Justin Fields Pro Day 3/30 (for those still holding on)

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one thinks the Falcons are going QB

The Matt Ryan contract situation would suggest as much. Yet they had their GM-HC-OC there in Columbus today, as they were at BYU. I think if Fields is there at 4, they'll seriously consider him and sit him for a year if needs be. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, bitonti said:

of course the dude named "JetBlue" loves Zach Wilson ;)

it's not the games he didn't miss it's what happens when he tears it again 

snip snap snip snap 

I actually love them both but like Wilson better because he seems like the better quarterback.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I get that, I know how Mormons are brought up having worked for a company based in Provo and spending a hell of a lot of time in Utah.  A couple of OL that are older doesnt necessarily  mean theyre better though

A few extra years in college can mean a lot in size and maturity , but no it doesn't mean they are better. It just happens that BYU had 3 very good upper class /redshirt linemen on their roster this year and playing against teams like Texas St , Troy , North Alabama who can't recruit like Power 5 schools it makes a big diffrerence, 

• Upvote 1

Chris Simms doubling down on his Fields narrative.  I know he's been solid in the past, but putting Fields below Kellen Mond?  Feels like there's something not quite right going on.  Maybe he'll look like a genius in 2 years but I'm skeptical.

48 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

This is where people lose me in this whole debate. I’ll try and find the exact stat but Jones had the worst passer rating of any of the top QBs when forced off their first read. The “quick decision making” is largely offensive design.

Fields is first and foremost a passer. In fact I kind of wish he looked to run more. I can’t see how anybody watches the tape and compares his style of play to Lamar Jackson. For people to boil down Justin Fields to “just an athlete” is pure nonsense. His athletic ability is just icing on the cake to his ability as a passer.

You missed the context. He is a passer but he is not well regarded on the other elements of being a QB. That is just true. When you have to start explaining away slow and poor decision making as a function of the simplified offense he ran that is not a positive for a NFL QB no matter how you slice it up. I also said he can be successful. And in all of the coverage today they never discussed the intangibles of Fields they just came back to him being an athlete.

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm not discounting any of those things you appreciate; those are the positive marks I give him as well. I'm low on him because I know what style of offense we run, and how the Ohio State offense left him [ill-prepared for the NFL game]. 

As I mentioned in that post, if you told me we were running the Baltimore Ravens offense, I'd probably tell you that he would be my 2nd or 3rd QB, only reason: I'd still pick Zach Wilson first and tell the coaching staff to figure out a new scheme. But if that wasn't an option, I'd really strongly consider Fields over Lawrence. He fits that offense perfectly between his ability to throw with accuracy on-platform, to throw down the seems, and given his God-given ability to run/threaten defenses with his legs. Our offense? God please no.

Part of evaluating a player is understanding how they fit. He doesn't fit what the Jets are trying to do no matter how many impressive deep balls he throws, and it may take a few years before he does fit. 

If you saw the interview with Ryan Day at the pro day they asked him specifically about that concern for Fields and the OSU offense. He said their offense does everything a modern NFL offense is running today. Of course I wouldn't expect him to say well no our offense doesn't prepare QB's for the NFL.  But I believe a lot of those preconceptions are blown out of proportion due to failures of prior OSU QB's 

24 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That was nearly 65 yards in the air.  I do not want to hear about how much 'effort' he put into that throw.  It was a 65-yard dime, rolling to his left.  Good Lord!

no one has any combine mph readings to back up anything but just eyeballing film, Fields has had the most powerful arm of this class the whole time 

CFB playoffs proved he can flick a bomb from nowhere, and do it on National TV with everyone watching 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, genot said:

No Nut. 3 #1s for Wilson. Some in San Fran believe that there was conversation with the Jet's. When they found out the Jet's weren't drafting Wilson, they made that deal. Trading 3#1s for Jones. Hard to believe.

One fatal flaw in this thinking. Philadelphias deal to Miami was better than the 49ers but only if they could get Wilson. They traded down. Philly knows Wilson will not be there because the Jets are taking Wilson. If the Jets weren't Philly would have traded directly to #3 with Wilson. Pretty simple.

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Chris Simms doubling down on his Fields narrative.  I know he's been solid in the past, but putting Fields below Kellen Mond?  Feels like there's something not quite right going on.  Maybe he'll look like a genius in 2 years but I'm skeptical.

I wholeheartedly agree with him, exception being that I wouldn’t have him rated that low. At some point you have to mold those traits or build a scheme that suits them. 

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

You missed the context. He is a passer but he is not well regarded on the other elements of being a QB. That is just true. When you have to start explaining away slow and poor decision making as a function of the simplified offense he ran that is not a positive for a NFL QB no matter how you slice it up. I also said he can be successful. And in all of the coverage today they never discussed the intangibles of Fields they just came back to him being an athlete.

Go to about 7:00 on the full pro day video I just posted.

"I can show you a ton of tape where his eyes go from 1 to 2 to 3 consistently..."

Later on around 8:58: "If you're talking abut ceilings for all the QBs in the draft, I could make the argument that Fields has the highest of any of them."

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No I got it, and I wasn’t talking about you specifically, I meant the overall narratives around these guys. Fields is an athlete, Jones is a quick decision maker, etc. Jones threw over a third of his passes at or near the line of scrimmage, threw largely to his first read or a check down; of course his time to throw is going to be lower. Is that “quick decision making” or an offense designed to get the ball out quick to the best playmakers in the country? It’s these ridiculous, oversimplified, cut-and-paste narratives that miss the context.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

I wholeheartedly agree with him, exception being that I wouldn’t have him rated that low. At some point you have to mold those traits or build a scheme that suits them. 

Wild.  I don't see what you see but that's what makes a horse race.  What I see that I don't like is that he seems to throw a little behind the receiver sometimes.  In game situations, that could be by design, but I saw a little of it today in shorts with no defense.  But I have no experience to base the decision of which QB best fits our team.  That's for others to decide.  But I will be very surprised if Fields isn't starting somewhere no later than Week 1 of 2022 and making waves.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

One fatal flaw in this thinking. Philadelphias deal to Miami was better than the 49ers but only if they could get Wilson. They traded down. Philly knows Wilson will not be there because the Jets are taking Wilson. If the Jets weren't Philly would have traded directly to #3 with Wilson. Pretty simple.

How would Philly know about what the Jet's intend to do? Kind of an educated guess at this point. John Lynch only attended one pro day. That was Wilson. Might not mean anything.????????

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

no one has any combine mph readings to back up anything but just eyeballing film, Fields has had the most powerful arm of this class the whole time 

CFB playoffs proved he can flick a bomb from nowhere, and do it on National TV with everyone watching 

The analysts discussing him on the Pro Day video thought the 'Bama game was as impressive as the Clemson game.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

I'm curious.

How does Georgia recruit and land the one of the top 2 QBs in the country (Fields and Lawrence) and then not play him, letting him leave.  Was Fromm really all that or was it, in retrospect, a bad call?  

Fromm was legit Fields’ freshman year.  And the year prior he led them to a national championship game.  Curious if he would have or could have beat out Fromm the next year.  I think @Lithis more in tune to the saga then I am.

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

My questions to Dan would be: 

(1) OK—he’s capable of playing QB, I don’t think people disagree there, but how well? Where does he have him rated in relation to the rest of the guys? 
(2) why do you (Dan O) love every QB?

He ran out of the endzone once his opinion is not that valid

12 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He can have strong takes like that because you know what happens when he’s wrong? Nothing. He still has a job and gets to have hot takes again next draft. 

In defense of Simm his predictions on QBs have been scarily accurate. Consistently. Could that change this year, sure. But as an evaluator of QBs from a predictive standpoint no one has been close. And he has gone against the grain a lot

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I actually love them both but like Wilson better because he seems like the better quarterback.  

Adding on, I find it funny that a certain someone is not discussing the torn labrum of another prospect and how that could potentially tear again:

1F4313AB-51CA-4742-969D-BA9E369C596C.jpeg.40908a8e680d3e7c6a7c0eee5c816a28.jpeg

Don’t you just love a good afternoon agenda?

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Wild.  I don't see what you see but that's what makes a horse race.  What I see that I don't like is that he seems to throw a little behind the receiver sometimes.  In game situations, that could be by design, but I saw a little of it today in shorts with no defense.  But I have no experience to base the decision of which QB best fits our team.  That's for others to decide.  But I will be very surprised if Fields isn't starting somewhere no later than Week 1 of 2022 and making waves.

That's a great point, no one knows what wrinkles Saleh/Lafleur will install in this offense , everyone assumes he'll follow the Shanahan blueprint , but how much variation this offense will have no one can say.