2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

Edge is absolutely a legitimate long-term need. Think they can make it work for this year.

This year’s class is pretty much athletes who haven’t produced, lots of dart throws. Taking out Phillips who medically retired due to concussion issues which obviously presents its own risks and Rousseau who had one year of production, sat the year, and tested poorly.

Some day two or maybe even day three guys from smaller name schools who tested well, maybe an injury. Three team captains in the group (Turner, Basham, Odeyingbo). Plus Northern Iowa’s Smith who tested like a freak.

Next year’s class looks really good early, too, and the Jets have two first round picks.

Wouldn’t blame Douglas if he loves a guy and if he does then Paye seems interesting (freak athlete who played out of position and also a team captain) but I see a whole lot of reasons not to just roll the dice on an athletic edge at 23 before even getting to the need to support the #2 pick.

That and if Douglas literally invests nothing else in the DL they can roll out the following ten roster guys: Williams and Rankins starting at DT with Fatukasi and Shepherd backing them up, Lawson and Curry at DE with Hall and Zuniga backing them up, and Franklin-Myers and Phillips as swing guys who absolutely deserve snaps. I think Hall is the only roster bubble guy in the entire group. Could certainly use an edge and they need to figure out what’s happening behind Williams and Rankins on the interior next year but that DL is strong.

9 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

If the draft goes the way most of these mocks are saying, I think you’re right 

the value will be defense at 23

Really hoping he trades up

I honestly think Douglas trades up from #23 to land an OL and then ends up moving down from #34 to recoup a couple of picks, be they this year or in 2022.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Marshmello said:

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Not surprising.   I think he could be a legit target for JD at 34 if he is there.  

I will break my ******* tv if we select a LB in our first three picks, 

Saw this on Walterfootball too... can you imagine picking two LBs in our top 6 this year? 

20210423_140051.thumb.jpg.c9812ff9841f191a743757252983d458.jpg

Post-Orlando Brown, BAL now has the #27 and #31 pick in the draft... and everyone thinks they're going to take a WR (which to me is a little puzzling, with Hollywood Brown, Devin Duvernay and Miles Boykin)...

Point being: could impact who/what JD is thinking at #34... I believe somewhere between #23-#34-#66 we're taking a playmaker. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Post-Orlando Brown, BAL now has the #27 and #31 pick in the draft... and everyone thinks they're going to take a WR (which to me is a little puzzling, with Hollywood Brown, Devin Duvernay and Miles Boykin)...

Point being: could impact who/what JD is thinking at #34... I believe somewhere between #23-#34-#66 we're taking a playmaker. 

Who would be your choice playmaker in the between the bottom of the 1st and to of the 3rd?

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

I will break my ******* tv if we select a LB in our first three picks, 

Saw this on Walterfootball too... can you imagine picking two LBs in our top 6 this year? 

20210423_140051.thumb.jpg.c9812ff9841f191a743757252983d458.jpg

I mean, WalterFootball is bad. Perkins wouldn't be an OLB in this scheme, Harris isn't a great zone fit and ZBS teams really haven't historically drafted RB's that early...

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Baltimore's just going to keep doing their thing and plucking good values. Everyone thinks they're going to go WR all the time. Maybe this is when it happens.

I could be wrong but I'm skeptical they go playmaker that early. I don't see anyone in the WR class who's going to be there at #23 (or later) who is enough of a lock to crack WR snaps ahead of Mims or Cole, let alone Davis or Crowder, to justify taking that high. Schematically they're probably only running 3+ wide on 50%ish of snaps so even the slot role isn't a huge, important role to fill. And in the ZBS I don't think they're going to take a RB that high - I suppose that's the sleeper pick but I think it'd be a huge mistake.

Just my opinion, but I think this offensive draft is all going to be about setting up the run game while sprinkling in a little athletic upside. One or two long-term starters on the OL (C/G versatility and maybe G/T versatility - there are too many guys to list), either a long-term starter at TE or a #2 with upside to become that guy (hello Tommy Tremble, maybe Freiermuth but I think Tremble is perfect), a fullback (Ben Mason?), and a fast day 3 WR who can create a little on the 50% of snaps they have a third receiver on the field (Marquez Stevenson?). Maybe a late round pick on a sleeper ZBS fit with wheels at running back.

I think there's a good enough chance that Davis and Mims are the guys who eat up snaps at WR that this isn't the time yet to spend serious draft capital on someone that's going to be stuck behind them in the 2 WR sets they're going to run so much of for three years. Of course, that's based on what GB/SF do and SF and GB have had totally different WR prototypes (Jets have been more GB so far - a hybrid would be cool) so it's absolutely within the realm of possibility that the Jets decide not to use a fullback and that third receiver is a thing. Wouldn't be my guess but it's possible.

But if that's what they're doing, I think Crowder and Cole give the QB enough support that you can see how much of a thing Mims is this year and attack it next year if needed but leave it be if not. That day three guy with wheels still gives you the explosiveness element but without over-investing there. And if that's what they're doing the FB is shadily important and could be a reach pick (Mason's the best in this draft - fits Douglas' day 3 captain mojo too). Tight end is still a big hole and kind of half addressing it this year is fine because they can always go after it next year if need be (maybe your guy Wydermyer). Also possible Tremble (or maybe Wesco) gets that FB role. I'd like to see Tremble get a shot at TE though.

The other benefit to that approach is that in an offense that's so heavily based off of playaction and on a team that's trying to develop a young QB - just make the run game good. Take pressure off your young guy, run behind your best offensive player. Have that groundwork set up, be good at running the ball this year, figure out who the running back is. Then solve the other bells and whistles you need (running back, wide receiver) next year as a team with an established run game including the ancillary pieces.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

35 minutes ago, derp said:

I mean, WalterFootball is bad. Perkins wouldn't be an OLB in this scheme, Harris isn't a great zone fit and ZBS teams really haven't historically drafted RB's that early...

really bad.  Comparatively to the others, Walter is way off.  Pretty bad when PFF is better than you.  

52 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Duvernay has some promise the other guys stink.  And I don;t think this is all on Lamar, he seems to get the ball to Andrews just fine.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

From Jason Laconfora:

I keep hearing all things being relatively equal, the Jets will be going pass-rush potential with the 24th pick, which shouldn't come as a surprise. It's been a need seemingly for a decade and though this draft has few sure things when it comes to that, New York seems ready to bite. If Azeez Ojulari is still on the board, I'd mock him here.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-executive-gives-take-on-how-top-10-will-unfold-and-is-convinced-this-qb-is-headed-to-49ers/

You’d think a professional reporter would know that we pick 23rd but LaCanfora gonna LaCanfora.

On 4/22/2021 at 2:08 PM, Paradis said:

The 166 lbs weigh in does indeed calibrate expectations in terms of he won't be "Braylon Edward'ing" his way into the endzone, but if 22 teams are dumb enough to pass on the best talent at WR in this draft, then Joe is dead to me if he does as well... DS is the craftiest, smoothest natural talent at the position... he's up there with D-Hop and K-Allen as far as just "pure WR" goes. 

He won’t slide to us, but would you trade up this year third  and Darnolds second for him?

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Duvernay has some promise the other guys stink.  And I don;t think this is all on Lamar, he seems to get the ball to Andrews just fine.

I've argued with Ravens fans that if you can't get it done with Lamar/Dobbins/Brown/Andrews/Duvernay - go home. Drafting Bateman at #27 isn't going to save the offense. They need to work on play design or something. It's not like Lamar is THAT bad, but you need mold the passing game to his strengths.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2021 at 11:29 AM, Irish Jet said:

A lot of talk that Devonta Smith may slide after his weight was revealed. Along with Slater he’s the one guy I’d target if we were looking to trade to the 10-15 range. 

Doubt he gets out of the top 10 though. He’s too good.

Wasn’t Santana Moss a similar size to Devonta Smith?