Jump to content

What kind of car do you drive?


Recommended Posts

Me? I am about to return an Infiniti that is due back, lease is up. So next week the answer will be I drive nothing.

I work remote now so the thought of having a car payment is less appealing.

I'll share a car with my wife for a bit and probably buy something used in the fall.

Used car thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ford F-100 4x4 Used to have a Toyota Matrix was a good car for a lot of years for me. I bought the truck just after I retired, I like it a lot but man I have put so few miles on it since buy

I wanted an EV and Tesla couldn't get me to and from our main office on own charge so I bought a plug in hybrid. A Honda Clarity. Car is meh but i got 7500 tax credit, and my rooftop solar covers 80%

One day I'll be able to afford one, lol. With two kids under 4 my play cars are Miatas.

Posted Images

Me: Mazda CX-9, Mazdaspeed Miata.

Wife: VW Tiguan

We're big fans of both Mazda and VW(aside from the Diesel gate stuff, lol)

I also recently got an electric bike, and that is a ton of fun. Highly recommended.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a used 2016 BMW 320i last March.  About a week before the lockdown.  I commuted to work one or two days and I have been working at home since.  Changed jobs in December and now work remotely for a company based in Arkansas, So commuting is now a thing of the past.  My commute is now a few steps down the hall from by bedroom to my office. 

I have put less than 4,000 miles on it in the last year.  Planning to use it next week when we visit our kids in Iowa just to put some mileage on it.  I go through maybe one tank of gas a month.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I am leasing a Merceds A220. It's great. I have put 2008 miles on it in 6 months. Work form home, everything is still closed in San Diego, can't visit my customers so not driving a whole lot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford F-100 4x4

Used to have a Toyota Matrix was a good car for a lot of years for me.

I bought the truck just after I retired, I like it a lot but man I have put so few miles on it since buying it.

I had planned on a cross Canada trip last summer but of course covid screwed that up.

And here it is:

j88Qbfh.jpg

 

 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you own a home you always need a pickup.  

My family is a Jeep family wife and I both drive  Grand Cherokees I also own  a GMC pickup wouldn't be without one. 

I took my truck in for an oil change and walked the lot looking at new pickups they are way overpriced $50k and up. 

@Maxman my brother in law recently bought a 2018 BMW X-5 19k miles from Carvana they delivered and financed it looks like a brand new car. 

They also let you test drive and decide if you want it or not. 

He got a really good deal if you want to avoid dealers and private owners. 

Good luck. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

Me - 2011 Honda CRV

Wife- 2014 Honda Civic

MIL- 2015 Honda CRV

 

@JoeC36  Agree on the Hondas my son has a 2011 Honda Civic as his work car he travels all over N.J and Manhattan and says he wouldn't own no other brand of work car he puts on a lot of miles.

Previously he had a Nissan Rogue had nothing but trouble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

If you own a home you always need a pickup.  

My family is a Jeep family wife and I both drive  Grand Cherokees I also own  a GMC pickup wouldn't be without one. 

I took my truck in for an oil change and walked the lot looking at new pickups they are way overpriced $50k and up. 

@Maxman my brother in law recently bought a 2018 BMW X-5 19k miles from Carvana they delivered and financed it looks like a brand new car. 

They also let you test drive and decide if you want it or not. 

He got a really good deal if you want to avoid dealers and private owners. 

Good luck. 

 

 

As kids/teens (even later, too), my friends and I always wanted to get our hands on an old, Army surplus Willy's Jeep.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Me? I am about to return an Infiniti that is due back, lease is up. So next week the answer will be I drive nothing.

I work remote now so the thought of having a car payment is less appealing.

I'll share a car with my wife for a bit and probably buy something used in the fall.

Used car thoughts?

Definitely a used BWM 3-series, I hear all the real players drive those.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeC36 said:

Me - 2011 Honda CRV

Wife- 2014 Honda Civic

MIL- 2015 Honda CRV

 

My older son just bought a Honda HRV,  and my younger son has an older Honda Accord I think that one's like a 2007.  It's amazing how well they hold up really nice cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

98 Civic hatch right now, been in the family since brand new and despite its numerous AC and now paint issues, its engine is a tank. However I'm looking to get another similarly aged car in the near future to have some fun with. Thinking a BMW anywhere from E30-E46.

I always expect to be a used/older car guy. They're cheaper, sometimes more reliable, and I prefer the charm. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

981 Boxster S, very fun car to drive, the flat six symphony always puts a smile on your face.

If I was going to buy new it would be the 2022 Nissan Z.

Used you can't go wrong with Honda or Toyota, the civic and camry are both great looking cars.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Scion xB, 2008 (the first year they went bigger.) 155k miles on it - two minor recalls, nothing but routine maintenance on it. It's really a four banger Camry with a different body. Handles surprisingly well in snow with FWD and studded snows up here in VT. Love the 5 speed stick - gets almost 30 to the gallon, and is not a hot rod, but has plenty of pickup. Boxy shape allows you to haul lots of stuff. Good ergonomics and comfort.

Sadly it is nearing the end because rust made its first repair appearance at the last inspection, so one year soon I'll go in and they will tell me it's a total. I wish they still made it, last year was 2015, or reintroduce it with a manual and AWD. I would kill for that.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted an EV and Tesla couldn't get me to and from our main office on own charge so I bought a plug in hybrid. A Honda Clarity. Car is meh but i got 7500 tax credit, and my rooftop solar covers 80% of of my usage on the 48 mile electric battery (95% since covid)

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CTM said:

I wanted an EV and Tesla couldn't get me to and from our main office on own charge so I bought a plug in hybrid. A Honda Clarity. Car is meh but i got 7500 tax credit, and my rooftop solar covers 80% of of my usage on the 48 mile electric battery (95% since covid)

Is that really the tax credit? Wow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Is that really the tax credit? Wow.

Yeah, it's 25% up to 7500. But there was an allotment per manufacturer of like 250k, Tesla had burned through theirs pretty quick. Honda still had available

I imagine this Green New deal stuff that Tesal will get thier credits back and more, they've built that company with tax payer money to be frank.

I also got about 13k credit on my roof top panels, 2019 was the first time in almost 2 decades that I've paid a federal tax rate close to any of these politicans or super rich people who release theirs. Usually i'm high 20%'s to even low 30%

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CTM said:

Yeah, it's 25% up to 7500. But there was an allotment per manufacturer of like 250k, Tesla had burned through theirs pretty quick. Honda still had available

I imagine this Green New deal stuff that Tesal will get thier credits back and more, they've built that company with tax payer money to be frank.

I also got about 13k credit on my roof top panels, 2019 was the first time in almost 2 decades that I've paid a federal tax rate close to any of these politicans or super rich people who release theirs. Usually i'm high 20%'s to even low 30%

 

Did you get the Tesla shingle system?

Def interested in that in the future.

Do you have a powerwall?

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 9:16 AM, Maxman said:

Me? I am about to return an Infiniti that is due back, lease is up. So next week the answer will be I drive nothing.

I work remote now so the thought of having a car payment is less appealing.

I'll share a car with my wife for a bit and probably buy something used in the fall.

Used car thoughts?

What do you like?

Toyotas last forever if you maintain them, just depends if you like them or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was always a fan of the Toyota Tacoma 4x4 pickup  2 friends had frame issues 1 the dealer bought the truck back the other had the entire frame changed free of charge. 

I heard they also get really bad gas mileage for a small pickup. 

They look good and are sporty and cheaper than many full-size truck. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, chirorob said:

What do you like?

Toyotas last forever if you maintain them, just depends if you like them or not.

Really not sure. Had an Infiniti lease the past 39 months (X 2).  Before that I had a bunch of stuff, Jeep Cherokee.

This remote working thing is a game changer without the commuting miles. Was thinking of a Jeep Sahara but we have 5 cars in the house for 5 people. So I am definitely going to hold off for a while before doing anything.

My current lease is due on April 1st. I never made the pre-inspection appointment. Called today, the earliest they have is 4/29.  So I just extended my lease by another month.  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Really not sure. Had an Infiniti lease the past 39 months (X 2).  Before that I had a bunch of stuff, Jeep Cherokee.

This remote working thing is a game changer without the commuting miles. Was thinking of a Jeep Sahara but we have 5 cars in the house for 5 people. So I am definitely going to hold off for a while before doing anything.

My current lease is due on April 1st. I never made the pre-inspection appointment. Called today, the earliest they have is 4/29.  So I just extended my lease by another month.  :)

@Maxman

We turned in a leased VW Jetta my daughter barely drove at the VW dealer we leased it from. No appointment inspections required the dealer took care of everything. Be sure to take pictures of the car this way if its damaged while sitting on dealer lot you aren't responsible. 

Because of the Covid we were told its best to drop off no contact no home visits for the inspection. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it’s super cliche to push Subarus but my Crosstrek is incredible. And the nice thing about owning a Subaru is that if I’m not satisfied with it at any point I can flip it for barely a loss. They hold their value like crazy. 
 

The new Outbacks are gorgeous but I am not a fan of the center console. And I love the Ascent but I still have reservations about a SUV that big in a 4 cyl. 
 

Other ride is a ‘19 Sorrento and I’m very happy with it. Powerful, reliable and it has enough of an IDGAF factor to it that I don’t mind my dogs beating it up. I’m not so sure I’d be cool with that aspect of things if I had an Outback or an Ascent which are both way nicer.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Did you get the Tesla shingle panels?

Def interested in that in the future.

Do you have a powerwall?

No, they are nice looking but at the time  (fall 2019) neither were anywhere near worth the $ tag from an efficiency perspective. I again looked into powerwall at some point last year and just not worth it yet. I'll probably look into it every year until it makes sense financially

I got a high end panasonic panel which cost a bit more upfront but currently powers all of my household electricty + pool +  80% of driving with a surplus. NJ also has SRACS available which after about 16 months of on time I have about 3-3,5k worth waiting to be redeemed.

I got a new roof + 2 trees taken down + panels and with the 30% tax credt from FED and will have a positive ROI in about 4 years + adds value to my home.

Really it's a no brainer in NJ, particularly if you make enough to take advanatage of the tax credit.

This is a good site to use:

https://www.energysage.com/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...