2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

football guy

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

This

Not sure why so many would complain about an EDGE like Paye.

We haven’t been able to consistently put the QB on his ass in over 15 years and it’s killed us on D. Every single Sunday during that span we’ve b*tched about opposing QB’s having all day to throw.

With a DL of Quinnen, Lawson, Paye, Rankins, Franklin-Myers, Curry, etc...that should change in a hurry.

The Jets can still improve the OL at #34 and beyond.

Paye had a whopping 4 sacks last year.

You listed the reason whey we should not take an edge guy in your own post.

Lawson, Quinnen, Rankins, Zuniga, Fraklin-Myers, Curry, Fotusaki

How many friggin dline do we need? 

The Jets have done such a great job of improving oline with 'beyond' draft picks

I'm literally astounded that some of our respected posters on here like yourself are tooting the pass rusher horn and we can wait to get oline.  Just astounded.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

That's not what I'm saying.  It's not what I said.  Stop making stuff up.  If there is a BETTER defensive player that we sorely need at 23 or 34 and there is no offensive player to match that quality, then you take Paye at 23 or you take Phillips at 34. The quality Oline you can get with an upcoming pick may be just as high or close to what you pass over for the Edge.  This is an OL rich dtraft and an Edge deficient draft in the first 3-4 rounds, IMO.  

You've created a rigid, mechanical blueprint for Joe Douglas to follow no matter what's there in the drtaft.  That is a pitiful take.  So we will agree to disagree. I understand your point, you don't need to keep repeating it. You are becoming another Phil with all the redundant posts.   I think your take is wrong.  That's all. We'll leave it at that.  My hope is that there are outstanding, crazy-if-we-don't-pick-them offense there at 23 and 34.  Then all this will be moot.  But if there's not, and Paye is sitting at 23 or Phillips at 34... then would you like to place a wager on who JD picks?  Cause it won't be offense.

I won't repeat anymore, just people keep asking, I'm tired of regurgitating it myself.

For the record - I wasn't making stuff was just asking a question.  It's precisely why I asked and even put a question mark there.  It read that way to me, but didn't make sense so I asked.  Glad you clarified.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Idk how high the Saints want to go for a CB, but they seem like a good trade down partner at 28. Especially if some OL fall further. 

I don't get the Saints wanting to trade all the way up to draft a CB. I don't see them now, with Bress retired, as 1 player away.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I won't repeat anymore, just people keep asking, I'm tired of regurgitating it myself.

For the record - I wasn't making stuff was just asking a question.  It's precisely why I asked and even put a question mark there.  It read that way to me, but didn't make sense so I asked.  Glad you clarified.

p.s.  I do think there will be worthy offense at a minimum of one of those spots.  Both would be asking for a lot, but you never know.  Paye isn't making it to 23 anyway.  Phillips at 34 ??  Who knows, but now that the Ravens have a pair of 1st round picks, Phillips won't get past them probably.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

p.s.  I do think there will be worthy offense at a minimum of one of those spots.  Both would be asking for a lot, but you never know.  Paye isn't making it to 23 anyway.  Phillips??  Who knows, but now that the Ravens have 2 rd 1 picks, Phillips won't get past them probably.

And for the record - I do actually think JD is going to do everything he can to secure one of the OL he has targeted.  I think he'll trade up for the right price.  Just from listening to people talking it feels like OL is his primary target.

but I do also think if things don't fall his way he will take a CB or Edge.

I'm really looking forward to watching this play out.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I don't get the Saints wanting to trade all the way up to draft a CB. I don't see them now, with Bress retired, as 1 player away.

Would think it would be for Pitts or Parsons. 28 &60 this year, plus next years 1st at a minimum, and that's only to get to like 7,8,9.

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

And for the record - I do actually think JD is going to do everything he can to secure one of the OL he has targeted.  I think he'll trade up for the right price.  Just from listening to people talking it feels like OL is his primary target.

but I do also think if things don't fall his way he will take a CB or Edge.

I'm really looking forward to watching this play out.

Personally, I don't think the CBs that would be there are worth it.  Surtain and Horn gone.  I'm leery of Farley due to his medicals (regret drafting him for the cowboys so early in our mock);  Then there is a gigantic drop off. I'm not aboard the Newsome train for those spots either.  My fear is that Farley drops to 34 and Joe Douglas takes the gamble. If the right offense isn't there at 34, then go Z Collins or Phillips if either is still on the board.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

Makes sense. If true this makes the Darnold trade look smarter with extra 2 and 4 next year in addition to the extra Seattle first.

IMAGINE THE 2023 POSSIBILITIES

I don't need instant success right now.  Come 2023 JD will have all the horrible Mac signings off the books including CJ Mosley (Trumaine Johnson and Quincy Enunwa and Sam Darnold will come off after this year).  Zach Wilson will be in his third season with hopefully 3 solid JD drafts full of extra high picks starting for the Jets.

If these drafts go well 2023 and 2024 is when the machine should be up and fully running and the vision now becomes a reality.  I know we all want playoffs asap but it's been 50 years since our last superbowl so I can wait a bit longer as long as things keep heading in the right sustainable direction. 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Interesting.  2021 NFL Draft should be remembered as the Pandemically-Altered Draft.

It’s not a great draft overall, I think JD did a great job dealing Sam and getting picks in 2022.   Future draft picks are usually valued about one round lower, but I think 2022 picks won’t be discounted that much this year.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Paye had a whopping 4 sacks last year.

You listed the reason whey we should not take an edge guy in your own post.

Lawson, Quinnen, Rankins, Zuniga, Fraklin-Myers, Curry, Fotusaki

How many friggin dline do we need? 

The Jets have done such a great job of improving oline with 'beyond' draft picks

I'm literally astounded that some of our respected posters on here like yourself are tooting the pass rusher horn and we can wait to get oline.  Just astounded.

Don’t really care about the sack numbers. I think Paye translates very well to the pro level.

With that said, my preference in still OL at #23.

I’m even in favor of a minor tradeup for someone like AVT or Jenkins.

But if we stay at #23 and those guys are gone, I’m not taking an OL just for the sake of taking one.

I wouldn’t blame Douglas in the least if he wants to further bolster our ability to get after the QB and grab an OL in the 2nd/3rd round.

Now, if we go through the first 3 rounds without a single OL selected, THEN I’ll be pissed.

• Upvote 1

Terrified Zach Wilson Cuts Off Pinky Finger To Get Out Of Draft That Would Ship Him Off To Jets

CLEVELAND—Trembling as he gripped a sharp knife and debated which finger he needs the least, a terrified Zach Wilson cut off his pinky finger Thursday to get out of being drafted and shipped off to the Jets. “I’ve heard about what happens there, quarterbacks leave home and they never come back, I don’t want that to happen to me,” said Wilson, who claimed it was not fair that he could be forced to risk his life and not even have any choice or power over the matter. “People will call me a coward but I don’t care, I’m only 21, I’ve got my whole life ahead of me. Even the people that do make it back are ruined forever. I hear Mark Sanchez just wanders around the park mumbling all day before erupting in screaming fits. I’m not the kind of person that can survive that.” At press time, a bleeding, fingerless Wilson was being informed by Jets general manager Joe Douglas that due to an extreme talent shortage, they would be drafting him anyway.

https://sports.theonion.com/terrified-zach-wilson-cuts-off-pinky-finger-to-get-out-1846788730

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Travis Etienne to the Jets at #23 seems to be gaining a lot of steam. Both Daniel Jeremiah and Chris Trappasso (cbs sports) are now forecasting that in their final pre-draft mock.

Personally I think it's a great pick. We haven't had a home run hitter like him since Leon Washington. I've been on record as wanting him or Rondale Moore, but Etienne is proven to be more reliable.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

Travis Etienne to the Jets at #23 seems to be gaining a lot of steam. Both Daniel Jeremiah and Chris Trappasso (cbs sports) are now forecasting that in their final pre-draft mock.

Personally I think it's a great pick. We haven't had a home run hitter like him since Leon Washington. I've been on record as wanting him or Rondale Moore, but Etienne is proven to be more reliable.

it's not, and they're idiots. 

51 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Makes sense. If true this makes the Darnold trade look smarter with extra 2 and 4 next year in addition to the extra Seattle first.

IMAGINE THE 2023 POSSIBILITIES

I don't need instant success right now.  Come 2023 JD will have all the horrible Mac signings off the books including CJ Mosley (Trumaine Johnson and Quincy Enunwa and Sam Darnold will come off after this year).  Zach Wilson will be in his third season with hopefully 3 solid JD drafts full of extra high picks starting for the Jets.

If these drafts go well 2023 and 2024 is when the machine should be up and fully running and the vision now becomes a reality.  I know we all want playoffs asap but it's been 50 years since our last superbowl so I can wait a bit longer as long as things keep heading in the right sustainable direction. 

Some of us old dudes are trying to hang on long enough to see it happen! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1