2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

Yea, like If your a subscriber to the “I’d pass on Wilson for a kings Ransom” then this would be wholly underwhelming.. 
This scenario would be more about Joe Douglas having a sky high grade on Pitts and feels value wise he believes he’s coming out on top with Sam+Pitts+SF’s 11pick in the 2nd.... vs Wilson+late 3rd (for Sam)

There is no way that Joe Douglas who is a disciple of Ozzie Newsome and positional value is turning down 3 firsts and a third to draft a tight end. I dont care how good he is. There is no special deal. Jags are taking Lawrence. The Jets are taking Wilson. The 49ers are probably taking Lance (IMO)

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Dcat said:

Checks yet another box for Woody Johnson. 

I thought it was a joke but apparently it was pretty contentious among some of his teammates and coaches in his corner because they saw him as the hardest worker and most deserving. Apparently Zach didn’t make a big deal of it, but some of his teammates that didn’t vote for him actually apologized for their non-vote after the fact. This was told to me by someone who leans left and seems to be a prevalent rumor in scouting circles 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

There’s a lot of smoke surrounding Davis Mills to the Seahawks. I don’t know how a team can be so stubborn but it looks and sounds like they’re serious about finding an heir to Russell Wilson. I really won’t count them out for Darnold if he’s traded

Seems to be a very hot name now.

16 minutes ago, football guy said:

There’s a lot of smoke surrounding Davis Mills to the Seahawks. I don’t know how a team can be so stubborn but it looks and sounds like they’re serious about finding an heir to Russell Wilson. I really won’t count them out for Darnold if he’s traded

Don't you think he needs to go to a team where he will play right away? Whatever team he's on needs to evaluate him because they will have to decide shortly if franchise tag or contract extension worthy

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The lengths people will go to to convince themselves the Jets aren't taking Wilson is just hilarious.

If the Jets were truly in contact with the 49ers, and helped enable a trade to get more picks for a divisional rival, then absolutely everyone in the organisation would need to be fired on the spot. They're working for the Jets and no one else. F*ck the 49ers. 

Until we swap 2nd for the 3rd and get Bosa in the deal. 

• Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, Paradis said:

it's not the fans. these are industry ppl, ie. NFL agents... 

hey i get it... feels like reaching.. made up sh*t... But you know what? there's 2 things that keep breathing life into those conversations..

1. Jets haven't traded Darnold yet... that's a legit question mark.
  2. A lot of people are calling bullsh*t on SF giving up 3 first for Mac Jones at #3 - and can you blame them?

Are the jets flipping picks with SF?... i dunno. Probably not. But them 2 things up there ^^ say there's still 3rd act to this thing we haven't seen play out yet. 

Conspiracy theories are fun, but there's no way -in my ever humble opinion- that Joe Douglas sees a TE and a second round pick as suitable value for the #2 overall pick. I don't care how fantastic the TE is, that's just nuts. 

But if you and the 49ers wanna play, the one way that woks is if the Jets have another deal to move down again, maybe for slightly less than what Miami got because they would now have that extra second round pick this year already secured. 

I don't buy that, either, lol, but that's the only scenario where I see the Jets swapping picks with SF. 

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Don't you think he needs to go to a team where he will play right away? Whatever team he's on needs to evaluate him because they will have to decide shortly if franchise tag or contract extension worthy

Not necessarily. I think Darnold is going to have to settle for a team-friendly deal regardless where he is, and has shown enough good tape for a team to feel comfortable with him as a future starter. Honestly most of his issues stem from mechanics, which a team will be able to monitor the progress throughout the season. I also think giving him a year to absorb an offense without having to play would benefit him tremendously, especially the scheme SEA is implementing (similar to ours)

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The lengths people will go to to convince themselves the Jets aren't taking Wilson is just hilarious.

If the Jets were truly in contact with the 49ers, and helped enable a trade to get more picks for a divisional rival, then absolutely everyone in the organisation would need to be fired on the spot. They're working for the Jets and no one else. F*ck the 49ers. 

People are overanalyzing everything because we just have nothing to really talk about at this point.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

People are overanalyzing everything because we just have nothing to really talk about at this point.

with no combine there's really been no credible rumors and now the top of the draft lacks intrigue except which qb the 49ers are taking, and whether atlanta will trade out or not.

23 minutes ago, slats said:

Conspiracy theories are fun, but there's no way -in my ever humble opinion- that Joe Douglas sees a TE and a second round pick as suitable value for the #2 overall pick. I don't care how fantastic the TE is, that's just nuts. 

But if you and the 49ers wanna play, the one way that woks is if the Jets have another deal to move down again, maybe for slightly less than what Miami got because they would now have that extra second round pick this year already secured. 

I don't buy that, either, lol, but that's the only scenario where I see the Jets swapping picks with SF. 

I don’t think it’s likely either. Not even sure id be happy (tho guaranteed to be horny w/Pitts)... but it only sounds crazy/stupid if you’re coming from the headspace of “I expect/want to get 3 firsts for a trade back and Wilson is Mahomes” ...then yes, the whole thing sounds like a farce. 

What i said was if you’re going to entertain a mentality that you (key part) really think highly of Darnold still, and want to stay in the top 10 (the higher the better) - it’s not crazy. The logic is there. Pitts isn’t a reach, he’s going top 5. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

TE=safety=one of the least important positions in the game. Yes. if you have to rank them, it is true

In fairness that is because outside a handful of TEs, the position is largely filled by JAGs. 

Instead of “TE,” think of Pitts as the “premiere offensive player” in this class, and ask if we need help on offense. 

FCAFF78B-BBE4-47F7-8708-4DFF1E012046.jpeg

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don’t think it’s likely either. Not even sure id be happy (tho guaranteed to be horny w/Pitts)... but it only sounds crazy/stupid if you’re coming from the headspace of “I expect/want to get 3 firsts for a trade back and Wilson is Mahomes” ...then yes, the whole thing sounds like a farce. 

What i said was if you’re going to entertain a mentality that you (key part) really think highly of Darnold still, and want to stay in the top 10 (the higher the better) - it’s not crazy. The logic is there. Pitts isn’t a reach, he’s going top 5. 

I just can't see JD passing on a QB at #2 without coming away with at least one 2022 first round pick to hedge his bet that Darnold can be the guy. That's just too risky, IMHO. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

In fairness that is because outside a handful of TEs, the position is largely filled by JAGs. 

Instead of “TE,” think of Pitts as the “premiere offensive player” in this class, and ask if we need help on offense. 

FCAFF78B-BBE4-47F7-8708-4DFF1E012046.jpeg

You’re “literally” talking about the best talent in the draft class. Yes, over TL

(but you’d knew I’d say that about a TE)

As soon as I saw that trade my SOJ fan mentality said well we are not taking Wilson. I have a hard time believing the Niners traded that  much capital for Jones or Lance, maybe Fields. Something to me doesn’t sit right but he’ll I am paranoid lunatic when it comes to the Jets and their decision making.

49 minutes ago, Paradis said:

In my view, this is the only way a trade back for Pitts would make sense.  I love the kid (now that he is not a Gator anymore), but since I have given up on Darnold as a Jet, any thought of obtaining Pitts has long left my consciousness. 

Fields (or Wilson) at 2 and add a couple of linemen by the end of day 2.  Kind of where my head has been at ever since we beat the Rams.  And I don't see that changing in the next 28 days.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If we drafted a friggin TE at 3 after a slight move down I'd kick Douglas in the nuts.

Pitts would be a total mccagnan pick.

All this Pitts stuff makes me laugh so hard .. dude is a WR playing TE. Yes he is the best TE in the class .. which is why he should go late 1st round. Its like drafting a box safety at #6 ... errr ... wait.

Edited by Dunnie

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

I agree. I do know the Jets love Kyle Pitts, and with the way people speak about him it wouldn't shock me if he was their highest rated TE/WR ever, but this administration also doesn't place a premium on skill position players. The only way they pass up on taking a QB is if a team makes them an offer than ensures them "generational wealth" in the form of draft assets. 

The theory they had, which we now know was Douglas's brainchild, was that Darnold is good enough and has enough potential to consider passing up a QB if the return were to warrant it. It wasn't like the Jets would be doing what the 49ers did and pass up on a QB in favor of Hoyer and a rookie (although Kyle Shanahan admitted it was because he planned to sign Cousins). It was because they knew they had a guy with enough "franchise QB qualities" that it would be a solid hedge, and it only helped Sam that everyone in the building loves him. If he didn't work out they would have so many options: acquire a veteran or draft one in 2022, but what's more important would be that the team wasn't QB centric. If you created a generational pipeline of talent year-to-year using draft assets at positions around the QB, it wouldn't matter who the QB is. 

I'm aware the reports out there that Joe loves Zach Wilson, and the look on Joe's face sold it. I don't doubt that. But I do know that he entered this offseason with a plan, and that plan was to figure out the Jets best way to build a sustainable winner. The process they had in mind - evaluate the QBs vs. Darnold then start vetting out trades (haven't done it yet, at least officially) - was because they wanted to try and quantify how much better building a team around the #2 QB could be vs. building a talent rich roster around the QB for the foreseeable future. There's a reality that exists where Zach Wilson can be one of the best QBs in the NFL, yet the Jets don't win sh*t and the entire FO gets fired, just as much as there's a reality that Sam Darnold faceplants/Wilson becomes one of the best QBs in the league or vice-a-versa. But assuming that Joe did hit on enough of those picks and Darnold did become at least an average QB, it would result in fostering sustainable success for potentially a decade, with gaps being filled in FA and pipelines being formed via year-to-year acquisitions.

That said, when they had these strategy meetings early in the offseason, I don't think their idea of "compiling assets" was in the form of moving down 1 spot for an additional 2nd round pick. Things change, but the comps used were RGIII trade, Goff trade, Wentz trade. It's something like the 49ers gave up for #3, but I'm guessing the Jets would want  a top 10 pick and additional early pick in 2021 (top 75), possibly a mid-round pick (top 150), and then future picks whether it be 2 future first-round picks, or a future first and a future second. And what's ironic is that if the Jets traded down to say 8, I think they would've done something similar to what MIA-PHI did: move back up to 6 to ensure they grab a top-rated non-QB. If Pitts were there they'd absolutely take him, but they probably would've felt good about Chase and an OL as well. 

I think the Jets see a drop-off after the top 10, and they want to acquire as many good players this year as they can while remaining asset-rich in future years. If they can't get multiple high-end picks that include future first-rounders, I don't think they'll entertain it. I think they will still consider offers for #2, but I simply don't think the market will be there for the kind of ransom they're seeking. At that point they would rather take the 3rd + a conditional 2022 pick for Darnold than take a top 50 second to move down 1 spot... not saying it won't happen, but it's just my pulse on it 

Agree. I think if there was a swap with the 49rs, it would be the first of two trades for the Jets. First, swap 2 for 3, a player and maybe pick 102. Then, at 3, the next trade would be with a 2nd team in the top 10 that wants another QB, or someone else. That's where the bigger prize is. Would think Bengals, Panthers or Broncos. It's all just fun speculation, but don't think out of the question. Put it this way, no crazier than picking a TE at #2.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Lith said:

In my view, this is the only way a trade back for Pitts would make sense.  I love the kid (now that he is not a Gator anymore), but since I have given up on Darnold as a Jet, any thought of obtaining Pitts has long left my consciousness. 

Fields (or Wilson) at 2 and add a couple of linemen by the end of day 2.  Kind of where my head has been at ever since we beat the Rams.  And I don't see that changing in the next 28 days.

Sound logic. I can dig it. 

25 minutes ago, football guy said:

I agree. I do know the Jets love Kyle Pitts, and with the way people speak about him it wouldn't shock me if he was their highest rated TE/WR ever, but this administration also doesn't place a premium on skill position players. The only way they pass up on taking a QB is if a team makes them an offer than ensures them "generational wealth" in the form of draft assets. 

The theory they had, which we now know was Douglas's brainchild, was that Darnold is good enough and has enough potential to consider passing up a QB if the return were to warrant it. It wasn't like the Jets would be doing what the 49ers did and pass up on a QB in favor of Hoyer and a rookie (although Kyle Shanahan admitted it was because he planned to sign Cousins). It was because they knew they had a guy with enough "franchise QB qualities" that it would be a solid hedge, and it only helped Sam that everyone in the building loves him. If he didn't work out they would have so many options: acquire a veteran or draft one in 2022, but what's more important would be that the team wasn't QB centric. If you created a generational pipeline of talent year-to-year using draft assets at positions around the QB, it wouldn't matter who the QB is. 

I'm aware the reports out there that Joe loves Zach Wilson, and the look on Joe's face sold it. I don't doubt that. But I do know that he entered this offseason with a plan, and that plan was to figure out the Jets best way to build a sustainable winner. The process they had in mind - evaluate the QBs vs. Darnold then start vetting out trades (haven't done it yet, at least officially) - was because they wanted to try and quantify how much better building a team around the #2 QB could be vs. building a talent rich roster around the QB for the foreseeable future. There's a reality that exists where Zach Wilson can be one of the best QBs in the NFL, yet the Jets don't win sh*t and the entire FO gets fired, just as much as there's a reality that Sam Darnold faceplants/Wilson becomes one of the best QBs in the league or vice-a-versa. But assuming that Joe did hit on enough of those picks and Darnold did become at least an average QB, it would result in fostering sustainable success for potentially a decade, with gaps being filled in FA and pipelines being formed via year-to-year acquisitions.

That said, when they had these strategy meetings early in the offseason, I don't think their idea of "compiling assets" was in the form of moving down 1 spot for an additional 2nd round pick. Things change, but the comps used were RGIII trade, Goff trade, Wentz trade. It's something like the 49ers gave up for #3, but I'm guessing the Jets would want  a top 10 pick and additional early pick in 2021 (top 75), possibly a mid-round pick (top 150), and then future picks whether it be 2 future first-round picks, or a future first and a future second. And what's ironic is that if the Jets traded down to say 8, I think they would've done something similar to what MIA-PHI did: move back up to 6 to ensure they grab a top-rated non-QB. If Pitts were there they'd absolutely take him, but they probably would've felt good about Chase and an OL as well. 

I think the Jets see a drop-off after the top 10, and they want to acquire as many good players this year as they can while remaining asset-rich in future years. If they can't get multiple high-end picks that include future first-rounders, I don't think they'll entertain it. I think they will still consider offers for #2, but I simply don't think the market will be there for the kind of ransom they're seeking. At that point they would rather take the 3rd + a conditional 2022 pick for Darnold than take a top 50 second to move down 1 spot... not saying it won't happen, but it's just my pulse on it 

If douglas doesn’t put a premium on skill position players, and is indifferent between qb options, then what positions will be emphasized to make the jets a contender?