My take on the Jets QB situation....

NYJ1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:50 AM, riggy001 said:

You can waste another month talking about trading down all you want. Its not happening. The events of the last few days clearly tell the story if you just pay attention, whether you choose to believe it or not is on you. The 49ers would have clearly moved to 2, if they had opportunity, cost would have been slightly more, but they know Douglas is drafting Wilson, so they obviously love Fields, Lance or Jones. I think its Lance. The eagles also know douglas and rappaport is good insider, and they also wanted Wilson , but could not get to 2, so traded back...

This is how I see it. JD keeps his card close but some things he just can't keep to himself and that's these kinds of moves done by other teams before the draft. Obviously, until the pick is called, we're all guessing. But it sure seems like at this point the Jets are pretty much locked in on Wilson at #2. 

I think Jet fans should get excited about the prospect of Wilson being a Jet with this coaching staff and added weapons. JD will draft a premium O-lineman and another receiver for Zach, I'm almost certain of that. This offense will be fun to watch. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

It will divide the locker room too. Darnold has loyal teammates that have looked up to him as a leader.  That matters and it will happen

I think JD and Saleh are and will continue to change the culture. Competition brings out the best in players. Yes, there will be some that view Sam as the guy, and some will view the incumbent as the guy, but these are professional athletes and they'll fall in line with whomever the coach decides on.  I'm not worried about this with the new coaching staff, now Gase and company is a different story.

2 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

I think JD and Saleh are and will continue to change the culture. Competition brings out the best in players. Yes, there will be some that view Sam as the guy, and some will view the incumbent as the guy, but these are professional athletes and they'll fall in line with whomever the coach decides on.  I'm not worried about this with the new coaching staff, now Gase and company is a different story.

There are better QBs on the market right now to provide competition than Darnold. So if you can get a pick for Darnold then sign Mullens to a 2 yr $8 million deal, that's the best of both worlds. You upgrade the QB situation and get an extra pick. That's the scenario people should be rooting for if you're looking out for the best interest of the Jets and not just Darnold.

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2021 at 10:53 AM, FidelioJet said:

Guys..

It's over.  They're trading Sam and taking Wilson.  

It really is time for the we don't need a good QB  crowd to just get on board with the idea that Zach Wilson will be the pick at 2.  

Correct. For those still clinging to conspiracy theories, who would be the trade partner giving up the equivalent of probably 3x first to move up?

Also, for the “nobody knows what JD is doing” crowd, EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOTHERS knew JD was taking a tackle last year. He basically announced it in press conferences.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, choon328 said:

There are better QBs on the market right now to provide competition than Darnold. So if you can get a pick for Darnold then sign Mullens to a 2 yr $8 million deal, that's the best of both worlds. You upgrade the QB situation and get an extra pick. That's the scenario people should be rooting for if you're looking out for the best interest of the Jets and not just Darnold.

This is a good option too.  I happen to still like the upside of Darnold more. However, I like this class of QBs, and I'm not willing to gamble on finding a QB next year if he fails. I'm not in love with next year's crop, though candidly I haven't done a thorough evaluation. I think we know what Mullens is. I'm not yet sure what Darnold is.

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

it's called prediction and all it takes to play the game is make an opinion and share it 

You might be right you might be wrong but either way it's fun

future prediction is hard. Ask any weather man or stock trader 

there are other branches of the multiverse where Wilson has a great career

but not in New York with this offense, not in the AFC east vs BB etc.  he's going to get here, be forced to start day 1 and get creamed behind a line with 1 good player and no real weapons 

Oh, I wasn't sure you meant it as a 'prediction'.  You state it with such absolute certainty. I doubt many people here would claim to be as sure as this as you sound.  In a couple of years you can come back and say you were so right.  Good luck.  

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Oh, I wasn't sure you meant it as a 'prediction'.  You state it with such absolute certainty. I doubt many people here would claim to be as sure as this as you sound.  In a couple of years you can come back and say you were so right.  Good luck.  

No one ever comes back to say you're right 

Being right has to be its own reward 

And what's my worst case scenario? Wilson's a hall of famer? 

I'll eat that crow. Raw. 

6 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'll eat that crow. Raw. 

OK. IOW, you haven't a clue how Wilson will be in the NFL.  Got it.  What's the over/under on how many more times you will announce that Wilson is a bust before the jets draft?   I've watched a bunch of his games over the last few weeks and I have zero clue how he will translate to the NFL other than people reaching conclusions because he is 6'2" rather than 6'3" as well as his lean build.  OK then.  Yeah, because that and the level of competition are all one needs to already know the ending to the story, right? :rolleyes:   

7 hours ago, bitonti said:

I'll eat that crow. Raw. 

Wilson is a Future IR Hall of Famer maybe

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, choon328 said:

This is likely the plan. Mullens is no great shakes, but would come in with an operating understanding of the offense to help the kid while also allegedly competing with him. If Wilson is the pick at #2, Darnold will be traded within the next couple weeks. I think Douglas will do better in that regard than the people here expecting a bag of chips back. 

19 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Correct. For those still clinging to conspiracy theories, who would be the trade partner giving up the equivalent of probably 3x first to move up?

Also, for the “nobody knows what JD is doing” crowd, EVERYBODY AND THEIR MOTHERS knew JD was taking a tackle last year. He basically announced it in press conferences.

I don't think anything's written in stone just yet, but it would have to come down to a team like Carolina or Denver making Joe Douglas an offer he can't refuse. I find it hard to believe that JD loves ZW so much that there's no offer that can pry him out of that pick. The 49ers package to Miami set the baseline. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

OK. IOW, you haven't a clue how Wilson will be in the NFL.  Got it.  What's the over/under on how many more times you will announce that Wilson is a bust before the jets draft?   I've watched a bunch of his games over the last few weeks and I have zero clue how he will translate to the NFL other than people reaching conclusions because he is 6'2" rather than 6'3" as well as his lean build.  OK then.  Yeah, because that and the level of competition are all one needs to already know the ending to the story, right? :rolleyes:   

I have no faith in his ability to survive nfl punishment 

It's that simple 

He's small, frail, slow and weak by nfl qb standards 

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I have no faith in his ability to survive nfl punishment 

It's that simple 

He's small, frail, slow and weak by nfl qb standards 

Literally none of that is even remotely true.  You made 4 claims there have been disproved with facts - on this board alone - dozens of times..

And what's most sad is you've seen them all, everyone on here has seen them all yet you continue to spew them as fact.

You want to make a "prediction" that he's going to be hurt, so be it - no problem there....but to continue to repeat things that are factually inaccurate is just trolling and weak minded.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Literally none of that is even remotely true.  You made 4 claims there have been disproved with facts - on this board alone - dozens of times..

And what's most sad is you've seen them all, everyone on here has seen them all yet you continue to spew them as fact.

You want to make a "prediction" that he's going to be hurt, so be it - no problem there....but to continue to repeat things that are factually inaccurate is just trolling and weak minded.

Tbh the 49ers proved everything you, me and others have been saying about the upside of this rookie QB class. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

yeah, I see it as trolling too.  the same opinions are being expressed over and over again as if they were facts...  It's almost like "if I keep repeating myself over and over, then people will believe it's true" kind of thinking.  

I know for me, I want a QB who can make quick decisions and smart ones.  We have not seen that on the Jets since Favre was here and before that Pennington, pre-shoulder blow out.   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Alternative facts. We've gotten used to them the last few years. 

27 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The key phrase is by nfl standards

And I stand by the statement 

Weak. What's his bench press? Oh that's right he hasn't lifted weights since freshman year 

What's his 40? He didn't run that means he's slower than we thought 

His height gee he's David carr or Andy Dalton. Smaller than the average (darnold is about average)

Frail? Injury history and medical still pending. He's also 214 minus 10 pounds of water weight 

The dude just isn't special. At least not in any way humans can measure 

Just because Russell Wilson is short and Brady has no muscle mass that does not mean that wilson is those guys. He could be brooks Bollinger tho 

He's special in your mind because you love him. I guess that's something 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

yeah, I see it as trolling too.  the same opinions are being expressed over and over again as if they were facts...  It's almost like "if I keep repeating myself over and over, then people will believe it's true" kind of thinking.  

I know for me, I want a QB who can make quick decisions and smart ones.  We have not seen that on the Jets since Favre was here and before that Pennington, pre-shoulder blow out.   

It's easy to make decisions throwing against the mountain west 

The only thing that Zach wilson does well, he's done it against garbage competition 

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The key phrase is by nfl standards

And I stand by the statement 

Weak. What's his bench press? Oh that's right he hasn't lifted weights since freshman year 

What's his 40? He didn't run that means he's slower than we thought 

His height gee he's David carr or Andy Dalton. Smaller than the average (darnold is about average)

Frail? Injury history and medical still pending. He's also 214 minus 10 pounds of water weight 

The dude just isn't special. At least not in any way humans can measure 

Just because Russell Wilson is short and Brady has no muscle mass that does not mean that wilson is those guys. He could be brooks Bollinger tho 

He's special in your mind because you love him. I guess that's something 

Wilson isn’t brooks bollinger.

He’s Kellen Clemens with injury problems