This new regime is tied to the QB that starts in September.

36 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

So if you are Joe Douglas, Saleh and LaFleur, who do you hitch your wagon too. Sam who still has potential but really hasn’t show anything that would make you go wow.   Zach who is now QB 2 in the draft or trade number to for a boat load of picks.   

My choice is trade Sam, take Zach.  Reset the salary of your QB. Stay the course if building with young guys.  Add a couple of locker room guys.  Hold the fort guys.  

and go back to the old uniforms.  

I think they can sell to the public and more importantly the ownership that they want to wait a year to ultimately hitch their wagon to "their guy" IF they kept Sam and let this year play out. It is for this reason that I believe trading out is/was a possibility knowing how much JD loves the draft. If they traded for DW or draft a QB in the 1st round anywhere, that is this regime picking their guy. I still believe we could see JD trade back still, likely with Carolina, and sell this idea of "punting", on not the season per say, but the decision on the QB of this regime for one more year. 

• Upvote 3

i'm not so sure douglas is tied to anyone, even the no. 2 pick if it's a qb.  sure there will be people that will howl either way, success or failure but if the qb fails then it'll be some other guy.  i think we're kind of reaching the end of the 10 year qb, at least on one team.  brady showed how esy it was to jump from one team and have great success with another.  peyton did it too but it was more obvious his skills were in decline.  and i don't see teams so willing to put 20-25% of the cap into one position.

50 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

So if you are Joe Douglas, Saleh and LaFleur, who do you hitch your wagon too. Sam who still has potential but really hasn’t show anything that would make you go wow.   Zach who is now QB 2 in the draft or trade number to for a boat load of picks.   

My choice is trade Sam, take Zach.  Reset the salary of your QB. Stay the course if building with young guys.  Add a couple of locker room guys.  Hold the fort guys.  

Fields, who won't snap like a twig? 

I actually have no idea. 

Wilson or Fields. Either could be great, mediocre or actually not good.

Glad I'm not paid to decide, since I have no idea.

Then again, McGaggin' got paid to decide and he had no idea either. 

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, slats said:

Nope. 

If they draft a QB high, they're tied to that guy. That's the make or break career move. 

If they trade out of the pick and trot Darnold out there, they're not tied to anything. They're evaluating Sam for one year under the new staff to see if they can work with him while adding a handful of premium picks to build the rest of the team. Sticking with Darnold just punts that make or break career move back a year. That's it. Unless, of course, Sam clicks. Then they all get to look like geniuses. 

This.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

Nope. 

If they draft a QB high, they're tied to that guy. That's the make or break career move. 

If they trade out of the pick and trot Darnold out there, they're not tied to anything. They're evaluating Sam for one year under the new staff to see if they can work with him while adding a handful of premium picks to build the rest of the team. Sticking with Darnold just punts that make or break career move back a year. That's it. Unless, of course, Sam clicks. Then they all get to look like geniuses. 

I disagree. If any QBs that the Jets pass on, become good quality starters and Sammy continues to be....well, Sammy...then the obvious mistake will haunt this FO. When you make the argument that they could package all that draft capital they acquired by passing on QB this year, then you're replaying the mistake the last FO made clinging to the hope Hackenberg would turn around. You can't claim that Sam's talent and potential were the things that brought you to the Jets and then turn around and exclaim that he wasn't your guy when the opportunity (provided to you by Sam's awful play) presents itself to move on. JD and Saleh are married to whomever they trot out at QB next year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

If Wilson is the league darling next season, that'll be something of an issue, I'll grant you that. And if Wilson falls on his face, it won't be. Can't worry about who's not on your team and what they're doing. 

If Darnold doesn't play well again, but the draft appears to be impressive and the coaching looks good and the only -or primary- weak link appears to be the QB, they address it next year with three firsts in 2022 and two more in 2023 to make a deal happen. 

It’s not just about Wilson, what if another QB taken in the first has an amazing rookie season? The odds are way higher a QB picked in the first will have immediate impact vs a fourth year starter having a rare turnaround.

Joe Douglas can’t and won’t escape the criticism of passing on a QB this year because Darnold is the worst starting QB on a expiring contract and we have the pick of the litter in a draft class so highly touted “QB gurus” are mortgaging their teams future for the 3rd best one. 

• Upvote 4

The pressure is on JD.  He can’t really claim anymore that the combination of Wilson, Fields and Lance is not good enough to use at 2 because the 49ers, who recently went to the SB, just traded a boat load of picks to trade up to 3, basically getting Jets leftovers.  

So if he trades down and one of the QBs turns out better than Darnold, he is toast.  So now he has to select the right one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

More than a specific QB, the new Jets regime will hitch its wagon to the LaFleur/Shanahan style of offence. 

San Francisco obviously didn't think Darnold can run that system effectively, or they wouldn't have given up the farm for QB3 in this draft when they could have had Sam for a second rounder. If the Niners do not think Darnold can be effective in such a scheme, why would the Jets? 

Now who the best play-action college QB in the country? Zach Wilson easily. You can bet Mike LeFleur is banging the table for this guy, and he's probably not alone. It would make no sense for the Jets to now pivot to a different rookie who is less adept and has less experience of a Shanahan system.  

Given his prowess in the west coast offence, if Wilson fails at the Jets, it's unlikely any future replacement would do any better in the same system. So in that sense at least, the Jets are tied to Wilson if he is indeed the guy who starts in September. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, freestater said:

I disagree. If any QBs that the Jets pass on, become good quality starters and Sammy continues to be....well, Sammy...then the obvious mistake will haunt this FO. When you make the argument that they could package all that draft capital they acquired by passing on QB this year, then you're replaying the mistake the last FO made clinging to the hope Hackenberg would turn around. You can't claim that Sam's talent and potential were the things that brought you to the Jets and then turn around and exclaim that he wasn't your guy when the opportunity (provided to you by Sam's awful play) presents itself to move on. JD and Saleh are married to whomever they trot out at QB next year. 

Listen, I've said all along that if they fall in love with one of these QBs, they should take him. If they don't, they shouldn't. It's really that simple. 

Would it be an issue if Darnold stunk up the joint next year and Wilson was the next Mahomes? Sure. But it's not the same level of career threat that trading Darnold, drafting Wilson, and finding out that Wilson is a bigger, douchier bust than Sam ever was. If they pass on the QBs this year, that will most likely mean they still selected a player in the top ten this year (almost certainly offensive help), added another second rounder and additional firsts in the 2022 and 2023 drafts - giving them five first round picks over the following two years. The fish trade has everyone all googly-eyed over sticking with Tua and trading back three spots for a supplemental third round pick and a future first. I don't know how fans of those moves could criticize Joe Douglas for reaping a much larger score. 

If they have to reset at QB next year, they'll be well-armed to do so. If Watson is suddenly past these sexual harassment claims and available for trade before training camp, the Jets would be in the catbird seat with all their picks. Next year there'll be some new phenom nobody ever heard of, or maybe Rodgers or Russell Wilson is available. There's more than one way to fix the QB position and, if they do it well when the time comes, all will be forgiven. Not like if they take Zach and he busts. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Nope. 

If they trade out of the pick and Wilson is Dan Marino and Sam continues to be Ryan Leaf and Jets fans are gouging their eyes out of their head watching the Jets on offense next year it won't look like a punt.  It will look like a butt fumble.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If they trade out of the pick and Wilson is Dan Marino and Sam continues to be Ryan Leaf and Jets fans are gouging their eyes out of their head watching the Jets on offense next year it won't look like a punt.  It will look like a butt fumble.  

That would be the worst case scenario, but there are a variety of other ones. The difference is that the Jets would be in prime position to right the wrong the following year if they stuck with Darnold. If they go with Wilson and he busts, that's a much bigger problem and they won't have the two extra first round picks to fix it anytime soon. 

I'm optimistic about the offense they'll be running this year, the new WRs they've added, and the help that's on the way via the draft. I think Sam would do better than we've seen with the support and coaching he's had to date. But it's not about some mystical belief in Darnold, it's about maximizing the value of that #2 pick. IMHO, there's a very strong case to be made that trading down is the safer option. 

• Upvote 2

My God, some of you guys have already anointed JD like he's this draft guru.  His first draft was nothing to write home about.  If he had a couple of solid drafts under his belt, I could see the trade out of the two spot and gathering picks.  I say, play it safe and stay at two, see what he does with what picks we have.  By the way, Morgan says hi.  I still cannot believe this kid didn't see the field at least once on a 2-14 team...I would like to know JD's reasoning for that pick. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

If they trade out of the pick and trot Darnold out there, they're not tied to anything. They're evaluating Sam for one year under the new staff to see if they can work with him while adding a handful of premium picks to build the rest of the team. Sticking with Darnold just punts that make or break career move back a year. 

If they get FMV for #2 & punt QB to next year, man alive think of the value Houston can get for DW if he’s cleared.

With Miami potentially out of the DW sweepstakes & Carolina with far less draft power would you do DW (post complaint value) with #2 and #34 on draft night?

Edited by 32EBoozer

This isn’t true at all. If the Jets ultimately pass on a QB this year and take a haul of picks while keeping Sam for one more year, they aren’t tied to the hip with Sam if he fails. You do realize that there is a 2022 draft, right? There will also be a 2022 free agent class as well. This team isn’t close to being a contender. This team has so many holes they can rebuild this team in more ways than anyone can count. Your post title would be accurate if it said 2022 season.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

If I'm them, I hitch it to a draft pick if I believe in that QB. I don't draft a QB if I believe in Darnoldm if neither is true, I build around Darnold and see what he does this year - though I'd bring in some competition. Hopefully I get most of the pieces in place so I'm either set at QB or I'm drafting a QB with a solid team in place.

But either way my decision is focused only on studying all of the QBs. It's not based on resetting the clock, it's not based on what I think the owner or fans or anyone else thinks.
  • Upvote 2

If they keep Sam and he doesn't play well the excuses about not having a team around him will still float....because it's still true.

If they draft Z-Dubs he will get at least 2 years of...

1. They need to put pieces around him.
2. It's a new coaching staff

Either way it's a new staff and the team is NOT dramatically better personnel wise than last year.

This year is a push either way.

Sent from the Suicide Watch desk.

• Post of the Week 1

The pressure is on JD.  He can’t really claim anymore that the combination of Wilson, Fields and Lance is not good enough to use at 2 because the 49ers, who recently went to the SB, just traded a boat load of picks to trade up to 3, basically getting Jets leftovers.  
So if he trades down and one of the QBs turns out better than Darnold, he is toast.  So now he has to select the right one. 
Whomever the 49ers pick will look better than whoever we pick regardless. They have a better supporting cast.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

People act like a bunch of rookies are going to dramatically improve this team emoji38.pngemoji1787.png

There are a ton of positions where rookies can immediately impact the team. WR, QB, and DB take some time for the most part but o-line, RB, LB, and pass rushers can def hit the ground running.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

If they get FMV for #2 & punt QB to next year, man alive think of the value Houston can get for DW if he’s cleared.

With Miami potentially out of the DW sweepstakes & Carolina with far less draft power would you do DW (post complaint value) with #2 and #34 on draft night?

I think Miami is clear favorite in DW sweepstakes. He’s going nowhere this year, now they have more capital to trade next year. Tua gets a 1 year tryout.

watch Carolina trade back for more future picks too so they remain in the race

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

If Wilson is the league darling next season, that'll be something of an issue, I'll grant you that. And if Wilson falls on his face, it won't be. Can't worry about who's not on your team and what they're doing. 

If Darnold doesn't play well again, but the draft appears to be impressive and the coaching looks good and the only -or primary- weak link appears to be the QB, they address it next year with three firsts in 2022 and two more in 2023 to make a deal happen. 

My point wasnt that they would be off, scot free with Wilson, I just think JD would get blamed for not taking the QB and sticking with a QB who he should have known would fail.

I agree, he'll get blamed.  I just think he gets blamed either way he goes if it fails 

1 hour ago, jetspenguin said:

People act like a bunch of rookies are going to dramatically improve this team emoji38.pngemoji1787.png

So you can never get better with the draft.

Its all on FA?  

I'm not seeing this, look at the Dolphins etc

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why do Jets fans insist on making everything so complicated. From September to February this board was filled with hate for Sam and hopes for Lawrence. Now all of a sudden a group is so infatuated with draft picks that they want to roll with the guy they hated and hope he magically improves just "get one next year"

The 2nd worst team in the NFL with the 36th ranked QB (out of 32, so not even as good as backups) does not have a QB.

We have the #2 pick.

Both Wilson and Lawrence are both elite prospects.

Decision is really super easy: You pick a QB. PERIOD

By the way, Gil Brandt said today that in his opinion there might not even be a single QB in next years draft worth the #1 pick. He said someone might emerge but no guarantee.

But yeah, lets roll with a crappy QB and take one later. FFS

Because gase is gone and Lawrence, the kid who prob would have went number 1 in the last handful of drafts is not an option. There is a huge difference in ditching Sam for TL and ditching Sam for a kid that nobody knew and not a single way too early mock draft had listed as even a first rounder. Furthermore, nobody had a clue what head coach we’d be hiring let alone the next offensive system. People we’re saying trade Sam to SF because he’s a good fit for their system but news flash, it’s going to be the same system here. People want to trade out, including myself because we have an opportunity to have multiple first round and second round picks for 3 years in a row. We have a chance to take multiple shots at elite draft prospects for the next 3 seasons and possibly have 3 first round picks next year or....we do what we did 3 seasons ago and put all of our hopes into one qb prospect that will have a bad team around him from the get go. I don’t know if Sam will turn it around or not and I don’t think most people necessarily care if he turns it around or not but for the guys like myself who have been following this team for 20+ years, I’d rather see this team do a slow rebuild with premium picks and draft the qb of the future when there is enough talent around him to succeed.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, J_Smith said:

I think Miami is clear favorite in DW sweepstakes. He’s going nowhere this year, now they have more capital to trade next year. Tua gets a 1 year tryout.

watch Carolina trade back for more future picks too so they remain in the race

Unless the Jets get a haul to drop to #4;#7;#8 or #9. Then we probably have a better shot because Miami is further along in their rebuild… Meaning we will have higher selections

Edited by 32EBoozer

52 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I find it kind of funny that many of the same people here who continue to sh*t on Maccagnan for passing on Watson and Mahomes are now advocating that we pass on every QB in this class for another year of Sam.  There are 3-4 extremely strong QB prospects in this class (depending on what you think of Mac Jones).  The chances of some of them being very good is high enough that if you blow it and pass on them, it will follow you forever.  Especially if Sam sucks again, which is, sadly, more likely than not.  Unless you are getting 4 first round picks (I don’t believe anyone is giving this up), it’s an absolute waste to trade out.

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again while expecting different results.“

this up here GIF by Chord Overstreet

Great post!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1