2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

2 hours ago, football guy said:

There is a lot of legs to the rumor that Mac Jones will be the 3rd QB off the board to the 49ers, with Daniel Jeremiah the most recent tapped-in football analyst to suggest so.

I haven’t checked on this, but how are the Matt Millers of the world retconning having called Mac Jones an unathletic career-backup fourth rounder up until three days ago? 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, genot said:

Well. It looks like resetting the QB, is the direction we're headed. I've always understood the reasoning behind it. I just thought acquiring more picks in a trade down, and sticking with Darnold was the better approach. I must say, i find myself a little angry and saddened about the way Darnold has been left out they're, for so long without a resolution. Like him, or not. Darniold is a case study on how a young, talented QB, can have his career screwed by an inept organization.

There are 30 million reasons (ie his contract) that we should not have too much sympathy for him.  Worst case scenario, he pockets 30 million before his second contract, learns the Shanahan offense, and is a journeyman back-up in the league where he pockets $20-$30 million, or even more past his first contract.  It’s business.  And he is taken care of for life.  And I like Darnold.  I just think this “we should move him if we draft Wilson” debate doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. You either get the compensation you want or he is a bridge or QB2

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, football guy said:

Hypothetically speaking, lets say SF offered a 2nd to move up one spot, what do the Jets find more valuable?

QB Wilson + trade value for Darnold (I still think at least a 2nd); or 
QB Darnold + trade value for #2 (#3 and #43)

As much as the Jets love Kyle Pitts, I think they would determine that Wilson plus the compensation for Darnold is more valuable than #3 and #43. 

To me a big question is how highly does JD rate Wilson and does he think that Sam is the better prospect. I also look at the fact that Sam wasn't traded when the market for him was at it's highest and I don't believe that Wilson's pro-day workout greatly changed JD's evaluation of Wilson. Which leads me to lean towards JD rolling with Sam and building the foundation of the team around him.

I know it's laughed at here but it wouldn't shock me to see Sewell as the Jets pick.

Anyway, thanks for your info and great posts here.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

SF will get destroyed by the media if they take Mac Jones.  Not that they will care or should care but they will.

Sounds like Wilson is the guy, my #1 choice for this team is still to trade down.

For that you need a willing partner and at this point that ship has sailed IMO..

53 minutes ago, Big_Slick said:

Nothing is locked in yet. If SF really wants Wilson they can still move up to #2 by trading their 2nd round pick.

If Wilson is really so highly rated then it's a possibility that Atlanta makes JD a great deal and JD can still have his choice of any non-QB premium position player. That's if the Jets want to roll with Sam for one more year.

Only JD knows what he's going to and until he trades either Sam or the #2 OA we won't know for sure. We may have to wait until they're on the clock.

Tell San Fran they can move up to 2 and Bosa. Done!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Trying to help his friend increase Darnold’s trade value and sell the Samwagon flat-earther fans that Wilson is a better prospect. 

What amazes me is that these draft analysts ignore what darnold has done in the nfl and blindly refer to his pre draft ranking when rating these qbs against each other.  These guys can tweet what they want, but they’re not running a team where the consequence of say, trading out of 2 and keeping darnold and having him suck when wilson or fields starts out strong is losing your job.  

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I haven’t checked on this, but how are the Matt Millers of the world retconning having called Mac Jones an unathletic career-backup fourth rounder up until three days ago? 

You called Watson maybe a 2nd rd pick people talk out of their butt some times and some much more then others..B)

Odds are this doesn’t happen, but I know I was one of the first people saying this a while back. For a Jets franchise that never gets the QB position right, if darnolds value in a trade is worse than many believe, why can’t we just keep him? Start Wilson, if he struggles or god forbid gets hurt you have Sam. A young backup QB who has starting experience. The Jets could never ever have too much depth at the QB position, if you trade Sam who’s the backup? Morgan? Mullens if still available? I just feel this option gets totally disregarded. 

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

What amazes me is that these draft analysts ignore what darnold has done in the nfl and blindly refer to his pre draft ranking when rating these qbs against each other.  These guys can tweet what they want, but they’re not running a team where the consequence of say, trading out of 2 and keeping darnold and having him suck when wilson or fields starts out strong is losing your job.  

Yup and yes I concede that the miserable organization that resides on One Jets Drive is MOSTLY to blame for Darnold’s current situation.

But who and why is irrelevant at this point. New GM and HC. You got to move on.

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yup and yes I concede that the miserable organization that resides on One Jets Drive is MOSTLY to blame for Darnold’s current situation.

But who and why is irrelevant at this point. New GM and HC. You got to move on.

While the collective incompetence of gms/owners/hc have certainly impacted darnold’s play and development, i still think he was way overhyped coming out of USC and, with the benefit of 3 years of hindsight, always appeared destined for an inconsistent career more known for frustrating mediocrity speckled with moments when you think he could be more.  You can be sure that other nfl teams are looking at his 3 yrs of tape more than guys like Jeremiah when rating him.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Doubt it but noteworthy: 

Again, it isn't a bad strategy.  The line isn't fully developed.  You start Darnold and see if he has anything to show.  If he does, GREAT!  It never hurts having two good QB's.  If he doesn't, you have Wilson sitting in the wings, and as of right now, 4 more picks in the top 100 in 2021, to go along with the at least four picks in the 2021 draft we will have after drafting Wilson.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Just seems dumb to do if you’re taking a QB at 2. 
Then what? You let him walk for nothing next year?

no....you start him.  You see what you have in him.  It isn't a bad thing to see if Darnold can become the QB that almost every expert believed he could be putting him in a system that works best for his skillset.  Worked out for Green Bay to have Rodgers sit a few years, and wouldn't hurt the Jets either.  WORST CASE scenario: Darnold bombs the first six games, the season is lost, and you play both Morgan and Wilson to give them some experience.  You draft high in 2022, you have multiple first round picks again, and you have your starting QB in Wilson.  Darnold gets released.  He might not be worth much now, so what would the difference be?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Again, it isn't a bad strategy.  The line isn't fully developed.  You start Darnold and see if he has anything to show.  If he does, GREAT!  It never hurts having two good QB's.  If he doesn't, you have Wilson sitting in the wings, and as of right now, 4 more picks in the top 100 in 2021, to go along with the at least four picks in the 2021 draft we will have after drafting Wilson.

Was Douglas in Philly when they drafted Wentz? They held on to Sam Bradford and didn’t trade him until preseason games if I remember correctly. Got a ton more value that way, I think the Teddy bridgewater injury led to the Vikings trading a 1 for him. 

29 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Odds are this doesn’t happen, but I know I was one of the first people saying this a while back. For a Jets franchise that never gets the QB position right, if darnolds value in a trade is worse than many believe, why can’t we just keep him? Start Wilson, if he struggles or god forbid gets hurt you have Sam. A young backup QB who has starting experience. The Jets could never ever have too much depth at the QB position, if you trade Sam who’s the backup? Morgan? Mullens if still available? I just feel this option gets totally disregarded. 

I’m confused. If we are to believe JD runs a tight ship with no leaks, then, by default, anything Fowler was told is by design. Therefore, you can infer that the Jets are trying desperately to increase Sam’s trade value by suggesting he’s not necessarily going to just be dumped which means 100% he will be traded to the highest bid eventually.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I don't know if the Jets would want to do that. Here's what I think the starting point is for any trade: 

1. A top 10 pick 
  2. Future 1st round pick(s) 

The only team that I can reasonably see as making a deal for #2 is Carolina, and they were always "the team" who was considered to be the top option for #2 and there was mutual interest early in the process. I don't think Denver has any interest mortgaging future draft capital, and neither did the Eagles. 49ers can no longer offer a future 1st even if they were willing to because they don't have any. Atlanta unlikely to offer a future 1st to move up 2 spots. Couple the info that Carolina still has sites set on Watson/doesn't appeal motivated to mortgage a grandfather offer for #2, and it would seem the Jets are going to role with Wilson. I wouldn't rule out 

Hypothetically speaking, lets say SF offered a 2nd to move up one spot, what do the Jets find more valuable?

QB Wilson + trade value for Darnold (I still think at least a 2nd); or 
QB Darnold + trade value for #2 (#3 and #43)

As much as the Jets love Kyle Pitts, I think they would determine that Wilson plus the compensation for Darnold is more valuable than #3 and #43. 

If the Jets traded down one spot, the phone would be ringing off the hook for #3. That's were the real haul would be.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

I’m confused. If we are to believe JD runs a tight ship with no leaks, then, by default, anything Fowler was told is by design. Therefore, you can infer that the Jets are trying desperately to increase Sam’s trade value by suggesting he’s not necessarily going to just be dumped which means 100% he will be traded to the highest bid eventually.

Or maybe that’s what JD wants us to think and we’ve fallen into his trap!

As the facts bear out it is becoming very clear that what is driving this decision is Joe Douglas philosophy that the only player he will not take calls on is a franchise QB. This was never a mathematical equation weighing both sides of the compensation as @football guyhas been claiming. Once Joe determined he was in love with Wilson and that he is a franchise guy that was the end of it. Albert Breer said It became clear to the 49ers when they were discussing Darnold with the Jets that the 2nd pick was off the table. Joe is just waiting to check those boxes of his physical and then Darnold and only Darnold not the 2nd pick will be up for sale.

• Upvote 2