Mosely--Another perspective

15 hours ago, Alworth said:

Yes, we are stuck with him for cap reasons. But assuming he's motivated and 80% of what he was two years ago he could prove useful. While the two OLBs can fill out Saleh's six man zone pass defenses; Mosely can give the not-very-bulky four man DL needed run support. And as an additional responsibility, after reading pass, patrol the short middle. Even at 80% he can plug holes as well as Bart Scott Scott can and would be more agile than Scott. So while I think his ceiling and snap count are a bit limited in the Salah scheme,, he shouldn't be an albatross for the team (before he's cut or takes a pay haircut next off season). 

From a cap and team building perspective you really want to trade this guy before training camp happens - Even if its for a 4th or 5th. 

His contract next year is terrible. Especially for his age. You could get anyone for the at price. 

He is a team leader that has been gone for over a year. Last thing you need is him coming back to the team and people getting upset when hes moved. Right now hes like a ghost which is why hes gotta go at the draft. 

• Upvote 1

From a cap and team building perspective you really want to trade this guy before training camp happens - Even if its for a 4th or 5th. 
His contract next year is terrible. Especially for his age. You could get anyone for the at price. 
He is a team leader that has been gone for over a year. Last thing you need is him coming back to the team and people getting upset when hes moved. Right now hes like a ghost which is why hes gotta go at the draft. 
Dunno ... we have control forn3 more years ... if he is as dominant as he was ... might be a keeper.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

53 minutes ago, Alworth said:

9 INT in the five years means 1.8 per year, which is more than respectable for an ILB. If he played 10 good years, we would be impressed in this era by an 18 interception total for any type of linebacker. More importantly he had 35 passes defensed.--seven per year. That's also impressive in this era for an LB.

Talk to Ravens fans about him and they will probably tell you the same thing.  I have Ravens fan friends and this was the gripe.  Just like it was for us with our prized safety (who was so bad in coverage that his average PD's per season is exactly the same as Mosely's.)   I hope Mosley plays well in Saleh's def.  Not quite sure how he will fit.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Talk to Ravens fans about him and they will probably tell you the same thing.  I have Ravens fan friends and this was the gripe.  Just like it was for us with our prized safety (who was so bad in coverage that his average PD's per season is exactly the same as Mosely's.)   I hope Mosley plays well in Saleh's def.  Not quite sure how he will fit.  

I'm a big believer in the "eyeball test'. Numbers can lie, So hometown input is fair. But which 3-4 ILBs, Ravens or not, did they have in mind as superior

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

Mosley hasn’t done anything to get the rap he’s getting from this board.  He signed a ginormous **** You money contract- anyone would have, not his fault.  He was locked in for his first game mentally and physically primed but his injury snowballed. Then COVID freaked him out as it did everybody.

He’s been nothing but a quiet absolute stud since day one in the NFL. There’s been zero reason to think he’s not as motivated as ever, he always has been. The guy has a well-earned pristine reputation, let’s not sully it without any evidence.

You sully the player name you use as you moniker.  CJ is a V A G I N A !

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Interesting post. We could take a fifth rounder because it's money in the bank, while even as a Mosely fan in my posts, I share the concerns, to a degree about fitness (and to a lesser degree desire).

On the other hand a trade for  a fifth isn't all gravy. It's good cap wise (manageable hit as opposed to a cut). But will we find a partner? Can we handle further depletion of the linebacker group and more restocking. More restocking means using the draft or FA capital.  So while a trade for a fifth (if possible) is not bad  using CJ this year and cutting him next year with a five million net increase in our available cap next year isn't bad either.

As to the locker room stuff. i think it's a good argument in the case of Marcus Maye, where there could be a morale hit if the Jets turn down a reasonable deal. But in CJ's case, I'm sure the players realize that he is overpaid in 2022 as it stands now.

What? Mosley is a 4 time pro-bowler and a 4 time second team All Pro. 

Mosley at 80% would still be the best Jets LB since...since...I actually don’t recall a top Jets ILB/MLB. 

Mosley is the guy to push this D to the next level and possibly the reason why Jets won’t seem as bad at the CB spot. 

People think a 1 year gap is like a death sentence for a 28 year old pro bowler. 

• Sympathy 1

Never understood the hate for dude ... He balled out and got hurt first game (people get injured) . Opted out for Covid( not sure if you get paid by opting out,,don't think you do) He's healthy and his skill set was undeniable what's makes you think he won't ball out again? He come back , be a leader and leading tackler again .

Sent from my SM-G996U using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, PepPep said:

That is BS. You are hating him for no reason. 

You can't possibly blame a PLAYER for signing a contract that benefits the PLAYER. That's absurd. What was he supposed to say. "No, sorry guys, I'm stopping negotiations right here, you are simply offering me too much money!"

He played his heart out, played lights out and got injured. You can't really blame a player for that. 

Last year he made a decision to protect his family and sit out due to a f***ing pandemic. It was well within his right and chose to do so. As did many other players. 

The bar pictures have been long debunked as being old. 

As I just explain in my previous post. I don't see CJ struggling at all to transition to a 4-3 Mike. I think a lot of people are overthinking things. If he shows up in shape and stays healthy he should be fine. 

That's fine and all. But he quit. I'd be shocked if he plays a down for the Jets ever again.

15 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I don't hate him. I just think he's a cowardly, malingering thief.

it's easy to put mosely in the same money grabbing vets in the mold of trumaine or wilky.  the jets certainly haven't had much luck landing productive big name free agents.  but he certainly did put on a pretty good show in that buffalo game until he went out and he chose to sit out this past season at no cost to the jets.  does anyone think his presence would've helped them win more games?  maybe but then the jets would be picking in the 5-10 range and that would create some issues.  and maybe adams would've kept his mouth closed if mosely was in the locker room.  the bottom line it's all water under the bridge.  we should all hope mosely wants to come back and play with the fire he showed two seasons ago.  if he mails it in then you will be right.

• Upvote 1