Justin Fields Pro Day 3/30 (for those still holding on)

9 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i dont care if we take wilson or fields. watson aint happening anymore so i just want someone new at qb. sorry sammy u seem like a great dude but i cant stomach another season of that trash. wish u well in denver or wherever you end up

Carolina.  Sam with a deep throw to Robby Anderson.  Touchdown Panthers.  

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

So you have 47 fingers on your hand?  Because you're either willfully ignoring the dozens of times he made 2nd and 3rd reads or you have the worst case of polydactyly in history. 

Here's just one of many actual attempts to debunk the idiotic narrative about Fields being a one-read guy.  It's not hard to find....46 more at least.

The hyperbole on this board is really out of control this time of year.

Ryan Day - Justin routinely got to his 4th and 5th read in our system.  Clear as day on tape.  You can see numerous examples of this in the Clemson game alone if you actually know what you're watching and understand the play call and our system. 

Fields haters - 4 times all year bro! 

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ryan Day - Justin routinely got to his 4th and 5th read in our system.  Clear as day on tape.  You can see numerous examples of this in the Clemson game alone if you actually know what you're watching and understand the play call and our system. 

Fields haters - 4 times all year bro! 

I honestly believe it goes something like this:

1) I love Zach Wilson (or Mac Jones)

2) In order to increase the chances the Jets draft my guy, I have to bash the other guys

3) I read a post on Twitter by IncontinentBill that Justin Fields is a 1-read guy.  He seems reliable.

4) Post and repost the trope ad nauseum until Joe Douglas reads it and says, "wow...I didn't see it on the tape myself but maybe there's something to this.  I should draft that [insert name here] kid."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, maury77 said:

After the Wilson thread, I've intentionally stayed out of this thread for the most part because I didn't expect any substantive back and forth, I expected people to dig their heels in more (and it looks like I was right). 

What I do believe is that the general public has Wilson and Fields pretty close to each other (a lot of people like one versus the other and vice versa) so I think the Jets decision is going to come down to how they feel about each prospect as a result of the various interviews/meeting each had with the team. 

The great unknown with all these prospects is how they are going to respond when they get to the pro level. Are they going to crack under the big lights? No one knows for sure. I've seen Fields ball out in the playoffs. I've seen Wilson ball out in his last bowl game as well, but it was a much smaller stage. It doesn't mean Wilson can't do it on a bigger stage, I just haven't seen it with him like I have with Fields. 

I'll leave with my favorite Fields play of his career (no, its not the Clemson throw)

What do I glean out of a play like this? That this is a prospect that is going to hustle, is super athletic and is tough. Those things translate in football. 

That sort of reminds me of the famous Larry Allen play where he hustles down the field like a cheetah.  It does say a lot about a guy.  Granted, Fields is a lot faster than Allen, but he went all out to help that play.  Great find.  Great prospect.

Now here's Larry because we all need a smile today:

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

You’re too low on Fields to take your perspective beyond face value. 

Interesting take on his view.  I would say the exact same applies to your view on Wilson, my friend.

Pot...kettle...black, you know

Me?  I have my fingers crossed that we come out of this with a good QB. I've been leaning Fields since December, but never locked in.   But, whichever one it is.  I don't trust ANY of the overly extreme evals coming from JN, thank you very much.  The more extreme the promo is for one of these guys, the less it can be trusted. 

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, derp said:

To keep it brief, and I could get more verbose here, I get it but I think that is the same general logic that has led to a lot of quarterback busts in the top three.

Most of the guys who have been good have come into good situations, and the Jets right now are not a good situation. That or teams are really bad at evaluating quarterbacks. It’s one of the other - so I’m not super committed to taking the second guy off the board.

I also think realistically the range of outcomes and the probabilities they hit those outcomes for Fields, Lance, and Wilson are similar. Everyone is going to have their favorite and get more entrenched in their beliefs as the discussions continue - not unlike this board - but regardless I think it’s pretty much splitting hairs with those guys. To the point that the extra capital is definitely the way to go - even if you have to set up the trade back up like Miami did.

I also weirdly both like Douglas and think there’s a good chance the QB at 2 goes poorly but I’d like to see what he can do given time.

I think the Jets' "situation" for a QB is being overblown massively, and a lot of it's based on poor usage last year, .

• The OL certainly isn't elite but the first-string line should be adequate enough by Sept.
  • They have enough at WR even before the draft.
  • Except for maybe Perine, the other RBs are fast/quick enough to reach the edge in outside zone designs (unlike Bell & Gore), and they'll be doing RBBC anyway to keep their legs fresh. e.g. Mostert was just super-fast not a tackle-breaking machine.
  • We'd all like to see a TE upgrade after Herndon's disappointing past 2 seasons, but the position wasn't featured under Gase (incredibly, even while all the WRs were injured) and it's hard for a player to get into a rhythm when he's barely targeted for 10 straight weeks, typically running 4 yard patterns into traffic. Drops & fumbles weren't issues with him until this year.

Ultimately 100% expect them to draft:

• a day 1-2 guard; 
  • I expect see a TE by the end of the day 2 -- Douglas did make a push for Jonnu Smith in FA, and wouldn't have if he was totally satisfied with what he's got; 

Then possibly:

• somewhere in the draft 50-50 they'll take a RB; depends on who's available when not must-draft
  • also possible they'll take a second OL (e.g. a tackle to groom to take over for Fant next year), but again that'd be more based on how the draft unfolds rather than a rigid plan to draft two of them; they can always target RT with one of their first 3 picks next year if Fant underwhelms in 2021.

Their tackles and center are set for the year, barring something unexpected. Becton is the only one with elite ability, and I do expect him to get even better, but at least in pass protection with a full summer those 3 should be adequate as a trio for the year.

Then there are the guards between them, which make many/most Jets fans nauseous here in March. While I may presume one of the starters will be a rookie from pick 23 / 33 (if JD doesn't trade down from there), it'll ultimately be the best two among Lewis (frontrunner #1), Andrews, GVR, Clark, and a 2021 rookie (frontrunner #2). Other names could be given a chance - e.g. Edoga, maybe we get lucky with an UDFA - but those are the 5 main candidates. 

The fact is most 2020 playoff teams had less OL investment than the 2021 Jets are likely to field.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

I'm gonna be super disappointed if Joe Drafts Wilson over Fields. It seems like sometimes these scouts overthink things, and get paralysis from over analysis. Justin Fields is a legit dual threat quarterback, who can move the chains and avoid those 3 and outs. When I see him play I feel like I'm watching a bigger Russell Wilson. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Paradis said:

I've seen this movie before....

Somehow this guy winds up in the filthy hands of BB and McDaniels in NE - where they turn him into the next Sith Lord... Meanwhile, Zach Wilson predictably Pennington's his shoulder year 2 and we enter into another dark era of Patriots rule, the likes of which many of us will not survive. 

Watson will wind up playing for Belichick.

16 hours ago, genot said:

No Nut. 3 #1s for Wilson. Some in San Fran believe that there was conversation with the Jet's. When they found out the Jet's weren't drafting Wilson, they made that deal. Trading 3#1s for Jones. Hard to believe.

I don't believe that.  It wouldn't be smart of Saleh to tell SFO anything.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don't believe that.  It wouldn't be smart of Saleh to tell SFO anything.  

If Wilson wasn't in the Jet's plans at #2. Then i don't see the harm in telling an out of conference team that you have worked for that. Knowing that they would trade up for him, and wanted to be assured that Wilson would be there. 

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

You’re too low on Fields to take your perspective beyond face value. 

It's no different for any of the loud proponents of either one of these guys.  None of us can be taking any of the overly extreme views presented as accurate or complete, including yours.

16 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

If you saw the interview with Ryan Day at the pro day they asked him specifically about that concern for Fields and the OSU offense. He said their offense does everything a modern NFL offense is running today. Of course I wouldn't expect him to say well no our offense doesn't prepare QB's for the NFL.  But I believe a lot of those preconceptions are blown out of proportion due to failures of prior OSU QB's 

OSU doesn't do much to enhance a QB's decision making.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think the Jets' "situation" for a QB is being overblown massively, and a lot of it's based on poor usage last year, .

• The OL certainly isn't elite but the first-string line should be adequate enough by Sept.
  • They have enough at WR even before the draft.
  • Except for maybe Perine, the other RBs are fast/quick enough to reach the edge in outside zone designs (unlike Bell & Gore), and they'll be doing RBBC anyway to keep their legs fresh. e.g. Mostert was just super-fast not a tackle-breaking machine.
  • We'd all like to see a TE upgrade after Herndon's disappointing past 2 seasons, but the position wasn't featured under Gase (incredibly, even while all the WRs were injured) and it's hard for a player to get into a rhythm when he's barely targeted for 10 straight weeks, typically running 4 yard patterns into traffic. Drops & fumbles weren't issues with him until this year.

Ultimately 100% expect them to draft:

• a day 1-2 guard; 
  • I expect see a TE by the end of the day 2 -- Douglas did make a push for Jonnu Smith in FA, and wouldn't have if he was totally satisfied with what he's got; 

Then possibly:

• somewhere in the draft 50-50 they'll take a RB; depends on who's available when not must-draft
  • also possible they'll take a second OL (e.g. a tackle to groom to take over for Fant next year), but again that'd be more based on how the draft unfolds rather than a rigid plan to draft two of them; they can always target RT with one of their first 3 picks next year if Fant underwhelms in 2021.

Their tackles and center are set for the year, barring something unexpected. Becton is the only one with elite ability, and I do expect him to get even better, but at least in pass protection with a full summer those 3 should be adequate as a trio for the year.

Then there are the guards between them, which make many/most Jets fans nauseous here in March. While I may presume one of the starters will be a rookie from pick 23 / 33 (if JD doesn't trade down from there), it'll ultimately be the best two among Lewis (frontrunner #1), Andrews, GVR, Clark, and a 2021 rookie (frontrunner #2). Other names could be given a chance - e.g. Edoga, maybe we get lucky with an UDFA - but those are the 5 main candidates. 

The fact is most 2020 playoff teams had less OL investment than the 2021 Jets are likely to field.

Dude 

This time 2 months ago you predicted they'd use all the cap space to sign thuney and linsley and Arob 

Here's the real deal: they have 1 good lineman and the rest of the line sucks. A 2nd Rd guard is not going to change this 

They have garbage wide outs and that's before they cutting Crowder. Corey Davis is a 2 we are expecting to be a 1. The rb and tight ends are atrocious. 

The defense is an absolute wasteland at olb and cb. They are going to use at least half theirs picks switching to the 4-3 

This team is not getting significantly better before the season. This is the team. 

If they draft a wilson at the 2 spot, he's going to be expected to start week 1 and he's going to be creamed 

• Upvote 4

Bucky Brooks made a great point last night on a Mock Draft special. They were talking about the Niners huge move up, and who they are targeting. He scoffed at the idea that it's for Mac Jones. Said that both the Rams and Niners have realized that they can't win with either Goff or Jimmy G, and both have made moves to change that. Then went on to say that both Goff and Jimmy G are far better than Jones. Even went on to say that he doesn't know what 'Alternative Universe" the Panthers are living in if they think Jones is a FQB. Said the move is either for Fields or Lance, or Wilson if he was there. Good stuff, he got feisty.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

Dude 

This time 2 months ago you predicted they'd use all the cap space to sign thuney and linsley and Arob 

Here's the real deal: they have 1 good lineman and the rest of the line sucks. A 2nd Rd guard is not going to change this 

They have garbage wide outs and that's before they cutting Crowder. Corey Davis is a 2 we are expecting to be a 1. The rb and tight ends are atrocious. 

This team is is not getting significantly more better before the season. If they draft a wilson at the 2 spot, he's going to be expected to start week 1 and he's going to be creamed 

No qb is ever going to be successful here until we actually fix the roster

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Justin is suffering from the black QB syndrome where every analyst says he can't go past his 1st read.

the same thing was said constantly about Mahomes.  It's more NCAA conference than race (I hope).

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, heymangold said:

Fromm was legit Fields’ freshman year.  And the year prior he led them to a national championship game.  Curious if he would have or could have beat out Fromm the next year.  I think @Lithis more in tune to the saga then I am.

Fromm had a real mind meld with the coach who was predisposed to overlook what later became obvious limitations compared to a 5 star like Fields. If Field had stayed around he would have ended up QB1 but he didn't think he was getting a fair shake and he was right.

44 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Interesting take on his view.  I would say the exact same applies to your view on Wilson, my friend.

Pot...kettle...black, you know

Me?  I have my fingers crossed that we come out of this with a good QB. I've been leaning Fields since December, but never locked in.   But, whichever one it is.  I don't trust ANY of the overly extreme evals coming from JN, thank you very much.  The more extreme the promo is for one of these guys, the less it can be trusted. 

Lol you have a real love hate relationship with me hey? I’ve said recently that willingly and lovingly accepts both Fields and Wilson, I think we can win with both. Your posts this morning suggest you believe I think otherwise 

16 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

A few extra years in college can mean a lot in size and maturity , but no it doesn't mean they are better. It just happens that BYU had 3 very good upper class /redshirt linemen on their roster this year and playing against teams like Texas St , Troy , North Alabama who can't recruit like Power 5 schools it makes a big diffrerence, 

The BYU guys don’t lift while on their missions.  They leave as 210 lb safeties and come back as 160 lb normal dudes.  

Also just to add the hype is real. I browse these boards often. All I read was jets need to keep losing for Trevor all season. Now there are fans on here stating wilson is better than Trevor. 
I say this Wilson IS a better passer than Trevor ... but Trevor is the complete package. If Jacksonville ****s up let's Lawrence slide ... ill need to buy a new box of kleenex.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

51 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I'm gonna be super disappointed if Joe Drafts Wilson over Fields. It seems like sometimes these scouts overthink things, and get paralysis from over analysis. Justin Fields is a legit dual threat quarterback, who can move the chains and avoid those 3 and outs. When I see him play I feel like I'm watching a bigger Russell Wilson. 

Yes. Kid is tough as nails too. He should be the pick. 

• Sympathy 1

the same thing was said constantly about Mahomes.  It's more NCAA conference than race (I hope).
I do think I see race rearing its ugly head in these discussions once in a while ... white guys aren't athletic... black guys cant process their reads .. whatever... I hope in todays world analysis is more based in stats, situation and play. But I'm not blind to everything going on.

I too hope.its more about conference...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

That sort of reminds me of the famous Larry Allen play where he hustles down the field like a cheetah.  It does say a lot about a guy.  Granted, Fields is a lot faster than Allen, but he went all out to help that play.  Great find.  Great prospect.

Now here's Larry because we all need a smile today:

Off topic, but Larry Allen, one of the most athletic big men I have ever seen.

Don't forget,

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Lol you have a real love hate relationship with me hey? I’ve said recently that willingly and lovingly accepts both Fields and Wilson, I think we can win with both. Your posts this morning suggest you believe I think otherwise 

No it's neither.  I want to understand the logic, so I'll ask questions and make comments.  You see I've liked Fields since December too, but NOT locked in because I am not a great or even good QB prospect evaluator.  I'm a fan. I see you and others locked in with wild and extreme presentation of data mixed with opinion.  I truly don't understand how anyone here can have the kind of conviction they do for either of these guys.   As I said in another post, my biggest beef with Jets QBing has been the absolutely moronic decision making by Sanchez and Darnold.  Can't stand it any more.  I want a good and fast processing brain out there with a strong and accurate arm.

No more brain dead QBs like Sanchez or Darnold, whose decision making skills were a slight notch over those of Geno Smith.  .  Done.  Enough of that sh*t.  This is why my choice at this point is Wilson.  I'm not willing to risk getting dummy running around out there without a clue.

8 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Off topic, but Larry Allen, one of the most athletic big men I have ever seen.

Don't forget,

"If I had six legs, I probably couldn't squat that" LOL

In many ways, he was the most dominant player at his position.  Size, strength, speed and savagery.  You can keep John Hannah.  Larry is the GOAT at OG and to me, there's not even a close second.

Last time we did an all-time draft here, there were two players I wanted more than any others.  Earl Campbell and Larry Allen.  Both share those traits, and the thought of Earl running behind Larry gives me shivers and essentially renders linebackers useless.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

"If I had six legs, I probably couldn't squat that" LOL

In many ways, he was the most dominant player at his position.  Size, strength, speed and savagery.  You can keep John Hannah.  Larry is the GOAT at OG and to me, there's not even a close second.

Last time we did an all-time draft here, there were two players I wanted more than any others.  Earl Campbell and Larry Allen.  Both share those traits, and the thought of Earl running behind Larry gives me shivers and essentially renders linebackers useless.  

There's another video, all time strongest man in the NFL.

Larry also squated 900 pounds.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

my prediction:

1. Jax: Lawrence, 2. Jets: Wilson, 3. SFO: Fields. 

Not buying the Jones scenario at all.  If not Fields for the 49ers, then Lance, but I think it's Fields for them.   

i'm not buying the jones to SF either.  you don't give up that much to get a pure game manager with an average arm.