Justin Fields Pro Day 3/30 (for those still holding on)

Could you imagine being Joe Douglas if you don’t actually like Zach Wilson but you want to take advantage of the media hype and make folks think you do? 

“Hey Robert, Mike, you cool taking a Friday trip to Provo for a little smokescreen? Think it’ll be easier to get some more talent.”

Seems odd to me they’d be this transparent after being so tight lipped in FA but maybe they just feel the draft starts with them and they can dk whatever they want.

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, derp said:

Could you imagine being Joe Douglas if you don’t actually like Zach Wilson but you want to take advantage of the media hype and make folks think you do? 

“Hey Robert, Mike, you cool taking a Friday trip to Provo for a little smokescreen? Think it’ll be easier to get some more talent.”

Seems odd to me they’d be this transparent after being so tight lipped in FA but maybe they just feel the draft starts with them and they can dk whatever they want.

There's only one team ahead of us and they are close to 100% taking Lawrence. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There's only one team ahead of us and they are close to 100% taking Lawrence. 

Kind of like that part of my post where I said “maybe they feel the draft starts with them”?

I still think Douglas as a clear value based guy would want to obscure his intentions or do whatever drums up the value of his selection.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, derp said:

I actually don't think this is out of the question. That's why JD, Saleh and LaFleur have to be at Fields pro day. And have the same reaction as they did the other day.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Paradis said:

There is still a possibility they select Justin at 2 if they take a QB. If we want to be optimistic on this view, SF waiting until ZW measurements to make the deal to #3 could be interpreted as them being okay with ZW if the Jets pass on him. At this point we can read the tea leaves pointing to ZW, but that's not a 100% guarantee. I've made peace with whatever selection is made. Im optimistic more so because I think any of the top guys will be successful in what we're building.  I just drool a little about Justin's potential, lol.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Listen boys I haven’t dug deep like I used to, but I’ve scratched the surface some, and I’m taking Fields #1 overall if I was in the QB market (I wouldn’t be I still think Sam can be fixed particularly in this offense).

So if Jets are hell bent on taking a QB I hope it’s Fields.

I tend to agree but I'm curious to hear why the conviction. I would be very much torn between TL, Fields and Wilson if I was a GM. I'm sorry but despite the higher risk of him not fully developing, TL easily has the highest ceiling of all 3. He's like a more polished, pocket version of Josh Allen when Allen was coming out of college. Fields has it all, I never really understood the minute criticism towards the end of his college career. I guess his one drawback is his overall talent doesn't blow you away like other prospects in this class and top 5 QB prospects in the past. Zach does have some of that eye popping talent, the arm, the ability to make throws with accuracy you just don't see QBs make. But man, the risk you run both with injuries and jump in level of competition scare me.

In a way, taking Lance later on is the safest bet. He's raw, for sure, and there's not a lot of tape but boy does he have the upside. Easily a Big Ben upside with this kid. He looked great at his Pro Day too (for what its worth). Really crisp thrown and nice footwork. If the Panthers and Broncos don't take him at 8 and 9 he might slide right into the Patriot's laps and I would absolutely f***ing hate that because they will know how to develop him and BB will stay for another 10years.     

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jdub03 said:

There is still a possibility they select Justin at 2 if they take a QB. If we want to be optimistic on this view, SF waiting until ZW measurements to make the deal to #3 could be interpreted as them being okay with ZW if the Jets pass on him. At this point we can read the tea leaves pointing to ZW, but that's not a 100% guarantee. I've made peace with whatever selection is made. Im optimistic more so because I think any of the top guys will be successful in what we're building.  I just drool a little about Justin's potential, lol.

I hear ya. Anything is possible. However, I would be shocked if we did not trade down and took Fields over Wilson at this point. And I think you should look a little deeper into Zachs game because the upside is immense. The types of throws he can make with different arm angles, the velocity and accuracy, the way he processes information and sets his receivers up by reading the defense and throwing guys open. I know he needs to put on a few pounds and theres some risk of injury. I know Fields is less of a gunslinger and built like a tank. I know Fields is a bigger threat to run. But he can't do the same things Wilson can, he doesn't have the arm or uncanny skillset. Jet fans should truly be excited about Wilson and all the things he brings. He's a super talented QB and I think we have a coaching staff and GM that will put him in a position to succeed.   

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, derp said:

Everyone knew we liked Becton and then we took Becton.

17 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Everyone knew we liked Becton and then we took Becton.

I think that’s an overstatement of the pre draft connections to Becton specifically, was pretty clear tackle was a target at 11 though.

What I was getting at was more the minimal effort on the Jets’ part required for the media to lock that pick up - after all their dot connecting in FA was wildly off base.

Still think taking a quarterback at 2 is dumb if there are trade down options on the table so I’m largely just being hopeful.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I hear ya. Anything is possible. However, I would be shocked if we did not trade down and took Fields over Wilson at this point. And I think you should look a little deeper into Zachs game because the upside is immense. The types of throws he can make with different arm angles, the velocity and accuracy, the way he processes information and sets his receivers up by reading the defense and throwing guys open. I know he needs to put on a few pounds and theres some risk of injury. I know Fields is less of a gunslinger and built like a tank. I know Fields is a bigger threat to run. But he can't do the same things Wilson can, he doesn't have the arm or uncanny skillset. Jet fans should truly be excited about Wilson and all the things he brings. He's a super talented QB and I think we have a coaching staff and GM that will put him in a position to succeed.   

I like Zach, and will be happy with the selection.  I have watched 4-5 games, multiple breakdowns, interviews, etc... I see what you've called out above. I'm not concerned about level of competition, more so the lack of pressure he faced. I wish I would have been able to see more of this. For me with Justin, aside from the physical traits, I love that he's had to live with the pressure of being the 2nd best prospect in the country coming out of HS, and he's lived up to it. He's a warrior on the field, highly intelligent, loves the game and a natural leader. Combine those with his physical traits and I don't see how he fails. I've also read that there is a connection with him and Shananhan, although I haven't done due diligence on it yet.

Whichever direction we go in, I will be very excited, but there will also be a little voice in my head thinking about the other guy, and the what ifs. 

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, PepPep said:

I havent seen you chime in much on the debate, but I have to say this is as similar to my take as I've seen someone iterate on here.  @Mogglez can attest as we've been having this convo since the middle of the year.  We've gone back and forth discussing the issues with Darnolds development and then real time scouting of Fields and eventually Wilson. 

I think most people here have polarized into I LOVE WILSON or NO WAY WILSON and I LOVE FIELDS to FIELDS SUCKS. 

It really skews the conversation.  To me, you hit the nail on the head, Fields is going to be good/very good especially in the right situation.  Personally to me, his mechanics need to be refined, he needs to be in a system that helps him work on going through full 1-4 progressions and is built out of the shotgun first with designed runs for him as well.  I think you could give him the Josh Allen treatment sort of where they started him light in year one (a lot of QB runs) and progressively put more and more on his plate.  

What Zach gives you though over Fields, to me, is the ability to come in and already understand pre and post snap reads/progressions, the type of advanced window throws he can make, and the ability to throw receivers open with his understanding and spacial awareness.  Now Zach has to work on some things too (he wasnt great in the intermediate portion of the field and we saw some of that in the pro day), and yes there is the injury history which i dont think anyone scoffs at, but again he's not going to be running as much as a guy like fields so his size to me isnt a huge detriment.  

I just look at the two and say they're both really great prospects, but I just feel Zach offers a little more of a refined product with tremendous upside. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

that’s not true. Everyone knew we favoured a LT. Becton wasn’t a “known” target, a though he might become that at the 11th hour.  

Could be that I’m remembering wrong but I’m pretty sure Wills and Becton were the guys constantly being connected to us.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Could be that I’m remembering wrong but I’m pretty sure Wills and Becton were the guys constantly being connected to us.

Was just talking about this with someone today by coincidence- Wirfs was the “leaked” favorite even into April. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I havent seen you chime in much on the debate, but I have to say this is as similar to my take as I've seen someone iterate on here.  @Mogglez can attest as we've been having this convo since the middle of the year.  We've gone back and forth discussing the issues with Darnolds development and then real time scouting of Fields and eventually Wilson. 

I think most people here have polarized into I LOVE WILSON or NO WAY WILSON and I LOVE FIELDS to FIELDS SUCKS. 

It really skews the conversation.  To me, you hit the nail on the head, Fields is going to be good/very good especially in the right situation.  Personally to me, his mechanics need to be refined, he needs to be in a system that helps him work on going through full 1-4 progressions and is built out of the shotgun first with designed runs for him as well.  I think you could give him the Josh Allen treatment sort of where they started him light in year one (a lot of QB runs) and progressively put more and more on his plate.  

What Zach gives you though over Fields, to me, is the ability to come in and already understand pre and post snap reads/progressions, the type of advanced window throws he can make, and the ability to throw receivers open with his understanding and spacial awareness.  Now Zach has to work on some things too (he wasnt great in the intermediate portion of the field and we saw some of that in the pro day), and yes there is the injury history which i dont think anyone scoffs at, but again he's not going to be running as much as a guy like fields so his size to me isnt a huge detriment.  

I just look at the two and say they're both really great prospects, but I just feel Zach offers a little more of a refined product with tremendous upside. 

Our conversations on this go wayyyyyyy back.  You were the one that introduced me to Wilson.  Couldn’t have said it better myself brother.  I love all 4 of these kids (Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance).  I have my preferences (it’s exactly that order), but I just want one of them unless we can get 4 first round picks for the #2 pick.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Our conversations on this go wayyyyyyy back.  You were the one that introduced me to Wilson.  Couldn’t have said it better myself brother.  I love all 4 of these kids (Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Lance).  I have my preferences (it’s exactly that order), but I just want one of them unless we can get 4 first round picks for the #2 pick.

Truthfully, with the right staff, I’m sure a team win a lot of games with any one of those first 3... Lance I’m less sure of but that’s a lot to do with limited exposure

• Upvote 2

People need to stop hating on Justin Fields. 

Dude is a great prospect...but if you’re gonna draft him you have to commit to building an offense to his strengths, ala Cam Newton / Josh Allen.

They’re never gonna be Aaron Rogers, Patrick Mahomes, or Deshaun Watson accurate. You’re not designing timing routes where the ball needs to be on the $.

But they can push the ball down the field and take off for big gains.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Truthfully, with the right staff, I’m sure a team win a lot of games with any one of those first 3... Lance I’m less sure of but that’s a lot to do with limited exposure

I’ve been on the Lance love boat since last year, but ya lol, he’s gotta sit a year.  He ooooozes talent though.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Fields has probably been trying to duplicate Wilson’s wow throws all weekend.  To show he can make them as well.  

If he did, it would be gold to hear the reactions of board and the media Pundits. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Curious to know your rankings of this QB class as it pertains to the Jets staff/org. Would you mind sharing? I'm probably disqualified immediately, as I don't have Trevor#1, lol.

12 hours ago, Jdub03 said:

Jdub, how dare you add rational takes in here!!!! (sarcasm)

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I think Cosell is always a good listen. From February but still. 

God forgive me because I should know better, but, to quote Whitesnake, "here I go again"

This staring down criticism of Fields is driven a lot by the Ohio State offense. The Ohio State program has even been explaining it to teams researching Fields. 

“There have been some Ohio State people that have come back and said that their offense is more about option-based offense when it comes to wide receivers running option routes,” Brooks said. “And that is why he has been forced to hold onto it. I think that is worthy of investigation. But there is something about him holding onto the rock because you know, in the NFL, the ball has to come out fast."

https://saturdaytradition.com/ohio-state-football/heres-what-ohio-state-is-telling-nfl-teams-about-justin-fields-heading-into-draft/

So how do we know if that is a school covering up for its player or not? Let's look at the player in a different system. Here is Fields as a freshman at Georgia (the ball comes out faster than it does when Fields was a junior at Ohio State). 

If you want my "hot take", I think Fields would have been criticized less as a prospect if he stayed at Georgia because that offense would have featured his strengths more. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

lance probably has to sit a year, but He's has a chance to be a monster.  probably the best physical tools of any QB in this draft.  I personally think he's going to be the 9ers pick at 3 and they'll let him sit a year behind jimmy G. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Haha yea man feels like a life time ago.  big thing is you cant go wrong really with any of these 4 guys, its all about the fit and how you want to run your team.  Jets are in great shape as Wilsons strengths will be supremely highlighted by not only the talent currently on the team, but the style of offense we will be playing. 

Sam was never supported enough or put in the best position to succeed.  The closest he got was Jeremy Bates who did some good things for him but he needed more around him and better support.  Wilson, if he is indeed the pick, will be given a much greater opportunity to succeed, and I would imagine we will see a lot of offense taken in this draft to support him. 

Inlcuding a trade up for a second top 10 pick for an offensive player to pair with him (i think we are all hoping for pitts but most likely waddle). 

• Upvote 1

Not sure how to inbed, but this is what I saw linking fields to Shananhan and the Lafleurs. I haven't looked into this further, but it's an interesting read. Makes you wonder what there opinion of him is since they probably have a good idea what they'd be getting if they take him.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/withthefirstpick.com/2021/03/03/49ers-fields-qb-collective/amp/

Not sure how to inbed, but this is what I saw linking fields to Shananhan and the Lafleurs. I haven't looked into this further, but it's an interesting read. Makes you wonder what there opinion of him is since they probably have a good idea what they'd be getting if they take him.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/withthefirstpick.com/2021/03/03/49ers-fields-qb-collective/amp/

Yes, I’ve read that article and I’m surprised no one is bringing that connection up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk