What are the reasons to not draft Kyle Pitts?

Philc1

41 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Travis Kelce and Rob Gronkowski say hi

kelce (a 3rd round pick) had 6 catches for 43 yards in their SB win.  of the list of offensive players to lead to KC to that title, he ranks 4 or 5th after mahomes, d. williams, t. hill and even watkins in that game.  he also had the league MVP throwing him the ball.

gronk (a 2nd round pick) is a great TE, but he happens to play with possibly the best QB to have ever played the game.  in the 3 SB wins he's played in, he's never had more than 6 catches.  again, a valuable player, but not really "THE" reason his team won any of those games.

now should we go over the list of QBs who've made a great impact vs. TEs who've made a great impact or review the history of TEs drafted in the top 5?  heck, i don't even like taking a WR that high.  but a TE????  faghetaboutit....

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

kelce (a 3rd round pick) had 6 catches for 43 yards in their SB win.  of the list of offensive players to lead to KC to that title, he ranks 4 or 5th after mahomes, d. williams, t. hill and even watkins in that game.  he also had the league MVP throwing him the ball.

gronk (a 2nd round pick) is a great TE, but he happens to play with possibly the best QB to have ever played the game.  in the 3 SB wins he's played in, he's never had more than 6 catches.  again, a valuable player, but not really "THE" reason his team won any of those games.

now should we go over the list of QBs who've made a great impact vs. TEs who've made a great impact or review the history of TEs drafted in the top 5?  heck, i don't even like taking a WR that high.  but a TE????  faghetaboutit....

And Tom Brady was drafted in round 6 we should only draft qbs in round 6

Kelce was second in the league in receiving yards btw which is not bad for a “luxury” position 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Kelce was second in the league in receiving yards btw which is not bad for a “luxury” position 

lol at trying to equate the importance of a QB with that of a TE

yeah, kelce is a tremendous player.  remind me of how many playoff games he won before the chiefs added mahomes?  (answer = 1 between 2013-2018).

there is a reason teams don't draft TEs with premium picks.  they aren't a premium position and more often than not, the best ones aren't even 1st round picks.  now granted brady shows that you can find a great QB outside of the top part of the draft.  but there is a reason teams place an emphasis of drafting QBs high.  it is the most important position in the game. 

now i'm not sure if any of the guys available in the draft are franchise QBs.  but taking a TE with the 2nd pick is sheer stupidity for a franchise with no definitive answer to the QB position.  even if you could guarantee me that pitts has a career equal to kelce (probably hall of fame caliber), i still wouldn't use the #2 pick on him.  of course, there are no such guarantees

17 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

This doesn't make any sense. Brady is the exception to the rule. How many TEs have been 2nd in the league in receiving yards? He is also the exception to the rule. 

TEs drafted in the top 10 since 2000 (I expanded it to 10 since a list of the top 5 is blank)

2019 - TJ Hockenson (8)

2014 - Eric Ebron (10)

2006 - Vernon Davis (6)

2004 - Kellen Winslow Jr (6)

Now for those that consider Pitts more of a "receiver", here's the list of WRs taken in the top 6 since 2000.  

2017 - Corey Davis (5)

2015 - Amari Cooper (4)

2014 - Sammy Watkins (4)

2012 - Justin Blackmon (4)

2011 - AJ Green (4), Julio Jones (6)

2007 - Calvin Johnson (2)

2005 - Braylon Edwards (3)

2004 - Larry Fitzgerald (3)

2003 - Charles Rodgers (2), Andre Johnson (3)

2000 - Peter Warrick (4)

Even here it's not a tremendously impressive list considering we are talking 21 years of draft history.  There are possibly 4 eventual hall of famers on the list, but I don't think any of them have actually won a super bowl, let alone had any meaningful and prolonged playoff success.  I guess Watkins has a ring, but that's on his 3rd team as a role player, not a stud WR.

• 6 months later...
Pitts is my favorite prospect in this draft but we pretty much have 0 chance at him because if we don't take qb we are not staying at pick 2 and he won't be there for us if we move down. The kid has atlanta falcons written all over him

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

My prediction was pretty good

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1