2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

yea. I was hopeful he mind wind up as our 23/34 target but now, I would be hesitant. Can't help our offense on IR every year. 

I need to see JD skill player/playmaker picks this weekend. His report card is pretty mixed right now in that area. Sure, he selected Mims, but only after trading back and lucking out (and did nothing else w/ 2020 draft).... His FA signings last year were sh*t (Perriman?) ... and although i like Davis/Cole combo, we still have significant needs at TE/RB/and depth at WR. Rondale Moore would go a long way towards winning me over... I'd like to see Tremble as well, and Zach Davidson too. Double down. RB i have more patience w/... we can bring in a UDFA like McCrary to compete with Tevin/Ty/co. 

i mean it would be a dream for him to draft every guy we've talked about all offseason ahaha but realistically it seems like moore and tremble are very heavy targets for the jets, so thats at least a sign that they think similar to our taste in skill players which is always fun. 

Its going to be a very interesting draft to say the least. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

i mean it would be a dream for him to draft every guy we've talked about all offseason ahaha but realistically it seems like moore and tremble are very heavy targets for the jets, so thats at least a sign that they think similar to our taste in skill players which is always fun. 

Its going to be a very interesting draft to say the least. 

At least this time it's not totally wishful thinking. We've done our homework on Rondale, and we've been linked to Tremble by many both in interest, and fit (they could draft him as a FB like Kyle J.) and Jets were at Zach's proday and met with him - visibly interested.

Maybe i'll sleep soundly for the first time in a decade. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

At least this time it's not totally wishful thinking. We've done our homework on Rondale, and we've been linked to Tremble by many both in interest, and fit (they could draft him as a FB like Kyle J.) and Jets were at Zach's proday and met with - visible interested.

Maybe i'll sleep soundly for the first time in a decade. 

annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd you just ruined it for us..  Way to go

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

These have been the two in my mind all along.  They’re the guys I hit in almost every mock Draft at #23 unless a guy like Kwity Paye falls to 23.  It’s not surprising that those are the names your source is hearing because those are the two you look up the board at from #23.  If it’s neither of them then you start looking back down the board at guys like Radunz and Eichenberg IMO.

And therein lies the challenge.  #23 is a good spot.... but might not be good enough for Jenkins, and almost definitely not good enough for AVT.  But 23 and 34 both feel too early for Radunz and Eichenberg, and Joe won’t reach.

We need some good fortune and the Draft has relative value at OL throughout many rounds without huge drop offs.  But perhaps this is where JD monetizes a couple of those 21 Draft picks he has over 2 years?  Use a pick from Seattle, Carolina or the Giants from JD’s three big trades to navigate the board for the guy you want.

If Paye, Jenkins and AVT are gone when we are on the clock at 23, I think we move back either to the late first or even the 2nd round.  If they do that, they can still take a RB at 34 and then hit IOL with someone like Quinn Meirnz who is athletic enough to play in this system, fits the the work ethic/attitude mold and has position versatility.  

As for OT, id rather see us address that with a developmental player in the 3rd-5th rather then use a 2nd round pick on someone like Eichenberg.

4 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Nobody is pinning anything on anyone.  One thing has NOTHING to do with another.  

All I'm saying is - at the point he takes an offensive player at 23 or 34 I'll KNOW he's going to be a failure - there will be no doubt in my mind at that point.  Therefor I wouldn't want to waste 3 more years just waiting for the whole thing to fall apart.

Hence, if I were the owner and he picked offense at 23 or 34 I would fire him then.

So I'll ask you again...

If you knew then what you know now - would you have kept Mac around for three more years to fully tear down the franchise?

So ... although your whole premise is a logical fallacy I will humor your nonsense...

If through a crystal ball  I knew the Mackattack was going to be a S*** show of epic proportions of course I would not retain for 3 more years.

That's like asking if you knew you would fall down the stairs and break both your legs, would you still fall down the stairs or would you be more careful that day. Yeah of course you would be more careful.

If you don't see why your premise is ridiculous that's on you....

Riddle me this Batman... If JD drafts a FQB, All Pro 1b D, 6-10 year starter on O 2, above avg on O 3 would you be happy oh wait you fired him after his second pick nevermind....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I really don't want to go back and forth on this anymore...So I'll leave it at this.

I'm not saying the Jets are doomed.  I'm saying our GM would have proven himself to not be competent.  Therefor we should move on from him sooner than later.

Developing Zach Wilson should be the 1st, 2nd and 3rd priority of our GM right now.  Putting any substantial resources into anything other that is unimaginable.

For what it's worth, I am cautiously optimistic that JD is going to do the right thing and take offense at 23 and 34.    

We will see though.

Fair enough you admit that the only way joe is competent is if he follows your plan in the draft that his second and third pick is an offensive player, arguably vague, but I assume you mean OT or WR but I guess you could be a Pitts truther too. In any case anyone reading can decide how close your position is, I think the answer is obvious considering all the way a team can be built and the roster we have.

One thing we do agree with is JD will do the right thing and build around the next qb that there is no doubt!

10 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

So ... although your whole premise is a logical fallacy I will humor your nonsense...

If through a crystal ball  I knew the Mackattack was going to be a S*** show of epic proportions of course I would not retain for 3 more years.

That's like asking if you knew you would fall down the stairs and break both your legs, would you still fall down the stairs or would you be more careful that day. Yeah of course you would be more careful.

If you don't see why your premise is ridiculous that's on you....

Riddle me this Batman... If JD drafts a FQB, All Pro 1b D, 6-10 year starter on O 2, above avg on O 3 would you be happy oh wait you fired him after his second pick nevermind....

Your answer: No.

That QB isn't winning us a Super bowl and a 6 years as a starters is not the goal.  The goal is 15 years and a team that's in the hunt for the Super Bowl every year.

To be fully honest, I don't care if he turns out to be as good as Aaron Rodgers.  That's actually even more of a reason he should be gone the moment he takes offense.

I'll say it again, if JD takes defense at 23 or 34 he has proven to me, with out a doubt in my mind, that he is incompetent.  

Even with great QB play he will be incapable of putting together a Super Bowl winning roster...and we will languish in mediocrity for a decade - much like the Detroit Lions and Stafford (well, better than that because Stafford isn't that good, but I think you get my point).  Due to great QB play the team will be good enough for him to keep his job but not strong enough to win it all. 

Would rather him gone now than later.

7 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Fair enough you admit that the only way joe is competent is if he follows your plan in the draft that his second and third pick is an offensive player, arguably vague, but I assume you mean OT or WR but I guess you could be a Pitts truther too. In any case anyone reading can decide how close your position is, I think the answer is obvious considering all the way a team can be built and the roster we have.

One thing we do agree with is JD will do the right thing and build around the next qb that there is no doubt!

It's not my plan - it's the only gosh darn logical thing to do!

I hope JD will do the right thing.  I don't know it.  

Look, he clearly didn't do the right thing for Darnold.  He made the offense worse for Sam - but I think he was all-in on cleaning house and Sam was a sacrificial lamb....I think he had a plan, stuck to it and did what I believe was necessary.  But, I could be wrong and he thought he was putting out a quality roster - and in that case we're screwed.

It's time for him to build and I really don't know where is head is....  

I know this, the only logical thing to do was dump Sam and take a QB at 2.  I was very confident that's what he was going to do.  Which is why I have hope that he is competent and understands, with the current Jet roster, the overwhelming use of premium resources MUST go to offense over the next couple of years.

He used more FA resources on defense this off-season (I think the situation dictated that)...which leads me to believe he will be much more aggressive on offense than defense.  I don't care what position - BOPA....

As I said, it's the only thing that make any sense!

39 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That QB isn't winning us a Super bowl and a 6 years as a starters is not the goal.  The goal is 15 years and a team that's in the hunt for the Super Bowl every year.

To be fully honest, I don't care if he turns out to be as good as Aaron Rodgers.  That's actually even more of a reason he should be gone the moment he takes offense.

I'll say it again, if JD takes defense at 23 or 34 he has proven to me, with out a doubt in my mind, that he is incompetent.  

Even with great QB play he will be incapable of putting together a Super Bowl winning roster...and we will languish in mediocrity for a decade - much like the Detroit Lions and Stafford (well, better than that because Stafford isn't that good, but I think you get my point).  Due to great QB play the team will be good enough for him to keep his job but not strong enough to win it all. 

There are 2 different schools of thought right now.  1 is to develop Wilson at all costs bc that would give the Jets 10-15 years of relevancy. The 2nd is the guys who think by adding another edge and CB the Jets will be a better team in 2021. The problem is the Jets are going to be a 4-6 win team next year regardless of who they draft this year. There are way too many holes on this roster to be able to overcome that. So you may as well just do as much as you can this year to help develop Wilson as quickly as possible bc right now the Jets are the worst team in the division and it's not close. It won't get closer till they finally develop a QB and build around him. A CB isn't bringing the Jets closer to winning the division

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, choon328 said:

There are 2 different schools of thought right now.  1 is to develop Wilson at all costs bc that would give the Jets 10-15 years of relevancy. The 2nd is the guys who think by adding another edge and CB the Jets will be a better team in 2021. The problem is the Jets are going y by a 4-6 win team next year regardless of who they draft this year. They're are way too many holes in this roster to be able to overcome that. So you may as well just do as much as you can this year to help develop Wilson as quickly as possible bc right now the Jets are the worst team in the division and it's not close and it won't get closer till they finally develop a QB and build around him. 

Honestly, I am really shocked - it seems like you, me a small handful of others are the only ones that get this.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Not a lot of logic. Tons of emotion, though. 

We're just going to have disagree.  

Honestly, I'm certainly an emotional fan - but this isn't emotion.

I felt strongly about it with Darnold too.  Mac failed him.  I HATED the QW  pick for the same reason and was vocal about it then.  I still hate that pick.

Putting emotion aside entirely, it makes zero sense (I mean that literally) to me, to take anything but offense at 23 and 34.

When I look at what's in the long-term best interest for this team - I can't see how a CB or Edge or anything on defense - has a better chance of helping this team - more than surrounding our young QB with protection and weapons and doing everything you can to turn him into a top 5 QB.

QB is too important and the shelf life of a good one is far longer than any other position.  If you hit there you're good for 15 years...It's worth the short term hit to the defense for the long term upside.

You might not agree and that's fine - but it's not emotion.  It's based solely on logic.

- It's not personal sonny, it's just business - Michael Corleone....

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BCJet said:

If Paye, Jenkins and AVT are gone when we are on the clock at 23, I think we move back either to the late first or even the 2nd round.  If they do that, they can still take a RB at 34 and then hit IOL with someone like Quinn Meirnz who is athletic enough to play in this system, fits the the work ethic/attitude mold and has position versatility.  

As for OT, id rather see us address that with a developmental player in the 3rd-5th rather then use a 2nd round pick on someone like Eichenberg.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a move back under that scenario. Also wouldn’t mind a weapon like Toney or Najee if they’re available and then target oline in rd 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What I see here is that the people who have wanted the Jets to draft Zach Wilson are increasingly terrified the Jets will draft Zach Wilson.

Stop!

I love the Wilson pick - I'm concerned with everything after that.

Give Wilson the tools and I think he's almost can't miss.  The only thing in the way of Wilson and a great career is JD.  

I'm hopeful he will do the right thing.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Stop!

I love the Wilson pick - I'm concerned with everything after that.

Give Wilson the tools and I think he's almost can't miss.  The only thing in the way of Wilson and a great career is JD.  

I'm hopeful he will do the right thing.

So if JD drafts an edge rusher at 23, Zach’s development is somehow compromised?  You guys crack me up with your logic at times, Zach is “almost a can’t miss” prospect, yet drafting a defensive player at 23 would derail that?   

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

You keep saying you would fire him if he drafts offense at 23 or 34 ... When you mean you would fire him if he drafts defense.  You want offense remember.

I was going to overlook it but you did it in multiple posts. This off-season has melted your brain. Remember you want offense... Say it with me ......offense.

If JD takes Defense You would know nothing .... You would be convinced of something though ..... A dolt being convinced of something does not make a fact. 

Fideliojet being convinced of a premise Fideliojet concocted would not be proof of knowing something but it would mean one of my favorite dum-dumbs had convinced himself of some stupid ****. Which is all good ... Run with it I like it when you say silly **** and think you are being profoundly intelligent it's entertaining.

I think you know my MO by now.... I'm not trying to change your mind on anything I just like to banter with people when they say asinine things. I don't pretend to know if JD will be good or bad at his job.  You on the other hand pretend to know the future along with having the acumen of a top notch NFL exec.

It looks like you are getting the QB of your choice and you are still findings things to whine incessantly about.... Before they even happen. Peak Fideliojet.

Happy Draft Day 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

So if JD drafts an edge rusher at 23, Zach’s development is somehow compromised?  You guys crack me up with your logic at times, Zach is “almost a can’t miss” prospect, yet drafting a defensive player at 23 would derail that?   

Obviously drafting an offensive tackle who will redshirt the year or play out of position at guard for at least a year or a wide receiver who might earn gadget snaps would be perfectly fine, though.

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We're just going to have disagree.  

Honestly, I'm certainly an emotional fan - but this isn't emotion.

I felt strongly about it with Darnold too.  Mac failed him.  I HATED the QW  pick for the same reason and was vocal about it then.  I still hate that pick.

Putting emotion aside entirely, it makes zero sense (I mean that literally) to me, to take anything but offense at 23 and 34.

When I look at what's in the long-term best interest for this team - I can't see how a CB or Edge or anything on defense - has a better chance of helping this team - more than surrounding our young QB with protection and weapons and doing everything you can to turn him into a top 5 QB.

QB is too important and the shelf life of a good one is far longer than any other position.  If you hit there you're good for 15 years...It's worth the short term hit to the defense for the long term upside.

You might not agree and that's fine - but it's not emotion.  It's based solely on logic.

- It's not personal sonny, it's just business - Michael Corleone....

No, it's pure emotion. The idea that if the Jets take a defensive player with one of #23 or #34 means Joe Douglas can never have success as a GM? I mean, that's just completely ridiculous. One pick is not going to make or break JD or Zach's career, except maybe the Zach pick, itself. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, derp said:

Obviously drafting an offensive tackle who will redshirt the year or play out of position at guard for at least a year or a wide receiver who might earn gadget snaps would be perfectly fine, though.

Seriously.  We’re going to pass over better more impactful defensive players just to show we are supporting the rookie QB?   The pick may very well be an offensive player, but this notion that it MUST be offense is goofy.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, slats said:

No, it's pure emotion. The idea that if the Jets take a defensive player with one of #23 or #34 means Joe Douglas can never have success as a GM? I mean, that's just completely ridiculous. One pick is not going to make or break JD or Zach's career, except maybe the Zach pick, itself. 

I applaud you for continuing to take this line of reason seriously.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

The Wilson ballwashers deep down inside know Sam Darnold wasn’t the real  problem with this team last year

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Seriously.  We’re going to pass over better more impactful defensive players just to show we are supporting the rookie QB?   The pick may very well be an offensive player, but this notion that it MUST be offense is goofy.  

Wilson with this supporting cast is not going to be good and they know it

3 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Lol yes that is exactly what he is saying... But he will turn around and tell you no this is about JDs incompetence and Fideliojets Nostradamus like foresight.

My friend Fid likes to pretend he he's ahead of the curve while simultaneously being completely myopic. If you are going to engage it's best to just lightly troll and not actually try to convince him of anything... it has proven near impossible. The only one who can convince him is him and then it's his original idea.

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The Wilson ballwashers deep down inside know Sam Darnold wasn’t the real  problem with this team last year

He wasn't the biggest problem but he was objectively bad. You can't be the 33rd best QB in the league and not be considered a problem.

Just now, Tranquilo said:

He wasn't the biggest problem but he was objectively bad. You can't be the 33rd best QB in the league and not be considered a problem.

Pretty much any Qb not named Brady or Aaron Rodgers would have sucked last year with this roster and Adam Gase in meltdown mode