Justin Fields Pro Day 3/30 (for those still holding on)

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

3 #1s for a TE?

No

No Nut. 3 #1s for Wilson. Some in San Fran believe that there was conversation with the Jet's. When they found out the Jet's weren't drafting Wilson, they made that deal. Trading 3#1s for Jones. Hard to believe.

• Haha 1

Just now, genot said:

No Nut. 3 #1s for Wilson. Some in San Fran believe that there was conversation with the Jet's. When they found out the Jet's weren't drafting Wilson, they made that deal. Trading 3#1s for Jones. Hard to believe.

Again, why not trade those picks to the Jets to grab Wilson?  Why would the Jets want to see the Dolphins gain 2 extra 1st round picks when they could have them?

You think this is a plan?

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Again, why not trade those picks to the Jets to grab Wilson?  Why would the Jets want to see the Dolphins gain 2 extra 1st round picks when they could have them?

You think this is a plan?

See my Falcons post.

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I thought Fields was pretty impressive. It was definitely a Pro Day tailored to try and show the 49ers and Jets that he can work in their offense, borrowing liberally from the Wilson set of passes.

Fields showed good accuracy, velocity and a very good long ball.

But I do not think you can compare the Wilson pro day and Fields pro day. Wilson did it effortlessly. Faster release, more zip (at times) more fluid motion. Fields sort of threw at one speed and you could tell he was really working to do some of the throws.

I do find it interesting that Wilson had "bad weight" and was out of shape, when after watching Jones and Fields today both look more labored than he did.

To my eyes as a pure thrower, Fields is excellent, Wilson is signifcantly better and the tape shows that.

Fields is an elite athlete no doubt. I do find it interesting that Wilson is injury prone (having only one injury from actual game play and it was a hand) but Fields is more durable but got injured in the playoff game. 

But it seems to move people are forgetting a lot of what makes a great QB and that is football smarts, anticipation, awareness, play making ability and maybe most important informational retention.

What we see on both film and in these pro days do not even touch on these elements in the evaluation process.

Fields threw better than Jones today. But Jones is know to be fantastic at diagnosing plays, identifying receivers, knowing the offense, making quick decision, foortball intelligence and retention. Those things separate a NFL QB

Wilson is even better in those areas. People go on and on about how great his retention is, his work ethic, his understaning offenses,. and his anticipation, awareness and playmaking ability on the field.

What do we hear about Fields? For the most part that he is a great athlete.

It works for Lamar so maybe that is what you wanted. Paradis suggested it is what he wanted.

To me it is clear that Wilson is the best overall QB prospect in this draft. I would probably rank Fields 5th because I just do not see him adjusting to the speed and complexity of the NFL game. Does not mean in the right situation he cannot be successful for a few years until impact and wear and tear catch up to him. Wilson could be our QB for 15 years, 

I have to agree with this 100%

Fields had a nice day today.  IMO, he is going to be a decent/good NFL QB.  With that said nothing happened today that moves him past Wilson.  Wilson was just more smooth, relaxed, and natural.  

Has the workout moved Fields above Jones?  Perhaps, depends on how the observer viewed him before the Pro Day.

Myself, at this point, with it all done I have them

Wilson/Lawrence.............Honestly would take Wilson 1st, and hold my breath with his narrow frame, but he's got it all as a QB, head, and arm talent wise.

Lance....................Speaking of physical talent, this guys got it.  Wish he had played this year.

Jones/Fields..............Depends on what you are looking for in a QB

• Upvote 2

Just now, genot said:

If we don't draft Wilson, i think we work a deal with the Falcons. They get Fields. We get Pitts and some more picks.

We could have traded down with the SF pick and then came back to 6 like the Fish did.

Youre chasing 

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

We'll know soon enough. I think any team who blinds out coach-speak, group-think, and archaic evaluation methods should see Wilson as the top QB in the draft. Trevor Lawrence is overrated as well, but not to the point where he's not worthy of going top 3. I just don't see him as a generational prospect. 

Lawrence reminds me of Luck..

Luck was thought of as a generational  prospect and  while  he was very good he was inaccurate at times made mistakes at times ..but was always extremely dangerous.

Kinda of a much  better version of Eli in that they could shrug off bad starts to games and make amazing comebacks but they probably wouldn’t have needed to make that huge comeback if they played well early in the game..

1 hour ago, Stark said:

FOr me.. Wilson's level of competition and shoulder surgeries

He didn't miss any games because of the surgeries (TL just had same surgery on non throwing shoulder) and the level of comp is a red herring.  See Mahomes, Rothlisberger, Flacco and J. Allen.  If you can play, you can play, period.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Fields had a nice day today.  IMO, he is going to be a decent/good NFL QB.  With that said nothing happened today that moves him past Wilson.  Wilson was just more smooth, relaxed, and natural.  

Then you have to add the knock on Fields into the equation, which doesnt come out of a pro day, that hes a one read QB who doesnt do well if forced to go through progressions.  

And the real fly in the ointment is we have no idea what came out in the whiteboard, mental exercises that were part of their zoom calls

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

We could have traded down with the SF pick and then came back to 6 like the Fish did.

Youre chasing 

We could have. It's interesting though. Don't you think it's a little peculiar that the Niners would give up that much for a QB, not named Lawrence or Wilson.

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

He didn't miss any games because of the surgeries (TL just had same surgery on non throwing shoulder) and the level of comp is a red herring.  See Mahomes, Rothlisberger, Flacco and J. Allen.  If you can play, you can play, period.  

of course the dude named "JetBlue" loves Zach Wilson ;)

it's not the games he didn't miss it's what happens when he tears it again 

snip snap snip snap 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've seen this movie before....

Somehow this guy winds up in the filthy hands of BB and McDaniels in NE - where they turn him into the next Sith Lord... Meanwhile, Zach Wilson predictably Pennington's his shoulder year 2 and we enter into another dark era of Patriots rule, the likes of which many of us will not survive. 

I’ll puke if Fields winds up in New England

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

We'll know soon enough. I think any team who blinds out coach-speak, group-think, and archaic evaluation methods should see Wilson as the top QB in the draft. Trevor Lawrence is overrated as well, but not to the point where he's not worthy of going top 3. I just don't see him as a generational prospect. 

I’m with u !! I actually like Wilson over Tlaw . Rumors of believable are Douglas love Wilson !! Even over Lawrence . Winning those games might actually be positive 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

How many times did you see Wilson get harassed or even hurried on throws , sure OSU has a stacked roster but playing Bama , NW , Indiana , Clemson's defense is a little bit tougher than Coastal Carolina and the rest of the scrub teams BYU played. 

I have seen it plenty of times. Not sure which games you have seen. One of the more impressive things about Wilson that Scouts and GMs love, and why is considered the 2nd or 3rd best qb is quick release and quick decision making which is shown be faster than both Fields and Lawrence.   Those a couple of reasons why this guy from BYU who played against "inferior competition" is rated so high.  Get over this competition argument; sure there will be an adjustment period but trust me, there will be an adjustment period for all of them, not just Wilson and for perhaps different reasons.   

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

If we were the Baltimore Ravens, running Greg Roman's offense I'd probably have him as my 2nd or 3rd QB. We're not. If you told me that he may get the luxury of sitting for 2-3 years maybe I'd move him ahead of Lance for the sole reason that I think Fields is a more natural thrower, but it's close.

In Fields, I see an elite athlete with good throwing mechanics (which helps further indicate that he's coachable), high level character/toughness/poise, and an accurate deep ball. I don't see a player who has any sense of feel for pressure or pocket awareness, I don't see a player who sees the whole field or even half of it for that matter (I see someone who can only see the field in thirds), I see someone who is slow to work through progressions and has a slow processor (partially due to his field vision), and I don't see someone who knows how to manipulate the defense with his eyes (has a tendency to lock on a target).

Far more concerning than any of that is the offense he was coached in... he wasn't asked to do ANYTHING most team's QBs needs to do in the NFL to stick on a roster, let alone be a starting QB. Now if I get him on the board and he impresses that would make me feel better about his ability to learn, but I'd still feel he's a year away from actually starting. Although this offense removes pressure from QBs intra-game, it doesn't mean learning the offense and performing the tasks required to make it work is a walk in the park. We're running a complex, pro-style scheme that asks the QB to full digest and recall the playbook, read the defense, call out protections, make quick-and-decisive decisions, and be able to throw on the run whether it be off-platform or not. 

I get it if fans like Fields. I don't dislike him. I just know that if he were to be drafted by the Jets, we would be so disappointed. The very thought of it gives me severe anxiety. 

For the record, my expectation is that the New England Patriots will ultimately draft Fields and will continue running their "Cam" offense and seek to evolve it even more by incorporating more RPO-elements from the Ravens' offense. I do think their talent is versatile, and they added players that can fit in either style offense they choose to run (i.e. the Erhardt-Perkins 2010-19 precision/power offense or the 2019-20 Ravens/2020 Patriots offense); if they landed a guy like Mac Jones, they'd run those Tom Brady offenses of the past, whereas if they landed a guy like Fields, they'd run more of what they did in 2020 and incorporate new wrinkles. 

Why Fields would be a good fit in NE: smart coaching staff who isn't dedicated to a system and are trend-setters; would be awarded time to learn behind a veteran with a similar playing style; could slowly be eased into doing new things each year. 

8 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Lawrence reminds me of Luck..

Luck was thought of as a generational  prospect and  while  he was very good he was inaccurate at times made mistakes at times ..but was always extremely dangerous.

Kinda of a much  better version of Eli in that they could shrug off bad starts to games and make amazing comebacks but they probably wouldn’t have needed to make that huge comeback if they played well early in the game..

I don't think Lawrence is anywhere near where Luck was as a prospect, but I see what you're saying

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I've seen this movie before....

Somehow this guy winds up in the filthy hands of BB and McDaniels in NE - where they turn him into the next Sith Lord... Meanwhile, Zach Wilson predictably Pennington's his shoulder year 2 and we enter into another dark era of Patriots rule, the likes of which many of us will not survive. 

Your not going to like my last post lol

25 minutes ago, football guy said:

If we were the Baltimore Ravens, running Greg Roman's offense I'd probably have him as my 2nd or 3rd QB. We're not. If you told me that he may get the luxury of sitting for 2-3 years maybe I'd move him ahead of Lance for the sole reason that I think Fields is a more natural thrower, but it's close.

In Fields, I see an elite athlete with good throwing mechanics (which helps further indicate that he's coachable), high level character/toughness/poise, and an accurate deep ball. I don't see a player who has any sense of feel for pressure or pocket awareness, I don't see a player who sees the whole field or even half of it for that matter (I see someone who can only see the field in thirds), I see someone who is slow to work through progressions and has a slow processor (partially due to his field vision), and I don't see someone who knows how to manipulate the defense with his eyes (has a tendency to lock on a target).

Far more concerning than any of that is the offense he was coached in... he wasn't asked to do ANYTHING most team's QBs needs to do in the NFL to stick on a roster, let alone be a starting QB. Now if I get him on the board and he impresses that would make me feel better about his ability to learn, but I'd still feel he's a year away from actually starting. Although this offense removes pressure from QBs intra-game, it doesn't mean learning the offense and performing the tasks required to make it work is a walk in the park. We're running a complex, pro-style scheme that asks the QB to full digest and recall the playbook, read the defense, call out protections, make quick-and-decisive decisions, and be able to throw on the run whether it be off-platform or not. 

I get it if fans like Fields. I don't dislike him. I just know that if he were to be drafted by the Jets, we would be so disappointed. The very thought of it gives me severe anxiety. 

I get it, nothing wrong with your logic. But like I said you’re too low on him for me be able to relate, or have your thoughts resonate with me. I’m not as concerned with those perceived deficiencies. He, like any good QBs is someone you can build an offense around.

I’m not a QB coach so I can’t get into the nuts and bolts of the mechanics… But the will and heart that creates that clutch factor these guys need to have to put the team on their back can sometimes/often be the difference in where they go from here once they get into the nfl. He doesn’t have the issues that plague other would be QBs like Logan Thomas, Tyree Jackson, Brandon Bridge even RG3.... 

I’m extremely comfortable with Fields. But I’m also comfortable letting JD/Lafleur take the guy they want to work their thing around 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

yeah. im not sh!ttin on Wilson. just when you factor those things in I lean Fields.. While I understand a Labrum surgery is not a death sentence I look at it as, the most complex joint in the body and if you already had a surgery on it its a notch in the negative column. same as the comp. TL surgery being on the opposite shoulder is not the same thing. 

You don't have to preach competition I was all over taking Mahomes at 6 overall. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bitonti said:

he also ran a 4.4 the best QB 40 time since RG3 

That was nearly 65 yards in the air.  I do not want to hear about how much 'effort' he put into that throw.  It was a 65-yard dime, rolling to his left.  Good Lord!

• Upvote 2