Sam Darnold is tough sell for a 2nd round pick.

Douglas will be lucky to get a third round pick in trade for Darnold.  A late third rounder.  At this point, it is a "cut your losses" situation.  No GM out there is going to part with a 2nd round pick for arguable the worst statistical QB in the draft.  Even if there is a GM out there that thinks there may be a chance to get good value out of Darnold, that GM knows there is not going to be any sort of a biding war over him.

Take a third and move on...

If JD knows what he is doing a 3rd rounder is a potential pro bowl player *IF* he knows how to pick 'em.

Darnold is definitely worth at least a 2! This kid was screwed since the day he got here by this organization, so careful what you wish for.

I take it he's pretty pissed off right now and if he gets a chance to put it all together a lot of people on this board are going to be eating crow big time.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Fascinating. We may see play out the tension between the draft/talent eval media (Kiper, Shay, Miller) who vouched so hard for Darnold as a rare talent (even after his first two years in the league) and the league itself. Given coverage by Schefter that seemed to reflect the view that there was a market for Darnold for a 2nd (and even a late 1st at one point), it didn't seem like this tension existed until now. 

Of course, the big difference is time - most of the folks for whom Darnold might be worth those things have already solved their QB issue for 2022. Douglas didnt move earlier because he needs to see the medicals for Wilson, et al, but my point is that the demand/supply dynamics shifting probably has just as much to do with Darnold's value changing as whatever perception of his talent is. 

55 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Funny thing is - mostly every former Player suck just as much as I do at evaluating QB talent. Mike Maccaggann was an NFL GM was he good? If those guys were so good, you’d see them in GM chairs, you’d see more FQB picks and less QB busts. Parcels had 4 first round picks before and passed on two hall of fame players. Bill Belicheck is a known disaster in the draft and has been for many years now. Dan Orlassey or whatever, is in love with Darnold’s traits and nothing else. Traits alone doesn’t get it done but he’s paid to talk wild so he does it comfortably.

again, “Patriot Killa”, the message board poster, will be here, all day, all day longggg, on draft night to collect your tears in a bucket after we draft Zach Wilson #2 overall. Have those tear ducts ready for me.

i dont really understand the argument you are making. everyone sucks at talent evaluation so your 2 cents are as good as anyones? those guys make an educated decision based on their experience as players, evaluators, and as people working inside of football operations with access to a ton of information. Clearly at the end of the day the draft is a crapshoot.

i am sorry to disappoint you but i am not going to be particularly upset no matter what the jets do. i've resigned myself to the fact that Joe Douglas is the one that has to make this career making/breaking decision and the rest of us have to live with the results. Unlike you, i don't actually think for a second i know everything there is to know when making this type of a decision....hopefully JD does.

what i do draw the line at, is a bunch of idiotic statements about a kid who clearly has all the ability and potential to be good and has been let down big time by the people around him to the point where his own fanbase is out for blood. and it works both ways...u wont find one post from me calling Zack Wilson or any other prospect horrible, a reach, a one year wonder, a workout warrior, etc...

8 minutes ago, ryu79 said:

Fascinating. We may see play out the tension between the draft/talent eval media (Kiper, Shay, Miller) who vouched so hard for Darnold as a rare talent (even after his first two years in the league) and the league itself. Given coverage by Schefter that seemed to reflect the view that there was a market for Darnold for a 2nd (and even a late 1st at one point), it didn't seem like this tension existed until now. 

Of course, the big difference is time - most of the folks for whom Darnold might be worth those things have already solved their QB issue for 2022. Douglas didnt move earlier because he needs to see the medicals for Wilson, et al, but my point is that the demand/supply dynamics shifting probably has just as much to do with Darnold's value changing as whatever perception of his talent is. 

Also need to factor in that the jets have no leverage anymore, if they ever did.  Everyone knows they’re taking Wilson and that they would prefer to deal darnold before the draft.  

If JD can’t get at least a 3rd for Darnold he should keep him and draft Wilson, Fields or whoever he feels is the best pick. We won’t have an experienced QB on the roster if we trade him for a 4th or worse so keep him and let him battle the draftee for the starting job. Some have said it would be a bad situation for the incoming QB to keep Darnold but I say that I don’t want a QB that can’t mentally handle competition.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

How long are we going to wait & see. The draft is basically in 30-32 days 

Josh Rosen got traded on draft night.  We may be waiting those 30 days.  Maybe someone misses out on a guy they want in the draft and send a pick our way for Darnold then.  No matter what happens, these next 30 days can't go by fast enough.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, k-met57 said:

Kimberly martin is irrelevant. She has covered like 4 teams in the last 4 years.

posting crap like this is the only reason to get people to actually read her sh*t.

Teams also give anonymous quotes like this to try to drive down the price so they can get the player cheaper or to keep a rival from getting max value in return for a player.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Joejet said:

If JD can’t get at least a 3rd for Darnold he should keep him and draft Wilson, Fields or whoever he feels is the best pick. We won’t have an experienced QB on the roster if we trade him for a 4th or worse so keep him and let him battle the draftee for the starting job. Some have said it would be a bad situation for the incoming QB to keep Darnold but I say that I don’t want a QB that can’t mentally handle competition.

We will have a veteran QB no matter what.  The smart move is to sign Nick Mullens who knows the system and he can be a cheap long term backup.  We can sign him very cheap.  Sam isn't an experienced QB in Shanahan's system.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Morrissey said:

You mean arguably the worst starting QB in the league who's about to become expensive isn't held in high regard by NFL front offices?

Shocked!

National media's love affair with Darnold is more about loving to crap on the Jets than it is about anything Darnold has shown on field.

I wish I could like this twice. This is literally all it is, this narrative is perpetuated by the media, especially morons like Greenberg who's SOJ mentality has allowed him to convince himself that Darnold will be an All pro on another team. Yes Sam was in an awful situation but he showed us literally NOTHING after his rookie year and has regressed immensely. 

Also one other point, if the jets had the #1 pick, the narrative that the Jets may screw up Trevor would be a huge talking point right now, even though the Jags are also an awful franchise devoid of talent. The media is so predictable and transparent 

• Upvote 2

I still think there is a good possibility we swap picks with CAR to get back into the top 10 by giving up 23, Darnold and probably a later round pick. CAR can spin it that they picked up a potential starting QB to compete with Bridgewater and picked up another draft pick. NYJ can spin that they now will pick another elite prospect and that they traded Darnold for greater value than they would have gotten in a straight up trade. 

If this does in fact happen though, there is no way JD would make the trade prior to the draft without knowing who will be on the board when they are looking to trade up. If this is going to happen, it will happen with CAR on the clock. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JetFreak89 said:

I still think there is a good possibility we swap picks with CAR to get back into the top 10 by giving up 23, Darnold and probably a later round pick. CAR can spin it that they picked up a potential starting QB to compete with Bridgewater and picked up another draft pick. NYJ can spin that they now will pick another elite prospect and that they traded Darnold for greater value than they would have gotten in a straight up trade. 

If this does in fact happen though, there is no way JD would make the trade prior to the draft without knowing who will be on the board when they are looking to trade up. If this is going to happen, it will happen with CAR on the clock. 

i can't see carolina taking darnold as compensation for moving back that far.  how upset would this fanbase be if we moved from 8 to 23 in a deal where the main compensation was the worst starting qb in the nfl last year?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

Somewhat Ironic.  We unloaded Bridgewater because we didn't want him competing with Darnold.  If we had a competition Bridgewater would be our QB.  

• Upvote 2

Sam is a bonehead.  He runs out of bounds behind the line at least 2-3 times a season.   Further, I can't ever recall seeing him throw the ball away.  His football IQ sux.  

There was a poll a while back asking how much we'd get for Sam.  I voted a 5th rounder and I've been praying I'm wrong but I don't think so.  

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

true story. i think you got the words down, bordering on sentence construction...when u can put together an argument....ill be here.

Yikes, the belittling aspect of other’s insecurity on the internet in full effect.

I already explained my argument, you missed my entire point, clearly you’re on board to keep Darnold, there’s no reason for me to repeat myself over & over again just in different ways. It’s my birthday.? I’d much rather spend some morning time on JN more positively, so I simply pointed out where we weren’t seeing eye to eye. You’re the one who chose to misinterpret my posts as “all knowing” and combat that in a condescending way.

No reason for us to really continue this spat back & fourth. 

• Post of the Week 3

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Who is playing qb after Wilson gets injured next season?

not Sam

its the contract. guaranteed if hes here after may 3 for the 5th year.

With the 2021 offseason kicking into gear, the Jets have a tough decision to make regarding Sam Darnold and his contract. As part of all rookie contracts, teams have the option to exercise a fifth-year. The deadline for that decision with Darnold is May 3rd, 2021.

While discussion around other quarterbacks in the 2018 NFL Draft involves a potential extension for the likes of Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, the focus for Darnold is on whether the Jets will exercise the fifth-year option. If the Jets exercise the fifth-year option, Darnold’s salary in that year will also be fully guaranteed.

As Darnold has played over 75 percent of the Jets’ snaps in all three seasons, he will be eligible for the third-highest salary tier. The exact figure is not yet confirmed, but it is expected to be between $15 and $20 million.

JD is Mr vaule man. no way he pays Sam 15-20 mil in 2022. and thats no matter if hes here or not. much cheaper option at backup QB

face it hes gone

I think I’m 100% sure the pick will be Wilson now, just seen on ESPN the Dolphins was looking to trade up for Zach and when they couldn’t they decided on trading down. 

The NYJ view Zach as a franchise QB and will be selecting him at 2. The only thing stopping this is Zach pulling a Eli and with him meeting with Josh and Chad Pennington I think that is unlikely. 

Zach Wilson is the pick  ?‍♂️

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Here is MUCH more reliable source. Sorry about gettin some of you guys hyped up for what seems to be nothing.

i have been saying this since the season ending. arguing with people on this board cause they were told by some NFL expert Sam was worth a 1. 

i dont know what games they were watching but it wasnt Sams

how do you sell your fanbase on a 1 or 2 or even a 3 for Sam. no way.

and as i said above the contract will be a HUGE deal. whoever has him after may 3 has to pay 15-20 mil NO MATTER if hes on the team or not in 2022.

i bet Sam is released. 

no team is paying him that kind of money. he gets released and a team signs him at a much cheaper price reflected of his body of work these pass 3 years.

2 hours ago, Greenbloodblitz said:

Darnold is definitely worth at least a 2! This kid was screwed since the day he got here by this organization, so careful what you wish for.

I take it he's pretty pissed off right now and if he gets a chance to put it all together a lot of people on this board are going to be eating crow big time.

Agreed.  Sam certainly has had his issues no doubt about it BUT the kid was completely set up to fail here.  He had the worst coaching staff, one of the worst olines, and worst collection of offensive weapons in the entire league.  That has a big effect on you 

15 minutes ago, doitny said:

i have been saying this since the season ending. arguing with people on this board cause they were told by some NFL expert Sam was worth a 1. 

i dont know what games they were watching but it wasnt Sams

how do you sell your fanbase on a 1 or 2 or even a 3 for Sam. no way.

and as i said above the contract will be a HUGE deal. whoever has him after may 3 has to pay 15-20 mil NO MATTER if hes on the team or not in 2022.

i bet Sam is released. 

no team is paying him that kind of money. he gets released and a team signs him at a much cheaper price reflected of his body of work these pass 3 years.

So that's not at all how the 5th year option works.  The Jets have until May 3 to decide whether to exercise the 5th year option or not.  If they don't, Darnold still plays this year but is a FA afterwards.  If they do, his 5th year salary is determined and guaranteed.

They aren't cutting him.  Zero scenarios where that makes any sense.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cp561 said:

I wish I could like this twice. This is literally all it is, this narrative is perpetuated by the media, especially morons like Greenberg who's SOJ mentality has allowed him to convince himself that Darnold will be an All pro on another team. Yes Sam was in an awful situation but he showed us literally NOTHING after his rookie year and has regressed immensely. 

Also one other point, if the jets had the #1 pick, the narrative that the Jets may screw up Trevor would be a huge talking point right now, even though the Jags are also an awful franchise devoid of talent. The media is so predictable and transparent 

and the second the Jets would have committed to Darnold beyond his rookie deal is the second the media would start to crap on the Jets for passing on an actual franchise QB and keeping Darnold who in 3 seasons hasn't fixed any of the issues he had at USC.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Josh Rosen got traded on draft night.  We may be waiting those 30 days.  Maybe someone misses out on a guy they want in the draft and send a pick our way for Darnold then.  No matter what happens, these next 30 days can't go by fast enough.

Bingo.  Right now, CAR has reason to hope Fields could drop to them (or Lance or Jones).  DEN as well.  But if things don't pan out that way, and they are looking at their pick with no coveted QB on the board, their incentive to trade for Darnold goes up.  They could either have a trade in place at that point to flip down to #23 while getting Darnold and other compensation, or they could just trade a 2nd rounder for him.

I think we could see this with either CAR or DEN.  

PIT obviously has no shot at a QB they really want at #24 so that could come into play after we see what happens at 8 and 9.

I'm assuming WFT is off the table for now, but Fitz is not exactly a long-term answer so who knows.

• Upvote 1

After the last game of last season, I didn't figure Sam was worth even a 3rd round pick to another team, esp. given the fact that his 5th year option would have to be decided on before he even plays one game for his new team. However, JD appears to be a tough trade negotiator, so who knows? It will only take one team getting a bit desperate for JD to get what he wants.

I wonder if JD can get a bit more for Darnold by taking a 2022 pick for him rather than 2021, esp. if he draws a line at a 2nd round pick.

FWIW, I wouldn't trade him for less than a 3rd round pick. In that case, just keep him and let him and Wilson (or whoever) battle it out in training camp and see if a team eventually comes calling with whatever JD wants.

• Upvote 1

• The Jets are not cutting Darnold.  They are on the hook for his $4mm+ salary and someone will scoop him up for the minimum.
  • The Jets need another QB.  Sam is on the roster.
  • The market for Sam now is at its lowest.  On or after Day 2 of the draft teams will reflect upon who they have and whether it is worth trading for Sam.  If we get a pick it will be next year likely, which is a bummer, but a team trading for Sam will want its picks this year.
  • Teams will also need a QB during the season as QBs get hurt.  One of those teams could be the Jets.  If Darnold could be fixed, the Jets can potentially trade him for more value than he is worth today.
  • The 5th option is a gamble that locks him up for 2 years.  I don't know whether that is worth it.  Any team that takes Darnold now can franchise him, or use that as leverage to get him to sign a reasonable contract.  

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

If the Jets only get a 3rd for him, they should just keep him. That is the comp pick we recieve if he walks as a FA. 

No it's not. The 3rd round comp pick is reserved for the top FA's, not a backup QB. The Jets would be lucky to get a 6th for him and most likely won't get anything bc they'll need to spend money next year when they have another $100 million in cap space. 

4 hours ago, maury77 said:

If you can't get at least a second for him, then why trade him at all? If he walks in FA, you still recoup a third-round comp pick. You might as well let Darnold compete with Zach Wilson at that stage so you don't have to spend $ on a vet backup. 

That's not how comp picks work.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Yikes, the belittling aspect of other’s insecurity on the internet in full effect.

I already explained my argument, you missed my entire point, clearly you’re on board to keep Darnold, there’s no reason for me to repeat myself over & over again just in different ways. It’s my birthday.? I’d much rather spend some morning time on JN more positively, so I simply pointed out where we weren’t seeing eye to eye. You’re the one who chose to misinterpret my posts as “all knowing” and combat that in a condescending way.

No reason for us to really continue this spat back & fourth. 

happy birthday :)

6 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Here is MUCH more reliable source. Sorry about gettin some of you guys hyped up for what seems to be nothing.

Then keep him, 100%.

Makes no sense to move him.  Do we really need another Jabari Zuniga, La'Mical Perine type mid-round player for Sam Darnold?  Let him compete with Wilson and potentially back him up for 2021.

• Upvote 1