2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

6 hours ago, football guy said:

I think teams will look back and hate this draft when the process is done and over with. They're not going to think too much about it right now, but when it closes, I think they'll privately be saying "they better not put us through this ever again." 

With that, yes, I think future picks carry more weight this year than most years. Not everyone goes by the point value chart and everyone has a variation of it, but I think some teams will look at a "future 1" more like a late current-1 (usually a mid-2)... a "future-2" more like a late current-2 (usually a mid-3)... so on. 

I think the 1st round will be normal for the most part; we'll see 6 or so trades and people will come out feeling 2. I think teams are dreading day 2; just way more uncertainty than usual there. I think some teams will love Day 3, others will absolutely loathe it. One thing is for sure is that we're going to look back and find that a lot more Day 3 picks will go on to be future starters/stars than we're accustomed to

Kinda interesting note on what your saying here. I was watching Tony Pauline last night and he was saying on normal years teams have roughly 125 players give or take. This year many teams are going as high as 175 players on their board bc of how odd the season was and the unknown at the end of the draft. 

Seems like Day 3 might be separating the boys from men this year.

2 hours ago, Shockwave said:

Kinda interesting note on what your saying here. I was watching Tony Pauline last night and he was saying on normal years teams have roughly 125 players give or take. This year many teams are going as high as 175 players on their board bc of how odd the season was and the unknown at the end of the draft. 

Seems like Day 3 might be separating the boys from men this year.

Not surprised. I don’t think the Jets have gone that high but I know they have a “contingency” board, separate from their primary. 

I just think players are bound to fall through the cracks with a shortened season, less access to practice, etc. 

What many casual draft fans don’t understand is that all scouting reports start at practices (traditionally). Scouts spend 1-3 days at a school to watch specific players practice and gather info, then they either attend games or go elsewhere and watch games on film later in the process. So yes, the film trumps all, but I don’t think people understand how much goes into it, and draft media doesn’t shed enough light on it. So I think certain guys who didn’t get enough face-time are going to slip through the cracks... guys that didn’t get invited to the senior bowl and went to schools that didn’t provide much access... guys who were going to play in the E/W shrine game. Surely some guys will get discovered (see Quinn Meirenz), but more than usual won’t, and I think that will result in guys who should go in day 3 but went to bigger, more accessible schools going in day 2 with others falling into day 3

• Upvote 1

It's pretty crazy to see how coaches, execs, and agents differ on they see the how the draft is going to unfolding. 

Most agents say Chase is going to be a Bengal. FO execs are split on what happens at No. 5. Coaches are pretty unanimous that the Bengals "have to" draft an OT. 

This is the story with a number of slots in the top 10, which is kind of interesting. It's pretty much chalk at the top, then a lot of differing opinion (with conviction) in regards to what happens at 4-9. 

45 minutes ago, football guy said:

Not surprised. I don’t think the Jets have gone that high but I know they have a “contingency” board, separate from their primary. 

I just think players are bound to fall through the cracks with a shortened season, less access to practice, etc. 

What many casual draft fans don’t understand is that all scouting reports start at practices (traditionally). Scouts spend 1-3 days at a school to watch specific players practice and gather info, then they either attend games or go elsewhere and watch games on film later in the process. So yes, the film trumps all, but I don’t think people understand how much goes into it, and draft media doesn’t shed enough light on it. So I think certain guys who didn’t get enough face-time are going to slip through the cracks... guys that didn’t get invited to the senior bowl and went to schools that didn’t provide much access... guys who were going to play in the E/W shrine game. Surely some guys will get discovered (see Quinn Meirenz), but more than usual won’t, and I think that will result in guys who should go in day 3 but went to bigger, more accessible schools going in day 2 with others falling into day 3

The UFA period this year could be a bonanza for teams that gave really done their homework. Teams will be signing lots of guys way better than those who were drafted. Hope our guys have done their work.

• Upvote 3

On 4/20/2021 at 8:54 PM, C Mart said:

Good info. She covers Farley, Phillips, Dickinson & Waddle. 

I’d stay away from all but Waddle. 

Based on this info, I'd stay away from these guys in the first and second (other than Waddle) but might consider them later in the draft if they are still around.  These early picks are too valuable to risk on a guy who has a pretty good chance of reinjuring himself.  But a guy who is too risky for a first or high second might become a good risk later on.  Gronk was a good example.

• Upvote 1

It bewilders me when I hear teams have a board of 125 of 175 players.

258 guys get picked in the draft.  Then another 250 or 300 are signed as udfa.

In our recent jets nation mock all of the top 169 players on the list were chosen.

What the hell do you do when there are no players left on your 125 payer board, pick scotty mcknight or taj boyd?

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

It bewilders me when I hear teams have a board of 125 of 175 players.

258 guys get picked in the draft.  Then another 250 or 300 are signed as udfa.

In our recent jets nation mock all of the top 169 players on the list were chosen.

What the hell do you do when there are no players left on your 125 payer board, pick scotty mcknight or taj boyd?

If you’re really lucky, Tom Brady.?

Tennessee's pick carries a lot of significance to us because they have similar needs and draft one spot ahead of the #23 pick. @JustinM_NFL has been superb at tracking visits over the past few years, and he has confirmed the following player visits for Tennessee (limiting it to Day 1-2 prospects, just my pulse where I think guys will go) 

1. DE Azeez Ojulari (Day 1) 
  2. DE Joe Tryon (Day 1) 
  3. LB Zaven Collins (Day 1) 
  4. CB Greg Newsome II (Day 1) 
  5. OT Teven Jenkins (Day 1) 
  6. CB Asante Samuel (Day 1-2) 
  7. DT Levi Onwuzurike (Day 1-2) 
  8. DB Elijah Molden (Day 1-2) 
  9. OL Trey Smith (Day 2) 
  10. WR Rondale Moore (Day 2) 
  11. TE Tommy Tremble (Day 2) 
  12. DE Payton Turner (Day 2) 
  13. WR Anthony Schwartz (Day 2) 
  14. WR Amari Rodgers (Day 2) 

There's a lot out there that Tennessee really likes Teven Jenkins. Personally, I think they would only take him if those top 4 guys are off the board. I don't know this, but just feel like they're not prepared to invest another round 1 resource at RT. They have one of the best lines in the NFL from LT to RG, and I don't think they will want to invest another pick their unless its the absolute best player. Call it a gut feeling, but I think they have a good enough stop-gap options in Kendall Lamm and Ty Sambrailo, and there should be a good depth of OL talent on Day 2. 

As far as edge goes, it's really baron after the top crop. I think they will take one of the top DE/LBs available, or potentially a CB depending on the value there, and if those guys are gone then defer to Teven Jenkins. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

Tennessee's pick carries a lot of significance to us because they have similar needs and draft one spot ahead of the #23 pick. @JustinM_NFL has been superb at tracking visits over the past few years, and he has confirmed the following player visits for Tennessee (limiting it to Day 1-2 prospects, just my pulse where I think guys will go) 

1. DE Azeez Ojulari (Day 1) 
  2. DE Joe Tryon (Day 1) 
  3. LB Zaven Collins (Day 1) 
  4. CB Greg Newsome II (Day 1) 
  5. OT Teven Jenkins (Day 1) 
  6. CB Asante Samuel (Day 1-2) 
  7. DT Levi Onwuzurike (Day 1-2) 
  8. DB Elijah Molden (Day 1-2) 
  9. OL Trey Smith (Day 2) 
  10. WR Rondale Moore (Day 2) 
  11. TE Tommy Tremble (Day 2) 
  12. DE Payton Turner (Day 2) 
  13. WR Anthony Schwartz (Day 2) 
  14. WR Amari Rodgers (Day 2) 

There's a lot out there that Tennessee really likes Teven Jenkins. Personally, I think they would only take him if those top 4 guys are off the board. I don't know this, but just feel like they're not prepared to invest another round 1 resource at RT. They have one of the best lines in the NFL from LT to RG, and I don't think they will want to invest another pick their unless its the absolute best player. Call it a gut feeling, but I think they have a good enough stop-gap options in Kendall Lamm and Ty Sambrailo, and there should be a good depth of OL talent on Day 2. 

As far as edge goes, it's really baron after the top crop. I think they will take one of the top DE/LBs available, or potentially a CB depending on the value there, and if those guys are gone then defer to Teven Jenkins. 

Any sense if the jets would jump these guys to go to 20 to get him?

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Any sense if the jets would jump these guys to go to 20 to get him?

I don't know if for him specifically but I've been saying for a while now that I absolutely think the Jets would jump up a few slots to get a guy. I think the plans of making a big jump are dead unless Rashawn Slater falls to 12, and I'm not so sure that happens. Otherwise, yes, I can see them moving up into the 17-21 range if they love a guy and feel the board may not fall how they want it to. That's the key. Last year, the Jets had discussions to move up to #7 for Becton. When they went DT they gambled, and felt that one of their top 3 guys would be there at 11. Sure enough, their top OT fell into their lap at 11... much of it is reading the board and making a gut call. If they see a big gap between Teven Jenkins and the next guy, they'll get aggressive. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don't know if for him specifically but I've been saying for a while now that I absolutely think the Jets would jump up a few slots to get a guy. I think the plans of making a big jump are dead unless Rashawn Slater falls to 12, and I'm not so sure that happens. Otherwise, yes, I can see them moving up into the 17-21 range if they love a guy and feel the board may not fall how they want it to. That's the key. Last year, the Jets had discussions to move up to #7 for Becton. When they went DT they gambled, and felt that one of their top 3 guys would be there at 11. Sure enough, their top OT fell into their lap at 11... much of it is reading the board and making a gut call. If they see a big gap between Teven Jenkins and the next guy, they'll get aggressive. 

Good to hear.  Also think that if they do move up they’d move back fro 34 to get a pick or two back.  

• Upvote 1

Potentially significant news on Terrace Marshall Jr

I saw today that his medical “popped up” with some issues.  If you remember a couple months ago, I shared that an LSU contact let me know his decision to bow out half way last year was also related to a leg injury that wasn’t disclosed but was a concern. “We’ll see” was what I was told relative to how clean his medicals would be.. well you have your answer. 

could be in for a slide. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Seems to me if we want Teven or Vera Tucker we will have to trade up and I am OK with that.

Wouldn’t you want to know what you would have to give up first? Saying you’re OK moving up with either of these two seems a bit misguided. How far would you be willing to trade up? Three pics, five pics?

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

Wouldn’t you want to know what you would have to give up first? Saying you’re OK moving up with either of these two seems a bit misguided. How far would you be willing to trade up? Three pics, five pics?

Id pay the 23 and one of the thirds to move up 3/4 spots for Vera-Tucker

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I would prefer out third and 23, but I would consider using the 2 we got for Darnold next year as well. An elite OL does so much for this team and as it looks we might be in a shaky position to got a top tier one

19 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Jet said:

Id pay the 23 and one of the thirds to move up 3/4 spots for Vera-Tucker

I might as well.

Was really hoping to land either AVT or Jenkins at #23, but that seems like a 40% chance at best right now.  It just feels like at 23 and 34 the Jets are in a spot where those picks are too late for the Top 5 OLinemen but also a bit too early for the next group (maybe Humphrey at 34).  But I see the other RT candidates (and guys who seem like potential moves to OG) like Radunz, Eichenberg, Little, etc. as reaches at #34.  I'd want to trade down into the 40's for them.

It's starting to smell like JD might do something that will enrage a lot of folks here and, if those top OL are gone, he goes Defense at #23 with an Edge rusher or even an OLB.

39 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

A lot of talk that Devonta Smith may slide after his weight was revealed. Along with Slater he’s the one guy I’d target if we were looking to trade to the 10-15 range. 

Doubt he gets out of the top 10 though. He’s too good.

The 166 lbs weigh in does indeed calibrate expectations in terms of he won't be "Braylon Edward'ing" his way into the endzone, but if 22 teams are dumb enough to pass on the best talent at WR in this draft, then Joe is dead to me if he does as well... DS is the craftiest, smoothest natural talent at the position... he's up there with D-Hop and K-Allen as far as just "pure WR" goes. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

The 166 lbs weigh in does indeed calibrate expectations in terms of he won't be "Braylon Edward'ing" his way into the endzone, but if 22 teams are dumb enough to pass on the best talent at WR in this draft, then Joe is dead to me if he does as well... DS is the craftiest, smoothest natural talent at the position... he's up there with D-Hop and K-Allen as far as just "pure WR" goes. 

They’ve tried like hell to put a few pounds on that kid, he must have a ridiculously high metabolism.   I know the record isn’t great for highly drafted receivers under 180 pounds, but Smith will be the outlier to that stat.   I still can’t see him sliding out of the top 15.    

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

They’ve tried like hell to put a few pounds on that kid, he must have a ridiculously high metabolism.   I know the record isn’t great for highly drafted receivers under 180 pounds, but Smith will be the outlier to that stat.   I still can’t see him sliding out of the top 15.    

Imagine eating as much as he is right now and gaining nothing. Lol. The btu’s emitted must be legendary. But it also bodes well for his physical health long term. 

i don’t like banking on outliers but wouldn’t bat an eye in his case. GMs take bigger chances on lesser receivers annually. 

• Upvote 1

I don;t give a sh*t if Devonta weighs 166 vs 180.

If we were back in the days of haynes and tatum yes but you cannot break wr's any more.

Our 1st pick wr,  last year, big, 6'3" 207 missed half a season with a hamstring.

Smith is not going to be asked to o get clobbered by ILBS too often and he is slippery enough not to.

(Wayne gretzky was going to get killed in the NHL if I recall....)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I don;t give a sh*t if Devonta weighs 166 vs 180.

If we were back in the days of haynes and tatum yes but you cannot break wr's any more.

Our 1st pick wr,  last year, big, 6'3" 207 missed half a season with a hamstring.

Smith is not going to be asked to o get clobbered by ILBS too often and he is slippery enough not to.

(Wayne gretzky was going to get killed in the NHL if I recall....)

Who’s our Dave Semenko??

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, football guy said:

I think Arizona is the Sweet Spot. They only have like  a 1,2,5 and 7 this year. Their needs (CB/WR) can prob get addressed at our spot. 

We would be jumping 

Vegas - Traded away all their lineman. Needs RT. 

Miami - Needs Lineman (Prob C though)

Washington - Needs LT. Big Need. 

Chicago - Has no starting tackles signed for next year. 

Indi - Needs LT. 

Tenn - Needs Line. Prob take D though as you mentioned.

Defense kind of just sucks at top this year minus a few guys. On top of D sucking they have a few injured guys that could slip( Phillips/Farley) and Tweeners (Collins, Owusu-Koamuruh) that also could slip to after our spot. 

It's getting harder to see any of the top lineman falling to us. I see this as a year Douglas gets aggressive and moves up (Like the Dillard move) or we might as well move down. After the top Oline and top few CB the guys available at 23 seems really similar to guys in the 30's. 

If Mac was still here he would just stay put even if these tackles were gone and take BPA. Pretty Happy knowing Douglas will move around as needed. I'd be pretty surprised if we stayed at 23 at this point. 

• Upvote 2

On 4/21/2021 at 4:32 PM, jetstream23 said:

There's a CBS 3-round mock draft up that is incredibly strange.  It has the Jets taking no offensive linemen and 3 of the 5 picks are on D. ? Not sure what these guys are smoking!

2 - QB Wilson

23 -CB Greg Newsome

34 - RB Travis Etienne

66 - DL Odighizuwa

86 - LB Tony Fields II

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/three-round-2021-nfl-mock-draft-patriots-trade-with-cowboys-and-land-qb-as-dallas-goes-heavy-on-defense/

Yeah, IMO it's what a lot of the NFL reporters are doing when they really don't know all that much about the draft.

Go on one of these simulation mock draft sites, and take the best suggested player available.

• Upvote 1

• Oklahoma State OL Teven Jenkins and RB Chuba Hubbard are two others who’ve slid. There are concerns over Jenkins’s injury history (back) and makeup, and Hubbard’s a back whose calling card, lacking elusiveness, was speed, and he only ran in the 4.5s.

On Teven Jenkins: teams have questioned the mid-season opt-out (he attributed it to playing through a hip-injury) and skipping the Senior Bowl. His detailed reasoning for both would be interesting to know, especially the Senior Bowl (the hip injury couldn't have been that severe if he was playing through it), but I would think teams who like him are not putting too much into this considering he arrived at the pro-day in the best shape of his life and gives 110% effort on tape. 

Ultimately, I think Albert Breer is just trying to do his friend Joe Douglas a favor with this blurb lol

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Could JD be preparing to make a big move?

This would put me back into full rage mode.  A lot of people wanted to draft orlando brown when he fell in the 2018 draft, we had a huge need, the player was there and El stupido McCagnan took Nathan Sheppard over both Orlando brown and Mark Andrews.

• Upvote 1