The Douglas Decision: Wilson vs this—

Without a QB you're nothing, this is not the NBA where a good team can get a superstar on free agency and then become a championship team, superstars qb don't hit free agency. You can have a boat load of picks, but you're going to have to trade they to go up in the draft and get a QB so this mat is kinda flawed.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, slats said:

What if Wilson doesn’t live up to the hype, though? 

Gonna be a tough call for JD if Carolina offers the #8, their second this year, and firsts in 2022 & 2023. Or maybe not. But that’s where the price is about now. 

Then you live with it. We already know what Sam is. Time to give it another go. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

They could have 50 picks over the next 3 years but if the QB sucks it won’t matter. I rather not pass up on Wilson and just use the same haul the Niners used to move up for a QB next year. 

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’d say Fields too, but that will just derail the question. 

What you’re seeing below could be the Jets if they trade back (more or less). Are you all that set on Wilson. Put your GM cap on for a moment and ruminate. 

265C3F81-AB96-4C08-8532-DB4BC83C244E.jpeg

It's tough to argue with @Tranquilo's assessment.

All of those picks + Tua... I'm not so certain that's better than Zach Wilson + 23 this year, 2 firsts next year and whatever bag of trailmix we get thrown for Sam Darnold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What you’re seeing below could be the Jets if they trade back (more or less). Are you all that set on Wilson. Put your GM cap on for a moment and ruminate. 

There is no trade back now.

Get used to hoping you're wrong about Wilson Paradis.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

They didnt give up any picks to move up 6 spots?

Who cares though, we can't control what they traded for or what they'll turn those picks into.

We have to put the best team on the field and right now that seems to point to Wilson 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Other than you taking a bow and living in a fantasy world where we're not taking Wilson and we're planning an even bigger bester trade down, what did I miss.

No mate, I think I'll stick with my first comment:  Get used to hoping you're wrong about Wilson.  Same as me.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Other than you taking a bow and living in a fantasy world where we're not taking Wilson and we're planning an even bigger bester trade down, what did I miss.

No mate, I think I'll stick with my first comment:  Get used to hoping you're wrong about Wilson.  Same as me.

Great talking to you. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Or maybe Carolina sees where the bar has been set and says we'll wait for Watson to be dealt

The bigger point is the 49rs could have offered that trade to the Jets and if the Jets were interested in moving down they'd still be negotiating for the much more valuable #2.  Think its pretty obvious the Jets are standing pat and taking a QB.  

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

What if the QB they draft is bad? Gee I dunno slats that's gonna be some real unprecedented territory for us and I guess we'll have to learn how to deal with such a unique situation.

Lol, exactly! 

All the hype around this low level competition QB with the surgically repaired throwing shoulder has me more than a little nervous. 

• Upvote 1

The real question in my mind is how much better is Wilson than Darnold?

If Wilson will be a significant improvement then you take him at #2 regardless of the opportunity cost associated with not trading down.

If Wilson turns out to be only 10% better than Sam then sticking and picking will be a bad move.

And for those asking, "Well, what do you mean by 10% better?  How do you quantify that?"  A data driven answer would be QB Rating.  According to the link below Sam Darnold had a Rating of 68.  A 10% improvement would put him at approximately 75 and on par with guys like Teddy Bridgewater and Tua Tagovailoa.

Click the link then click the RTG column heading to sort by QB Rating  --> https://www.lineups.com/nfl/quarterback-qb-stats

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Well, there's your problem. You are expecting something good to happen. And that's dumb.

Expecting? That would be dumb. It’s proven dumb enough to just simply hope. 

25 minutes ago, slats said:

What if Wilson doesn’t live up to the hype, though? 

Gonna be a tough call for JD if Carolina offers the #8, their second this year, and firsts in 2022 & 2023. Or maybe not. But that’s where the price is about now. 

would you do it? cause im all on the wilson hype train and leaning towards no.