Panthers Disaster?

31 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

https://catcrave.com/2021/03/26/carolina-panthers-disaster-grade-49ers-move-3/

Simply a Fan Article but we are not talking about the Panthers enough. The trades that happened last week were actually extremely beneficial for the Jets. Why?

1. It gave a comp for a Jets trade to be made. It makes trade talks easier and will give us a better return if a trade happens. 

2. The trade absolutely screwed the Panthers who seem absolutely desperate for a QB. 

As of right now the draft looks to start with 

1. Lawrence. 

2. Wilson. 

3. Lance. 

4 Atlanta - Could take Fields. They are scouting QB's hard. But even if not there are not trading with Carolina who is in their division. 

5. Cincy - Sewell falls in their laps. Can't see them trading. 

6. Miami - Pitts/Chase falls in their laps. Can't see them trading. 

7. Detroit - Also could take Fields or could trade down with Denver/NE. 

8. Carolina - The GM didn't even go to Mac Jones Pro Day. This is QB or Bust for them and they're not getting a top 4 QB. 

The Board right now essentially is trading up with the Jets for the Panthers or things could get really ugly in Carolina. I know many people saw Wilson's Pro Day and think this whole conversation is done. That is not the case. The Jets trade down talks are just getting started and with the SF trade our offers should be a-lot better than we anticipated. There should be alot of smoke between the Jets/Panthers the next 2 weeks. 

It should also be noted that this isn't the Niners who will be drafting 20 or later yearly. Carolina could be sending our way top ten picks in 2022 and 2023. If a trade happens the Jets will be absolutely loaded in the next few years. 

If the jets make a trade with the Panthers it is to send sam darnold back to ay catch with robbie.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

I’ll take #4 and Matt Ryan for # 2.

Let ATL start over. Give us the proven vet who played his best in Shanny O. Throw Sam on the bench, then extend him next year for backup pay.

Don’t have to think WB for another 4-5 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5

3 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If the jets make a trade with the Panthers it is to send sam darnold back to ay catch with robbie.

Im fine with that if a trade down doesn't work. 2.8 is a great spot in the draft. 

If you read Rhule's comments earlier this offseason no way this team is going into the season with Bridgewater. Something is happening(No QB Signed yet) with them and they match up extremely well with us. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The Jets trade down is over sir.

The Jets would have happily taken SF’s massive offer if they were looking for a trade down.

The Jets would have traded down to 6 with Philly, who love Zach Wilson if they were looking for a trade down.

The Panthers have a better shot of landing Watson in a trade than the #2 pick.

Why are you assuming the Jets were willing to drop all the way to 12?

Why are you assuming Philly offered a trade to #2? Was there any news about this?

Any reason why Atlanta wouldn't offer a trade for #2?  Carolina could still get crazy and F around.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ll take #4 and Matt Ryan for # 2.

Let ATL start over. Give us the proven vet who played his best in Shanny O. Throw Sam on the bench, then extend him next year for backup pay.

Don’t have to think WB for another 4-5 years.

Interested GIF by reactionseditor

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Im fine with that if a trade down doesn't work. 2.8 is a great spot in the draft. 

If you read Rhule's comments earlier this offseason no way this team is going into the season with Bridgewater. Something is happening(No QB Signed yet) with them and they match up extremely well with us. 

Yeah maybe once the Jets get Wilson's medical stuff in a week or so the Jets will trade Sam. Carolina makes sense.

The Jets taking Wilson at 2 is a done deal though imo.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Simply a Fan Article but we are not talking about the Panthers enough. The trades that happened last week were actually extremely beneficial for the Jets. Why?

1. It gave a comp for a Jets trade to be made. It makes trade talks easier and will give us a better return if a trade happens. 

2. The trade absolutely screwed the Panthers who seem absolutely desperate for a QB. 

1. Lawrence. 

2. Wilson. 

3. Lance. 

4 Atlanta - Could take Fields. They are scouting QB's hard. But even if not there are not trading with Carolina who is in their division. 

8. Carolina - The GM didn't even go to Mac Jones Pro Day. This is QB or Bust for them and they're not getting a top 4 QB. 

The Board right now essentially is trading up with the Jets for the Panthers or things could get really ugly in Carolina. I know many people saw Wilson's Pro Day and think this whole conversation is done. That is not the case. The Jets trade down talks are just getting started and with the SF trade our offers should be a-lot better than we anticipated. There should be alot of smoke between the Jets/Panthers the next 2 weeks. 

It should also be noted that this isn't the Niners who will be drafting 20 or later yearly. Carolina could be sending our way top ten picks in 2022 and 2023. If a trade happens the Jets will be absolutely loaded in the next few years. 

Who cares about being loaded with picks if we pass on the elite prospects this year. We are already loaded with picks - at some point it just becomes a game and you lose site of the most important position on the field, which is what gets you to be a great team. Sure, let's grab a millions picks so we can trade them all when we are picking at #15 next year for a prospect that isn't as good as the top 4 this year. Or we can pick a QB without sacrificing our picks and use the haul we already have, especially after Sam is traded.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

That is a good take, but there is a scenario you do not account for.

Perhaps JD was asking more for the #2 than SF and Philly were willing to offer. Now that SF and Philly have done their deals, the options that are available to the Panthers are to trade up to 4 with Atlanta and take the QB that falls to them out of Wilson, Fields or Lance or trade up with the Jets to get the non-lawrence QB of their choosing. The question is do the Panthers have a preference. If they love one of the QB's, they trade with the Jets. If they believe them near equals, they trade with Atlanta.

As for what they can trade, they have plenty of draft capital to beat the Niners offer by a large margin. The Niners gave the 12th pick, a compensatory 3d round pick, and their first round picks for the next two season. The Panthers can offer the 8th pick, 39th pick (2d round) and their first round picks the next two seasons.  That is substantially higher offer. We've seen that JD just doesn't take the best offer, rather he sets a price and gets what he wants in a trade taking advantage of other GM's desperate notions that they "need" to make the trade.

So, JD, has the board looking exactly like he wants except for the Falcons at 4 (but my feeling is the Falcons have eyes only for Pitts). IF Carolina feels they "need" to guarantee what QB they get, they have to meet JD's price.

You make it sound like it's a no brainer that the other teams will trade with you. There isn't a chance in hell Atlanta trades with the Panthers so they can watch that QB kick their butts for a decade. All of this is hypothetical. It's just as far fetched IMO that the Jets will not pick Wilson and trade back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

1. Lawrence. 

2. Wilson. 

3. Lance. 

Wait, don’t we need a QB too?  Wtf

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

I think the Jets probably just take Wilson, but it’s not nearly as over as many people here would like to believe. Carolina has to figure out their own QB issue, and their choices are hoping Watson’s not a sexual deviant and becomes available via trade, or trading with the Jets.

Joe Douglas is all about value. We’ve seen that already in the way he deals with free agents and makes trades. There’s a value he has on Zach Wilson, and Carolina will have to beat that if they want a specific QB in this draft. If they do, JD pulls the trigger. I do not believe he’s made that pick unavailable as of yet. Not at all. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

This is one of the worst possible outcomes for the Panthers and makes things incredibly difficult for them. They might pull a rabbit out of the hat. But even if the organization does end up with someone like Sam Darnold, Jones, or another development project as their possible options, it is a far cry from their ambitious plans at the start of the offseason that included Watson or Matthew Stafford.

Quick, Joe Douglas, deal the Darnold. 

We all know you're taking the Mormon. 

Sign the Minshew as either a bridge or backup.

Let the Panthers deal with the consequences of putting all their eggs in the Watson trade basket.

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

1. Lawrence. 

2. Wilson. 

3. Lance. 

mike tannenbaum made a good point: “What the 49ers showed was that the difference between Zach Wilson  and Darnold is 2 1st round picks and a 3rd “

Our coach just came from SF you really think that the NYJ are trading out of #2 overall in a draft where Kyle and John just mortgaged the teams future to move up in, when they could’ve had Sam for wayyyyy cheaper? 

Can’t see us trading down at all

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the Jets probably just take Wilson, but it’s not nearly as over as many people here would like to believe. Carolina has to figure out their own QB issue, and their choices are hoping Watson’s not a sexual deviant and becomes available via trade, or trading with the Jets.

Joe Douglas is all about value. We’ve seen that already in the way he deals with free agents and makes trades. There’s a value he has on Zach Wilson, and Carolina will have to beat that if they want a specific QB in this draft. If they do, JD pulls the trigger. I do not believe he’s made that pick unavailable as of yet. Not at all. 

Absolutely.  Douglas values maximizing as many draft picks as possible. That’s why I knew the Jets were probably never really that serious about Watson because if the cost and the holes we have.  Personally I feel having a ton of picks over the next 2-3 years will make the Jets a long term contender.  Now I’m only trading 2 IF we get a even better package than what SF traded and JD feels the same way I think 

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

mike tannenbaum made a good point: “What the 49ers showed was that the difference between Zach Wilson  and Darnold is 2 1st round picks and a 3rd “

Our coach just came from SF you really think that the NYJ are trading out of #2 overall in a draft where Kyle and John just mortgaged the teams future to move up in, when they could’ve had Sam for wayyyyy cheaper? 

Can’t see us trading down at all

I don’t think it’s a done deal quite yet.  Like I mentioned in a previous post I don’t think Douglas wanted to drop all the way to 12.  Plus we would need an even better package than the SF trade.  It remains to be seen if another team like Carolina would do that 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Who cares about being loaded with picks if we pass on the elite prospects this year. We are already loaded with picks - at some point it just becomes a game and you lose site of the most important position on the field, which is what gets you to be a great team. Sure, let's grab a millions picks so we can trade them all when we are picking at #15 next year for a prospect that isn't as good as the top 4 this year. Or we can pick a QB without sacrificing our picks and use the haul we already have, especially after Sam is traded.

The quarterbacks who have been better have tended to be drafted later and go to better situations.

Either that’s reason to focus on improving the team before taking a quarterback, or the NFL has repeatedly drafted the worse guys at the top of the draft.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

The Jets trade down is over sir.

The Jets would have happily taken SF’s massive offer if they were looking for a trade down.

The Jets would have traded down to 6 with Philly, who love Zach Wilson if they were looking for a trade down.

The Panthers have a better shot of landing Watson in a trade than the #2 pick.

So then Schefter is lying??? JD was never offered the trade. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jets723 said:

Absolutely.  Douglas values maximizing as many draft picks as possible. That’s why I knew the Jets were probably never really that serious about Watson because if the cost and the holes we have.  Personally I feel having a ton of picks over the next 2-3 years will make the Jets a long term contender.  Now I’m only trading 2 IF we get a even better package than what SF traded and JD feels the same way I think 

Yeah, the bidding opens at #8, #39, and 2022 & 2023 first rounders, and I'm not even sure if that's going to be enough. Really depends on how much JD loves Wilson and/or trusts this staff to have Darnold looking at least competent this season. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Joe Douglas has said the only time he wouldn't take a call on a player was for a franchise QB. From all indications Joe is enamored with Zach Wilson and thinks he will be a star. There is no offer Joe is willing to listen to that will make him move the pick. Why did Adam Schefter say the 49ers had trade talks with all the teams in the top 5 except the Jaguars and Jets? The Dolphins could have traded the pick with the Eagles straight up instead of going down and up. The Eagles wanted Zach Wilson but knew the #2 pick is off limits and #3 wouldn't get him. Forget about the trade down the #2 pick is not open for  business based on Joe Douglas own words.

We are in total agreement.  Common sense says that Douglas spoke with both San Francisco and Philly yesterday at Wilson day, and Douglas told them that he is staying put at #2 to pick Wilson.

That is why these trades went down at the day and time that they did.  

Our offensive lineman will come at either #23 or #34.  No way Douglas trades the 23rd pick, unless it is for an extra 1st round pick for next year.  O lineman must happen by #34.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

I don’t think it’s a done deal quite yet.  Like I mentioned in a previous post I don’t think Douglas wanted to drop all the way to 12.  Plus we would need an even better package than the SF trade.  It remains to be seen if another team like Carolina would do that 

He could have traded with Philly at 6 if he didn't want Wilson. 

• Upvote 1