What are the reasons to not draft Kyle Pitts?

Philc1

If drafted by a team that understands how best to use him, Pitts is a matchup nightmare.  Jimmy Graham is a good example. Sean Peyton knew how to use him and in years 2 through 5 in New Orleans Graham averaged over 137 targets and 88 receptions per season. In the 6 seasons since leaving New Orleans, Graham's high for targets and receptions in any season were 96 and 65. 

I've got no problem picking Pitts, but if he's picked he has to be utilized to his full potential and leaned on heavily.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Is better than Wilson and Fields 

Impossible to tell without either one ever taking an NFL snap. Yet, even if he is, he was still the worse QB in the NFL last year. So we keep him and let’s say we go 8-8 then what? Do you pay him like a FQB? It’s just a very difficult situation.,

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Sure, but the topic is why not to draft Pitts.

Yes but as @JetNuts replied to my comment that if we were to go on the premises that we don't pick players because of our previous bad history with that position we would never pick any players.

You pick Pitts because he is a very good player and our history with Tight Ends has noting to do with it.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

The only legitimate reason is Penei Sewell is an equally great OL prospect and we desperately need OL too besides playmakers

Love the talent...But I think I have to stick with Sewell.  Without that OLine no QB is going to have time to throw the ball to him.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

I just hope Joe channels his inner Ozzie Newsome and trades back to  4 or 8 which will give the Jets a haul of draft picks they desperately need to improve this team. It's a smart bet for Joe to have more premium draft picks in '21, '22, and '23. I don't want to put all our eggs in the Zach Wilson basket. 

All of our eggs? We have another first round pick, possibly two 2nd rounders if we trade Darnold & another two 3rd rounders & then in 22’ we have another two 1st round picks. What is this talk like we only have our #2 overall pick and nothing else afterwards to build the team? Some of you just want to trade back because you don’t want Wilson, it has nothing to do with picks, it can’t, that argument doesn’t make sense.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Because if we don't take wilson, which its looking more and more like we will, the better option would be to take sewell or trade down

Pretty interesting, Sewels stock seems to be falling.  Hes been downgraded to the second OT of this draft by many.  Apparently maturity issues and work ethic questions coming into play

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

All of our eggs? We have another first round pick, possibly two 2nd rounders if we trade Darnold & another two 3rd rounders & then in 22’ we have another two 1st round picks. What is this talk like we only have our #2 overall pick and nothing else afterwards to build the team? Some of you just want to trade back because you don’t want Wilson, it has nothing to do with picks, it can’t, that argument doesn’t make sense.

Yes you're correct in that we have a nice amount of picks. But trading down to add an ADDITIONAL  3 to 4 premium picks in the next couple of years would be an awesome way to build towards sustainable success.  

For God sakes, build a team. And your QB will be better. Maybe much better. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty interesting, Sewels stock seems to be falling.  Hes been downgraded to the second OT of this draft by many.  Apparently maturity issues and work ethic questions coming into play

Wouldn't surprise me. Growing chatter than the Bengals may take Chase to pair up with his LSU buddy at QB. And rely on IOL help in later rounds. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Yes you're correct in that we have a nice amount of picks. But trading down to add an ADDITIONAL  3 to 4 premium picks in the next couple of years would be an awesome way to build towards sustainable success.  

Both are true, sure, that would be awesome, but it’s not a must make move, it’s not worth passing on a QB at 2. You can take the QB at 2 & still build a very good roster with the current resources that the Jets have. I feel like the only situation where I could find it reasonable to pass on a QB at 2 and trade down is if they had very limited picks after 2. If we were in the Texans boat with draft capital, trading down would make more sense to me. 

1 hour ago, adobolo2 said:

Yes but as @JetNuts replied to my comment that if we were to go on the premises that we don't pick players because of our previous bad history with that position we would never pick any players.

You pick Pitts because he is a very good player and our history with Tight Ends has noting to do with it.

I think sometimes people take comments on message boards a little too seriously. Don't worry I'm not JD. I won't be handing in the card. I'm a huge fan of the TE position, and think if you want him you take him. I just remember the Jets blatantly ugly history with first round TEs and thought to make light of that history. #TEsMATTER

46 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sewell isn’t even the defacto #1 prospect at his position. Slater is ahead of him on multiple boards.

Hes falling.  

After all the hype over a guy who didnt play last season, its odd 

46 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

At some point you have to stop collecting picks and use them where you need help.  Youre not winning in this league without a QB who can get you wins.  Sam hasnt been able to do that so you have to get a QB.  We're in a great position to get one, we may not be in this position with a QB worth drafting for years.  Grab the QB and with as many picks as high JD has accumulated he has enough bullets to bring in talent

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

I'm strictly talking about turning that #2 overall pick into multiple premium picks in this draft and the next two drafts. Is Zach Wilson worth all of that? That's what I mean by putting all our eggs into one basket.  Take Zach Wilson at No. 2 or trade the pick and turn it into several other premium picks who could be great players? As for you saying I don't want Wilson, you correct. On this Jets team I don't want Zach Wilson. The Jets have too many needs and they are NOT a risky pick on a quarterback, who's from BYU, away from becoming a contender. When I see the 2nd overall pick I see several picks/players I'd rather have down the road instead of a BYU quarterback who came out of nowhere with multiple shoulder injuries playing against subpar competition. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

TE isnt an impact position.  I dont want to draft him at 8 either.  Let some other team that is a TE away draft him.  Need WR and Oline first

i wonder what bellichick thinks of this as it looks like he is gearing up to run 4 TE sets

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sewell isn’t even the defacto #1 prospect at his position. Slater is ahead of him on multiple boards.

It’s funny a month ago Sewell was being talked about as being the best LT prospect in a generation, maybe ever. 

Now it’s likely he’s not even the best LT in a single draft? 

People keep using that word “generational”.

I do not think that word means what they think it does. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s funny a month ago Sewell was being talked about as being the best LT prospect in a generation, maybe ever. 

Now it’s likely he’s not even the best LT in a single draft? 

People keep using that word “generational”.

I do not think that word means what they think it does. 

I always thought that Sewells greatness was helped by not seeing him play for a year.  Hes good, real good but he isnt close to being a dominating run blocker and thats usually where college OTs excel.  

And really, how can they name one generational player for a position after another?  I thought it meant best of a generation.  Guess not

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, PS17 said:

Even in some fantasy world where we didn’t draft a QB with our first pick, Chase would be the best choice. He dominated the SEC at 19. 

We have 4 solid receivers now.  Chase would take one of them off the field.  

Adding Pitts would be the biggest upgrade to the offense this season.

5 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Pitts is going to be a way more valuable player than Adams

ditto for wilson and fields

No offense but you are really making a fool of yourself.  Please stop, you are a better poster than this.