Jump to content

2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think they would play Tommy Tremble at FB, and while 3rd round feels high for one they would use him in the Juszczyk role with the potential to develop into a “move” TE. 

Pat Freiermuth would be more of a traditional inline TE who would back up Chris Herndon this year and become the starter in 2022, with Herndon leaving in FA. 
 

Reason why I bring this up is because Jets have engaged Freiermuth a lot throughout the process. Very much a Joe Douglas guy

I don’t like it. I get they are TE in name and would have different roles but I think they really should target an electric playmaker. You’d have to use the 2nd rounder to get freirmuth. I’d rather take a weapon like Toney or one of the Moore. Hell if Najee or Etienne slip I’d rather one of them.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh man, @joewilly12 is gonna poop his depends.

I'm getting a little sick of seeing 100 different topics being created to discuss pretty much the same thing, so I figured make a thread where it can all go down in one spot, separate from the FA thre

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Those guys would be a total disaster. Rousseau is a huge bust waiting to happen. He looked like he was running through molasses at his pro day. His sacks were not 1 on 1 wins, he cleaned up the garbage.

Farley is one hit away from being dee milliner. 

I HATE BOTH.

There goes any possible love I had for a Farley pick.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I've actually done that a couple of times in mocks. I think it could be a very good move, with Tremble playing more of a FB/H-back role and Freiermuth as the TE.

Do you think that's a legit possibility?

I’d rather draft Ben Mason the Michigan FB in the 6th rd .

nobody drafts FBs  much anymore and with a 6’3 256 lb FB with pretty good speed there, I think Jets can get him  and not hve to use a high pick for an H- Back type.

he was signed by Mich as a Linebacker.  He was a top HS athlete, 4 stars and they were loaded at ILB so they moved him to FB to get him on the field.

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

There goes any possible love I had for a Farley pick.

How many cases of herniated discs returning to their pre-herniation, 100% healthy state have you heard of?

This is like praying the degenerative condition in Dewayne Robertson’s knees would heal.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2021 at 8:41 AM, Morrissey said:

Brady Christensen got blown off the ball vs Coastal Carolina.

yep, Jeffrey Gunter  beat him like a dog all night.  Really don't want Christensen.  If they were to bring in a BYU player in the 5th- 6th round  I'd be OK  with Dax Milne.  Interesting the 9ers just interviewed him.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, flgreen said:

yep, Jeffrey Gunter  beat him like a dog all night.  Really don't want Christensen.  If they were to bring in a BYU player in the 5th- 6th round  I'd be OK  with Dax Milne.  Interesting the 9ers just interviewed him.  

Doing their last homework before they swap picks with us.😁

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Those guys would be a total disaster. Rousseau is a huge bust waiting to happen. He looked like he was running through molasses at his pro day. His sacks were not 1 on 1 wins, he cleaned up the garbage.

Farley is one hit away from being dee milliner. 

I HATE BOTH.

Hahahahaha. I don’t disagree, I think they are sink or swim players. Farley intrigues me more though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites


 

Jets Notes: Mosley, Draft Plans, Hoyer

April 25th, 2021 at 11:49am CST •
logo image

By Rory Parks

The Jets reportedly received trade callson linebacker C.J. Mosley this offseason, and Rich Cimini of ESPN.com says Mosley remains a trade candidate. As Randy Lange of the team’s official websitewrites, new head coach Robert Salehrecently offered high praise for Mosley, calling him a tremendous leader and player. Saleh also said Mosley is good enough to thrive in any system, including the 4-3 scheme that Saleh plans to implement (Mosley has not played in a 4-3 since he turned pro).

But New York did sign Jarrad Davis in free agency, and the team has been speculatively linked to high-end linebackers in the draft, like Notre Dame’s Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. If GM Joe Douglas does select an LB with a Day 1 or Day 2 choice, that could make a Mosley trade more likely (though obviously the return on such a trade would be minimal given Mosley’s contract and the fact that he has played all of two games in the last two years).

Now for more notes on the Jets:

  • Although Gang Green is going to select QB Zach Wilson with the No. 2 overall pick, there is plenty of uncertainty as to what the club will do with the No. 23 overall selection. Cimini believes the team will ultimately go with a player to help Wilson, whether that’s an offensive lineman or a wide receiver. If that’s how Douglas is leaning, he might need to trade up to get the prospect he wants, and Connor Hughes of The Athletic tweets that Douglas has already done the “groundwork” on a potential move up the board.
  • Cornerback also profiles as a major need for the Jets, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see them use the No. 23 pick or another early selection on a CB. According to Cimini, the club is intrigued by Syracuse corner Ifeatu Melifonwu, who looks like a second- or third-round talent. If the team doesn’t get a slot corner at some point in the draft, Hughes says the team could look to re-sign Brian Poole, whose 2020 season was cut short by injury but who has played well in his two seasons in the Meadowlands.
  • If the Jets don’t go with an offensive lineman with their second first-round choice, Hughes expects them to grab one with the No. 34 pick, and he also thinks they could pick up another blocker with one of their two third-round selections.
  • New York brought in veteran QB Brian Hoyer for a visit earlier this month, and he looks like an ideal backup/mentor for Wilson. Hughes reports that the team is likely to commence contract talks with the 35-year-old signal-caller after the draft.
  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, section314 said:

Doing their last homework before they swap picks with us.😁

I'm 99% sure Jets are taking Wilson.  The 9ers sitting at 3 is my one fear.  Didn't like it much when they interviewed Milne.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, football guy said:

I don’t think that suggests such. I also don’t know where Freiermuth is a target (guessing 34-66?), but I could see them favoring the offense in this draft regardless

If it’s TEs over OL? I’d hate it. OL has to be one of the first 3 picks. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, football guy said:

 

I'm really, really confident the Jets expect to come out of Thursday night with a QB and an OL. Whether that happens for sure is impossible to say, but Douglas made it clear internally that they're shifting focus towards building the OL after they traded Darnold. If they don't land an OL in round 1, they most certainly will target players in Day 2

If you had to put chances on the jets staying at 23, moving up or back, what would you estimate?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That hit me in the feels.  He's one of my favorite Hawkeyes in recent memory.  We rarely get non TE playmakers like him. 

I actually like the kid a good bit , and think he'll fit well with Wilson.    Being projected in the 3rd.  IMO a bit high.  Also there's that DWI.

If he lasts till the 4th I'd take him, and hope he's not Marvin McNutt.  :) 

  • Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm really, really confident the Jets expect to come out of Thursday night with a QB and an OL. Whether that happens for sure is impossible to say, but Douglas made it clear internally that they're shifting focus towards building the OL after they traded Darnold. If they don't land an OL in round 1, they most certainly will target players in Day 2

Having the second pick on day two is pretty exciting. It’s always interesting with this new draft format as the first night ends and looking at the board of available players.  The inevitable group of a few guys who slipped out of Rd 1 will make for some fun discussions here in the day leading up to rounds 2 and 3.

If a couple of guys who were expected to go in the 20s are still available heading into Day 2 then I bet Joe Douglas’s phone will be ringing with some trade opportunities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, football guy said:

 

I'm really, really confident the Jets expect to come out of Thursday night with a QB and an OL. Whether that happens for sure is impossible to say, but Douglas made it clear internally that they're shifting focus towards building the OL after they traded Darnold. If they don't land an OL in round 1, they most certainly will target players in Day 2

I'd be fine if they trade up for Smith or Waddle and get their OL on Friday night. Prefer it actually.

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Having the second pick on day two is pretty exciting. It’s always interesting with this new draft format as the first night ends and looking at the board of available players.  The inevitable group of a few guys who slipped out of Rd 1 will make for some fun discussions here in the day leading up to rounds 2 and 3.

If a couple of guys who were expected to go in the 20s are still available heading into Day 2 then I bet Joe Douglas’s phone will be ringing with some trade opportunities.

I have been thinking this for a while.  Those top few picks of the 2nd round will have GMs drooling over someone they love falling out of the 1st round. Will be a valuable pick.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I actually like the kid a good bit , and think he'll fit well with Wilson.    Being projected in the 3rd.  IMO a bit high.  Also there's that DWI.

If he lasts till the 4th I'd take him, and hope he's not Marvin McNutt.  :) 

I really liked McNutt. Reminded me of Plaxico 😢 Oh well...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, football guy said:

 

I'm really, really confident the Jets expect to come out of Thursday night with a QB and an OL. Whether that happens for sure is impossible to say, but Douglas made it clear internally that they're shifting focus towards building the OL after they traded Darnold. If they don't land an OL in round 1, they most certainly will target players in Day 2

What was their focus before?! 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That hit me in the feels.  He's one of my favorite Hawkeyes in recent memory.  We rarely get non TE playmakers like him. 

Admittedly very small sample size but your QB doesn’t look too shabby!

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Moseley is a dog. He played the Jets like a fiddle . Ship his ass out of town.

And now he’s about to get exposed playing in a 4-3

  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

How many cases of herniated discs returning to their pre-herniation, 100% healthy state have you heard of?

This is like praying the degenerative condition in Dewayne Robertson’s knees would heal.

Or Wilson’s shoulders will hold up in the NFL

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, football guy said:

I think they would play Tommy Tremble at FB, and while 3rd round feels high for one they would use him in the Juszczyk role with the potential to develop into a “move” TE. 

Pat Freiermuth would be more of a traditional inline TE who would back up Chris Herndon this year and become the starter in 2022, with Herndon leaving in FA. 
 

Reason why I bring this up is because Jets have engaged Freiermuth a lot throughout the process. Very much a Joe Douglas guy

I've been drafting Freiermuth frequently in simulations.  Due to the importance that the TE will be in LaFleur's  WCO offense.  He has good playmaking ability and is a solid blocker.  TE's don't usually give you big production in year one.  But do break out in years 2-3.  Herndon is gone after this year.  Jets should want to have a productive receiver type of TE in place now.   To start developing good chemistry with the rookie QB.  And become a weapon for this offense over the next 4 years.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

I've been drafting Freiermuth frequently in simulations.  Due to the importance that the TE will be in LaFleur's  WCO offense.  He has good playmaking ability and is a solid blocker.  TE's don't usually give you big production in year one.  But do break out in years 2-3.  Herndon is gone after this year.  Jets should want to have a productive receiver type of TE in place now.   To start developing good chemistry with the rookie QB.  And become a weapon for this offense over the next 4 years.  

Herndon sucks, so i can see why they’d rather not have him in there.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Paradis “Modus Operandi”

Im uncertain if West Coast runs out of 2 TE sets often enough. 

Tremble as H-back is interesting. We need a player similar to Juszcyzik  

 

Fixed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, football guy said:

 

I'm really, really confident the Jets expect to come out of Thursday night with a QB and an OL. Whether that happens for sure is impossible to say, but Douglas made it clear internally that they're shifting focus towards building the OL after they traded Darnold. If they don't land an OL in round 1, they most certainly will target players in Day 2

@football guyWhats your thoughts on AVT or Jenkins being our RT next year? 

I am honestly not an expert on arm length but I keep reading these guys may be kicked inside because of it. Jenkins seems on the borderline (33.5) where as AVT has 32 1/8. AVT playing tackle at that length would certainly be an outlier in the NFL. 

So Lets say you see these guys as guards is it really worth it to move up for one? I had AVT going higher then Jenkins this whole time. I have seen him mocked to the chargers to play LT. But if hes truly looked at like a guard who is taking him before us? I would think theres a chance Jenkins may go before him assuming hes looked at like a RT(Although Breer mentioned hes dropping bc of Back issues?). Perhaps AVT falls right to us at 23. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

@football guyWhats your thoughts on AVT or Jenkins being our RT next year? 

I am honestly not an expert on arm length but I keep reading these guys may be kicked inside because of it. Jenkins seems on the borderline (33.5) where as AVT has 32 1/8. AVT playing tackle at that length would certainly be an outlier in the NFL. 

So Lets say you see these guys as guards is it really worth it to move up for one? I had AVT going higher then Jenkins this whole time. I have seen him mocked to the chargers to play LT. But if hes truly looked at like a guard who is taking him before us? I would think theres a chance Jenkins may go before him assuming hes looked at like a RT(Although Breer mentioned hes dropping bc of Back issues?). Perhaps AVT falls right to us at 23. 

I personally don't see AVT as an OT (take that for whatever it's worth). He holds his own, but you can tell it's a struggle and he gets pushed back a lot. I think Jenkins can handle the right side and has the demeanor for it too. I still like the idea of moving him inside for the year and taking over RT after Fants contract is up (assuming he is cut).

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Fant will be the RT regardless of who the Jets draft. He fits really well into the wide zone scheme bc of his movement skills. 

Don't be shocked if the Jets make a move for Ertz if they don't get aTE in the first 2 days. A 6th and the Panthers 4th next year would probably get it done at this point. I also wouldn't be shocked to see an Ertz/Herndon swap with a minor pick also going to the Eagles. Just my 2 cents

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

If you had to put chances on the jets staying at 23, moving up or back, what would you estimate?

I think they're going to move up or stay back. Hard to say without knowing what happens in the top 15

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Having the second pick on day two is pretty exciting. It’s always interesting with this new draft format as the first night ends and looking at the board of available players.  The inevitable group of a few guys who slipped out of Rd 1 will make for some fun discussions here in the day leading up to rounds 2 and 3.

If a couple of guys who were expected to go in the 20s are still available heading into Day 2 then I bet Joe Douglas’s phone will be ringing with some trade opportunities.

There's a lot of different scenarios that can play out. I think move up from 23 and down from 34 is one they'll be prepared to engage in. I think they can stay at all 3, especially if guys with round 1 grades fall to each pick. 

4 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

What was their focus before?! 

Point was everyone was so focused on the QB decision

3 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

I've been drafting Freiermuth frequently in simulations.  Due to the importance that the TE will be in LaFleur's  WCO offense.  He has good playmaking ability and is a solid blocker.  TE's don't usually give you big production in year one.  But do break out in years 2-3.  Herndon is gone after this year.  Jets should want to have a productive receiver type of TE in place now.   To start developing good chemistry with the rookie QB.  And become a weapon for this offense over the next 4 years.  

Just from a personal perspective, I've kind of seen him as a Jets target for a while now too. I obviously didn't expect us to be so bad, but when I was looking at the 2021 class last summer I kind of saw him and Devonta Smith as 2 of our 1st round options. He checks all the boxes this administration looks for and I couldn't help but see the similarities between he and Dallas Goedert on tape

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

@football guyWhats your thoughts on AVT or Jenkins being our RT next year? 

I am honestly not an expert on arm length but I keep reading these guys may be kicked inside because of it. Jenkins seems on the borderline (33.5) where as AVT has 32 1/8. AVT playing tackle at that length would certainly be an outlier in the NFL. 

So Lets say you see these guys as guards is it really worth it to move up for one? I had AVT going higher then Jenkins this whole time. I have seen him mocked to the chargers to play LT. But if hes truly looked at like a guard who is taking him before us? I would think theres a chance Jenkins may go before him assuming hes looked at like a RT(Although Breer mentioned hes dropping bc of Back issues?). Perhaps AVT falls right to us at 23. 

Firstly, I don't think either will start this year at RT, and may not ever. All depends on how Fant progresses. Secondly, every team has a different perspective on arm length. There are plenty of great tackles past and present who have shorter than 33.5" arms. 32.125" is a different story. I think AVT is going to be a G, and that begs questioning how much the Jets think of him as a G/whether they would move up for a guy who is a G-only player. However, Jenkins is very much a G/T player who has the length and the athleticism to play RT, but projects as a strong option at RG as well.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, football guy said:

I think they're going to move up or stay back. Hard to say without knowing what happens in the top 15

There's a lot of different scenarios that can play out. I think move up from 23 and down from 34 is one they'll be prepared to engage in. I think they can stay at all 3, especially if guys with round 1 grades fall to each pick. 

Point was everyone was so focused on the QB decision

Just from a personal perspective, I've kind of seen him as a Jets target for a while now too. I obviously didn't expect us to be so bad, but when I was looking at the 2021 class last summer I kind of saw him and Devonta Smith as 2 of our 1st round options. He checks all the boxes this administration looks for and I couldn't help but see the similarities between he and Dallas Goedert on tape

Firstly, I don't think either will start this year at RT, and may not ever. All depends on how Fant progresses. Secondly, every team has a different perspective on arm length. There are plenty of great tackles past and present who have shorter than 33.5" arms. 32.125" is a different story. I think AVT is going to be a G, and that begs questioning how much the Jets think of him as a G/whether they would move up for a guy who is a G-only player. However, Jenkins is very much a G/T player who has the length and the athleticism to play RT, but projects as a strong option at RG as well.

If the jets traded back from 23, who would the OL targets be - davis?  Creed?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...