Justin Fields Pro Day 3/30 (for those still holding on)

59 minutes ago, Jdub03 said:

Yeah it is surprising. I wonder how many Top QBs get picked without the GM and HC present at there pro day.  It's possible Kyle knows enough about Justin through the QB connection, and wants to see Mac Jones up close.  I've heard some comping him to Matt Ryan, which is interesting because Kyle coached him. I think both would be successful in that system. I agree, I see Mac as a better fit in Carolina.

Via Peter King:

2) Dueling Pro Days on Tuesday might provide a clue. For QB-seekers, what to do when the Pro Days of Mac Jones at Alabama and Justin Fields at Ohio State both happen on Tuesday? I hear the Niners will split the baby, with Lynch and Shanahan expected to attend the Jones workout, while assistant GM Adam Peters likely will lead a small delegation in Columbus to scout Fields. Not sure I would infer huge meaning to that, but it could be significant. How I view it: Jones could be the leader, but it’s not over.

1 minute ago, Greenseed4 said:

No doubt. Still, it is silly smoke season. 

Any benefit to puffing up Jones if they really wanted someone else?

It's possible, but I think the NFL is much higher on Jones than #drafttwitter is. A lot of people said Jones' floor was #8 after the senior bowl, and if SF really does like him, I'm guessing they wanted to get this done fearing that someone else (namely the Patriots) would if they dragged their feet

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

It's possible, but I think the NFL is much higher on Jones than #drafttwitter is. A lot of people said Jones' floor was #8 after the senior bowl, and if SF really does like him, I'm guessing they wanted to get this done fearing that someone else (namely the Patriots) would if they dragged their feet

I guess if they really really like Fields, and are afraid Carolina might trade up with us to take him at #2, it would pay off to hide that interest.  As it stands CAR might be thinking Fields will drop to them at #8 so trading significant capital to get him at #2 would be silly. 

The whole season we heard Lawrence and Fields were 1A/1B.  Hard to believe that come bluff time in silly smoke season everyone feels different about Fields and are being forthcoming with intentions to go Wilson, Jones. 

IDK, just seems odd that everyone would be this transparent with so much on the line. 

4 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I guess if they really really like Fields, and are afraid Carolina might trade up with us to take him at #2, it would pay off to hide that interest.  As it stands CAR might be thinking Fields will drop to them at #8 so trading significant capital to get him at #2 would be silly. 

The whole season we heard Lawrence and Fields were 1A/1B.  Hard to believe that come bluff time in silly smoke season everyone feels different about Fields and are being forthcoming with intentions to go Wilson, Jones. 

IDK, just seems odd that everyone would be this transparent with so much on the line. 

Fields is not nearly as good of a prospect as the media makes him out to be, and it's not totally his fault either. He plays in a system where the QB doesn't have much responsibilities, and there are real concerns with his processing speed

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Just because fans and draft community thought Fields would go 1 or 2 means nothing.. It’s what the NFL thinks..

The Niners can be transparent because there is no reason for a smokescreen..

They clearly talked to the Jets at some point and the Jets said there taking Wilson  so the Niners don’t need to play games to make sure the guy they want is there at 3 for them 

3 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Just because fans and draft community thought Fields would go 1 or 3 means nothing.. It’s what the NFL thinks..

The Niners can be transparent because there is no reason for a smokescreen..

They clearly talked to the Jets at some point and the Jets said there taking Fields* so the Niners don’t need to play games to make sure the guy they want is there at 3 for them 

*Wilson

This is assuming the Jets were convinced, pre-trade, pre-pro day, that the pick was not available. I don’t buy it. 

2 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

*Wilson

This is assuming the Jets were convinced, pre-trade, pre-pro day, that the pick was not available. I don’t buy it. 

Yeah i meant Wilson don’t know why I typed Fields.

You don’t buy  that The Jets were convinced which pick was available?

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Mac Jone gets drafted top 5 without blinking circa 2000. I’m not “shocked” he’s going high but college resume bar is certainly high for pure pocket passers in these days

Jones is certainly good and had a fantastic season, but in the modern day where people draft more based on projection it's very shocking. Especially when guys like Fields and Lance are expected to be there as well who are for all intents and purposes athletics freaks that fit the mold of the ultra talented QB everyone is trying to draft nowadays. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Mac Jone gets drafted top 5 without blinking circa 2000. I’m not “shocked” he’s going high but college resume bar is certainly high for pure pocket passers in these days

Jones is a more athletic version of Kirk Cousins with a college pedigree. Prob not what SF fans want to hear but I'm guessing that's what Shanahan sees in him. I wouldn't call it a foregone conclusion that Jones goes #3 but I think it's realistic

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Yeah i meant Wilson don’t know why I typed Fields.

You don’t buy  that The Jets were convinced which pick was available?

SF didn’t trade all of that capital for #3 without a contingency plan.  They have to be settled on more than 1 QB. 

I don’t buy that Joe Douglas informed them of any absolutes before the pro day or medicals. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Greenseed4 said:

SF didn’t trade all of that capital for #3 without a contingency plan.  They have to be settled on more than 1 QB. 

I don’t buy that Joe Douglas informed them of any absolutes before the pro day or medicals. 

I think when you give up that much you have a guy in mind..

I think the Jets told them they like Wilson.. I don’t think the pro day was needed to convince them.. they’ve seen enough of him to make a decision.

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

Jones is a more athletic version of Kirk Cousins with a college pedigree. Prob not what SF fans want to hear but I'm guessing that's what Shanahan sees in him. I wouldn't call it a foregone conclusion that Jones goes #3 but I think it's realistic

Kirk had legs once upon a time 

4 hours ago, football guy said:

Interesting. 

I can get 8/1 on Jones to be the third QB selected, which seems tempting considering all the information, even though it is far from being a lock. 

Carolina and Denver might get Lance and Fields without even moving much (if at all).  I think there's a 25% chance Joe Douglas doesn't get the market he wants for Darnold and decides to keep him almost out of spite, but more out of practicality and optionality.  Drafting Wilson and keeping Darnold means JD doesn't have to sign a backup QB.  I think he'd still try to swing a trade after the Draft if it didn't happen during the Draft and possibly even into the season.  But I just don't see "Value Joe" letting Sam walk for something like a late 3rd round pick.

33 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Carolina and Denver might get Lance and Fields without even moving much (if at all).  I think there's a 25% chance Joe Douglas doesn't get the market he wants for Darnold and decides to keep him almost out of spite, but more out of practicality and optionality.  Drafting Wilson and keeping Darnold means JD doesn't have to sign a backup QB.  I think he'd still try to swing a trade after the Draft if it didn't happen during the Draft and possibly even into the season.  But I just don't see "Value Joe" letting Sam walk for something like a late 3rd round pick.

It is beginning to look like the Jets may have overplayed their hand with Darnold. Lots of QB movement has taken place already, and many of the teams that want a QB have a legit shot at landing one in the 1st round.  It could be that Darnold is left without a chair, which would not be great for the Jets.

I get wanting to see the QBs throw live and complete your evaluations, but it does appear that has come at the price of limiting the Darnold market and potential return.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

It is beginning to look like the Jets may have overplayed their hand with Darnold. Lots of QB movement has taken place already, and many of the teams that want a QB have a legit shot at landing one in the 1st round.  It could be that Darnold is left without a chair, which would not be great for the Jets.

I get wanting to see the QBs throw live and complete your evaluations, but it does appear that has come at the price of limiting the Darnold market and potential return.

Why is it an overplay?  Why not let Darnold and Wilson go to camp? If we don’t get the compensation JD wants, then we have two bonafide starters on the team for next year.  This Darnold vs. Wilson stuff is a bit overplayed to me.  SF is keeping Garropolo;  Atlanta would keep Ryan if they drafted Lance or Jones;  why wouldn’t the Jets keep Darnold for a year.  Darnold could do worse than learning the Shanahan/LaFleur system for a year before free agency.  He’s not walking into a starting position anywhere.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats what I think, have been saying

I also might add, if SF wants Fields, why not wait until after his pro day to make the trade, what was the rush.  Unless they saw all they needed to see with Lance or more likely Jones on his pro day.  Now with the reports that SF is sending the B team to Fields pro day its pretty obvious hes fallen to 4th at best.

I know those who were bored watch pro days dont understand but teams want to see a QB throw live, want to see how the ball comes off his hand, how it rotates.  They also want to see how he acts, his demeanor live and of course talk a bit live. 

Personally, I think lance and Jones (to a lesser extent physically) are better fits for what Shanahan wants to do with his offense.  Fields is supremely talented, I think he has star potential for sure, but I do believe that they want someone who is a little more of a progression read thrower and has more experience in that mold.  I would say too that Lance physically offers pretty much everything you get with Fields, with a better arm, but its really the unknown with him. He's barely played so its hard to say what he is.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, football guy said:

I’ve been saying this. Agreed.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Personally, I think lance and Jones (to a lesser extent physically) are better fits for what Shanahan wants to do with his offense.  Fields is supremely talented, I think he has star potential for sure, but I do believe that they want someone who is a little more of a progression read thrower and has more experience in that mold.  I would say too that Lance physically offers pretty much everything you get with Fields, with a better arm, but its really the unknown with him. He's barely played so its hard to say what he is.  

I agree.  I love Lances skill set.  Way back when, before the annual QB craze started, I was going back and forth between Fields and Wilson or a trade down and Lance.  Of course as happens every year the QB desperate teams drive the value of QBs up and Lance becomes a top 5 pick and that idea browns up.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

I’ve been saying. The league isn’t suddenly throwing away the QB prototype for a trend. The goal of the GM/HC is to hit on these picks, not play fantasy football and “find the next...”

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

Why is it an overplay?  Why not let Darnold and Wilson go to camp? If we don’t get the compensation JD wants, then we have two bonafide starters on the team for next year.  This Darnold vs. Wilson stuff is a bit overplayed to me.  SF is keeping Garropolo;  Atlanta would keep Ryan if they drafted Lance or Jones;  why wouldn’t the Jets keep Darnold for a year.  Darnold could do worse than learning the Shanahan/LaFleur system for a year before free agency.  He’s not walking into a starting position anywhere.

That doesn't help Wilson.  Everything the Jets should be doing right now should be about helping Wilson.

We don't need a QB controversy, we don't need someone taking reps away from Wilson or any more time of the QB coach.

You can't bring Sam back.  

On 3/27/2021 at 10:14 PM, Lith said:

I am still hoping that maybe there is a chance we take Fields.  Realistically, I don't see it happening.   I don't understand it, but have come to accept that Wilson is likely our guy.

I'm not understanding the fading of Fields in the NFL compared to Wilson, Lance and Jones.  Not getting it at all.  Very strange.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That doesn't help Wilson.  Everything the Jets should be doing right now should be about helping Wilson.

We don't need a QB controversy, we don't need someone taking reps away from Wilson or any more time of the QB coach.

You can't bring Sam back.  

If your pup of a QB cant take being #2 hist first season, hes not your QB.  Sitting behind a starter never hurt QBs before.  All of a sudden its a detriment.  

As far as taking snaps, theres going to be 3-4 QBs in camp, doesnt make a difference if one is named Darnold or has a different name.  

9 hours ago, football guy said:

There's a lot of Joe Burrow in his game and he's a sneaky athlete. I don't think it would be as shocking if Jones didn't have the "Tua's backup" stigma attached to his name

Mac Jones is going to be better than both Fields and Wilson

11 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I'm not understanding the fading of Fields in the NFL compared to Wilson, Lance and Jones.  Not getting it at all.  Very strange.

Wilson is just pure hype train because idiots are masturbating to throws he made against Provo Community College

Jones is just better