Panthers Disaster?

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, the bidding opens at #8, #39, and 2022 & 2023 first rounders, and I'm not even sure if that's going to be enough. Really depends on how much JD loves Wilson and/or trusts this staff to have Darnold looking at least competent this season. 

Exactly 

3 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I’ll swap with the Panthers if, along with the 8th pick, they included 2 additional 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks.

The Miami trade to 12 was good but I’d need more to move from number 2.

That’s exactly what I think JD wants. He wants 2 first and 2 seconds I think 

• Sympathy 1

I keep seeing this philly angle, philly is totally a non player here.  They traded down with miami, they have no intention of trading up at all and have no intention of going for a QB.  The jets were not trading with philly.

Carolina was all in on Watson but that has all changed, no team is going to deal for him until his issues re resolved and that could be a year or more.

Carolina will circle back to the Jets the whole issue hinges on the Jets love for Wilson or like for Wilson.

I think it is most likely we take Wilson but if Carolina ups the ante a trade could still be in the board.

21 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

So then Schefter is lying??? JD was never offered the trade. 

Lying no? There was offer because the convo went something like this..

”JD! Its the Lynch man watup??!!”

”Lynchy you old Christ roller! You calling about Sam the Sham? Asking for your 2nd still.”

”Noway he sucks. We’re actually wondering what your price for #2 is.”

”Not for sale. Try Miami or Atlanta bro.”

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I really don't believe Sam has much trade value until he shows he can do better.  There is something to be said for Sam starting the season and if he falters in a system that is custom made for him, then you have Zach Wilson waiting in the wings.  We have the cap space to pull this off this year.  

We would still have at minimum four more picks in the top 100 and a pick at 107.  That gives us an opportunity to fill a few more spots on the offense.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

We trade Darnold for Carolina's second and the New Zach City era begins.

We should sign Minshew too. 

IF that could happen, that might be the best scenario for everyone.  I don't think Carolina will be willing to give everything up for Wilson, and a high second pick still gives the team a chance to give Darnold a top weapon with the #8 pick.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

IF that could happen, that might be the best scenario for everyone.  I don't think Carolina will be willing to give everything up for Wilson, and a high second pick still gives the team a chance to give Darnold a top weapon with the #8 pick.

It clearly makes sense of us - we start over with another talented prospect and a new team/system, still have three first rounders left after that pick over this draft and the next and you get something reasonably palatable back for Sam.

Carolina? That's a little trickier. I doubt they're happy to be in the position they're in now post 49er trade/Watson-scandal. The Darnold move is a clear plan C for them, but it's also not nearly as expensive as plan A or B and doesn't tie your hands long term.

I think it makes more sense from a Jets perspective, but I genuinely wonder how comfortable the Panthers are going with the plan C scenario. That's hardly an easy pill to swallow, and some people get stubborn in situations like this. 

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

The Jets trade down is over sir.

The Jets would have happily taken SF’s massive offer if they were looking for a trade down.

The Jets would have traded down to 6 with Philly, who love Zach Wilson if they were looking for a trade down.

The Panthers have a better shot of landing Watson in a trade than the #2 pick.

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Joe Douglas has said the only time he wouldn't take a call on a player was for a franchise QB. From all indications Joe is enamored with Zach Wilson and thinks he will be a star. There is no offer Joe is willing to listen to that will make him move the pick. Why did Adam Schefter say the 49ers had trade talks with all the teams in the top 5 except the Jaguars and Jets? The Dolphins could have traded the pick with the Eagles straight up instead of going down and up. The Eagles wanted Zach Wilson but knew the #2 pick is off limits and #3 wouldn't get him. Forget about the trade down the #2 pick is not open for  business based on Joe Douglas own words.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The fact the the 9ers (Saleh's old team we have a great relationship with) traded to 3 instead of with us and that the Eagles (JDs old team) were reported by Rapaport to have been interested in trading up to 3 but only for WIlson tells you everything you need to know.

We're drafting Zach Wilson at 2.

Objection; Speculation. 

Everything in bold may be true but it is not proven by the evidence submitted. 

18 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

What people are failing to understand is that after SF’s trade up...the cost for our #2 will be close to equivalent to the asking price for Watson.

Those teams would be better off going after Watson. 

Is Watson available? 

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

https://catcrave.com/2021/03/26/carolina-panthers-disaster-grade-49ers-move-3/

Simply a Fan Article but we are not talking about the Panthers enough. The trades that happened last week were actually extremely beneficial for the Jets. Why?

1. It gave a comp for a Jets trade to be made. It makes trade talks easier and will give us a better return if a trade happens. 

2. The trade absolutely screwed the Panthers who seem absolutely desperate for a QB. 

As of right now the draft looks to start with 

1. Lawrence. 

2. Wilson. 

3. Lance. 

4 Atlanta - Could take Fields. They are scouting QB's hard. But even if not there are not trading with Carolina who is in their division. 

5. Cincy - Sewell falls in their laps. Can't see them trading. 

6. Miami - Pitts/Chase falls in their laps. Can't see them trading. 

7. Detroit - Also could take Fields or could trade down with Denver/NE. 

8. Carolina - The GM didn't even go to Mac Jones Pro Day. This is QB or Bust for them and they're not getting a top 4 QB. 

The Board right now essentially is trading up with the Jets for the Panthers or things could get really ugly in Carolina. I know many people saw Wilson's Pro Day and think this whole conversation is done. That is not the case. The Jets trade down talks are just getting started and with the SF trade our offers should be a-lot better than we anticipated. There should be alot of smoke between the Jets/Panthers the next 2 weeks. 

It should also be noted that this isn't the Niners who will be drafting 20 or later yearly. Carolina could be sending our way top ten picks in 2022 and 2023. If a trade happens the Jets will be absolutely loaded in the next few years. 

The Jets are not handing a franchise QB to another QB needy team. There is no amount of draft picks that's worth skipping on a potential FQB when you need one. The Jets are trying to move UP from 23 or 34  bc they're not moving back from 2.

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Joe Douglas has said the only time he wouldn't take a call on a player was for a franchise QB. From all indications Joe is enamored with Zach Wilson and thinks he will be a star. There is no offer Joe is willing to listen to that will make him move the pick. Why did Adam Schefter say the 49ers had trade talks with all the teams in the top 5 except the Jaguars and Jets? The Dolphins could have traded the pick with the Eagles straight up instead of going down and up. The Eagles wanted Zach Wilson but knew the #2 pick is off limits and #3 wouldn't get him. Forget about the trade down the #2 pick is not open for  business based on Joe Douglas own words.

You mind posting this words because I must have missed them.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

If Rhule is truly desperate, he might throw a godzilla offer at Douglas to move up.  I think that's a call JD takes.

Three firsts?  to move down to 8?  He's probably not hanging up the phone just yet.

At 8, Pitts and Chase are likely gone.  But you can't spell 8later without 8.  Not saying it's the right move, but the Jets have not come right out and said the pick is not for sale.  Now they might only be willing to go down as far as 4 with ATL but I think this is going to drag on until the actual draft.

The good news is, we are in the driver's seat.  Not making a trade still works for us.  Enjoy the journey.

Best post in the thread.  

I can actually see us trading down to #8, then back up to #4. 

Atlanta’s pass defense ranked #32 last year, but #4 might be a little high to get a CB.  Looking at the board, #8 is a great spot to grab Surtain (and extra picks), but not if it means helping a division rival draft their FQB.  We can play facilitator, and all benefit. 

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

You mind posting this words because I must have missed them.

https://abc7ny.com/sports/jets-jamal-adams-says-gm-joe-douglas-went-behind-my-back/5657358/

In a post-deadline news conference, Douglas confirmed that he fielded offers for Adams, but claimed he didn't initiate any of the conversations. He said his policy is to listen to all offers, and that no player -- except for a franchise quarterback -- is untouchable.

8 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Jets are not handing a franchise QB to another QB needy team. There is no amount of draft picks that's worth skipping on a potential FQB when you need one. The Jets are trying to move UP from 23 or 34  bc they're not moving back from 2.

This

These Darnold truthers are blind if they can’t  see the writing on the wall after Zach’s pro day and everything that transpired. 

Kyle and John could’ve had Darnold for pennies compared to what they spent for #3 overall but would rather take a shot on the 3rd best QB in this draft. Let that sink in...  

Lmaooo these Darnold truthers are comical 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Maybe. But the point is, if what Houston is asking for Watson is close to what the Jets are asking for 2...teams aren’t ponying up that cost for an unproven rookie vs a top 3 QB.

Teams might not be in a hurry to exchange significant draft capital until Watson’s legal matters get sorted. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I’ll take #4 and Matt Ryan for # 2.

Let ATL start over. Give us the proven vet who played his best in Shanny O. Throw Sam on the bench, then extend him next year for backup pay.

Don’t have to think WB for another 4-5 years.

I wonder if it's feasible to trade Ryan after ATL just restructured his contract. 

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Lmaooo these Darnold truthers are comical 

Who are these Darnold Truthers you speak of?

Are you suggesting that those in favor of trading down, accumulating significant draft capital, and building the team without a rookie QB at #2 are wrong? 

Are you better than them because your opinion is “better”? 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

Who are these Darnold Truthers you speak of?

Are you suggesting that those in favor of trading down, accumulating significant draft capital, and building the team without a rookie QB at #2 are wrong? 

Are you better than them because your opinion is “better”? 

Well, since 100% of the people who want to trade down and pass on a potential franchise QB also want to keep Darnold I would say they're 1 in the same. 

17 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

https://abc7ny.com/sports/jets-jamal-adams-says-gm-joe-douglas-went-behind-my-back/5657358/

In a post-deadline news conference, Douglas confirmed that he fielded offers for Adams, but claimed he didn't initiate any of the conversations. He said his policy is to listen to all offers, and that no player -- except for a franchise quarterback -- is untouchable.

Sorry, I still don't see the part about the #2 pick being Untouchable 

• WTF? 1

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

Well, since 100% of the people who want to trade down and pass on a potential franchise QB also want to keep Darnold I would say they're 1 in the same. 

Here’s one for ya: trade down, get picks and build team, and then trade for Watson if Darnold flops with a proper supporting cast. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Our one unbeatable trump card in the Watson situation is the #2 pick.

Right now, yes. 

Post draft (with a trade down): we would be the only team that could offer THREE 1st round picks in 2022 as part of a trade package. 

• Upvote 1