17 game season coming, no extra bye.

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Player safety my ass

# of games hasn't changed.

We lose a meaningless fan-ripoff Preseason "exhibition" and replace it with a game that matters.  That's a win.

Ultimately, I'd like to see an 18 game Regular Season, and either no preseason (preferable) or at most a one-game "get ready now, we play for real next week" preseason.

95% of the preseason is pointless, and please spare me the "well, Coaches need time to evaluate the 8th string punter" arguments. 

No, they really don't.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

less pre season the better-season ticket holders have to eat those games for the same price as regular season games-pretty much criminal to value them the same when I cant get rid of mine for  like 10% of their value

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We lose a meaningless fan-ripoff Preseason "exhibition" and replace it with a game that matters.  That's a win.

Ultimately, I'd like to see an 18 game Regular Season, and either no preseason (preferable) or at most a one-game "get ready now, we play for real next week" preseason.

95% of the preseason is pointless, and please spare me the "well, Coaches need time to evaluate the 8th string punter" arguments. 

No, they really don't.

Starters were playing a quarter of that at the most.

2 bye weeks.   Any team that has to play a Thursday game should have a bye the week before.

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, they really don't.

I like the preseason, every year a few players surprise with stronger than expected performances once they get in live action situations. 

Besides, how can you win those all important competitions without some competing? 

I think the goal is to get to 18 game seasons with two byes along with two preseason games. The players will likely be on your side, though, looking to eliminate the preseason altogether. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, peebag said:

If they're going to 17, 18 game season, the rosters have to be increased.

Or at least allow them to dress everyone. You're paying them anyway why not less them play instead of sitting out. Makes no sense at all.

• Upvote 1
29 minutes ago, Blackout said:

This is dumb, hate how greedy the owners are

I believe that the players OK'd the 17 game season in the new CBA, although it was a close vote.

Not sure, but I think the players received no weed testing in return for the extra game.

On 3/29/2021 at 8:11 AM, Bronx said:

20 games = busted hamstrings

And how many games did the players play when it was 4 preseason and 16 regular season games? I don't understand your math. 😕

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Would’ve like a 2nd bye week, would’ve put the super bowl the Sunday right before Presidents’ Day ( many have the day off) 

I agree. I have felt for a while there should be two bye weeks. With a second bye week all teams playing on Thursday night could also get over a week before and after the Thursday game. No more short weeks due to Thursday night football.

19 hours ago, Warfish said:

No, they really don't.

Players need a certain amount of time to prep for the season.  Theyre going to play the same # of plays in the preseason whether their teams play 3 or play 4 games.  

Shaving a game off the preseason doesnt save players one game which they just shifted to the regular season.  The accumulated hits they have to take will increase with the additional game to the schedule

7 minutes ago, viffer said:

And how many games did the players play when it was 4 preseason and 16 regular season games? I don't understand your math. 😕

They played probably a full game out of the 4 preseason games.  With 16 regular season games that equals 17 games

Now it will be a full game out of the 3 preseason games and 17 regular season games for a total of 18 games

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Players need a certain amount of time to prep for the season.  Theyre going to play the same # of plays in the preseason whether their teams play 3 or play 4 games.  

Shaving a game off the preseason doesnt save players one game which they just shifted to the regular season.  The accumulated hits they have to take will increase with the additional game to the schedule

Well too bad I guess, because it is what it is, so you may as well come to terms with it.

And it's going to keep heading in this direction, an 18 game regular season is a near sure thing at some point in the somewhat near future (probably the next CBA or CBA extension).

I'll never understand why FANS are so against it tbqh, you get more NFL product.  So odd to me how a small group of fans are butthurt over getting more of what they love.

Ultimately, the NFL will likely be a 18 game regular season, 2 game preseason, with (one can hope) expanded rosters and less strict rules on who is active on gameday.  All of which I'll love, more players (good), more active players (good), more product (great!), more fun (unless you suck early like we so often do, lol). 

What's not to love?

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well too bad I guess, because it is what it is, so you may as well come to terms with it.

And it's going to keep heading in this direction, an 18 game regular season is a near sure thing at some point in the somewhat near future (probably the next CBA or CBA extension).

I'll never understand why FANS are so against it tbqh, you get more NFL product.  So odd to me how a small group of fans are butthurt over getting more of what they love.

Ultimately, the NFL will likely be a 18 game regular season, 2 game preseason, with (one can hope) expanded rosters and less strict rules on who is active on gameday.  All of which I'll love, more players (good), more active players (good), more product (great!), more fun (unless you suck early like we so often do, lol). 

What's not to love?

I'm not asking for sympathy.  And certainly not complaining about more football.  

Just discussing why the 17 game schedule is harder on players

And nothing is a sure thing moving forward.  The CBA has to change for the increase in regular season games.  Players are more concerned with their long term health that owners and if they remain opposed to adding games to the schedule it will have to be negotiated into the CBA and who knows

On 3/29/2021 at 2:12 PM, slats said:

I like the preseason

I'm sorry.  

, every year a few players surprise with stronger than expected performances once they get in live action situations. 

I'm sure a decent NFL Coach can evaluate his talent in 3 preseason games instead of four.

Besides, how can you win those all important competitions without some competing? 

There are these wonderful new things called practices and scrimmages.  And three preseason games, for now.  

I'm sure those will fill the need.

I think the goal is to get to 18 game seasons with two byes along with two preseason games. The players will likely be on your side, though, looking to eliminate the preseason altogether. 

Oh aye, guaranteed.  

Good . These are the biggest bunch of babies in the world. They complain about practice, preseason and anything else that requires them to work. They will get more money from the extra game and normal people who buy season tickets don't get screwed into an extra preseason game. Not that I'm sure they don't like the pegging cause they pay for a full season of the Jets and a PSL anyway