Justin Fields Pro Day 3/30 (for those still holding on)

1 hour ago, JiF said:

It's another situation where you think of how this is similar to the dismantling of Watson.  You watched him go for like 900 total yards 8 Tds and 1 pick vs Bama in back to back Natty's and it like, didnt matter. 

I'd argue both times Fields played Lawrence head to head in playoff games that he was the better QB on those days, for some reason, that doesnt matter.  

Just need someone to start the “ he only was clocked throwing 49mph”

and we will have come full circle 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It’s not like he hasn’t been around Fields. 

The Shanahan’s, McVay and the Lafleur brothers are all part of the QB Collective development camp.  Fields has been with them for a while.  Pretty sure they are all familiar with Justin.  

Hell, just look at the main page on the QB Collective website.  Lol....

1B7EB62C-6E85-4576-A31F-5965129BFFA5.png

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Shanahan’s, McVay and the Lafleur brothers are all part of the QB Collective development camp.  Fields has been with them for a while.  Pretty sure they are all familiar with Justin.  

Hell, just look at the main page on the QB Collective website.  Lol....

1B7EB62C-6E85-4576-A31F-5965129BFFA5.png

Nothing against Zach Wilson, but what a typical Jets thing to have happen. Endure pain and misery and then when it comes time to at least enjoy the benefit of said torture - somehow the whole industry talks themselves out this kid. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

Not sure about 2019 and 2020, but in 2017 he had Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson as barely a first rounder (here's his 2017 mock based on his own personal rankings and what he would do as a GM: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705493-2017-nfl-mock-draft-chris-simms-final-predictions ), and I know for sure he changed his 2018 rankings. He was still down on Darnold, but I think he bumped Rosen up to 1 or 2 and dropped Jackson down to 4 or 5. He was high on Mahomes, and Herbert over Tua looks good right now, but taking this guy's word as gospel is too much IMO.

It’s like folks in a fan forum. 

I love Wilson!

I love Fields!

I love Lance!

I love Jones!

I still love Sam!

2 years from now they’ll cut and paste “see I told you, ‘I loved [top QB]’!!”

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Fields is 6’3, 225 and runs a 4.4. 

He’s Bigger, Stronger and Faster then half the Linebackers in the NFL. 

At this point my only concern is if he is better.  From what I have seen so far, the jury is out on that. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Nothing against Zach Wilson, but what a typical Jets thing to have happen. Endure pain and misery and then when it comes time to at least enjoy the benefit of said torture - somehow the whole industry talks themselves out this kid. 

I know, strange dynamics at play this draft season.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

seattle seahawks yawn GIF

• Thumb Down 1

Spoiler

Just finished watching some Justin Fields highlights again and wow, he really is damn impressive.  However, the vast majority of passes were to wide open receivers, in it was ridiculous how wide open they were on some of those plays.  There were a few where I saw him thread the needle which was encouraging, but in watching film of both Wilson and Fields, I have to say Wilson through into lot smaller windows to his receivers.  Lets face it is not like he was throwing to Chris Alave and the other first or second round Ohio State receiver prospects.  If there is any difference maker, for me that might be it.  Still having said that,  Fields is a baller and we can't go wrong with picking him.   

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I’m not sure if you are giving him enough credit. How often do weathermen go against the grain of  conventional wisdom/popular opinion?

2017:

Mahomes as the best QB (against the consensus)

(I don’t believe he released a complete ranking beyond this)

2018: 

best to worst: Jackson, Allen, mayfield, Darnold, Rosen (against the consensus again) 

2019:

Best to worst: Murray, Lock, Haskins, Finley, Stidham, Jones 

2020: 

Best to worst: Burrow, Herbert, Love, Tagovailoa

that isn’t bad  

2 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Not sure about 2019 and 2020, but in 2017 he had Trubisky over Mahomes and Watson as barely a first rounder (here's his 2017 mock based on his own personal rankings and what he would do as a GM: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2705493-2017-nfl-mock-draft-chris-simms-final-predictions ), and I know for sure he changed his 2018 rankings. He was still down on Darnold, but I think he bumped Rosen up to 1 or 2 and dropped Jackson down to 4 or 5. He was high on Mahomes, and Herbert over Tua looks good right now, but taking this guy's word as gospel is too much IMO.

Lets be real - he lucked out in 2018 - entirely due to where they were drafted.

Credit where credit is due on staying with Herbert when many (including myself) undressed him - but he altered his 2017 rankings and the guys he "liked" in 2018 wound up getting drafted by teams with stable programs and staff. Allen on the Jets would be getting his walking papers just like Darnold right now. Lamar getting drafted by CLE would have been disastrous... Stefanski saved Baker... and Rosen got replaced.

I don't think there's anything "savvy" about his 2018 rankings. You rotate those landing spots and suddenly his hot take is hot garbage.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, JetBlue said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Just finished watching some Justin Fields highlights again and wow, he really is damn impressive.  However, the vast majority of passes were to wide open receivers, in it was ridiculous how wide open they were on some of those plays.  There were a few where I saw him thread the needle which was encouraging, but in watching film of both Wilson and Fields, I have to say Wilson through into lot smaller windows to his receivers.  Lets face it is not like he was throwing to Chris Alave and the other first or second round Ohio State receiver prospects.  If there is any difference maker, for me that might be it.  Still having said that,  Fields is a baller and we can't go wrong with picking him.   

12 minutes ago, JetBlue said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Just finished watching some Justin Fields highlights again and wow, he really is damn impressive.  However, the vast majority of passes were to wide open receivers, in it was ridiculous how wide open they were on some of those plays.  

I think you mean Wilson. 

14 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lets be real - he lucked out in 2018 - entirely due to where they were drafted.

Credit where credit is due on staying with Herbert when many (including myself) undressed him - but he altered his 2017 rankings and the guys he "liked" in 2018 wound up getting drafted by teams with stable programs and staff. Allen on the Jets would be getting his walking papers just like Darnold right now. Lamar getting drafted by CLE would have been disastrous... Stefanski saved Baker... and Rosen got replaced.

I don't think there's anything "savvy" about his 2018 rankings. You rotate those landing spots and suddenly his hot take is hot garbage.  

Saying the only reason  he was right on all those Qb’s is because all those QBs were put in good situations and he’s really wrong because if they were in different situations  they wouldn’t be good really is some extreme level of reaching.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Lets be real - he fcking lucked out in 2018 - entirely due to their landing spots.

The the landing spot being a huge factor is an interesting debate. I partially agree. I think the truth is somewhere in the middle, but I don’t think you are giving enough credit to guys like Allen and Jackson.

I think Allen and Jackson both have truly elite physical talent that just shines. Would they have had the success here that they had in Buffalo and Baltimore, respectively? Definitely not. But would they be getting their walking papers right now? I’m not so sure.

Here’s what’s sad about Sam - if Sam could have just found a way to have 3-4ish really good games this past season (similar to the 4ish really good games he had in 2019), we would be picking somewhere between 5th and 7th and he’d be the QB of the NYJ next year. But he wasn’t capable of that. In fact, he didn’t have a single great game all year . . . In his 3rd year as a starting QB. At the end of the day, Sam wasn’t good enough here to keep us from drafting his replacement. And that’s on him. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Saying the only reason  he was right on all those Qb’s is because all those QBs were put in good situations and he’s really wrong because if they were in different situations  they wouldn’t be good really is some extreme level of reaching.

so is your sentence structure. 

You get the point i'm making. 

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Yeah I saw that game live.  Tremendous gutty performance but with the exception a few passes, his receivers were wide open most of the game so it kind of proves my point.  To his credit, he made some outstanding throws and was incredibly accurate.   Like I said if we choose Fields I'm okay with it, but just as folks have concerns about Wilson (level of comp., shoulder surgery), I am concerned about the smaller throwing lanes Fields will have in the NFL.  The good news is he really is a very accurate passer and his deep ball is second to none.   Wilson throws a great deep ball too and his release is the fastest of this class.  Wilson also has  the ability to "throw his receivers open", which he had to do a lot because the lack of pure athletic ability or speed of the BYU receivers.  That is going to help him a lot in the NFL; he has great anticipation.

Just looking at how much separation the OSU receivers get, I can just imagine what kind of numbers Wilson would have produced.   That is why it is important to look at traits and not just production.  Bottom line is both Wilson and Fields are top 5 prospects.  I think Wilson has the edge in some areas with Fields being better in a few others (being a superior athlete, for one).   We know Justin can take hit and keep on performing; that remains to be seen about Wilson, but get the idea he is tougher than he looks.  The kid is a gamer, of that I have no doubt. 

I really would not be surprised if Fields and Wilson both have better careers than Lawrence.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

“We have different reads, so we have a lot of reads where they’re pre-progression or across the board reads where I’m going one to two to three to four,” Fields said. “To be honest we have some of the best receivers in the country so if my first or second read is there, I’m not going to pass up that first or second read to get the three, four or fifth to prove that I can read.

“That’s not gonna put my team in the best position to win, that’s just to prove it to me. That’s just being selfish to show people that I can do it.”

That part

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-justin-fields-pro-day-nfl-draft-20210330-2d4rnsi4czgl5duogwtbed75gy-story.html

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, fullblast said:

[QUOTE]"We have different reads, so we have a lot of reads where they’re pre-progression or across the board reads where I’m going one to two to three to four,” Fields said. “To be honest we have some of the best receivers in the country so if my first or second read is there, I’m not going to pass up that first or second read to get the three, four or fifth to prove that I can read.

“That’s not gonna put my team in the best position to win, that’s just to prove it to me. That’s just being selfish to show people that I can do it.”[/QUOTE]

That part

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/ny-justin-fields-pro-day-nfl-draft-20210330-2d4rnsi4czgl5duogwtbed75gy-story.html

I watched every throw of wilson and fields. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times fields turned his head to look at the 2nd option all season. That's an interesting explanation, not sure I buy it but maybe he's right. Only way to find out is to look at all 22 tape and see what happens on each play, especially ones where he bails from the pocket

• Thumb Down 1

14 minutes ago, fullblast said:

“We have different reads, so we have a lot of reads where they’re pre-progression or across the board reads where I’m going one to two to three to four,” Fields said. “To be honest we have some of the best receivers in the country so if my first or second read is there, I’m not going to pass up that first or second read to get the three, four or fifth to prove that I can read.

“That’s not gonna put my team in the best position to win, that’s just to prove it to me. That’s just being selfish to show people that I can do it.”

That part

Kind of a defensive, garbage answer.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

so is your sentence structure. 

You get the point i'm making. 

I get  the point.. I don’t agree with it..I think it’s a crazy way to try to discredit him.

I understand you don’t like him because he’s down on Fields but give the man credit he’s been right on Qb’s more  then most.