The Douglas Decision: Wilson vs this—

14 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

We haven't had a real franchise QB since Namath. I could care less how many extra picks we have. We already have a ton ( two 1s this and next and probably two 2s, two 3s). You can only sign so many players on a team. Should we have to renew 50% of the teams contact one year and 50% the next year. That's not smart business. You go with the best possible QB talent you can find this year in a strong QB class. Wilson looks like he can be elite. How many years can we kick the can down the road, we've been doing it since the early 70s. Did I say we already have a ton of picks?

How did you feel about Darnold when he was drafted? Just curious. I don’t get the Wilson hype.

18 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Without a QB you're nothing, this is not the NBA where a good team can get a superstar on free agency and then become a championship team, superstars qb don't hit free agency. You can have a boat load of picks, but you're going to have to trade they to go up in the draft and get a QB so this mat is kinda flawed.

I agree. I also think that the Jets already have a QB that'll turn out to be excellent, his name is Sam Darnold. He's better than any of the second tier QB's in this draft. Just give him a offensive scheme that fits his skill set and an OL that can actually block. Adding Corey Davis to a healthy Mims and picking up a WR with #23 or #34 will give him some real NFL level talent to throw to.

The facts are that no matter who played QB for the Jets they would have looked just as bad as Sam. QB play is directly affected by the talent (or lack of) on the team and the HC.

Gase was as bad a coach as Idzak and Mac were as GM's and those guys were responsible for the crap product the Jets put out on the field.

Sam has shown many flashes - the last four games of his rookie season - and at times after he recovered from mono. That season we finished 6-2. That's enough reason to roll with him next season while JD builds the foundation of the Jets.

• Upvote 1

200.gif
The Zach Wilson hype is starting to approach Tebow levels. Kid goes from I never seen a single fan on this board talking about him last season to the 2nd overall pick in the draft. All I got to say is I sure hope Joe Douglas is making the call and not ownership looking to excite the fan base.
Me too ... which is why Wilson will be the pick.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, Greensleeves said:

Don't you think SF approached us first (minus a few spots) given their relationship? The SF trade just underscores how set we are to pick a QB and also if SF is willing to give up all that to take the third best QB this year instead of just a #2 for Sam, we know what they think about Sam unfortunately. 

I suspect SF did approach the Jets and the Jets either told them they had no interest in moving all the way down to #12, or the price was much more than SF was willing to pay. 

They're in a position where they can draft a QB and let him sit all or most of the year behind Garoppolo. That rookie will be under contract for four years for a few million more than Darnold would cost the next two. That's a business decision, and probably the right call. 

At this point in time, maybe another team would give the Jets a third round pick for Darnold. 

So, the Jets could dispose of their option value for Darnold in exchange for the next Ashtyn Davis, Jabari Zuniga, Jacqai Polite or Chuma Edoga.

I would rather use Darnold as a backup/competition/tackling dummy, see if the coaches can fix him, and then flip him if necessary either before the trading deadline or in a tag and trade.

Who knows?  Maybe the Jets pick Wilson and Darnold looks better with the new staff.  Great!  Tag/extend him and trade Wilson!  

It just seems like trading Darnold now is like trying to sell a car without washing it.