2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm getting a little sick of seeing 100 different topics being created to discuss pretty much the same thing, so I figured make a thread where it can all go down in one spot, separate from the FA thread? 

Anyway, we're a month out from the draft and things appear to be crystalizing: 

1. The first 3 picks will be spent on QBs for the first time since 1999 when Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, and Akili Smith went 1-2-3. 
  2. All signs point to Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson going 1-and-2 to the Jaguars and Jets respectively. 
  3. There is a lot of legs to the rumor that Mac Jones will be the 3rd QB off the board to the 49ers, with Daniel Jeremiah the most recent tapped-in football analyst to suggest so. He appeared on "The Athletic Football Podcast" stating that majority of the people around the league --- people that he has faith in --- believe that's who they'll be selecting barring a trade up to #2. 
  4. Jeremiah added that the Carolina Panthers have been most connected to Jones. Separately, I reached out to someone who is connected to the Panthers front office with a more direct question (last week they said Pitts/Farley/maybe Fields for their pick) whether Jones is of interest, and they said he won't be there at 8 and they didn't think Lance would be either... the overall sentiment in Carolina (which could be poker or not) is that the owner is infatuated with Watson, and that's been the prize he has wanted to hold out for. Whether that changes due to the non-stop piling on of sexual misconduct suits is worth monitoring, but it sounds like they would be fine waiting until 2022 to address QB long-term. Maybe the coaches win this one out (they have high opinions on Darnold and have called the Jets), but at the end of the day it's Tepper who calls the final shot. 
  5. There's a strong believe in the NFL that for the first time ever, 4 QBs will go back-to-back-to-back-to-back to begin the draft. I'm not so sure about this. I think there's a strong possibility the Falcons take Kyle Pitts instead. 

Hope we have the same luck picking#2 as the Eagles did as far as how those careers transpired.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

1. The first 3 picks will be spent on QBs for the first time since 1999 when Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, and Akili Smith went 1-2-3. 

Two out of three were huge busts.

Will 2021 be better?

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I'm getting a little sick of seeing 100 different topics being created to discuss pretty much the same thing, so I figured make a thread where it can all go down in one spot, separate from the FA thread? 

2. All signs point to Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson going 1-and-2 to the Jaguars and Jets respectively. 
  3. There is a lot of legs to the rumor that Mac Jones will be the 3rd QB off the board to the 49ers, with Daniel Jeremiah the most recent tapped-in football analyst to suggest so. He appeared on "The Athletic Football Podcast" stating that majority of the people around the league --- people that he has faith in --- believe that's who they'll be selecting barring a trade up to #2. 
  4. Jeremiah added that the Carolina Panthers have been most connected to Jones. Separately, I reached out to someone who is connected to the Panthers front office with a more direct question (last week they said Pitts/Farley/maybe Fields for their pick) whether Jones is of interest, and they said he won't be there at 8 and they didn't think Lance would be either... the overall sentiment in Carolina (which could be poker or not) is that the owner is infatuated with Watson, and that's been the prize he has wanted to hold out for. Whether that changes due to the non-stop piling on of sexual misconduct suits is worth monitoring, but it sounds like they would be fine waiting until 2022 to address QB long-term. Maybe the coaches win this one out (they have high opinions on Darnold and have called the Jets), but at the end of the day it's Tepper who calls the final shot. 
  5. There's a strong believe in the NFL that for the first time ever, 4 QBs will go back-to-back-to-back-to-back to begin the draft. I'm not so sure about this. I think there's a strong possibility the Falcons take Kyle Pitts instead. 

So does Joe Douglas and the FO/coaching staff actually have a higher grade on Zach Wilson than they did on Darnold? Or are they simply just taking Wilson because they don't expect a FMV trade down opportunity? 

To me, suddenly people are acting like this guy Wilson is the second coming of Patrick Mahomes and that's funny. Who would you compare Wilson to and what is his floor and ceiling? 

Thanks, you are definitely the guy for information and know your stuff!

• Upvote 2

Just now, JetsFan459 said:

So does Joe Douglas and the FO/coaching staff actually have a higher grade on Zach Wilson than they did on Darnold? Or are they simply just taking Wilson because they don't expect a FMV trade down opportunity? 

To me, suddenly people are acting like this guy Wilson is the second coming of Patrick Mahomes and that's funny. Who would you compare Wilson to and what is his floor and ceiling? 

Thanks, you are definitely the guy for information and know your stuff!

I don't know that yet, but I'll be able to find out soon. My guess is yes, Douglas has a higher grade on Zach Wilson than he did Darnold. But the point is that people in the organization thought a real scenario existed where they could have a higher grade on Wilson, yet still stuck with Darnold, if a team was willing to pay what the Jets were looking for. I don't think the Jets said "we want xyz for #2", just as they haven't told people what they want for Darnold... but they've listened, and I think Douglas had an idea in his head what it would take for him to give up #2. With the 49ers deal in the books, I don't think you can take anything less than 3 first-round picks and a second-round pick to move from #2 to #8, and I don't think Carolina will offer that for a number of reasons. Even if Atlanta were to make an offer for #2, is it going to be something robust enough for the Jets to consider? Douglas would want future 1st round picks and additional present-day draft capital; would Atlanta pay that premium just to move up 2 picks? Doubt it, especially with Matt Ryan essentially under contract for 2 more years

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't know that yet, but I'll be able to find out soon. My guess is yes, Douglas has a higher grade on Zach Wilson than he did Darnold. But the point is that people in the organization thought a real scenario existed where they could have a higher grade on Wilson, yet still stuck with Darnold, if a team was willing to pay what the Jets were looking for. I don't think the Jets said "we want xyz for #2", just as they haven't told people what they want for Darnold... but they've listened, and I think Douglas had an idea in his head what it would take for him to give up #2. With the 49ers deal in the books, I don't think you can take anything less than 3 first-round picks and a second-round pick to move from #2 to #8, and I don't think Carolina will offer that for a number of reasons. Even if Atlanta were to make an offer for #2, is it going to be something robust enough for the Jets to consider? Douglas would want future 1st round picks and additional present-day draft capital; would Atlanta pay that premium just to move up 2 picks? Doubt it, especially with Matt Ryan essentially under contract for 2 more years

ATL has to look deep and decide if they think they can win it all in the next 2 years with Ryan.  I'm not sure they have enough on that team to get them back to the big game.  Long term, they should probably do the GB thing and draft his replacement while they are position to get a good one.  If Fields is there, I wouldn't be surprised if he were the pick at all.

Having said that, Pitts and Chase going #4/#5 is what we should hope for as it would blow a hole in MIA's apparent draft plan post-trade.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, nycdan said:

ATL has to look deep and decide if they think they can win it all in the next 2 years with Ryan.  I'm not sure they have enough on that team to get them back to the big game.  Long term, they should probably do the GB thing and draft his replacement while they are position to get a good one.  If Fields is there, I wouldn't be surprised if he were the pick at all.

Having said that, Pitts and Chase going #4/#5 is what we should hope for as it would blow a hole in MIA's apparent draft plan post-trade.  

it's looking like atlanta may have nice options at 4 regardless of which qb the 49ers take.  i think they're seriously debating taking fields and having him sit for at least half of 2021 and then have him take over for ryan.  atlanta may not be in this position again next draft and ryan really isn't the qb he used to be.  yet if they wanted to trade out, they probably would trade with carolina, so maybe denver can pop in there and grab a qb like lance.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Lance or Fields to ATL at 4 makes so much sense to sit behind Matt Ryan for a year.

too much to ignore, and SF knows this and correctly decided early that trading to 3 was their only hope of getting one of their preferred qbs.  atlanta is a perfect landing spot for lance or fields.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

too much to ignore, and SF knows this and correctly decided early that trading to 3 was their only hope of getting one of their preferred qbs.  atlanta is a perfect landing spot for lance or fields.  

Either Lance or Fields can easily slip to Detroit or Carolina at 7 or 8...or some team trades up before then.

We’re going to see 5 QB’s in the top 10 or less this year. 

I guess, Tepper & Fitterer have a month...they're likely the only franchise situated high enough to consider trading the farm for Zach Wilson, to meet Joe Douglas's demands for that #2 spot.

If the asking price is too rich for them, they can move on Darnold if the Broncos don't get there first. Darnold for a year while they are waiting for Deshaun Watson's situation to clarify, is competition.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Either Lance or Fields can easily slip to Detroit or Carolina at 7 or 8...or some team trades up before then.

We’re going to see 5 QB’s in the top 10 or less this year. 

if detroit wants a qb, trading up with atlanta is a neat move since atlanta won't give carolina a qb.  all these qbs will push good players down more, it would be great if the jets could figure out how to move up but darnold doesn't seem to be enough.

The draft is going to be fascinating this year.. Also with @football guy information that the jets want to move back up into the top 10 after (which i have heard also from several people).  

As stated I doubt pitts makes it down to 9 (if we trade up with denver). the interesting thing will be if we want to trade up who would be available still at that pick that we'd have interest in.  A lot of the CBs would, but I don't see us trading up for a CB with a new rookie QB.  My gut tells me Waddle. 

• Upvote 2

Nothing is locked in yet. If SF really wants Wilson they can still move up to #2 by trading their 2nd round pick.

If Wilson is really so highly rated then it's a possibility that Atlanta makes JD a great deal and JD can still have his choice of any non-QB premium position player. That's if the Jets want to roll with Sam for one more year.

Only JD knows what he's going to and until he trades either Sam or the #2 OA we won't know for sure. We may have to wait until they're on the clock.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

I think Mac can succeed  because he can move his feet well and has pocket awareness...

I don’t get this idea that pure pocket passers are dead in the NFL when Brady just won a title and Ryan would have if the Falcons just ran the ball when they had the huge lead..

The idea you need you need to be Lamar Jackson is foolish.. I think the way Lamar plays there is a lot of questions if he can thrive in the playoffs especially when his teams down a few scores and he’s forced to throw 

• Upvote 2