In last 12 Years including this year, Jets will have used (3) 1st round Picks, (6) 2nd round Picks, and (2) 4th round picks on Quarterbacks

Alka

First, Let me explain.  Wilson this year, Darnold in 2018, and Sanchez in 2009 in 1st round. We gave up a total of (4) 2nd round picks to move up to get Sanchez and Darnold.  We picked Hackenberg and Geno in the second round, and Petty and Morgan in the 4th round.

Just going by the premium picks, which I include 1st and 2nd round picks, that is using 9 picks in 12 years. 

ALL FAILURES.  Unless Wilson is a success, which we all hope, this is a big reason why the NY Jets have sucked for so long.

I desperately wanted the Jets to pick a top blue chip premium player at #2, or move down and pick up a boat load of blue chip draft choices, but they gave up on Darnold.  I understand why they did, but I for one do not agree.  

And when the Jets had the opportunity to pick a premium offensive player in the top 6 picks, which they did many times, they always have picked defensive players, in a league that offense is so important.  

The Jets must both : 1. Love Wilson and 2. have no faith in Darnold.  If these were untrue, then the Jets would have moved down, or went with Darnold another year.

If Wilson turns out to be great, then Douglas and the Jets tides will finally turn.  If Wilson is injury prone, or doesn't turn out the way we hope, then Douglas will be no better than McCagnan or Idzik.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

Still don't think they're drafting Wilson.

I was with you until pro day with Wilson.  When those trades went down, I must believe that Douglas let both Philly and 49rs know that we are picking Wilson, and not interested in trading down.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alka said:

I was with you until pro day with Wilson.  When those trades went down, I must believe that Douglas let both Philly and 49rs know that we are picking Wilson, and not interested in trading down.  

Could be.  Or they think Wilson isn't much better than the other 2 or 3 QBs they're considering. 

I'd love to have seen Darnold play with the team that Sanchez stepped into. 

From a coaching/schematic perspective, I'm optimistic we're putting whomever we draft into a healthy situation. 

From a talent perspective, I still think we're a ways away. 

Sign Minshew, have him start the season - especially if we don't get any day 1 offensive line starters in the draft, and let New Zach City get his chance sometime after week 8, or even week 12 if the offensive line play is anywhere near as bad as last year. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do wonder if any of this plays into Douglas’ decision-making, and the fact that he seems to have a relationship with Darnold’s parents. Just simply on a human level, you’d think it’d be a factor into how Douglas handles this. 

If anyone has a true relationship with another person, honesty and truth are the foundation. If anything, and that's the case here, than this decision, while maybe painful, is easy.

24 minutes ago, Alka said:

First, Let me explain.  Wilson this year, Darnold in 2018, and Sanchez in 2009 in 1st round. We gave up a total of (4) 2nd round picks to move up to get Sanchez and Darnold.  We picked Hackenberg and Geno in the second round, and Petty and Morgan in the 4th round.

Just going by the premium picks, which I include 1st and 2nd round picks, that is using 9 picks in 12 years. 

ALL FAILURES.  Unless Wilson is a success, which we all hope, this is a big reason why the NY Jets have sucked for so long.

I desperately wanted the Jets to pick a top blue chip premium player at #2, or move down and pick up a boat load of blue chip draft choices, but they gave up on Darnold.  I understand why they did, but I for one do not agree.  

And when the Jets had the opportunity to pick a premium offensive player in the top 6 picks, which they did many times, they always have picked defensive players, in a league that offense is so important.  

The Jets must both : 1. Love Wilson and 2. have no faith in Darnold.  If these were untrue, then the Jets would have moved down, or went with Darnold another year.

If Wilson turns out to be great, then Douglas and the Jets tides will finally turn.  If Wilson is injury prone, or doesn't turn out the way we hope, then Douglas will be no better than McCagnan or Idzik.

I don't understand the point of this thread. All Jet fans know the Jets have failed to both hit on a star FQB in the draft and develop one. Is this news? You're clearly not suggesting the Jets stop drafting QBs. Are you suggesting Darnold is NOT a  failure and the Jet should hold on to him? Obviously if JD is passing on a trade down he loves Wilson and has no faith in Darnold. I mean OBVIOSLY. OBVIOUSLY if Wilson fails JD will be a failure and if he succeeds JD will be a success. Is that not true for every GM? 

Not trying to be a jerk but I'm really confused by the intention of this thread.  

19 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

And yet if they’d used 1 more instead of sitting around waiting for Hackenberg we’d have either Mahomes or Watson.

And you just gave another solid reason why the Jets suck.  Had they gotten Mahomes or Watson, we would be using our #2 pick for a much different player now, wouldn't we?

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I don't understand the point of this thread. All Jet fans know the Jets have failed to both hit on a star FQB in the draft and develop one. Is this news? You're clearly not suggesting the Jets stop drafting QBs. Are you suggesting Darnold is NOT a  failure and the Jet should hold on to him? Obviously if JD is passing on a trade down he loves Wilson and has no faith in Darnold. I mean OBVIOSLY. OBVIOUSLY if Wilson fails JD will be a failure and if he succeeds JD will be a success. Is that not true for every GM? 

Not trying to be a jerk but I'm really confused by the intention of this thread.  

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clear up your confusion.

I am advocating for the Jets to give Darnold 1 more year with a better offensive football team in from of him.  Trade down from 2 to #4, pick up 2 additional second round picks, pick up Pitts or Chase or Sewell at #4.  Pick up more offensive pieces with remaining 1st and 2nd round picks this year.

By continuing to burn through premium draft picks on QB's, I think the Jets organization owes it to the fans and to Darnold an opportunity to prove himself with a competent coaching staff and decent players playing around him.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Douglas has been giving Sam a hard look for 2 years now and the new coaching staff has had plenty of time to study his tape. You have to think that they know what value they put on Sam by now. 

True.  I think all we've heard is that the coach n OC are cool with Sam.  GM n front office may want to move on.

But of course any of that, or all of that, may be posturing to keep trade values for Sam or the #2 pick high.

Been said many times, but this is going to be a long month.

34 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I do wonder if any of this plays into Douglas’ decision-making, and the fact that he seems to have a relationship with Darnold’s parents. Just simply on a human level, you’d think it’d be a factor into how Douglas handles this. 

If Joe cared about what’s good for Sam he would’ve traded him to a QB needy team earlier in this process.

Clearly in his mind it’s:

what’s best for the Jets >>>> anything else - as it should be 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's almost like QB's have a hard time developing on a sh*t roster.

Sanchez didn't have anything close to a sh*t roster and none of Sanchez/Geno/Hack developed into franchise QBs on another team. 

Isn't it possible that they just weren't that good? 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Alka said:

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to clear up your confusion.

I am advocating for the Jets to give Darnold 1 more year with a better offensive football team in from of him.  Trade down from 2 to #4, pick up 2 additional second round picks, pick up Pitts or Chase or Sewell at #4.  Pick up more offensive pieces with remaining 1st and 2nd round picks this year.

By continuing to burn through premium draft picks on QB's, I think the Jets organization owes it to the fans and to Darnold an opportunity to prove himself with a competent coaching staff and decent players playing around him.

It may sound harsh but JD doesn't owe Darnold anything. And he owes the fans a winner, not another shot to try and develop Darnold. Thats just my take. If he's seen enough from Darnold to know he's not the guy or doesn't have what it takes (compared to Wilson) to turn the team around, he would be doing a disservice to fans by keeping him around another season and passing on a prospect like Wilson. A reset on a rookie potential FQB on a contract aligned with the new coach is really important. And the Jets still have draft assets to build around the rookie, especially if they net a 2nd rounder from Darnold. He'd be burning a premium draft pick but this is what premium draft picks are for- bringing in a potential FQB.  

27 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

Hope the Jets draft Fields and this Wilson business was the largest smokescreen ever. 

Or, they trade the pick. I don't even like Darnold. 

I just want this many people to be wrong about Wilson. 

Why can't you just hope the Jets take Wilson, everybody was right and Wilson ends up being legit? 

LOL I swear, Jet fans love being miserable HAHA

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Alka said:

And you just gave another solid reason why the Jets suck.  Had they gotten Mahomes or Watson, we would be using our #2 pick for a much different player now, wouldn't we?

Which is why they should learn this lesson. Do not waste time on a sunk cost at QB. 

Just now, PepPep said:

Why can't you just hope the Jets take Wilson, everybody was right and Wilson ends up being legit? 

LOL I swear, Jet fans love being miserable HAHA

Ha! I was kidding. I'm making fun of all the angst and message board behavior. 

If they draft him, I want him to be great. 

If they draft Fields, I want him to be great. 

If they trade down, I hope they kill it and Jets fill all the gaps in the roster and get some star level talent not a QB. 

And if they traded down, that Sam does well. 

I kind of suspect, as a Jets fan, whichever move the Jets make will be the exact worse one, though. :-)

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, thebuzzardman said:

I kind of suspect, as a Jets fan, whichever move the Jets make will be the exact worse one, though. :-)

Bingo.  I imagine when a new GM comes here, they think something like, "ok the Jets have been horrible, but I'm different.  Time to change things!"

They need to realize that are now part of this universe of failure. 

Make a decision.  Then do the exact opposite. 

• Haha 2

If JD likes Darnold and wants to help him, he gets him better coaching and players to play with.

That could be either on the Jets or another team.  

I don’t think JD received an offer for Darnold that was worth it for him.

Darnold should be fixed and flipped. 

What the Jets did before Douglas and Saleh we’re here is completely irrelevant to today. You are connecting two things that have nothing to do with each other. Might as well compare two different NFL teams and say that there is a historical relationship between the two. Nonsense.