What kind of car do you drive?

10 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I drove a British Racing green and white Mini Cooper, and then I traded it a week before my 50th birthday for a new Green Dodge Challenger GT.  Love it!!!!

Anyone else think Rick Perry's "Strong" ad was actually a ...

Yes, nice cars, but I’m going to guess your not a 6’6” Viking like Lars. LOL

• Upvote 1

On 3/29/2021 at 5:45 PM, Integrity28 said:

Tacoma and a Pilot. Love em both.

The Tacoma is my favorite pickup truck. Love it. It’s the perfect size for residential use. Unless you’re constantly hauling stuff around, you really don’t need those big pickups.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

In 2017 they made the Boxster and Cayman a turbo 4 cylinder engine. Allot of people hated it and so Porsche brought back the flat 6 in 2021, but it's only available in the GTS models which start in the high 80s, the Boxster 25, Spyder and Cayman GT4, which are all 6 figure cars.

This has caused the values to increase sooner than they normally would. Typically once a Porsche fully depreciates they start to become more valuable as more people can afford them and the demand drives the prices back up.

Also, Porsche enthusiasts hate when the cars change significantly and it usually causes a stir. When the 911 went from air cooled to water cooled, the older models went thru the roof.

They keep putting regulations on Porsche to keep emissions down and that causes them to make changes that effect the driving experience and sound that enthusiasts love.

All models from 2016 down have the flat 6 engine, all the models from 2012 down have hydraulic steering, which is not offered any more, the exhaust note sounds better on the older models too. These are features enthusiasts want in a sports car, because they enhance the driving experience.

The price index links I posted show significant increases in the older Boxster models, some years went up between 10-35% There are less model years of Cayman and some went up between 10-23%.

If you can get a good buy and drive it moderately for a year or two, you should be able to sell it and recoup most of your money or maybe even come out ahead if this trend continues.

My 981 S is a very high spec car, whoever ordered it originally went crazy on the options. It's a 2014, there was no GTS or Spyder packages yet, so he paid à la carte for every box he checked and he nearly checked them all. Sticker was $108,710.00, I bought it a little over a year ago with 8,449 miles on it for right around $46,700. I have just over 11,000 miles on it now, and I could probably sell it for what I paid, if not more to the right buyer who wants to pay a premium for the spec.

I have a 2011 911 GTS Cabriolet.  No turbo, it's fast and responsive, a beautifully balanced car to drive.  I've looked at a new one the price is insane and it really doesn't look or feel like a sports car anymore.  More like a touring car.  If I was going to buy another sports car it would be the Boxster.  The 911 is growing up a little too much for my taste.  It's also insanely priced.  The trend toward larger and more power is starting to unbalance the cars.  I feel like the Boxster is really one of the few production sports cars that drive like a sports car left on the road.  

A perfect sports car doesn't need to be luxurious.  It needs to be balanced and a blast to drive.  Love that they gave you the option to get the 6.  Is it without the turbo?  Even better. You don't need it. 

• Sympathy 1

Leased a 2020 Ford Edge when I moved and traded up from my Metrocard.

Thus far, very happy with it.  Was deciding between it and the Volvo XC60.  Happy with my choice because the kids have destroyed the back seat with food and such, and I'd have been more mad with the luxury SUV.

When this lease is up, I may look into the Model X.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Thus far, very happy with it.  Was deciding between it and the Volvo XC60.  Happy with my choice because the kids have destroyed the back seat with food and such, and I'd have been more mad with the luxury SUV.

When the kids were young we had a Chevy Suburban. The back two seats looked a decade older then the front seats. You made a smart choice. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

I have a 2011 911 GTS Cabriolet.  No turbo, it's fast and responsive, a beautifully balanced car to drive.  I've looked at a new one the price is insane and it really doesn't look or feel like a sports car anymore.  More like a touring car.  If I was going to buy another sports car it would be the Boxster.  The 911 is growing up a little too much for my taste.  It's also insanely priced.  The trend toward larger and more power is starting to unbalance the cars.  I feel like the Boxster is really one of the few production sports cars that drive like a sports car left on the road.  

A perfect sports car doesn't need to be luxurious.  It needs to be balanced and a blast to drive.  Love that they gave you the option to get the 6.  Is it without the turbo?  Even better. You don't need it. 

I agree 100%. The Boxster is a true sports car, the 911s are too big now, too much power to enjoy on the road, and all of the refinement has taken away from the driving experience.

All of the Boxster flat six engines are naturally aspirated, plus it's mid engine so the balance is incredible, the car handles like it's on rails. Plus you have a frunk and a trunk, it's actually a very practical roadster.

The new 718 flat six models are 4.0 liters, mine is a 981 3.4 liter. It's the same engine that's in the 991 911. Of course Porsche holds the Boxster back, they will never let the Boxster out preform the flagship 911 out of the factory, but the difference is only software. You can get a tune that brings the horsepower up to match and over take the 911.

981 Boxster S has 315 HP @ 6700 RPM, which is perfect for driving in the street. GTS has 330 HP, and a more aggressive look, but not worth the hike in price unless you are buying new in my opinion, and I like the classic look better.

Overall the 981 is a better car, the power assist steering is really good, but the 987 hydraulic steering is better, that car drives more like a go-kart. My 2012 Black Edition had 320 HP, it was really the first Boxster GTS, so much fun to drive!

Most people prefer a stick, but you can't out preform the PDK dual clutch transmission in the automatic, which is better in the 981.

Boxster is the car that saved Porsche, they were going bankrupt until they released the concept Boxster in 1993. That car created such a buzz, too bad they were broke and had to share parts with the 911 to produce the production version, but it saved them.

The concept car is the nicest Boxster ever made and the 2021 Boxster 25, which is a limited edition GTS, pays homage to it and starts at 100k. 

When it came time for Porsche to break the slalom word record, it was the Boxster Spyder that did it. Check out these amazing videos.

Boxster forever young!

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@SAR I is the BMW expert 

@BROOKLYN JET  is the Porsche expert 

Far from an expert, but Porsche may just be my favorite brand. Believe it or not, they make Porsche Design everything. I should probably just go to work for them. The dealerships by me are selling a ton of cars. The 911 is still their number one seller, but like @Biggs said, if you want a true sports car, the Boxster is hard to beat.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

I drove a British Racing green and white Mini Cooper, and then I traded it a week before my 50th birthday for a new Green Dodge Challenger GT.  Love it!!!!

Anyone else think Rick Perry's "Strong" ad was actually a ...

I drove a Challenger Hemi for about a week. It's a true muscle car.

In my opinion a muscle car is a coupe with a full size back seat and a full size trunk, and The Challenger definitely fits the bill.

I consider most of the other 2 door cars today to be sports coupes.

Sports cars are 2 seaters. I guess some of the 2+2 versions still count, but those are hardly a back seat.

No matter what Nissan calls the Maxima, all 4 doors are sedans.

I drove SUVs and crossovers, not really my thing, although some of the Jeeps look fun.

A Cabriolet is a convertible.

A Spider is a mid engine convertible.

A Spyder is a Porsche mid engine convertible. ?

Here are some cool car apps: 

https://roadstr.io/invite

https://carmeets.app/invite/u/NMRSECam03

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Crusher said:

When the kids were young we had a Chevy Suburban. The back two seats looked a decade older then the front seats. You made a smart choice. 

I keep thinking we'll probably have to upgrade to something that size eventually. By the time it's needed the current Tahoes will be available used. I'd really like to snag a new one and pull a hard dad flex but between kids and dogs I know the car is going to get absolutely destroyed. 

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee (makes long road trips with 2 kids comfortable)

2017 Nissan Altima (our second one. We bought our first car back in 2007 or so).

They are bringing back the Grand Wagoneer this year. We'll see how it rides but man did they ever nail the design.

jeep-grand-wagoneer-concept-119-15989734

maxresdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The Tacoma is my favorite pickup truck. Love it. It’s the perfect size for residential use. Unless you’re constantly hauling stuff around, you really don’t need those big pickups.

I really like Tacoma's and was going to buy one, but at the time I had 3 smaller kids, 2 in car seats, and they just didn't all fit across the back.  Hence the Tundra.

Tundra is bigger, and I love it, but parking can be a pain, and gas mileage isn't the best.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I keep thinking we'll probably have to upgrade to something that size eventually. By the time it's needed the current Tahoes will be available used. I'd really like to snag a new one and pull a hard dad flex but between kids and dogs I know the car is going to get absolutely destroyed. 

How old are your kids?

I was able to keep mine from destroying my back seat, but I cleaned it a LOT.

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

I really like Tacoma's and was going to buy one, but at the time I had 3 smaller kids, 2 in car seats, and they just didn't all fit across the back.  Hence the Tundra.

Tundra is bigger, and I love it, but parking can be a pain, and gas mileage isn't the best.

Tundras are great. My brother in law has two for his business. Has like 500k+ (Mostly highway but hauling a trailer) on one and the thing still runs great. His brag goal is to show the speedometer with 1 million miles on it.

On 4/2/2021 at 12:44 AM, RutgersJetFan said:

Thoughts on their SUV's? Have a few friends with them and they seem to be so hit or miss with lemons. Our friends' X5 broke down in the middle of Yosemite during our vacation last summer. Absolute worst situation to run into a problem with a BMW. 

Our X's have been very good, reliable SUV's.  We lease perpetually so we've never had to pay for so much as a wiper blade or an oil change.  But nothing close to a lemon even in that short window of ownership.  I wouldn't call them off-road or rugged trucks though; they are essentially smooth, fast passenger sedans with an oversized body.  That's their best trait-  they handle like sedans.

SAR I

I dropped a refundable deposit down for the new GMC HUMMER EV that's expected in 2023.  Not sure if I'll eventually purchase but it does seem like a true large Offroad EV.  My brother-in-law owned the original H1 which I loved but I was turned off as Hummer went downstream with "soccer mom" versions of smaller and smaller Hummers.  They kind of lost their identity to me when they did that.  But this thing seems like it will be legit and so I'm giving myself an option to get one early when they're released.

2024-GMC-Hummer-EV-SUV.thumb.jpg.e8b77469f4d0fce39d99f6e221f8012f.jpg

2024-GMC-Hummer-EV-SUV-09.jpg.39140bc99a01f6e99cc0d11892aebfe0.jpg

my23-hummersuv-vp55-1617298067.thumb.jpg.7ffb1e13594b5498f3004646cd9bc73a.jpg

On 4/1/2021 at 5:31 PM, TeddEY said:

On 4/1/2021 at 5:33 PM, The Crusher said:

Wife has a Lexus RX350. Stupid to put the kids in that in hindsight. The backseat on my 22 month old's side is an absolute disaster between his dirty shoes and the food. The backseat of my 5 month old is still ok, but if the other is any indication...

Lol and we were actually thinking about going with the X for her before they were born. As annoyed as I am now about the Lexus, I'd be downright furious if it had occurred on the X. We have some decisions to make about cars coming up, but honestly I think I'm just going to go with a used Sienna at this point. I'll wait on the fun cars till they're older - or at least forward facing. 

I have been looking at new trucks I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab 19k miles mint condition. 

A new model truck like that is close to $60k 

I can't see spending all that money for its purpose and use primarily pleasure and  taking yard debris to the drop off site. 

There are no deals on pickups and car dealer friends are telling me there is actually a shortage of 2021 certain model cars because of the Covid. 

My neighbor recently bought a certified pre-owned pickup 24k miles  similar to mine but in a Dodge and get a great deal. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/5/2021 at 3:46 PM, greenwichjetfan said:

Wife has a Lexus RX350. Stupid to put the kids in that in hindsight. The backseat on my 22 month old's side is an absolute disaster between his dirty shoes and the food. The backseat of my 5 month old is still ok, but if the other is any indication...

Lol and we were actually thinking about going with the X for her before they were born. As annoyed as I am now about the Lexus, I'd be downright furious if it had occurred on the X. We have some decisions to make about cars coming up, but honestly I think I'm just going to go with a used Sienna at this point. I'll wait on the fun cars till they're older - or at least forward facing. 

image.thumb.png.5e93febdcb730b7fdb8f60cd7b319d99.png

Ordered this yesterday.  Will report back.