2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

On 4/13/2021 at 4:22 PM, mrcoops said:

Exactly. I love CBs and would normally be begging for us to pick one at 23.

But the Saleh scheme just doesn't require top-flight man-cover corners.

The Jets seem to like their young guys like Hall,  Austin, Guidry and Jackson - who are all good fits for the scheme.

I'm sure we will add some guys later, but you can find zone corners throughout the draft without needing to spend prime picks on them.

If we go D early, I expect it to be for an edge rusher or mobile off-ball LB.

Yes.  except Lamar is awful.  

I'd like pass rusher too at 23.  Or trade up and get the last WR standing...  Smith, Waddle.

• Thumb Down 1

16 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Yes.  except Lamar is awful.  

I'd like pass rusher too at 23.  Or trade up and get the last WR standing...  Smith, Waddle.

I thought Lamar did OK, for a rookie UDFA thrown out there as a starter in a scheme that wasn't ideal for him.

He's a physical press corner, not a guy who should be running on-on-one with speedy WRs for 40 yards downfield.

I think the new scheme will suit him, and he can be a useful depth piece going forward.

• Upvote 4

23 minutes ago, football guy said:

If Lance falls out of the top 5, everyone thinks the Broncos are going for him. If not, it's Micah Parsons or trade down

Just catching up from the weekend and I see allbright said broncos haven’t spoken to ATL at #4. With the exception to SF, teams are clearly taking a different approach as it pertains to selling the farm for a QB. CAR, DEN, NE all wouldn’t/won’t, so it’s a game of poker... 

5 hours ago, football guy said:
  • Teven Jenkins to the Jets has been popular for a little while now and credit to Tony Pauline who first introduced the scoop. uStadium has mentioned the same, and people in the Jets front office feel like he will be the pick if he's there at 23. 
  • Agents think the 49ers decision genuinely comes down to Trey Lance and Mac Jones. It's not about not liking Fields, it's simply preferring the other options.
  • No one knows what the Falcons are going to ultimately do. The feeling is that Arthur Blank - whose generally a observing, marco-manager type - will ultimately make the call. 
  • People think that Bengals are going Chase no matter what. The reasoning is kind of interesting. Chase's agents have been calm/cool/collected and haven't been trying to "sell" their client, nor have they been overly eager to get him meetings or ask teams to consider him, which kind of says something about the floor they feel like they have.  His agents also represent Ezekiel Elliott, and they gave off the "same vibe" back when DAL selected him 4th. They have a good reputation of supporting their clients and are pretty methodical. And yes, the difference between going 5 and 6 is $1 million, so they care. keeping things close to the vest, and think Chase will be a Bengal FWIW.
  • A very well place source maintains their belief that Micah Parsons will be a Dolphin. Same person told me not to believe the hype around drafting a skill-position player when they were at #3 very early in the process. They don't see Chase or Sewell there so if Pitts goes #4 or #5, I think we'll be in for a surprise. 
  • If Lance falls out of the top 5, everyone thinks the Broncos are going for him. If not, it's Micah Parsons or trade down

Last point do you mean it’s Micah Parsons or trade down for Broncos? 

Over here we have bookies offering 10/1 for Parsons to the Dolphins, might stick £5 on it for some interest on draft night

5 hours ago, football guy said:
  • Teven Jenkins to the Jets has been popular for a little while now
  • I really hope so.
  • Agents think the 49ers decision genuinely comes down to Trey Lance and Mac Jones.0
  • I say it’s Lance.
  • The feeling is that Arthur Blank - whose generally a observing, marco-manager type - will ultimately make the call. 
    If Blank is making the call, it’s gotta be a QB.
  • People think that Bengals are going Chase no matter what.
  • Good pairing with the college duo. But they really need OL to keep Burrow upright. Missing on Thuney was big.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, football guy said:
  • Teven Jenkins to the Jets has been popular for a little while now and credit to Tony Pauline who first introduced the scoop. uStadium has mentioned the same, and people in the Jets front office feel like he will be the pick if he's there at 23. 

Questions - Do you think the Jets would move up from #23 for someone like Jenkins?  If all of Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Vera-Tucker and Jenkins are gone at #23, do the Jets go with a non-OLineman, trade down, or reach for the next OLineman on their list?  I'm seeing more than one mock showing all of those guys gone at 23.

• Agents think the 49ers decision genuinely comes down to Trey Lance and Mac Jones. It's not about not liking Fields, it's simply preferring the other options.
  • No one knows what the Falcons are going to ultimately do. The feeling is that Arthur Blank - whose generally a observing, marco-manager type - will ultimately make the call. 
  • People think that Bengals are going Chase no matter what. The reasoning is kind of interesting. Chase's agents have been calm/cool/collected and haven't been trying to "sell" their client, nor have they been overly eager to get him meetings or ask teams to consider him, which kind of says something about the floor they feel like they have.  His agents also represent Ezekiel Elliott, and they gave off the "same vibe" back when DAL selected him 4th. They have a good reputation of supporting their clients and are pretty methodical. And yes, the difference between going 5 and 6 is $1 million, so they care. keeping things close to the vest, and think Chase will be a Bengal FWIW.

Question - Is this also simply due to the Burrow - Chase connection?  While Chase is certainly worthy of a Top 5 pick I could see a scenario where Atlanta trades out of #4 to a QB needy team (be it Denver, NE, whoever) and where Cincy could potentially go with Pitts or even Sewell as the first non-QB off the board.  In that scenario you now have Miami at #6 and if we take the same reasons people are connecting Chase with Cincy (because of the college QB connection) then Miami could go Waddle or D. Smith.  All of a sudden Chase is still on the board at #7 or even later.  Just one possible scenario I think deserves some probability, even if it's only 25%.

• A very well place source maintains their belief that Micah Parsons will be a Dolphin. Same person told me not to believe the hype around drafting a skill-position player when they were at #3 very early in the process. They don't see Chase or Sewell there so if Pitts goes #4 or #5, I think we'll be in for a surprise. 
  • If Lance falls out of the top 5, everyone thinks the Broncos are going for him. If not, it's Micah Parsons or trade down

19 hours ago, football guy said:

Damn, so I'm guessing Parsons off the field concerns aren't a big deal to NFL teams?

1 hour ago, artemusclyde said:

Damn, so I'm guessing Parsons off the field concerns aren't a big deal to NFL teams?

Oh it is to some, I think.  It will be interesting to see if he goes somewhat lower than expected because of it.  Then again, I've not read the specifics of this particular dom violence history.

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Oh it is to some, I think.  It will be interesting to see if he goes somewhat lower than expected because of it.  Then again, I've not read the specifics of this particular dom violence history.

I think what is very troublesome to teams may be his lack of remorse or admitting what he did. I read comments of his awhile ago where he basically said that he did this stuff when he was a younger kid, and if teams can't see that then he wants no part of their program. That, to me at least, would seal his fate of ever being a part of my organization.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

I can see Belichick drafting Parsons at 15 and trading for Jimmy G

“Classy Patriot Way” Bill has no problem drafting guys like Aaron Hernandez

8 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Did Bengals address the OL at all? Seems crazy to take a WR over an OL. Burrow IMO is good enough to make the guys around him better, as long as he's standing up right.

They did 2 years ago when they drafted Jonah remember?

?

8 hours ago, artemusclyde said:

This is coming from one person so who knows whether they're accurate or not. Personally, I think they're taking Waddle. 

I think Parsons is the type of prospect who some teams will remove him from thought in round 1, and the others who have him on their round 1 board will still have him as a top 12 player. Lions, Broncos, Dolphins, Eagles, Raiders are the teams who all think highly of Parsons game and will consider him in round 1

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

This is coming from one person so who knows whether they're accurate or not. Personally, I think they're taking Waddle. 

I think Parsons is the type of prospect who some teams will remove him from thought in round 1, and the others who have him on their round 1 board will still have him as a top 12 player. Lions, Broncos, Dolphins, Eagles, Raiders are the teams who all think highly of Parsons game and will consider him in round 1

Man that's crazy to me, the thought of a team drafting a non premium position like lb, along with one like Parsons who isn't a great processor, top 10, with his off the field concerns, is pretty wild. And it's not like his off the field concerns are complete hogwash, we at the very least know people who are close to him think he is very immature. That's not even getting into the more serious concerns like him trying to rape his teammates. 

1 hour ago, artemusclyde said:

Man that's crazy to me, the thought of a team drafting a non premium position like lb, along with one like Parsons who isn't a great processor, top 10, with his off the field concerns, is pretty wild. And it's not like his off the field concerns are complete hogwash, we at the very least know people who are close to him think he is very immature. That's not even getting into the more serious concerns like him trying to rape his teammates. 

Yeah I kind of find it hard to believe too, but that's what's out there. 

Here's what my read looks like for the top 12 picks... 

1. JAX - QB Trevor Lawrence 
  2. NYJ - QB Zach Wilson 
  3. SF - QB Mac Jones 
  4. ATL - TE Kyle Pitts
  5. CIN - WR Je'Marr Chase 
  6. MIA - WR Jaylen Waddle 
  7. DEN* - QB Trey Lance 
  8. CAR - CB Jaycee Horn 
  9. PHI* - CB Patrick Surtain 
  10. DAL - OT Penei Sewell 
  11. NYG - DE Azeez Ojulari 
  12. NE* - QB Justin Fields 

Detroit ultimately ends up the biggest players in the trade market, moving down 3 times total. Ultimately, they select Parsons at #15. 

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

2. NYJ - QB Zach Wilson 
  3. SF - QB Mac Jones 
  4. ATL - TE Kyle Pitts
  7. DEN* - QB Trey Lance 
  8. CAR - CB Jaycee Horn 

Detroit ultimately ends up the biggest players in the trade market, moving down 3 times total. Ultimately, they select Parsons at #15. 

Wow.  Carolina passing on Fields and watching him head to NE would be one of the worst things to see happen in NFL history.  

• Upvote 4

I hope and pray the phins are stupid enough to take a LB at 6 with the talent that will be sitting there for them.

I can see the bengals loving chase but they have a couple of good wrs as it is.  Pitts would be a nicer fit there if you ask me.

Atlanta should trade down if they are smart imo.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, football guy said:

2. NYJ - QB Zach Wilson 
  3. SF - QB Mac Jones 
  4. ATL - TE Kyle Pitts
  7. DEN* - QB Trey Lance 
  8. CAR - CB Jaycee Horn 

Jets need to trade up in this scenario for Devonte Smith.

• Sympathy 1

2. NYJ - QB Zach Wilson 
  3. SF - QB Mac Jones 
  4. ATL - TE Kyle Pitts
  7. DEN* - QB Trey Lance 
  8. CAR - CB Jaycee Horn 

Bungles passing on an OT surprises me. They have a good young Corp of receivers with Higgins & Boyd. I think protecting Burrow the biggest need. Could see them trading beck TBH

• Upvote 1

2. NYJ - QB Zach Wilson 
  3. SF - QB Mac Jones 
  4. ATL - TE Kyle Pitts
  7. DEN* - QB Trey Lance 
  8. CAR - CB Jaycee Horn 

Do you have a read on whether the jets are more likely to trade up or back from 23?  If the goal is OL, you’d think douglas would rather trade back and take someone like Humphrey rather than burn picks to move up to take a tackle, yes?

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Aldon Smith signs with the Seahawks on Thursday arrested for 2nd degree assault today.

Whoops!

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Aldon Smith signs with the Seahawks on Thursday arrested for 2nd degree assault today.

Whoops!

These teams never learn with these scum bags.

• Upvote 2

Arizona Cardinals are the prime team to trade up with. They only have a 1st 2nd 5th and two 7th rounders. Plus they match up with us perfectly in two scenarios according to the trade value chart. We can package the 23rd and first 3rd round pick to move up to 16. Another scenario is our two 3rd round picks for their 2nd rounder.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Arizona Cardinals are the prime team to trade up with. They only have a 1st 2nd 5th and two 7th rounders. Plus they match up with us perfectly in two scenarios according to the trade value chart. We can package the 23rd and first 3rd round pick to move up to 16. Another scenario is our two 3rd round picks for their 2nd rounder.

why are we doing this? I'd rather keep the extra picks. To me there isn't much difference between 16 and 23.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Morrissey said:

why are we doing this? I'd rather keep the extra picks. To me there isn't much difference between 16 and 23.

In this draft there might be. In most drafts there are between 10 and 15 "elite" players according to Bill Polian and Gil Brandt. With 5 QBS going in first round we could have an elite player sitting there at 16 that no expected and the cost would not be that high.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetsbb said:

Douglas needs to be aggressive with his capital if a special player falls out of the top 10. You cannot compare a hall of fame WR with a starting guard.

Didn’t know he’s already in the HOF. 

Without an improved OL you can have 5 Jerry Rice’s out there and they’ll just rot. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

In this draft there might be. In most drafts there are between 10 and 15 "elite" players according to Bill Polian and Gil Brandt. With 5 QBS going in first round we could have an elite player sitting there at 16 that no expected and the cost would not be that high.

It also gets us ahead of any run of the top OL. Lots of needy teams in front of us. If we do this, JD needs to trade back at 34 and get that 3rd rounder back. I love the value in  rounds 3-4 this draft.

39 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

It would just depend on if a guy we consider 'prime' falls that far.  It's worth going up to get prime players.  If no one mind blowing falls then you keep the picks of course.  (And by prime I am thinking devonta smith, jaylen waddle type or a rashawn slater type oline.

• Upvote 1