Joe Douglas and draft trends

maury77

On 3/28/2021 at 9:41 AM, maury77 said:

At the outset, it seems funny to say Douglas has trends when he has only had 1 draft (its a small sample size), but we definitely noticed 2 trends which we should keep an eye on.

1) Athleticism

I don't think Douglas refers to https://relativeathleticscores.com/, but look at their results from the last draft. 

1409291774_ScreenShot2021-03-28at9_40_23AM.thumb.png.78baab64107a205eaf16fcdc41b64c99.png                                                                   

3 of the Jets first 4 selections scored a 9.74 or above on their RAS. The only pick that didn't (Ashtyn Davis) was a competitive NCAA hurdler who couldn't workout due to injury but was widely believed to be an elite athlete. 

Now let's look at what this year's numbers look like so far

2133633013_ScreenShot2021-03-28at9_45_10AM.thumb.png.9e59d44ef519cd5ec4c8145d96057d04.png

518986041_ScreenShot2021-03-28at9_45_26AM.thumb.png.ff1691d6d4b534fbda429ea091693a8d.png

What sticks out to me are the number of offensive lineman (especially guys that should be available after round 1) that scored through the roof on their testing. Seeing how passive Douglas was about chasing lineman in free agency makes me suspect he really likes the OL class and we are going to see multiple selections there before the end of the second day of the draft (especially if he trades back). 

2) Team captains

In 2020, Douglas drafted 5 former team captains: https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/04/26/jets-joe-douglas-former-college-captains-2020-nfl-draft/

Unfortunately, I cannot find a list of what prospects are team captains, but it is something to keep an eye on. 

Great stuff. 

I just remember boar hunter and thinking why can't we draft the team captains that are athletic?

Really great point about Oline. As you mentioned we did nothing there in FA. Also when you look at the contracts he gave out last year he gave himself a 2 year window to draft lineman. Basically all of those contracts either expire or you can cut easily after this year. Put the two things together and I think were looking at 2-3 high OL picks this year. The stars are aligning for the Oline to be fixed this year. 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Great stuff. 

I just remember boar hunter and thinking why can't we draft the team captains that are athletic?

Really great point about Oline. As you mentioned we did nothing there in FA. Also when you look at the contracts he gave out last year he gave himself a 2 year window to draft lineman. Basically all of those contracts either expire or you can cut easily after this year. Put the two things together and I think were looking at 2-3 high OL picks this year. The stars are aligning for the Oline to be fixed this year. 

Ah the boar hunter. Here he is making more tackles as an Ohio State coach than he did as a Jet. 

• Upvote 1