2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

10 minutes ago, football guy said:

The Jets-specific scenarios I’m paying close attention to in round 1

• Trade up for OT Rashawn Slater if he falls outside the top 10 (PHI at #12) 
  • Trade up for WR Jaylen Waddle if he falls outside the top 15 (ARI/LV at #16/17) 
  • Trade up a few spots or stay at 23 to select an OL (Teven Jenkins/Alijah Vera-Tucker) or a pass rusher (Jayson Oweh/Jaelan Phillips/Kwity Paye/Azeez Ojulari) (*could potentially swap with CHI/IND at #20/#21 depending how the board shakes out*) 
  • Trade down from 23, select a WR (Kadarius Toney/Terrace Marshall) or CB (Greg Newsome II) 

I'll believe it when I see it.  JD seems to be the anti-Tannenbaum...

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So no creed then?

I really don’t see it for a few reasons: (1) I think Miami will possibly take him at #18; and (2) they value tackles that can play guard over centers who can play guard. Tony Pauline says the Jets are high on him, and contrary to popular belief people in the scouting community say Creed would be fine at guard, but just don’t see them going that route in round 1. 

If Miami doesn’t take Creed he may fall out of R1 entirely. Landon Dickerson is interesting—if it weren’t for the injuries he’d be a top 20 lock

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I'll believe it when I see it.  JD seems to be the anti-Tannenbaum...

I mean I don’t disagree with you in regards to moving up into the top 15;  they wanted to by pairing #23 and Darnold but not sure they’d send #34 away.

As far as trading up a few spots? Absolutely will. Moved up from 25 to 22 in 2019 in order to select Andre Dillard (HOU was taking him at 23). Jets find themselves in a similar situation where a few teams ahead of them are targeting the same players

14 minutes ago, football guy said:

I really don’t see it for a few reasons: (1) I think Miami will possibly take him at #18; and (2) they value tackles that can play guard over centers who can play guard. Tony Pauline says the Jets are high on him, and contrary to popular belief people in the scouting community say Creed would be fine at guard, but just don’t see them going that route in round 1. 

If Miami doesn’t take Creed he may fall out of R1 entirely. Landon Dickerson is interesting—if it weren’t for the injuries he’d be a top 20 lock

Do they have any interest in any Centers? 

1 minute ago, Big_Slick said:

What would the Jets have to give up for that move? #23 and #34 seems like a steep price to pay. Although I'm all for building the OL.

That exact trade was made in our jetnaton mock draft which is going on right now except the Jets gm traded up to 9 to get slater for 23 and 34

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Is Slater THAT much better then being able to get 2 quality starters?

We'll have to trust JD's evaluation and his ability to actually pick 2 quality starters at premium positions.

I want to see the OL become the foundation of the Jets. Slater at LT and Becton at RT for 10 years.

This will be another defining move for JD. He has to hit on his picks in this draft and provide support for Wilson.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Is Slater THAT much better then being able to get 2 quality starters?

You only make that trade if you value the guy you're going up for as Elite. There are typically only 4-6 Elite non QB prospects per year. You for sure give up two quality non elite players for an elite player. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Miami is. Jets unsure. I think they're just prioritizing good versatile linemen

That's why I think it's a mistake to fall asleep on Cam Clarke. That's why JD picked him last year. Would put no stock in guys that didn't get time last year with the dopes who ran this team. Same with Morgan.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, section314 said:

That's why I think it's a mistake to fall asleep on Cam Clarke. That's why JD picked him last year. Would put no stock in guys that didn't get time last year with the dopes who ran this team. Same with Morgan.

I don’t think it’s sleeping on him, but you’re not banking on him either. It’s a new coaching staff, new scheme, new year. Could he develop into a starter? Yes. A star? Anything’s possible. Or he could be a backup/spot starter (most likely). But if an upgrade is available you’re going to entertain it. 

I think Clark will eventually get a chance to start, possibly this year but more likely next year. It’s very rare for a team to ever have 5 clear-cut starters long-term (4+ years), and I think the Jets goal is to find 3 guys who are entrenched on the line. We have the LT. I think they’ll draft another this year who can be a G or T. Then I think they’ll add their “final piece” next year whether it be in FA (Mike McGlinchey? Braden Smith? Alex Cappa? Ryan Ramcyzk? Jordan Mailata?) or via the draft (Round 1-2). Once those 3 are settled you can basically recycle guys to start in the final 2 spots whether it be cheap veterans like Greg Van Roten or mid-round selections like Cam Clark, and if he develops into a stud then that’s just excellent. Either way they will continue to draft linemen on Day 3 to create a pipeline at those positions, that way if a guy like Clark did prove to be really good, they can let him walk via FA and have a replacement ready if his price tag becomes too rich.

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, football guy said:

I mean I don’t disagree with you in regards to moving up into the top 15;  they wanted to by pairing #23 and Darnold but not sure they’d send #34 away.

As far as trading up a few spots? Absolutely will. Moved up from 25 to 22 in 2019 in order to select Andre Dillard (HOU was taking him at 23). Jets find themselves in a similar situation where a few teams ahead of them are targeting the same players

Pair 23 and next year's 2, and you effectively are pairing 23 & Darnold.  I would think that could get them to 16-18 range if the right guy fell.

• Upvote 1

On 4/9/2021 at 6:07 PM, football guy said:

• Trade up for WR Jaylen Waddle if he falls outside the top 15 (ARI/LV at #16/17) 
  • Trade up a few spots or stay at 23 to select an OL (Teven Jenkins/Alijah Vera-Tucker) or a pass rusher (Jayson Oweh/Jaelan Phillips/Kwity Paye/Azeez Ojulari) (*could potentially swap with CHI/IND at #20/#21 depending how the board shakes out*) 
  • Trade down from 23, select a WR (Kadarius Toney/Terrace Marshall) or CB (Greg Newsome II) 

Could be wrong but don’t think they’ll go CB in round 1; the board would have had to fall a way they didn’t anticipate for that to happen... Another popular one—RB—seems lazy... motivation to get to #8 in trade talks was to put themselves in a position to select TE Kyle Pitts, but I think the other guy they would have taken would have been OL Rashawn Slater or WR Jaylen Waddle; I don’t know if they’re willing to pay draft capital to move up—feels different sending a player vs. a pick—but shouldn’t rule it out with Eagles in total rebuild mode may bite, especially with their eyes on Greg Newsome II... don’t know which pass rusher they like but they’re high on one... don’t see a C or pure interior guy in round 1... to me staying at #23/move up a few spots for Jenkins or AVT seem like the most likely scenarios

I’d love all of these scenarios. Only one you mentioned that scares me is the Jets interest in Ronnie Perkins at 34. 

Perkins Seems undersized, Poor athlete and seems to have a low ceiling for a guy drafted so high. Kinda hoping we avoid Perkins unless he falls. Especially when you consider guys like Phillips or Paye may be avail in the 20’s

Just now, Pennington said:

Have you actually watched him play or do you only watch the Hawkeyes struggle every week.

I don’t care for the Hawkeyes. I care about the first rounder on their OL next year. 

Bad pro day and his sacks coming almost exclusively on the inside reminds me of another ACC DE the Jets drafted in the first round.

8 hours ago, section314 said:

No preseason screwed up chances for rookies to play.. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 4/9/2021 at 3:07 PM, football guy said:

Could be wrong but don’t think they’ll go CB in round 1; the board would have had to fall a way they didn’t anticipate for that to happen... Another popular one—RB—seems lazy... motivation to get to #8 in trade talks was to put themselves in a position to select TE Kyle Pitts, but I think the other guy they would have taken would have been OL Rashawn Slater or WR Jaylen Waddle; I don’t know if they’re willing to pay draft capital to move up—feels different sending a player vs. a pick—but shouldn’t rule it out with Eagles in total rebuild mode may bite, especially with their eyes on Greg Newsome II... don’t know which pass rusher they like but they’re high on one... don’t see a C or pure interior guy in round 1... to me staying at #23/move up a few spots for Jenkins or AVT seem like the most likely scenarios

I'd put the odds as follows for what they do with #23:

Staying put at #23 - 70%

Trading down from #23 - 20%

Trading up from #23 - 10%

If there is a trade up by the Jets I'd expect it to happen from #66, possibly using 86 and 66 to get into the early 50's for either an OL, CB or WR that falls, especially if they did something unexpected earlier like took a LB or some other position that fell to them at #23 or #34 (thinking someone like a Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah who Saleh just can't keep his hands off).

• Upvote 1