2021 NFL Draft Mega-thread: News, Rumors, and Discussion

1 hour ago, genot said:

They threw him out there as a rookie. He was 20 yrs old. No QB coach. No o-line that could run block, or pass block very well. Limited talent at the skill positions. At least he was in a system that suited his style. Then Gase comes in. A different style offense that showed no success in Miami. Does the talent around him improve. No. It gets worse. No Herndon. Then no Robby. Two receivers he had some chemistry with. It was a presciption for failure. Yes. He made bad decisions. His team sucked, and it was his job to put points on the board. He forced some throws. Mistakes. But understandable considering the circumstances.

Ryan Tannehill, who played QB 1 year in College after being a WR, looked like a future HOF player in Gase's offense compared to Darnold.  In the 24 games Tannehill played under Gase he had a 65% comp and 36 TDs. Stop making excuses for piss poor QB play. 

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Come on..

At this point, it's looking like JD can't even get a 4th for Sam.

based on what? Hyptheticals... they just said the Jets have been unwilling as of yet to part with him. Probably means no one's offered a 1st. per say -- but my goodness, are people in the habit of jumping to conclusions right now.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Ryan Tannehill, who played QB 1 year in College after being a WR, looked like a future HOF player in Gase's offense compared to Darnold.  In the 24 games Tannehill played under Gase he had a 65% comp and 36 TDs. Stop making excuses for piss poor QB play. 

That doesn't mean sh*t. Different team, different GM, different everything... tannehill also had a Philbin who wasn't long for head coaching' but is a respected QB coach if i'm not mistaken.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

based on what? Hyptheticals... they just said the Jets have been unwilling as of yet to part with him. Probably means no one's offered a 1st. per say -- but my goodness, are people in the habit of jumping to conclusions right now.

Nah.

I've been saying this for 3 months.  Quite confidently I might add.  Go check.

This was always going to be the conclusion JD was going to come to.  Nothing else made any sense (not necessarily Wilson - although I really liked Wilson too) but taking a QB at 2.  

When push came to shove taking a QB was really the only logical option.

7 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Stop it. Tannyhill started like 45 games before Gase became a HC there. He played those games behind a good offensive line. He was settled in as an NFL starter before Gase took over. When Gase took over for those three years, the Dolphins had one of the lowest ranked offenses in the league. Lower ranked than the Jet's when Darnold was a rookie.

• Upvote 4

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Nah.

I've been saying this for 3 months.  Quite confidently I might add.  Go check.

This was always going to be the conclusion JD was going to come to.  Nothing else made any sense (not necessarily Wilson - although I really liked Wilson too) but taking a QB at 2.  

When push came to shove taking a QB was really the only logical option.

I don't know what this means, but my point was its folly to throw around Darnold's value is "now round X".... nobody knows that. JD hasn't (as far as we're told) officially told anyone - OK, send me your best offer.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't know what this means, but my point was its folly to throw around Darnold's value is "now round X".... nobody knows that. JD hasn't (as far as we're told) officially told anyone - OK, send me your best offer.

Fain enough, then I misunderstood.  

I was just referencing going QB at 2.

I agree with you there - no way to know what JD's been offered from who he's received offers and how much those offers have changed over the past two months.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, genot said:

Well. It looks like resetting the QB, is the direction we're headed. I've always understood the reasoning behind it. I just thought acquiring more picks in a trade down, and sticking with Darnold was the better approach. I must say, i find myself a little angry and saddened about the way Darnold has been left out they're, for so long without a resolution. Like him, or not. Darniold is a case study on how a young, talented QB, can have his career screwed by an inept organization.

lol.

"Angry and saddened".  Over a multi-millionaire QB who wasn't good at football.

I think you need to find some legitimate things worth getting angry or sad over.  This isn't a good one.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That doesn't mean sh*t. Different team, different GM, different everything... tannehill also had a Philbin who wasn't long for head coaching' but is a respected QB coach if i'm not mistaken.

Lol, ok

31 minutes ago, genot said:

Stop it. Tannyhill started like 45 games before Gase became a HC there. He played those games behind a good offensive line. He was settled in as an NFL starter before Gase took over. When Gase took over for those three years, the Dolphins had one of the lowest ranked offenses in the league. Lower ranked than the Jet's when Darnold was a rookie.

But I thought Gase makes QBs terrible????

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

I agree. I think Jones is going to be a really good pro QB, at a minimum. I don't know how anyone can watch his tape and not be impressed with his ability to read the field and get the ball out quickly and with great accuracy.

Sark did a great job with that offense.  Built alot off inside zone and play action/RPO off of the runs had Jones making pre snap reads for the RPO then going through progressions on play action, not just simple progressions but full field 1-4 progressions.   He processes informaiton extremely quick and very decisive with his throws.  I can see why shanahan would love him and they'd be looking to grab him.  To me, he's a very safe choice. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

lol.

"Angry and saddened".  Over a multi-millionaire QB who wasn't good at football.

I think you need to find some legitimate things worth getting angry or sad over.  This isn't a good one.

Do you think that Darnold was well supported when he was drafted by the Jet's. It's a yes or no answer. YES or NO. If the answer is no,(the correct answer), then it's about something that goes beyond money. It's about career achievement. Being part off a losing program, and soaking in the satisfaction of being there, and being a reason for the turnaround. Because of the way he was handled when he was drafted out of USC, he won't very possibly get that chance here. Maybe, anywhere else. There was a phrase in The Bronx Tale. "Nothing is more tragic than wasted talent" 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, genot said:

Do you think that Darnold was well supported when he was drafted by the Jet's. It's a yes or no answer. YES or NO. If the answer is no,(the correct answer), then it's about something that goes beyond money. It's about career achievement. Being part off a losing program, and soaking in the satisfaction of being there, and being a reason for the turnaround. Because of the way he was handled when he was drafted out of USC, he won't very possibly get that chance here. Maybe, anywhere else. There was a phrase in The Bronx Tale. "Nothing is more tragic than wasted talent" 

Lets Go Eating GIF by BYU Cougars

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

But I thought Gase makes QBs terrible????

Tannyhill was less moldable than Darnold. Which was my point about Tannyhill being settled in as an NFL  starter. As compared to Darnold. Darniold was more wreckable

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

They haven't done anything.  How can there be a leak proven to be true?

When Wilson is the pick we'll know the leaks were true.

Last year the entire planet knew they were taking a LT in the first round - and even a WR in the second.  

What free agent move did they get right? There are no actual leaks, just educated guessing. Don't worry, Wilson's probably gonna be the pick, but Peter King doesn't know jack about it. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Lol, ok

What it is about being corrected that makes me some people turn into dickheads?

I'm not mad, nor am I judging you - so what's your problem? Tannehill steadily eroded under Gase. Darnold steadily eroded under Gase.... there was different variables involved (Oline, experience, playmakers etc) so naturally that erosion looked different. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Just to show how full of it Daniel Jeremiah is

Daniel Jeremiah also said in 2018 that Darnold was his best QB prospect to come out in the last 3-4 drafts.

I don’t hold that against him

Hell, Darnold is obviously on his way out but I still say that he was the best QB prospect to come out of college since Luck.

I liked Darnold even more than I like Lawrence.

I don’t know, QB is the hardest position to evaluate in all of team sports.

I fully acknowledge that Darnold should bear a sizable amount of the blame for not living up to his potential, but the Jets definitely did him no favors.

Between Bowles and Gase overseeing his development, prioritizing the defense above all else during his stint here, and Robby Anderson being the only guy even remotely resembling an offensive playmaker for 2 of his 3 years...the Jets sure as hell did him no favors.

Hopefully Douglas can right the ship with Wilson and exponentially more attention paid to the offensive side of the ball. 

Hopefully...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Just to show how full of it Daniel Jeremiah is

Daniel Jeremiah also said in 2018 that Darnold was his best QB prospect to come out in the last 3-4 drafts.

In my opinion, Darnold's performance until now does not mean he was not an elite QB prospect.

I am not sure any QB is truly ready to step on a pro field and be good without good coaching, and a decent supporting staff. 

The team needs to develop the potential the QB has. Clearly the Jets did not do that with Sam.

Would he have been a different QB with a different team from the start? Maybe.

1 hour ago, Larz said:

We should play buzz word bingo lol

Fluid hips

burst

bend

quick twitch 

sudden

1 hour ago, chrisfaceoff said:

Intangibles

high motor

High ceiling

diamond in the rough 

steal of the draft

sleeper

plays faster than timed

thick trunk

lunch-pail guy

arm talent

throws from multiple platforms

tweener

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

What it is about being corrected that makes me some people turn into dickheads?

I'm not mad, nor am I judging you - so what's your problem? Tannehill steadily eroded under Gase. Darnold steadily eroded under Gase.... there was different variables involved (Oline, experience, playmakers etc) so naturally that erosion looked different. 

Gase was 14-11 in Miami with Tannehill as his starting QB. 

8 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Reads a bit like the Jets trying to pump up Darnold's trade value by indicating that they are not desperate to trade him.

I just can't see having both Wilson and Darnold on the team this year.

I can. Means Wilson doesn't have to start from day 1, gives you the chance to catch lightning in a bottle with Darnold in the new system, and means if Wilson does start out the gate it's because he won the job, not by default

• Upvote 1