(Unconfirmed and highly dubious) Jets & Broncos working on a trade for Sam Darnold

11 minutes ago, Ghost said:

He was horrible but it’s hard to show that growth when there’s very little support around you. 

Agreed, but if Sam had merely treaded water between years 2 and 3, I would be much more open to at least considering keeping him and seeing what he can do in year 4. The problem I have is that he got noticeably worse between years 2 and 3 and with 38 games of disappointment under his belt, I just think it’s hard to trust that he has the confidence or mental fortitude to put it all together and reach his full potential.  

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ghost said:

He was horrible but it’s hard to show that growth when there’s very little support around you. 

Whether he is bad or was bad because of the situation isn't really the issue. There is no guarantee you will be picking at #1/2 again in the next few years. If you have a chance to get a franchise QB at 2, you pretty much have to take him. 

So  the question isn't really about Darnold and how good he can be, it's about Wilson. If the Jets really like Wilson you have to take him. 

Even if Darnold figures things out this year and looks better, he will cost a fortune in free agency while Wilson will be on his rookie deal for a few more years. 

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Whether he is bad or was bad because of the situation isn't really the issue. There is no guarantee you will be picking at #1/2 again in the next few years. If you have a chance to get a franchise QB at 2, you pretty much have to take him. 

So  the question isn't really about Darnold and how good he can be, it's about Wilson. If the Jets really like Wilson you have to take him. 

Even if Darnold figures things out this year and looks better, he will cost a fortune in free agency while Wilson will be on his rookie deal for a few more years. 

Exactly it’s about resetting the clock on the QB contract. 

6 hours ago, ganggreen305 said:

LMAO.  9th pick???

Ay I didn’t bring it up as a possibility Footballguy did ?.  I also think it’s a pipe dream but I do think Denver is motivated to get a QB and can’t justify more draft capital losses to their fans so I think they may be more open to trading spots for Darnold rather than trading an actual pick. That way we don’t lose picks and they don’t lose picks either. 

I actually would prob rather their 2nd round pick over switching spots and picking 9. 

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I’m not disagreeing with you. For the last two months, I’ve been saying to keep Darnold and draft Wilson. It’s a low risk - high reward scenario. 

13 hours ago, GreenFish said:

What are you hearing in terms of trade compensation for Darnold?

Just seeing this.

I haven’t heard much, but the team wants, at least, a 2nd.  Personally, I think they settle for a 3rd and change.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Just seeing this.

I haven’t heard much, but the team wants, at least, a 2nd.  Personally, I think they settle for a 3rd and change.

I’d be curious to know if there would be any thought to keeping sam on the roster with Wilson (assuming they couldn’t get what they wanted) or if that is just loony bins talk

13 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Just seeing this.

Thanks. This sounds reasonable.

We can debate who’s better Wentz or Darnold. To me, both have similar upside but Wentz has proven a lot more so far. He went for a 3rd and a conditional 2022 2nd (can be a 1st).

So I’m kind of expecting a 2021 3rd and 2022 conditional pick that can range between say 3rd and 4th.

Trying to set my expectations so that I’m not tossing stuff around the house when this all goes down.

22 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Thanks. This sounds reasonable.

We can debate who’s better Wentz or Darnold. To me, both have similar upside but Wentz has proven a lot more so far. He went for a 3rd and a conditional 2022 2nd (can be a 1st).

So I’m kind of expecting a 2021 3rd and 2022 conditional pick that can range between say 3rd and 4th.

Trying to set my expectations so that I’m not tossing stuff around the house when this all goes down.

In my opinion,  Set them lower