2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

football guy

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

If the jets want toney i don’t think they can wait to 34 though.  I do think they’re going to trade back, as the OL they want will probably be gone, douglas is a ‘draft capital’ kind of guy who values his picks, and the guys with the most value at 23 are likely to be defense.  So i see them trading back and going wr or defense, and possibly trading back into round 1 to get an OL they like.  

For some reason I expect a few trade ups in the 1st this year, and thus I feel like AVT or Jenkins will fall to us at 23.

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

For some reason I expect a few trade ups in the 1st this year, and thus I feel like AVT or Jenkins will fall to us at 23.

I can see Jenkins possibly falling, not AVT b/c of his versatility.  It would be nice to see douglas get a bit aggressive and move up for one of his guys, since i think the 34 pick will be coveted and he can trade out and recoup the pick(s) traded to move up.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

There's a lot of speculation that there could be a lot more trades this year. Last year was slow, but I think teams would rather go get their player in this draft given the added degree of uncertainty on day 2-3 than hoard their picks. Best way to put it is push everything back a round. What was valued as a round 1 pick this year now feels like a round 2, round 2 feels like a round 3, and so on. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think so. I think they're serious about pumping resources into the line and taking a major step forward in rebuilding that unit

So you think they’d be more likely to take eichenberg or radunz, rather than Humphrey, at 34, if they wound up going defense at 23?

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

The Vikings trading out of 14 so the Bears could draft a QB is like us trading with the Dolphins or Pats.  Not impossible but highly unlikely...

I think it's different when it's the middle of 1st round instead of the top of the 1st round. 

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

How exactly is supporting the team NOT supporting the QB?....not a lot of point in delving any further into your response beyond that

You did delve into my point further. You realized I was right and decided to make pretend you didn't look any further. So this is where we part ways.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, football guy said:

There are a ton of moving parts as always, but here's the pulse I've gotten the past few days + some of my own observations as it relates to the Jets/OL: 

• Sewell is pretty much locked into the top 7. I'm going to say that he goes #7 to DET, or a team trading up for him.
  • Regarding the Chargers: I expect them to trade up, whether it be for Sewell or Slater I'm not sure. But I don't expect them to wait for a tackle to fall to them. 
  • Chicago will look to move up if their QB (Lance) is in reaching distance. Figure picks 8-12 is their range. If this does not happen, they are prime players for an OL and Christian Darrisaw, Teven Jenkins are two players they would probably take if there.  
  • Minnesota is likely to sit put and take the best OL available. Many think that player will be AVT, but if a scenario plays out where Slater falls to them, AVT could fall and prompt the Jets to move up for him.
  • Arizona and Las Vegas don't seem very likely to take an OL on Day 1.
  • Miami at #18 is more likely to take a tackle than at #6. I think the only scenario they actually move down is if DET/CAR/DEN were making the offer. Still think they wait until Day 2 before addressing the line. They would absolutely be a threat to take Jenkins. 
  • I think Washington kind of removed themselves from the discussion by trading for Flowers unless Darrisaw is there, and even then I'm not sure Darrisaw is good enough for them to take over someone else. Still could trade up for QB too, but less likely. 
  • Indianapolis will want to trade down. Yes, they need a LT, but I don't see them reaching for one and find it much more likely they wait until Day 2 and sign Eric Fisher than actually take a tackle round 1. 
  • Tennessee is also a threat to take Jenkins, but I don't think they hop back into that well again in round 1. They'll take a guy on day 2. 

So the Jets will have to monitor how the board falls, but I think the 2 primary teams to worry about are Miami and Chicago as it relates to taking Jenkins. I do think ideally, AVT or Jenkins are the guys they are thinking about realistically coming away with. My primary Jets source said a few weeks ago she thought it would be Jenkins and while she hasn't been wrong on a first-round pick for the Jets since she got there in 2014. She thought it would be Jenkins then, and the most recent text I got regarding the first round was "I got nothing more to say." 

The key things to keep in mind with Jenkins are that he's already experienced playing in a wide-zone scheme, meets all the physical thresholds both Douglas and the staff look for in potential tackles (in this case, RGs for the blocking scheme), has the playing style and nastiness they look for in offensive lineman, and is extremely versatile. Although there are some questions about his personality, nothing on tape indicates a guy who doesn't love the game. I believe he'll ultimately the pick at #23 (or via mild trade up to #20/21), and if for some reason a pass rusher falls that prompts the Jets to pass, I think they would strongly consider moving back up into the end of round 1 to grab him. I would be shocked if they straight up pass him up because again, the person who mentioned him has never been wrong about a 1st round pick since I met them. 

Is ZW a lock? Thanks for the info again!

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

So you think they’d be more likely to take eichenberg or radunz, rather than Humphrey, at 34, if they wound up going defense at 23?

Not necessarily. They like Radunz I know that much, but again, I don't really know exactly where they like him. I think Radunz, Eichenberg, Alex Leatherwood, Spencer Brown, Creed Humphrey would all be guys they monitor. Spencer Brown is the one guy who I heard them connected with early in the process, but feel like he's more of a 3rd round option

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Maybe he falls to 23 maybe he doesn’t 

that's irrelevant to your post.  you asked "Problem is who is blocking for them" in response to a post that said:

I know RB with a high pick is a hot-topic, but adding Jenkins and Javonte would go a long way toward changing our identity and take some heat off our new QB.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

You don't know what you know until you know it.

Using your logic you would fire good executives for what could be prudent moves...

Pinning the incompetence of Idzik and Mac on Douglas is highly illogical and if you were being intellectually honest with yourself you would agree. Either way you don't fire the (according to league circles) promising GM 2 picks into his second draft.  He could believe there is no Edge or CB worth a damn after 23 but have plenty of targets at OLine and WR in rounds 2-4. 

You don't hamstring new management due to the incompetence of old management. You don't judge new management on the failures of old management, and you don't judge new managements moves without first letting them play out because of the ****** taste old management left in your mouth.

You hire someone supposedly qualified to do the job, let them do the job.

Or continue micromanaging yourself backwards.

I don't pretend to know if Douglas will be a good GM or not .... I just know you are wrong about your approach to the process.

Feel free to roast him on a spit if he goes all Defense after drafting Wilson but disagreeing with one pick.... at that point Your just be looking for something to be upset about, which is part of you Modus Operandi sooooo....

Nobody is pinning anything on anyone.  One thing has NOTHING to do with another.  

All I'm saying is - at the point he takes an offensive player at 23 or 34 I'll KNOW he's going to be a failure - there will be no doubt in my mind at that point.  Therefor I wouldn't want to waste 3 more years just waiting for the whole thing to fall apart.

Hence, if I were the owner and he picked offense at 23 or 34 I would fire him then.

So I'll ask you again...

If you knew then what you know now - would you have kept Mac around for three more years to fully tear down the franchise?

59 minutes ago, football guy said:

Not necessarily. They like Radunz I know that much, but again, I don't really know exactly where they like him. I think Radunz, Eichenberg, Alex Leatherwood, Spencer Brown, Creed Humphrey would all be guys they monitor. Spencer Brown is the one guy who I heard them connected with early in the process, but feel like he's more of a 3rd round option

Cosmi?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Savage69 said:

Not true they avg 15.2 a game that doesn't even rank in the top 100 worst. The 1993,1977and 78 teams were worse.

Here's the top 100 http://mcubed.net/nfl/ptlpfpg.shtml

You can't possibly compare the league vs. the way the game used to be played..

Maybe that's actually where our disconnect is -

I believe the game has evolved incredibly since 77, 78 and 93 - to a point where it's much more difficult to play defense.  I guess if this was 1977 I would completely be aligned with you - taking a CB at 23 would be a solid move.

My current belief is today's NFL an explosive offense is necessary to have sustained success to the league.  And if you want to have an explosive offense you need to have a franchise QB.  If you want to have a franchise QB you need to develop one.  In order to develop one you need to have pieces in place to help him develop.

So I guess if you think the league is similar to the one in 1977 then you could have sustained success with a very good defense, I completely agree.

Good article on how the 2020 Jets are on of the worst teams since the expansion.  Which was led by the offense.

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/10-absolute-worst-nfl-teams-expansion

2020 New York Jets (2-14)

Two wins in the final three weeks of the season saved the Jets from league-wide infamy, though it's also worth noting both wins came against playoff teams. Nevertheless, only the 1996 Jets, which slumped to 1-15, posted a worse record in franchise history. Also, following a 28-14 loss to the Patriots in the season finale, the 2020 squad set a new franchise record with 457 points allowed. Still, head coach Adam Gase's offense was the biggest issue. The 243 points New York scored were the fewest in the league, and also the fewest for the club since 2005.

2 hours ago, football guy said:

I do think ideally, AVT or Jenkins are the guys they are thinking about

These have been the two in my mind all along.  They’re the guys I hit in almost every mock Draft at #23 unless a guy like Kwity Paye falls to 23.  It’s not surprising that those are the names your source is hearing because those are the two you look up the board at from #23.  If it’s neither of them then you start looking back down the board at guys like Radunz and Eichenberg IMO.

And therein lies the challenge.  #23 is a good spot.... but might not be good enough for Jenkins, and almost definitely not good enough for AVT.  But 23 and 34 both feel too early for Radunz and Eichenberg, and Joe won’t reach.

We need some good fortune and the Draft has relative value at OL throughout many rounds without huge drop offs.  But perhaps this is where JD monetizes a couple of those 21 Draft picks he has over 2 years?  Use a pick from Seattle, Carolina or the Giants from JD’s three big trades to navigate the board for the guy you want.

24 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think he’s an option in the 3rd-4th. All it takes is one, but as an old rookie who will have to slide inside, it wouldn’t shock me if he made it to 107, in which case I’d think the Jets make that pick easily 

What would you put the odds at that the Jets land at least one of Tommy Tremble or Ben Mason?

I think there’s a 50% chance they finish Saturday with at least one of those guys drafted.

37 minutes ago, derp said:

Cosmi?

I’m not a fan of that guy.  Definitely not at #23 and maybe not at #34 either.  Seems good on paper but there’s something off with his flexibility and athleticism IMO.

Edit:  I just saw I downvoted your post. lol. Didn’t mean to do that.  I was downvoting Cosmi. 

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Can I just add that rationality has no real place in what @FidelioJet is talking about? 

There are myriad ways to cook a steak. Suggesting that boiling it is the ONLY rational way, isn’t rational. It’s just an ill-informed opinion being over-rationalized for some emotional purpose or another.

Believe it or not, boiling a steak is the best way to cook it.  The French call it Sous Vide.   You boil the steak in a bag to a precise temperature.  Then you sear the steak on both sides quickly.  I thought it was nuts until I had one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Believe it or not, boiling a steak is the best way to cook it.  The French call it Sous Vide.   You boil the steak in a bag to a precise temperature.  Then you sear the steak on both sides quickly.  I thought it was nuts until I had one. 

Hahaha, yup! 

15 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I’m not a fan of that guy.  Definitely not at #23 and maybe not at #34 either.  Seems good on paper but there’s something off with his flexibility and athleticism IMO.

Edit:  I just saw I downvoted your post. lol. Didn’t mean to do that.  I was downvoting Cosmi. 

To each their own. I feel like when you grab plus athletes with plus character and position versatility you really minimize risk. I get he’s not a perfect prospect though. Weird flexibility and coordination and the adequate but kind of short arms don’t help.

My opinion is if they’re going to spend a pick as premium as 23 or 34 on an offensive lineman it should be a ten year starter at center or a tackle who *could* project to the left side at tackle but can also play at guard since that’s how somebody cracks the lineup this year.

You boom on a RT or G only guy he’s either walking or you’re paying him and Becton good money but he’s not playing a premium position. If the guy has LT versatility it’s Becton insurance (both injuries and fall off which we’ve seen) and if Becton works out and you don’t want to pay both you can recoup serious draft capital for a potential LT who’s showed well at RT. That’s at least a premium position pick even if he’s not playing one for the Jets.

As much as I’d like the safe pick and I appreciate the value of improving the offensive line I think it’s an assumed short term gain - rookie linemen sometimes struggle and it’s not a top of the draft selection - but if the guy isn’t a potential LT or a long-term center I think it leads to cap questions - albeit fun ones - down the road.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

We literally had the worst offense in the league and one of the worst in the history of the NFL.  As of right now we've upgraded with a #2 WR.  Our QB didn't have a chance.

Not seeing or understanding how important the QB position is, just tells me the fans get the team they deserve.

? what the hell does that mean

What are you talking about?

You do remember that we got rid of gase and that garbage play book right? Hell we even threw out the qb with the bath water.

Hiring saleh overnight made our off better.

I was just trying to point our that adding edge and cb is fine, cause you can add lineman to protect the qb which will help everything, later on in the draft in the 3rd round.

We have a number 2 WR yes in mims sure. We also added Davis who will serve as our number 1 this year. You can call him a 2 but on our team he is a 1 and would be on other teams too. It was great signing along with Cole. Our GM gave us the flexibility to go DEF if needed with all the pick and FA we have..

I like your points sometimes and other times Im like wtf is this guys talking about, looney toons.

17 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

? what the hell does that mean

What are you talking about?

You do remember that we got rid of gase and that garbage play book right? Hell we even threw out the qb with the bath water.

Hiring saleh overnight made our off better.

I was just trying to point our that adding edge and cb is fine, cause you can add lineman to protect the qb which will help everything, later on in the draft in the 3rd round.

We have a number 2 WR yes in mims sure. We also added Davis who will serve as our number 1 this year. You can call him a 2 but on our team he is a 1 and would be on other teams too. It was great signing along with Cole. Our GM gave us the flexibility to go DEF if needed with all the pick and FA we have..

I like your points sometimes and other times Im like wtf is this guys talking about, looney toons.

Look, 

Y'all don't have to agree with me on this - but I truly think it would insane to take anything but offense at 23 or 34 and doing anything else would show JD to be incompetent. 

I don't see that as an outlandish concept.  if you do - so be it. 

But I want a franchise QB and what we've been doing (building defense) for the past 50 years isn't working.  

In the 2021 NFL, going all-in on your QB shouldn't be viewed as Looney Tunes.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, mrcoops said:

I think NFL.com carries a live feed from NFL network during the draft.

Hmmm, I can't see the NFL giving ANYTHING away for free; and, also, well, ya know . . .

tenor.gif?itemid=5875579

. . . this is how I roll. Thanks, though, it may work, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Look, 

Y'all don't have to agree with me on this - but I truly think it would insane to take anything but offense at 23 or 34 and doing anything else would show JD to be incompetent. 

I don't see that as an outlandish concept.  if you do - so be it. 

But I want a franchise QB and what we've been doing (building defense) for the past 50 years isn't working.  

In the 2021 NFL, going all-in on your QB shouldn't be viewed as Looney Tunes.

right we def don't have to agree, but you are saying its insane to give our team a great edge and add a CB, that is not insane. That would be a smart move considering we can add quality lineman to protect the QB...we can add like 2 or 3 of them if we wanted. That kind of fixes yoru whole problem on off. We take QB EDGE CB OT OT...bam that is def a very viable plan. 

I just think its outlandish to say if you go def wiht those two picks we are doomed. No we are not. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, slats said:

I planned to ask this tomorrow if I couldn't figure it out myself by then. For the games, the links don't appear until an hour or so before they start, if that early. 

Yeah, that was my thinking as well. S-o-o-o-o, I hear you live in the Caribbean.

200.webp?cid=82a1493b5sxtm1d5onepwl2mhvs

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

right we def don't have to agree, but you are saying its insane to give our team a great edge and add a CB, that is not insane. That would be a smart move considering we can add quality lineman to protect the QB...we can add like 2 or 3 of them if we wanted. That kind of fixes yoru whole problem on off. We take QB EDGE CB OT OT...bam that is def a very viable plan. 

I just think its outlandish to say if you go def wiht those two picks we are doomed. No we are not. 

I really don't want to go back and forth on this anymore...So I'll leave it at this.

I'm not saying the Jets are doomed.  I'm saying our GM would have proven himself to not be competent.  Therefor we should move on from him sooner than later.

Developing Zach Wilson should be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority of our GM right now.  Putting any substantial resources into anything other that is unimaginable.

For what it's worth, I am cautiously optimistic that JD is going to do the right thing and take offense at 23 and 34.    

We will see though.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, football guy said:

There are a ton of moving parts as always, but here's the pulse I've gotten the past few days + some of my own observations as it relates to the Jets/OL: 

• Sewell is pretty much locked into the top 7. I'm going to say that he goes #7 to DET, or a team trading up for him.
  • Regarding the Chargers: I expect them to trade up, whether it be for Sewell or Slater I'm not sure. But I don't expect them to wait for a tackle to fall to them. 
  • Chicago will look to move up if their QB (Lance) is in reaching distance. Figure picks 8-12 is their range. If this does not happen, they are prime players for an OL and Christian Darrisaw, Teven Jenkins are two players they would probably take if there.  
  • Minnesota is likely to sit put and take the best OL available. Many think that player will be AVT, but if a scenario plays out where Slater falls to them, AVT could fall and prompt the Jets to move up for him.
  • Arizona and Las Vegas don't seem very likely to take an OL on Day 1.
  • Miami at #18 is more likely to take a tackle than at #6. I think the only scenario they actually move down is if DET/CAR/DEN were making the offer. Still think they wait until Day 2 before addressing the line. They would absolutely be a threat to take Jenkins. 
  • I think Washington kind of removed themselves from the discussion by trading for Flowers unless Darrisaw is there, and even then I'm not sure Darrisaw is good enough for them to take over someone else. Still could trade up for QB too, but less likely. 
  • Indianapolis will want to trade down. Yes, they need a LT, but I don't see them reaching for one and find it much more likely they wait until Day 2 and sign Eric Fisher than actually take a tackle round 1. 
  • Tennessee is also a threat to take Jenkins, but I don't think they hop back into that well again in round 1. They'll take a guy on day 2. 

So the Jets will have to monitor how the board falls, but I think the 2 primary teams to worry about are Miami and Chicago as it relates to taking Jenkins. I do think ideally, AVT or Jenkins are the guys they are thinking about realistically coming away with. 

The key things to keep in mind with Jenkins are that he's already experienced playing in a wide-zone scheme, meets all the physical thresholds both Douglas and the staff look for in potential tackles (in this case, RGs for the blocking scheme), has the playing style and nastiness they look for in offensive lineman, and is extremely versatile. Although there are some questions about his personality, nothing on tape indicates a guy who doesn't love the game. I believe he'll ultimately the pick at #23 (or via mild trade up to #20/21), and if for some reason a pass rusher falls that prompts the Jets to pass, I think they would strongly consider moving back up into the end of round 1 to grab him. I would be shocked if they straight up pass him up because again, the person who mentioned him has never been wrong about a 1st round pick since I met them. 

Great Update.

I know people love AVT but I would be much happier with Jenkins. I know Fant has upside in this system but Jenkins playing RG with the possibility of playing RT next year if Fant fails is just so perfect. Cutting Fant saves us like 9-10m next year too. We clearly don't need to cut him but Jenkins gives us so many more options. If you're confident he could play RT a small move up is certainly worth it.

If we see the Jets trade up tomorrow I feel like it's for Waddle or Jenkins. Both could potentially allow us to move on from some pretty expensive players yet potentially upgrade those positions. 

• Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

There's s reason certain lineman go doing 1 and others go round 3. And I hate taking tables in the mid rounds, they never work out. You either take one in the 1st or interior lineman in the mid rounds. Developmental tackles have such a low success rate