2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's amazing to think that half of the top-20 picks might be QB and OL.  Another 3 at least will be WR.  Plus a TE.  That's 14 of the top-20 on offense at least, with 15 or 16 being easily possible. It could be 8 or 9 of the top 10 on offense as well.

The first DL might not come off the board until the mid-teens.  Has that EVER happened?

Strange year.  

No, it's never happened. and it's bullsh*t. 

Of course when we're in the market for such things as OL, TE, WR etc the draft looks to be pillaged of such like sailors at brothel. Only further reinforces my suspicion that you're gonna see a couple D picks from us day 1-2

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's amazing to think that half of the top-20 picks might be QB and OL.  Another 3 at least will be WR.  Plus a TE.  That's 14 of the top-20 on offense at least, with 15 or 16 being easily possible. It could be 8 or 9 of the top 10 on offense as well.

The first DL might not come off the board until the mid-teens.  Has that EVER happened?

Strange year.  

There might not be a DT taken in the first round at all

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Strange year.  

I expect this to be the trend going forward. NFL GMs are finally catching on that you need to draft QB/OL/WR/CB and Edge early. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Strange year.  

There is just way less tape and info on guys this year. So part of it is GMs going the safe route with OL.

20 hours ago, football guy said:

I think there's a possibility if a player they like is within range that yes, they'll make the jump if the price is right with #20-21 being the sweet spot. If the pass rushers don't fly off the board I can see them holding firm and see who falls to them. 

Gil had Patrick Queen as his #18 player last year, he fell to #28. He had Kenneth Murray at #20, he fell to #23. Schrager had McKinney going #17, Josh Jones going #18, Harrison Bryant going #23 in his mock draft 2.0 last year, and those guys fell to rounds 2, 3, and 4, respectively. 

Gil has a solid grasp on player ranges and Schrager has been pretty accurate in his 3.0 mock (he'll release it next week), but it's not so insurmountable to think that that having Jenkins could fall to #23, even if Gil has him #21 on his board, or Schrager mocking him #18. 

@football guy

Thanks for replies here and the Schrager Mock thread. 

Agree Brandt is more about Player ranges and Schrager obviously isn't perfect. Even in this mock it just seemed a-little off to see the QB's drop a-little and Paye falling so far. 

Good Point on the Colts. They love to trade back. You think it would make sense for us to do that move just to jump Tenn? Our Late 3rd Might get us in Front of the Dolphins who many have taking an Oline player with Jenkins being mocked to them in a recent mock I viewed.  I would think that would be a major target as your jumping potentially 3 teams that need Oline. 

On the Schrager/Peter King youtube interview released yesterday theres a-lot of talk of teams preferring picks next year. Could lead to alot of trade backs perhaps as we are hearing rumors of the Panters, Giants etc. Also it kind of makes me think it be why Douglas was okay getting those Panthers picks next year in the Darnold Trade. 

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, C Mart said:

Good info. She covers Farley, Phillips, Dickinson & Waddle. 

I’d stay away from all but Waddle. 

Phillips will be a super interesting guy to watch on Draft Day.  No doubt he goes later than his talents suggest, but how much later?

Walking into the league having already medically retired from football once, the guy seems to be just one concussion away from having his career end.  And, he's likely more susceptible to a concussion given his history.  We know the compounding effects of head injuries and they're no bueno!

I don't know much about him personally but if football is all this kid has for his future then it seems like he may be trying to get drafted and have one contract / payday.  Hope the best for him but this really seems to be a buyer beware situation.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Phillips will be a super interesting guy to watch on Draft Day.  No doubt he goes later than his talents suggest, but how much later?

Walking into the league having already medically retired from football once, the guy seems to be just one concussion away from having his career end.  And, he's likely more susceptible to a concussion given his history.  We know the compounding effects of head injuries and they're no bueno!

I don't know much about him personally but if football is all this kid has for his future then it seems like he may be trying to get drafted and have one contract / payday.  Hope the best for him but this really seems to be a buyer beware situation.

Agree, too high risk. Would not have him on my board. If we want to take a flier how about Rousseau. He's played very few games, his future is all projection but he seems healthy. Don't buy the roids BS.

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Good Point on the Colts. They love to trade back. You think it would make sense for us to do that move just to jump Tenn? Our Late 3rd Might get us in Front of the Dolphins who many have taking an Oline player with Jenkins being mocked to them in a recent mock I viewed.  I would think that would be a major target as your jumping potentially 3 teams that need Oline. 

I think the 2 we got for Darnold will be in play if we want to move up from 23 to go get an OL.  According to reports, we would have been willing to deal Darnold and 23 to move up in R1.  If we package next year's 2 with 23, we will have effectively done the same thing.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I think the 2 we got for Darnold will be in play if we want to move up from 23 to go get an OL.  According to reports, we would have been willing to deal Darnold and 23 to move up in R1.  If we package next year's 2 with 23, we will have effectively done the same thing.  

If Darnold plays the majority of snaps, that #2 is gonna be worth a lot.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lith said:

I can see douglas moving to 20 to get a RT, using Seattle’s 3rd rounder, and then moving back from 34 to recoup the pick.  If not i think the way the board will shake out is that the value at 23 will be defense, in which case i expect douglas to trade back from 23 and still go defense at the end of round 1.  Then he’d have even more picks to address OL on day 2, starting with pick 34 and i could see him trading back into round 2 at that point.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:11 AM, nycdan said:

Strange year.  

I think either Surtain or Parsons is gone no later than #12.  Yes, this Draft is top-heavy offense but some team will be unable to resist getting the first defender off the board, especially with all this offense coming into the League.

2 hours ago, Jethead said:

Agree, too high risk. Would not have him on my board. If we want to take a flier how about Rousseau. He's played very few games, his future is all projection but he seems healthy. Don't buy the roids BS.

I'd have no problem with Rousseau but it would have to be later, like Round 3 I think (although he's being mocked everywhere from the end of Round 1 to the end of Round 3).  Taking an edge rusher earlier, say at #34, would be fine with me if the Jets had already hit OL at #23 and if the value is there with Edge at 34, like if a guy had slipped a bit.

I could honestly see the Jets trading down from #34 to take an Edge guy like Ronnie Perkins a bit later if they'd hit OL at #23.

Speaking with The Athletic's Bruce Feldman, an anonymous NFL QB coach said that Alabama QB Mac Jones was "substantially better in the interviews" than any other quarterback.

And this coach isn't just a fan of Mac Jones' gray matter. He waxed poetic at length regarding the Bama gunslinger, telling Feldman, "Mac is processing. He’s accurate. He’s layering it. He has pinpoint accuracy and throws with anticipation." The coach also noted one distinction between Jones and BYUI's Zach Wilson: While he called Wilson's arm talent "freaky," that freakiness fails to come with the same awesome accuracy of Jones.

Source: The Athletic
Apr 21, 2021, 12:44 PM ET
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Lith said:

Wow! Credit to him for putting it out there. I'm sure it's required but still..... Anyone know how medication works for epilepsi? Wilson has ADHD and is on meds. Its the world we live in. My old man would slap me in the back of the head and said "stop acting like that"!

Miss that guy!"

On 4/20/2021 at 10:57 AM, IntoTheGreen said:

Jets *hold my beer*...draft another DT at 2 and pass on QB

There's a CBS 3-round mock draft up that is incredibly strange.  It has the Jets taking no offensive linemen and 3 of the 5 picks are on D. ? Not sure what these guys are smoking!

2 - QB Wilson

23 -CB Greg Newsome

34 - RB Travis Etienne

66 - DL Odighizuwa

86 - LB Tony Fields II

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/three-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-trade-with-cowboys-and-land-qb-as-dallas-goes-heavy-on-defense/

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Shockwave said:

@football guy

Agree Brandt is more about Player ranges and Schrager obviously isn't perfect. Even in this mock it just seemed a-little off to see the QB's drop a-little and Paye falling so far. 

On the Schrager/Peter King youtube interview released yesterday theres a-lot of talk of teams preferring picks next year. Could lead to alot of trade backs perhaps as we are hearing rumors of the Panters, Giants etc. Also it kind of makes me think it be why Douglas was okay getting those Panthers picks next year in the Darnold Trade. 

Great watch

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

There's a CBS 3-round mock draft up that is incredibly strange.  It has the Jets taking no offensive linemen and 3 of the 5 picks are on D. ? Not sure what these guys are smoking!

2 - QB Wilson

23 -CB Greg Newsome

34 - RB Travis Etienne

66 - DL Odighizuwa

86 - LB Tony Fields II

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/three-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-trade-with-cowboys-and-land-qb-as-dallas-goes-heavy-on-defense/

too much booger sugar

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

2 - QB Wilson

23 -CB Greg Newsome

34 - RB Travis Etienne

66 - DL Odighizuwa

86 - LB Tony Fields II

Agree.  No idea what some of these guys think

Douglas should be fired 5/1 if another GM goes down the road of ignoring the OL especially after drafting another top 3 QB 

• Upvote 2

2 - QB Wilson

23 -CB Greg Newsome

34 - RB Travis Etienne

66 - DL Odighizuwa

86 - LB Tony Fields II

Disgusted Steve Carell GIF

• Upvote 2

2 - QB Wilson

23 -CB Greg Newsome

34 - RB Travis Etienne

66 - DL Odighizuwa

86 - LB Tony Fields II

Those are the words of witches, demons, and pagan worshippers...clearly.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

2 - QB Wilson

23 -CB Greg Newsome

34 - RB Travis Etienne

66 - DL Odighizuwa

86 - LB Tony Fields II

gross dumb and dumber GIF

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

This is pretty interesting given the old Bill Parcels rules about having lots of experience as a QB in college (I think it used to be close to 1000 snaps?)  Trey Lance is a big risk.

It's the big issue with Lance. 

I love him otherwise. But the number of snaps is a major issue for me. 

34 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

This is pretty interesting given the old Bill Parcels rules about having lots of experience as a QB in college (I think it used to be close to 1000 snaps?)  Trey Lance is a big risk.

Think that’s bad? go check out how many receptions Stephen Hill had at Georgia Tech

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Shockwave said:

@football guy

I think teams will look back and hate this draft when the process is done and over with. They're not going to think too much about it right now, but when it closes, I think they'll privately be saying "they better not put us through this ever again." 

With that, yes, I think future picks carry more weight this year than most years. Not everyone goes by the point value chart and everyone has a variation of it, but I think some teams will look at a "future 1" more like a late current-1 (usually a mid-2)... a "future-2" more like a late current-2 (usually a mid-3)... so on. 

I think the 1st round will be normal for the most part; we'll see 6 or so trades and people will come out feeling 2. I think teams are dreading day 2; just way more uncertainty than usual there. I think some teams will love Day 3, others will absolutely loathe it. One thing is for sure is that we're going to look back and find that a lot more Day 3 picks will go on to be future starters/stars than we're accustomed to

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

Speaking with The Athletic's Bruce Feldman, an anonymous NFL QB coach said that Alabama QB Mac Jones was "substantially better in the interviews" than any other quarterback.

And this coach isn't just a fan of Mac Jones' gray matter. He waxed poetic at length regarding the Bama gunslinger, telling Feldman, "Mac is processing. He’s accurate. He’s layering it. He has pinpoint accuracy and throws with anticipation." The coach also noted one distinction between Jones and BYUI's Zach Wilson: While he called Wilson's arm talent "freaky," that freakiness fails to come with the same awesome accuracy of Jones.

Source: The Athletic
Apr 21, 2021, 12:44 PM ET

I can’t wait for the draft. A month ago I told everyone there was no way NFL teams were going to look past 40 years of QB prototype traits and let Mac Jones slide.