Jump to content

49ers attend Mac Jones pro day but skip Justin Fields


AFJF

Recommended Posts

I know we sometimes hear of teams drafting guys they didn't contact or see in person, but not with a QB in the top 5 that I can recall.  Looks like the Mac Jones draft hype is real. 

A few weeks ago I saw somebody predict Jones would go before Fields and I laughed.  Not laughing now.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

I know we sometimes hear of teams drafting guys they didn't contact or see in person, but not with a QB in the top 5 that I can recall.  Looks like the Mac Jones draft hype is real. 

A few weeks ago I saw somebody predict Jones would go before Fields and I laughed.  Not laughing now.

 

 

Kyle and John are on record saying that they use pro day attendance as a smokescreen. They didn’t attend mcglinchey pro day the year they drafted him.
 

Imo the pick will be Lance or Fields and if I had to pick one my guess would be Lance 

  • Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Cp561 said:

What would be the point of a smokescreen in this situation? It's clear who is going 1 and 2 so they're going to get their choice of who's left

I’m not saying that them not attending = smokescreen

I’m just showing that by them not attending doesn’t discount Fields from being the pick because they have selected players in the past who they didn’t attend the pro days for. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

Kyle and John are on record saying that they use pro day attendance as a smokescreen. They didn’t attend mcglinchey pro day the year they drafted him.
 

Imo the pick will be Lance or Fields and if I had to pick one my guess would be Lance 

Yeah a smokescreen when you have the 3rd overall pick doesnt make any sense.  

As for what happened in the past, they were able to meet with McGlinchey before his pro day, spoke before hand.  The Jets went to Socal and met with Darnold before his pro day too.  COVID eliminated contact.  Different world today

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Yes, but Fields has worked out with them through his college days as well.  

OK.  Wasnt sure/

Still I'd still think you want to see him live tomorrow.  I mean it's not game action but theres a whole lot more pressure on a pro day with all watching, with TV shooting it and your livelihood at stake as opposed to a training camp where youre paying for tutelage 

Just seems odd to me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OK.  Wasnt sure/

Still I'd still think you want to see him live tomorrow.  I mean it's not game action but theres a whole lot more pressure on a pro day with all watching, with TV shooting it and your livelihood at stake as opposed to a training camp where youre paying for tutelage 

Just seems odd to me

They already know Fields.  Throwing at a pro day gives them no additional information.  It would be a massive waste of time.  The “pressure”of a pro day?   Come on, stop it.  You think a pro day has more pressure than National Championship playoff games?   Lol...   

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Pundits finally waking up on Mac Jones - the most pro-ready QB in the draft.

He doesn't have the highest ceiling, but he's ready to step in on Day 1 and be an NFL starter.

I can't  see Jones selected before Fields and Lance. Athletic QB's are the nee wave of QB's in the NFL. Jones can't  move like the other 2, or at least he hasn't 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I can't  see Jones selected before Fields and Lance. Athletic QB's are the nee wave of QB's in the NFL. Jones can't  move like the other 2, or at least he hasn't 

I think it depends what a team wants.  If they want a guy who can step in on day 1 and play, Jones is a good option.

If they have a guy who can hold the fort for a year (eg. Niners with Jimmy G), then Fields or Lance make more sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

They already know Fields.  Throwing at a pro day gives them no additional information.  It would be a massive waste of time.  The “pressure”of a pro day?   Come on, stop it.  You think a pro day has more pressure than National Championship playoff games?   Lol...   

Its possible they know Fields.  But stop what?  You dont understand that a pro day with total, wall to wall coverage has more pressure than a camp?  OK

Theyre going to draft a QB out of memory, going to draft a QB, the face of the org for possibly 10 years and they'll draft him off of what he did at a camp at least one year ago.  

Stop it is right, makes no sense that hes a serious contender for the job and the main people arent going to watch him

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Pundits finally waking up on Mac Jones - the most pro-ready QB in the draft.

He doesn't have the highest ceiling, but he's ready to step in on Day 1 and be an NFL starter.

I can get some of the love for Jones, but to call him more pro-ready than Trevor Lawrence is a little crazy. Lawrence has been pro-ready since his freshman year. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its possible they know Fields.  But stop what?  You dont understand that a pro day with total, wall to wall coverage has more pressure than a camp?  OK

Theyre going to draft a QB out of memory, going to draft a QB, the face of the org for possibly 10 years and they'll draft him off of what he did at a camp at least one year ago.  

Stop it is right, makes no sense that hes a serious contender for the job and the main people arent going to watch him

 

Than camp?  Do you even read what you respond to?    Fields played in the National Championship playoffs, a pro day is nothing.  They’ve been working with the kid for the past 4 plus years.  You need to seriously read stuff before you respond to people because you have the worst reading comprehension on this board.  

  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If this is a smokescreen, this is on par with Tyrion telling three different people three different houses he wanted to marry Myrcella off to. 

God that show was good once. 

Yeah, when they were lifting stuff off the books 1:1

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...