How do we feel about this plan...

Draft Zach Wilson at 2

Keep Darnold

Let them battle it out in Training Camp - Start Darnold unless Wilson proves he's ready (most rookie QB's gain by sitting at the start of their career, get used to the NFL, get used to game days, ect.)

If Darnold lights it up, it's a great problem to have because we are now in a Brees / Rivers situation....Darnold's trade value only increases.

If Darnold stinks, we play Wilson and probably still get a 2nd or 3rd for Darnold from some QB needy team who thinks they can work with him.

Would this be a Win-Win situation for the Jets? 

Or would this turn into a media circus, with constant questions and attention paid to this situation ad nauseum? 

Maybe Both?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 8
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

If we draft Wilson, Darnold will be gone.

There's no upside to having your former franchise QB looking over the shoulder of your future franchise QB.

If Wilson is the pick, the Jets will have a guy like Alex Smith, Chase Daniel or Nick Mullens backing him up.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

A QB controversy won't do either of them any good especially in the confidence level department. 

If Zach Wilson is the pick at #2 Sam Darnold needs to be traded. 

Not sure. Browns didn’t start Baker and he came of the bench whooped our ass and brought the city of Cleveland free beer. Maybe Sam plays ok abs another team loses QB and we get a first off a desperate team. Plus having Zack may cause Sam to miss Josh less 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

Not sure. Browns didn’t start Baker and he came of the bench whooped our ass and brought the city of Cleveland free beer. Maybe Sam plays ok abs another team loses QB and we get a first off a desperate team. Plus having Zack may cause Sam to miss Josh less 

You lost me at free beer. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, MaybeOneDay said:

If Darnold stinks, we play Wilson and probably still get a 2nd or 3rd for Darnold from some QB needy team who thinks they can work with him.

WHEN Darnold stinks, he'll be a free agent after the season.  What's your plan for that?  Give him the 5th year option 6 weeks from now?  Franchise and trade?  Good luck with that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Please make it stop.

No fanbase has ever been this obsessed over a completely sh!tty player.  Its unreal.

The Darnold bobblehead on your nightstand is going to have to be tossed into the trash.  Just accept it.

We draft Wilson we will be doing it again, 

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Please make it stop.

No fanbase has ever been this obsessed over a completely sh!tty player.  Its unreal.

The Darnold bobblehead on your nightstand is going to have to be tossed into the trash.  Just accept it.

Hopefully you aren't repeating this in 3 years.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

i don't see why it would be a problem.  these guys have been competing for their jobs their whole careers.  wilson only became the full time starter this season at byu.  if either of these guys fold because they have a competition then they're not worth having.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

i don't see why it would be a problem.  these guys have been competing for their jobs their whole careers.  wilson only became the full time starter this season at byu.  if either of these guys fold because they have a competition then they're not worth having.

Yep, well put. 

Not sure where this Darnold will suddenly "light it up" concept originated in Jet World.  Delusion?  Variation of Stockholm Syndrome?

Please, for the love of the Dear Lord, move on from Darnold.  Start a new chapter in our history with a new QB.  W've seen what this one has "accomplished" the last three seasons.  I, for one, am not willing to throw away another year on speculation or the false hope that Darnold will miraculously thrive as an NFL QB.   

• Upvote 2

Here's what I don't get: everyone agrees that if we draft Wilson we would want to have a vet QB around next season. Why can't that be Darnold for 1 year (if there are no FMV offers being made)?

If you say no, who are the options left out there that you want and at what cost?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Here's what I don't get: everyone agrees that if we draft Wilson we would want to have a vet QB around next season. Why can't that be Darnold for 1 year (if there are no FMV offers being made)?

If you say no, who are the options left out there that you want and at what cost?

Chase Daniel, 2 years, $6M.

I would prefer Alex Smith, but I don't think he'll sign for cheap.

Darnold staying with Wilson is a bad idea.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Draft Zach Wilson at 2

Keep Darnold

Let them battle it out in Training Camp - Start Darnold unless Wilson proves he's ready (most rookie QB's gain by sitting at the start of their career, get used to the NFL, get used to game days, ect.)

If Darnold lights it up, it's a great problem to have because we are now in a Brees / Rivers situation....Darnold's trade value only increases.

Or would this turn into a media circus, with constant questions and attention paid to this situation ad nauseum? 

Maybe Both?

All the usual suspects will down vote you, because they're losers who don't believe in competition.

Just like they didn't want Darnold to have to EARN his #1 job, now they don't want the new golden boy to have to earn HIS #1 job.

Heaven forbid anyone has to actually work hard and prove anything before they get the crown and throne, right?

They love making the same mistakes over and over again, hyped up draft pick, no competition, they bust, rinse repeat.

We're basically Cleveland.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, MaybeOneDay said:

Draft Zach Wilson at 2

Keep Darnold

Maybe Both?

A player gets drafted at #2 overall you start them.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTJetsFan said:

I'd be on board with Alex Smith, even if it costs more, just to be a solid mentor to Wilson.

Smith would be my preference, but he probably either gets a well-paid backup job or retires. And I don't think the Jets will want to spend a lot on a backup QB this year.

Daniel has a good history as the smart backup type, and is reputed to be valuable in the film room. I'd take him on a cheap deal.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LockeJET said:

If the plan is to trade Sam and draft Wilson I personally believe we screwed ourselves by letting all the quarterback chips fall. We probably could’ve gotten a second round pick for Sam earlier and now would be lucky to get a third. 

We can get a 2nd from Carolina, their fans are going off the deep end, they going to be left out in the cold.

19 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Not sure where this Darnold will suddenly "light it up" concept originated in Jet World.  Delusion?  Variation of Stockholm Syndrome?

Please, for the love of the Dear Lord, move on from Darnold.  Start a new chapter in our history with a new QB.  W've seen what this one has "accomplished" the last three seasons.  I, for one, am not willing to throw away another year on speculation or the false hope that Darnold will miraculously thrive as an NFL QB.   

Darnold feety pajamas and bobbleheads.  Its the only explanation.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Warfish said:

All the usual suspects will down vote you, because they're losers who don't believe in competition.

Just like they didn't want Darnold to have to EARN his #1 job, now they don't want the new golden boy to have to earn HIS #1 job.

Heaven forbid anyone has to actually work hard and prove anything before they get the crown and throne, right?

They love making the same mistakes over and over again, hyped up draft pick, no competition, they bust, rinse repeat.

We're basically Cleveland.  

We wish we were Cleveland. 

• Haha 1

If wilson is not ready to start in 2021 find someone else to stand in, I think we have put Sam trough enough hardship at the jets without this scenario. Talk about kicking poor Sam while he is down. Let him go and have a real opportunity somewhere else.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

A QB controversy won't do either of them any good especially in the confidence level department. 

If Zach Wilson is the pick at #2 Sam Darnold needs to be traded. 

If Zach Wilson can't handle a little competition then we shouldn't be taking him at #2.  I want the guy who says, "I don't care who they have at quarterback, I'll beat him in Camp."

This was part of the problem with Sanchez.  The Jets gave him a little bonus contract after drafting Geno Smith because his feelings got hurt.  Geez.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

If Zach Wilson can't handle a little competition then we shouldn't be taking him at #2.  I want the guy who says, "I don't care who they have at quarterback, I'll beat him in Camp."

Why? Hasn't there been enough drama here the last 52 years. 

8 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why? Hasn't there been enough drama here the last 52 years. 

Drama, yes.  Winning, no.  Let's shake it up dude.  Make these wussies compete a little bit.  What's the problem with that?  Who says you can't keep the starter (Aaron Rodgers) while you draft a potential 1st round replacement (Jordan Love) or keep Carson Wentz all season while you use a high 2nd round pick on Jalen Hurts?

This isn't Little League.  If a guy gets rattled because someone might be gunning for his job then so be it.  I'd want to find that out pretty quickly.  We drafted Quinnen Williams at #3 after having Leo Williams (a #6) on the roster.

• Upvote 1