The Douglas Decision: Wilson vs this—

15 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Paradis

With all due respect, JD himself has told you what he was likely to do. He said in his very first press conference that QB is the most important thing on a football team. The Jets realistically do not have a QB.

But here is the thing: The Jets could have done that. With the relationships between the teams it is almost certain that the Jets were offered that and maybe other trades already.

And they chose Wilson. A true franchise QB is worth more than the extra picks and it is not like the Jets are pick starved.

In fact if you look at your chart the Jets still have 1 1s. and 2nd and 2 3rds this year, so they are essentially just like a low 4th more than the Jets this year and next year the Jets are slightly better.

So in essence you are saying you would pass on Wilson for a 1st in 2023 and a fourth this year. Not going to happen. Because of Adams the Jets already have a lot of draft capital outside of #2. And they can likely get a 3rd for Sam at minimum. So even right now the situations are not that much different.

Wilson silenced all the knocks on him today. He is not small. He does not have small hands. He is in great shape and solid. And he showed that the skills he has matches his tape.

The Jets may have made that trade today instead of Mia if they had not decided on Wilson. 

I’m not saying sh*t. Just said this is the Douglas decision to make. I didn’t even say one way or the other only to entertain options and as usual, JN is prodding me now. Just like everything else counter to pop opinion. 

24 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Don't have to start paying Darnold to the year after next and based on what Winston and Trubisky signed for he's probably not going to break the bank.

But Darnold is cheap for a reason. Namely, he hasn’t proven he can be a consistently good QB in 38 NFL starts.

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

No I think it's clear Shanahan thinks he sucks and we want to run Shanahan's system.   I think Sam's value is lower today than it was before the SF trade.  I think we should take Wilson and I'm not convinced Douglas will because of how valuable the 2 pick is and how low Sams value is.  We don't have to give up anything to keep Sam.  Douglas probably likes that a lot.  

I suspect that you’re projecting a bit re: Shanahan’s eval on Darnold. I think his value is significantly higher than this board might lead one to believe. I also think we’ll eventually find out exactly what that value is - because while I don’t believe Wilson to the Jets is a done deal right now, I do think that’s the way it’s gonna end up. If that’s the case, Sam will likely be traded next week. 

Just now, slimjasi said:

But Darnold is cheap for a reason. Namely, he hasn’t proven he can be a consistently good QB in 38 NFL starts.

Agreed!  However if you look at guys Douglas signs it fits into his thinking which scares me.  I'm pretty hopeful we are going to take Wilson and move on.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m not saying sh*t. Just said this is the Douglas decision to make. I didn’t even say one way or the other only to entertain options and as usual, JN is prodding me now. Just like everything else counter to pop opinion. 

Oh wah wah dude. You play too many games and cry wolf after the fact. You go around talking about Pitts but wanna act like you didn’t mean what’s obvious in this post? Please. Please!

1 minute ago, slats said:

I suspect that you’re projecting a bit re: Shanahan’s eval on Darnold. I think his value is significantly higher than this board might lead one to believe. I also think we’ll eventually find out exactly what that value is - because while I don’t believe Wilson to the Jets is a done deal right now, I do think that’s the way it’s gonna end up. If that’s the case, Sam will likely be traded next week. 

I hope you're right!  I would love to take Wilson and get a haul for Sam.  It would be great for the Jets.  Don't see it but love to be wrong.

8 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Nothing confirmed for sure but what we do know according to Schefter is that the Niners spoke to every other team in the top 5 except the Jags and Jets. So just a bit speculation and inference. 

Just like Sam draft when we never spoke to Giants.  Strange then, strange now.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Oh wah wah dude. You play too many games and cry wolf after the fact. You go around talking about Pitts but wanna act like you didn’t mean what’s obvious in this post? Please. Please!

Thank you for inspiring me to continue trying to promote conversation in lieu of a circle jerk. 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

You can try but wheres the incentive on the part of Darnold to sign?

Youre exersizing the 5th year option.  

If you're going to trade for him the option is cheap if you believe in him.  It's only expensive if you don't believe in him.  Darnold incentive is he could end up signing a 1 year deal for the vet minimum if he sucks next year. 

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

If you're going to trade for him the option is cheap if you believe in him.  It's only expensive if you don't believe in him.  Darnold incentive is he could end up signing a 1 year deal for the vet minimum if he sucks next year. 

$18.whatever mil for a 3 year non productive QB is thievery 

Its only expensive if you compare him to QB who has produced as little as he has.

I like the kid, he has to prove hes worth almost $19 mil given his body of work

I will be happy with wilson, I think he is a pretty good looking prospect. 

I'd also be totally fine with a trade down.

How you acquire your QB to put you over the top has changed and will continue to change in the future.

It used to be your only option was to draft one, now you can get good to better than good vet Qbs.

Also as I've harped all off season, there is a feeling every year that omg! We have to get a QB! we don't have a really  good QB there will never be another good QB to draft!  Next years QB crop is weak!

And each year two or three guys emerge who are the new shizzle.  No one had a thought about Wilson this time last year, no one had a thought about burrow, no one had much of a thought have herbert.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I will be happy with wilson, I think he is a pretty good looking prospect. 

I'd also be totally fine with a trade down.

How you acquire your QB to put you over the top has changed and will continue to change in the future.

It used to be your only option was to draft one, now you can get good to better than good vet Qbs.

Also as I've harped all off season, there is a feeling every year that omg! We have to get a QB! we don't have a really  good QB there will never be another good QB to draft!  Next years QB crop is weak!

And each year two or three guys emerge who are the new shizzle.  No one had a thought about Wilson this time last year, no one had a thought about burrow, no one had much of a thought have herbert.

Which really good Vet QB is out there for the taking?  

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

$18.whatever mil for a 3 year non productive QB is thievery 

Its only expensive if you compare him to QB who has produced as little as he has.

I like the kid, he has to prove hes worth almost $19 mil given his body of work

A team that trades for him to start gets him super cheap this year.  Over the 2 years it's not expensive and the cap is going up by miles next year.  With the option if we trade him I think the new team is looking at under 5 million this year plus the option next year.  I believe we absorb the signing bonus that's on his cap this year.  About 23 million over 2 years.  Pretty cheap if you think he can be a starting NFL QB.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

A team that trades for him to start gets him super cheap this year.  Over the 2 years it's not expensive and the cap is going up by miles next year.  With the option if we trade him I think the new team is looking at under 5 million this year plus the option next year.  I believe we absorb the signing bonus that's on his cap this year.  About 23 million over 2 years.  Pretty cheap if you think he can be a starting NFL QB.  

Nothing cheap if hes a 30th rated shlt QB

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Nothing cheap if hes a 30th rated shlt QB

Which is why you wouldn't trade for him.  Neither would I.  I think people who think we're getting a low 1 or high 2 for him are nuts.  I hope they're right it's good for the Jets.

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Which really good Vet QB is out there for the taking?  

None right now, but Stafford was traded, Watson will most likely move in the future Russel Wilson musing about being moved, Brady just won the superbowl.  Green Bay won't keep Love and Rogers forever.

In the past you never would see names like this come out until they were all but finished.

• Sympathy 1

This was my preferred plan all along but after seeing what they did in free agency it really makes no sense to throw Darnold out there again not enough was done offensively for him to succeed next year.   Draft a QB, have him sit half the year, and you have another year of free agency and drafting around him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, undertow said:

This was my preferred plan all along but after seeing what they did in free agency it really makes no sense to throw Darnold out there again not enough was done offensively for him to succeed next year.  

legit take

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, undertow said:

This was my preferred plan all along but after seeing what they did in free agency it really makes no sense to throw Darnold out there again not enough was done offensively for him to succeed next year.   Draft a QB, have him sit half the year, and you have another year of free agency and drafting around him.

They still have three picks in the top 34 to add. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, slats said:

They still have three picks in the top 34 to add. 

We have one good o-lineman you are not building a line in one draft it's gonna be a process.   And it makes no sense to throw Darnold out there again with a half assed line and no running game.

3 minutes ago, undertow said:

We have one good o-lineman you are not building a line in one draft it's gonna be a process.   And it makes no sense to throw Darnold out there again with a half assed line and no running game.

If they add a starting G/C at #23, the OL all of a sudden doesn’t look too bad. Especially with a new scheme and coaching. And if they opt to stick with Sam, that means trading back to 8(?), taking a premium OT/TE/WR there and adding another second round pick. They’re not done improving the team. Not by a long shot. 

• Sympathy 1

Plan A - trade with Carolina for king's ransom.

Plan B - draft Wilson (or Fields). Trade Sam and picks for Denver's #9. Get second premium pick in this year's draft.

Plan C - draft Wilson (or Fields). Keep Sam and let the two QBs compete for the starting job.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

They could have 50 picks over the next 3 years but if the QB sucks it won’t matter. I rather not pass up on Wilson and just use the same haul the Niners used to move up for a QB next year. 

They won 10 games last year with journeyman Fitzpatrick and garbage Tua.  

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Or maybe Carolina sees where the bar has been set and says we'll wait for Watson to be dealt

The bigger point is the 49rs could have offered that trade to the Jets and if the Jets were interested in moving down they'd still be negotiating for the much more valuable #2.  Think its pretty obvious the Jets are standing pat and taking a QB.  

If Watson sits out this year of his own choosing, do Texans lose a year of control or does DW play ‘22 under the terms of’21?

2 minutes ago, slats said:

If they add a starting G/C at #23, the OL all of a sudden doesn’t look too bad. Especially with a new scheme and coaching. And if they opt to stick with Sam, that means trading back to 8(?), taking a premium OT/TE/WR there and adding another second round pick. They’re not done improving the team. Not by a long shot. 

Expecting to add that many rookies to the line, all of them to be hits, and expecting them to gel immediately isn't realistic.  If you kept Darnold he needs to pop immediately and not enough was done for that to happen IMO.  I've come to terms with the fact it makes more sense to move on and reset the clock.