Jump to content

OT: Any Fisherman here on Long Island?


Recommended Posts

April 1st is opening day of Trout season. Just wondering if there's anybody in my area that wanted to hang out and go get a few casts?

I kind of had to reel it in a few years ago as I was raising my little ones, so I can't really do the three-day Cod trips or any of the other heavy stuff these days.

But if you're good with a light action rod and you want to have a cold one,  hit me up!

Catching beers, talking fish, drinking Jets! I'm down for whatever LOL!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I could have posted another should we keep Sam and trade the second pick thread, but instead I just wanted to see if anybody wanted to go catch a fat cow at 5 a.m. Thursday morning!?

Just putting it out there you never know somebody could be living right around the block from me? I've been going out with the same guys for almost 30 years every April 1st.

 About 15 years ago one of my good buddies my musician friend and boss at the time didn't even have his poles in the boat yet and I caught a 16 in speckled trout and ruined his whole f****** day LOL.

Like I said I'm just throwing it out there fun stuff. If anybody's interested hit me up!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I used to like fishing at Bay Park for whatever when I was a little kid.

 Not familiar with Bay Park. Definitely love the nature thing though dude it's very therapeutic. Watching the steam come off the lake as the sun comes up, nice and crisp out buttered roll coffee or a cocktail, it's good living.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

You’re bald too???😂

I’ve been bald since I was 21. Started happening when I was in 10th grade. I ask my grandfather what to do, he gave me a crew cut and said,” WTF you care?” “ You’re not a girl!” So, I stopped caring and rocked it! Haha Real funny part is I’ve had a mustache since 8th grade!

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not long island but NYS. We camp at a lake in the Adirondaks for family vacation every year. There's an inlet to the lake I set a trap to catch minnows with for bait. The fish crush the shiners - bass, perch, pike, pickerel. Got this guy the first evening off the dock last year. Kind of a sh*tty angle since I was by myself just using the phone.

1468020704_bababass-Copy.thumb.jpg.8a54c63a5ede86c8453088017dde40df.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much of a fresh water fisherman but if you are interested in ocean fluke fishing out of Montauk would not mind getting some of like minded Jet Nation members on a ocean fluke and sea bass trip when sea bass season opens up. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Not long island but NYS. We camp at a lake in the Adirondaks for family vacation every year. There's an inlet to the lake I set a trap to catch minnows with for bait. The fish crush the shiners - bass, perch, pike, pickerel. Got this guy the first evening off the dock last year. Kind of a sh*tty angle since I was by myself just using the phone.

1468020704_bababass-Copy.thumb.jpg.8a54c63a5ede86c8453088017dde40df.jpg

 That's a good fish man! I haven't caught a pickerel in about a decade there used to be a place right up the train tracks that was pretty difficult to get to but you could slew them all day! I used to work at a Greek restaurant during the day and a music studio at night and I would keep live killies in a bucket and I had an hour off in between jobs and I go down and catch about 10 pickerel! They're nasty little bastards...bite your fingers right off!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Nice!! Caught this fall. 

 

4DC97C80-AF66-4D3B-9C77-0C824636C9EF.jpeg

 That's good Bass!  and I won't make fun of you for being bald! In fact in that Metallica shirt, if I drank enough around you I probably kiss your head and think it was a potato and get all lovey-dovey on it!  keep fishing bro ! Lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CSNY said:

Not much of a fresh water fisherman but if you are interested in ocean fluke fishing out of Montauk would not mind getting some of like minded Jet Nation members on a ocean fluke and sea bass trip when sea bass season opens up. 

I definitely used to do saltwater stuff when I was afforded more time (before children) lol! Funny I used to golf too?

Last time I went out off Captree it was pretty damn expensive, and all we caught was sea robins and it sucked. I believe they have since changed the size keeper limit? But yes definitely man if you set something up I'd totally be interested.

As far as freshwater fishing it has some advantages over salt. Obviously you're not catching sharks or tuna LOL but it's way cleaner quicker you can be in and out. Like I said I had an hour break in between jobs and I'd go catch 10 fish and then head to my next job. You keep your Pole right in your truck with a little box of lures no bait all you need is hand wipes. Anytime you see a pond or lake you pull over scoot right out take 10 casts see what you come up with!

 My oldest son is the magnet and he doesn't even really like fishing? No s*** I take the little ones just to catch panfish and trout and my son pulls out lunker bass and huge 16 inch trout! every time I'm not even kidding!

Anyway like I said the advantage fresh water has over salt as it doesn't cost $600 and take two and a half days. But trust me I love both.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

I definitely used to do saltwater stuff when I was afforded more time (before children) lol! Funny I used to golf too?

Last time I went out off Captree it was pretty damn expensive, and all we caught was sea robins and it sucked. I believe they have since changed the size keeper limit? But yes definitely man if you set something up I'd totally be interested.

As far as freshwater fishing it has some advantages over salt. Obviously you're not catching sharks or tuna LOL but it's way cleaner quicker you can be in and out. Like I said I had an hour break in between jobs and I'd go catch 10 fish and then head to my next job. You keep your Pole right in your truck with a little box of lures no bait all you need is hand wipes. Anytime you see a pond or lake you pull over scoot right out take 10 casts see what you come up with!

 My oldest son is the magnet and he doesn't even really like fishing? No s*** I take the little ones just to catch panfish and trout and my son pulls out lunker bass and huge 16 inch trout! every time I'm not even kidding!

Anyway like I said the advantage fresh water has over salt as it doesn't cost $600 and take two and a half days. But trust me I love both.

Captree is a total waste of time as far as getting keeper fish. Once a new body of fish move in they are wiped out within two three days as there is so much pressure put on them by all the party boats and the mosquito fleet as well. Used to like Greenport early in the season for fluke during the squid run but that has been a bust the past few years. The reason I go to Montauk during the sea bass season is plenty of big fluke & sea bass ( all time best is a 11pound 5 ounce fluke aboard the Marlin Princess September of 2009)  and if fluke have lockjaw sea bass usually are more than willing to keep poles bending and taste great. Just really enjoy it out there and it’s great that you bring your children and get them interested in fishing. My Dad ( RIP ) and I used to go once a week anywhere they were biting be it Mattituck on the Captain Bob or Port Jeff on Celtic Quest Point Lookout on the Lady J 5 so kudos to you and your family it’s a great way to spend time together and the memories last a lifetime 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@CSNY definitely man and from the places you're naming I take it you live out east on the island? I have a buddy who's my age and doesn't have any kids and he goes out in the Viking and Charters Boats off Montauk he swears by it. In fact the f****** guy only sends me pictures of fish after he caught them and I keep telling him call me BEFORE you go!

And I agree for the most part flatfish have dried up around the island it's nothing like it used to be when I was a kid. I remember going with my old man and catching flounder off the dock. I haven't bothered to fish flounder for 20 years.lol

The last two seasons I've actually seen weakfish and blowfish along with the usual Snappers off of the docks around Blue Point Patchogue area.

I wasn't really able to go out on boats the last few years as it currently stands my twin Sons will be turning 12 in May and my daughter just turned 8. So obviously I wouldn't be dragging them out on any seafaring expeditions the last few years. However we did plenty of Southaven panfish, trout, bass definitely snappers off the docks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

@CSNY definitely man and from the places you're naming I take it you live out east on the island? I have a buddy who's my age and doesn't have any kids and he goes out in the Viking and Charters Boats off Montauk he swears by it. In fact the f****** guy only sends me pictures of fish after he caught them and I keep telling him call me BEFORE you go!

And I agree for the most part flatfish have dried up around the island it's nothing like it used to be when I was a kid. I remember going with my old man and catching flounder off the dock. I haven't bothered to fish flounder for 20 years.lol

The last two seasons I've actually seen weakfish and blowfish along with the usual Snappers off of the docks around Blue Point Patchogue area.

I wasn't really able to go out on boats the last few years as it currently stands my twin Sons will be turning 12 in May and my daughter just turned 8. So obviously I wouldn't be dragging them out on any seafaring expeditions the last few years. However we did plenty of Southaven panfish, trout, bass definitely snappers off the docks.

Recently sold my house in Brightwaters and Live in Brooklyn now since I will be retiring June 4 as kids are grown and my wife and I dont need a big house and all the maintenance that goes along with it but when I go fishing like to get trophy fish and those are the places that you have a better chance of A.) Catching trophy fish and B.) even if you don’t get the trophy fish more than likely you will be able to bring something home for dinner. As you said going to Captree is expensive and not really worth it as a serious fisherman. That said Captree boats are very family friendly as they do cater to the children and families and do their very best to make it a fun day and they normally stay inside the protected waters of the bay which is good for the little ones who might be prone to sea sickness  Also since Sandy made that new cut further East the waters in GSB are much much cleaner has significantly cut down on the brown tide so there is life there but it’s just like fishing in a nursery. Very very few keepers to be had. With your family spending $250.00 for fares then lunch and snacks it really would be nice to bring home a few fresh filets for the table 

One other thing you might be interested in are the fishing piers in Jones beach which jut into Reynolds Channel ( that also has a snapper Derby later in the summer) and the Point Lookout fishing pier. Both well maintained with rest facilities 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Recently sold my house in Brightwaters and Live in Brooklyn now since I will be retiring June 4 as kids are grown and my wife and I dont need a big house and all the maintenance that goes along with it but when I go fishing like to get trophy fish and those are the places that you have a better chance of A.) Catching trophy fish and B.) even if you don’t get the trophy fish more than likely you will be able to bring something home for dinner. As you said going to Captree is expensive and not really worth it as a serious fisherman. That said Captree boats are very family friendly as they do cater to the children and families and do their very best to make it a fun day and they normally stay inside the protected waters of the bay which is good for the little ones who might be prone to sea sickness  Also since Sandy made that new cut further East the waters in GSB are much much cleaner has significantly cut down on the brown tide so there is life there but it’s just like fishing in a nursery. Very very few keepers to be had. With your family spending $250.00 for fares then lunch and snacks it really would be nice to bring home a few fresh filets for the table 

Agreed and I totally remember those days. There's a boat out of Center Moriches called the Rosie I had a lot of luck out there.

The keeper size limit thing got Ridiculous a few years ago you could keep like two fish and they had to be 26 " or something? That's what really turned me off about Captree it was 85 bucks to get on the boat another 30 to get in the pool plus like you said beer gas food Etc. You catch a bunch of sea robins and barely come home with enough for a sandwich?

I mentioned the rosie out of Moriches because a few years back my father and my friend and I came home with a ridiculous amount of fillets! Like we were literally stopping off at people's houses and dropping off bags of fish on the way home. It was a long time ago but I think it was like 19 Keepers it was crazy!

Also I frequent the Shinnecock Canal from time to time. That's one of those freak Zone places when they close the locks you never know what you're going to see LOL. I saw sharks top water feeding and I caught some kind of fish that to this day I have no idea what it was! I actually thought there was something wrong with it and there was little kids there so I threw it back in the water immediately! The closest thing I can come up with is a northern stargazer? Also kind of looked like a blobfish? Picture of a really bloated fluke? It had a mouth like a man it was creepy man really f****** creepy LMFAO! I've been Googling it for 12 years I cannot find a picture of the fish I caught. I had a bunker Chunk in the mud and pulled it up and it was dead weight. Any ideas as to what the hell it was?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@CSNY also cool on the Brightwaters I'm over by Lake Ronkonkoma now oddly enough where I grew up but I used to frequent the South Shore Patchogue bayport-blue Point area. I was working  in Islip for the last few years so I know the area. My family is from the Bayshore Islip area.

And hey cool man I appreciate you clicking back and forth with me I like talkin fishing I'm getting psyched up for the season. Unfortunately they've gone Haywire with the restrictions the DEC is just ridiculous these days.

I got a buddy who has a house right on Lake Panamoka and another guy I know has rights  to this little Fishing Club at Peconic. They got like a little Hut and some canoes and they keep it locked up. The Good Old Boys Club LOL. It's awesome man there's nothing like it in the whole world I told my kids when you wake up at 4:30 in the morning and you see the steam coming off the lake, or out on the ocean fighting a huge cow, that exhilarating feeling when you yell fish on! Ain't nothing like that in the whole world man. 

Oh yeah let me add in that my grandmother was a really respected fisherman on the island years ago! She had her own boat and believe it or not throughout my adult life I've run into people that knew her and OMG the stories I've heard LOL. She was a tough old school Irish woman. My father told me that She, himself and my uncle went up to Quincy in Massachusetts and they were catching garbage pails full of flounder pulling three and four at a time. I have pictures somewhere I think they caught like a hundred and twenty something Keepers in 2 days. Holy all you can eat flounder at Howard Johnson Batman!

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Agreed and I totally remember those days. There's a boat out of Center Moriches called the Rosie I had a lot of luck out there.

The keeper size limit thing got Ridiculous a few years ago you could keep like two fish and they had to be 26 " or something? That's what really turned me off about Captree it was 85 bucks to get on the boat another 30 to get in the pool plus like you said beer gas food Etc. You catch a bunch of sea robins and barely come home with enough for a sandwich?

I mentioned the rosie out of Moriches because a few years back my father and my friend and I came home with a ridiculous amount of fillets! Like we were literally stopping off at people's houses and dropping off bags of fish on the way home. It was a long time ago but I think it was like 19 Keepers it was crazy!

Also I frequent the Shinnecock Canal from time to time. That's one of those freak Zone places when they close the locks you never know what you're going to see LOL. I saw sharks top water feeding and I caught some kind of fish that to this day I have no idea what it was! I actually thought there was something wrong with it and there was little kids there so I threw it back in the water immediately! The closest thing I can come up with is a northern stargazer? Also kind of looked like a blobfish? Picture of a really bloated fluke? It had a mouth like a man it was creepy man really f****** creepy LMFAO! I've been Googling it for 12 years I cannot find a picture of the fish I caught. I had a bunker Chunk in the mud and pulled it up and it was dead weight. Any ideas as to what the hell it was?

Was on the Rosie a number of times and also the Shinnecock Star as well. Shinnecock Star has such a low draft he can get into really skinny water and you can actually see the fluke going after the bait 

😊👍 Thumbs up to your Grandmother and all the stories she can regale you with  Which after reading it got me thinking about getting another boat  Had  a 23 foot Galaxy that my Dad and I used together and took my daughter and nieces  on all the time when she was little  

What you describe might be a Monkfish a really ugly looking fish but very tasty. There is another fish that is similar to what you are describing but name escapes me at the moment 

The regulations were way out of hand a few years ago. One year it was 2 fluke at 21 inches in NY which was a killer to the industry here   But boats from Connecticut who fish the same waters of the Sound were able to keep 5 at 19. during that same period. 
 

Sounds like a great trip from Massachusetts did one out of Hyannis many years ago and was a total bail job can’t remember name of the boat 

Did one Night Bluefish trip on the Viking many years ago as well fished of Block Island with a light crowd since it was nasty overcast during the day and just bailed bluefish. Made one drop and didn’t move all night. Got back to dock early then spent rest of night drinking at Salivars as it was the only place we were comfortable in since we stunk of bunker and bluefish 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CSNY said:

Was on the Rosie a number of times and also the Shinnecock Star as well. Shinnecock Star has such a low draft he can get into really skinny water and you can actually see the fluke going after the bait 

😊👍 Thumbs up to your Grandmother and all the stories she can regale you with  Which after reading it got me thinking about getting another boat  Had  a 23 foot Galaxy that my Dad and I used together and took my daughter and nieces  on all the time when she was little  

What you describe might be a Monkfish a really ugly looking fish but very tasty. There is another fish that is similar to what you are describing but name escapes me at the moment 

The regulations were way out of hand a few years ago. One year it was 2 fluke at 21 inches in NY which was a killer to the industry here   But boats from Connecticut who fish the same waters of the Sound were able to keep 5 at 19. during that same period. 
 

Sounds like a great trip from Massachusetts did one out of Hyannis many years ago and was a total bail job can’t remember name of the boat 

Did one Night Bluefish trip on the Viking many years ago as well fished of Block Island with a light crowd since it was nasty overcast during the day and just bailed bluefish. Made one drop and didn’t move all night. Got back to dock early then spent rest of night drinking at Salivars as it was the only place we were comfortable in since we stunk of bunker and bluefish 

Okay so I looked up the monkfish and it's similar but that's not it! This fish had the same skin as a fluke but was very fat and blubbery. The mouth was closer to the bottom more like a skate or stingray, and when I mention the mouth it actually had teeth like a man... like a human.

I know it sounds insane man but I really caught this thing. Definitely in the angler fish category, but I just still cannot find a picture of the same fish. Those monkfish are close but add about 3 inches of blubber on the back and the belly.

In that manner it was built more like a blobfish. It didn't have a big long tail it was actually fat. It just had a big giant head and mouth totally bizarre man. Like I said my first reaction was that of the three-eyed fish from The Simpsons LMFAO! I just kind of kicked it back in the water like holysh*t what was that because kids were running up to look at it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Okay so I looked up the monkfish and it's similar but that's not it! This fish had the same skin as a fluke but was very fat and blubbery. The mouth was closer to the bottom more like a skate or stingray, and when I mention the mouth it actually had teeth like a man... like a human.

I know it sounds insane man but I really caught this thing. Definitely in the angler fish category, but I just still cannot find a picture of the same fish. Those monkfish are close but add about 3 inches of blubber on the back and the belly.

In that manner it was built more like a blobfish. It didn't have a big long tail it was actually fat. It just had a big giant head and mouth totally bizarre man. Like I said my first reaction was that of the three-eyed fish from The Simpsons LMFAO! I just kind of kicked it back in the water like holysh*t what was that because kids were running up to look at it.

Hacklehead is another one that you may have described as I have caught them as well. Word of advice. If you ever have the misfortune of catching one of them again make sure to keep your fingers away from their mouths as their jaws are very quick. Trust me on this one😊

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CSNY said:

Hacklehead is another one that you may have described as I have caught them as well. Word of advice. If you ever have the misfortune of catching one of them again make sure to keep your fingers away from their mouths as their jaws are very quick. Trust me on this one😊

Well if anything I can say this thread has re-sparked my intrest in Bigfoot fishing stories!

Hackle head, Monkfish, Oyster toadfish, Toe Crusher, Dogfish, Atlantic northern stargazer?  They all look similar and upon doing a little reading up I found out there are 51 species of that same type of fish. Apparently they have a lot of different names.

They are all very close my friend but I still cannot find a picture of exactly what the hell I caught. Lol

Again all of those look similar it definitely was from that family of fish, but what I caught wasn't muscular like a fluke or a blue fish. This thing had to be at least 5 or 6 in inces thick and was very fatty. Also I don't remember there being that prominent of a tail.

With my luck I probably caught some kind of world record hundred-year-old fish and threw it back in the canal cuz I thought it was deformed from radiation from the Brookhaven lab run off or something LOL!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Well if anything I can say this thread has re-sparked my intrest in Bigfoot fishing stories!

Hackle head, Monkfish, Oyster toadfish, Toe Crusher, Dogfish, Atlantic northern stargazer?  They all look similar and upon doing a little reading up I found out there are 51 species of that same type of fish. Apparently they have a lot of different names.

They are all very close my friend but I still cannot find a picture of exactly what the hell I caught. Lol

Again all of those look similar it definitely was from that family of fish, but what I caught wasn't muscular like a fluke or a blue fish. This thing had to be at least 5 or 6 in inces thick and was very fatty. Also I don't remember there being that prominent of a tail.

With my luck I probably caught some kind of world record hundred-year-old fish and threw it back in the canal cuz I thought it was deformed from radiation from the Brookhaven lab run off or something LOL!

 

The only other one that comes to mind is a wolffish with the teeth you describe but the body shape is similar to a tilefish not flat like a skate 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Agreed and I totally remember those days. There's a boat out of Center Moriches called the Rosie I had a lot of luck out there.
The keeper size limit thing got Ridiculous a few years ago you could keep like two fish and they had to be 26 " or something? That's what really turned me off about Captree it was 85 bucks to get on the boat another 30 to get in the pool plus like you said beer gas food Etc. You catch a bunch of sea robins and barely come home with enough for a sandwich?
I mentioned the rosie out of Moriches because a few years back my father and my friend and I came home with a ridiculous amount of fillets! Like we were literally stopping off at people's houses and dropping off bags of fish on the way home. It was a long time ago but I think it was like 19 Keepers it was crazy!
Also I frequent the Shinnecock Canal from time to time. That's one of those freak Zone places when they close the locks you never know what you're going to see LOL. I saw sharks top water feeding and I caught some kind of fish that to this day I have no idea what it was! I actually thought there was something wrong with it and there was little kids there so I threw it back in the water immediately! The closest thing I can come up with is a northern stargazer? Also kind of looked like a blobfish? Picture of a really bloated fluke? It had a mouth like a man it was creepy man really f****** creepy LMFAO! I've been Googling it for 12 years I cannot find a picture of the fish I caught. I had a bunker Chunk in the mud and pulled it up and it was dead weight. Any ideas as to what the hell it was?


Oyster Toadfish. Guarantee you that’s it.


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...