Jump to content

The "Pressures of Playing in New York" Fallacy?


Recommended Posts

With camera phones and social media, everything well-known athletes do, everywhere, is on the record and under a microscope. 

I don't think it matters much whether you're in NY or not. 

That said, I do believe the NY media is faster to turn on coaches/players than many other markets. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of MLB writers believed that Nolan Ryan never would have had the same success in New York (he started his career with the Mets) that he had elsewhere.  Some guys over the years legitimately weren't as comfortable playing in NY as they were elsewhere.

But it's probably not as big of a deal as it used to be.  After all, cameras and media attention are found everywhere.  You get scrutinized everywhere.  Twitter doesn't care a whole lot what city you play in.  But perhaps at one time, NYC represented a heightened level of pressure to perform.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree it's an overdone trope.  There's some more cameras and the tabloid NY Post and Daily News are caustic and they love getting their outrageous covers national attention but other than that the Jets practice and play in the suburbs of NJ.  The media sessions are a bit more scrutinizing and pointed but that's it.

 

I do think the NY Media Market pressure is a real thing for the Yankees because they play in the city and are a global marquee brand with enormous tradition, hype, reach and influence.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say for sure, but I don't know of many other newspapers outside of NY that would have happily propped up the lies, threats and manipulation of a guy like Manish Mehta. 

Media now is at it's lowest point in history. The primary job of all writers/reporters is to drive views. And sensationalism drives views far more than facts. So that's what we get.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason Bay? Whitson? Sonny Gray? 
 

Baker Mayfield did a post game interview last year and took 1 question. Do you really think that would fly in NY. 

Sanchez and Pennington tried something similar once and got roasted for it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I agree it's an overdone trope.  There's some more cameras and the tabloid NY Post and Daily News are caustic and they love getting their outrageous covers national attention but other than that the Jets practice and play in the suburbs of NJ.  The media sessions are a bit more scrutinizing and pointed but that's it.

 

I do think the NY Media Market pressure is a real thing for the Yankees because they play in the city and are a global marquee brand with enormous tradition, hype, reach and influence.  

+1. The Yankees are target #1. As an organization though, they have really focused on taming the media. To the point that a lot of the beat writers are now official water-carriers for Brian Cashman.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

With camera phones and social media, everything well known athletes do, everywhere, is on the record and under a microscope. 

I don't think it matters much whether you're in NY or not. 

That said, I do believe the NY media is faster to turn on coaches/players than many other markets. 

I think this is the crux of the issue.  The media and fanbase are so starved for success and so cynical from bad decisions over the years there isn't much wiggle room or leeway for performance. I think the "Can't handle NY" This comes from this.  Players want to impress, they know if they start hot they can be the biggest thing ever as our fan bases here tend to blow guys up that are doing well.  However, this pressing sometimes leads to slow starts or inconsistency which NY fan bases in general have a hard time accepting.  So they pile on early which can break confidence in some guys. 

 

Its not that the media is too tough, or the fans are too tough.  I think sometimes players coming here have a hard time managing expectations and in tern just being themselves and tuning out everything else.  That to me is the NY effect. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You're right. I'm sure players and front office personnel for the Green Bay Packers routinely deal with their children being stalked by someone like this guy at their little league games.

 

24d096fe-bb89-4ea7-bbbe-cdbc6ed84bba.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Pretty much any big free agent the Mets have signed over the last 20 years but other than that I can’t think of anyone except maybe Ed Whitson and Sonny Gray from the Yankees.  Guess it’s only a baseball thing. 

Used to see it a lot in baseball.

Javier Vazquez was another.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

You're right. I'm sure players and front office personnel for the Green Bay Packers routinely deal with their children being stalked by someone like this guy at their little league games.

 

24d096fe-bb89-4ea7-bbbe-cdbc6ed84bba.png

He looks like he stole his sister's Cabbage Patch Kid and turned into his personal sex toy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

I think this is the crux of the issue.  The media and fanbase are so starved for success and so cynical from bad decisions over the years there isn't much wiggle room or leeway for performance. I think the "Can't handle NY" This comes from this.  Players want to impress, they know if they start hot they can be the biggest thing ever as our fan bases here tend to blow guys up that are doing well.  However, this pressing sometimes leads to slow starts or inconsistency which NY fan bases in general have a hard time accepting.  So they pile on early which can break confidence in some guys. 

 

Its not that the media is too tough, or the fans are too tough.  I think sometimes players coming here have a hard time managing expectations and in tern just being themselves and tuning out everything else.  That to me is the NY effect. 

The cycle of building someone up and tearing them down spins faster in NY.

But I still believe things have changed since social media/camera phones - a lot of what used-to-be considered downsides of NY are now downsides everywhere: There's nowhere to hide anymore. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our beat writers were super soft on Gase. Maybe back when there was 8 channels and New York teams were on more. I'd say pitching in Yankee Stadium in October it makes sense for more. Not football

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Pretty much any big free agent the Mets have signed over the last 20 years but other than that I can’t think of anyone except maybe Ed Whitson and Sonny Gray from the Yankees.  Guess it’s only a baseball thing. 

I am with @Warfish and his theory BUT Whitson came to mind almost immediately.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Jason Bay? Whitson? Sonny Gray? 
 

Baker Mayfield did a post game interview last year and took 1 question. Do you really think that would fly in NY. 

Sanchez and Pennington tried something similar once and got roasted for it.

 

With the short porch, I don't really understand how ANY right-handed pitcher could have success at Yankee Stadium these days.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of the overwhelming popularity of the NFL I think it's less of a thing in football.

I think when guys from small market po-dunk franchises comet to the Yankees or Mets it's a different ballgame though. The media coverage of baseball in NYC is very different than Cincinnati or Oakland.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

You're right. I'm sure players and front office personnel for the Green Bay Packers routinely deal with their children being stalked by someone like this guy at their little league games.

 

24d096fe-bb89-4ea7-bbbe-cdbc6ed84bba.png

Yeah I also remember Cannizzaro writing some snotnosed hit-piece on Ferguson in his rookie summer. Think Brick kept walking away from him while being peppered with gotcha-attempt questions Mangini had already refused to answer because MC was still going through buddy Herm Edwards withdrawal symptoms.

My guess is this stuff exists more for coaches/GMs getting second-guessed than for players, though. But it's a fantasy that this stuff only goes on here. I think we just think so because we get it so much worse than the Giants. Well, news flash, most years we were worse than the Giants lol. They've even won a SB since 1970, if you can imagine that. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be quite honest, I think it has far more to do with New Yorkers self-image than anything in reality.

Reading the replies so far, that becomes clearer.  Be assured, the media in many cities is just as horrid and quick to turn and backstabby as that of NY.  You think the Washington Post, representing the Capital of the country and the heart of American politics, is some kind of backwater rag?  Lol.

Fans are fans.  When you play well, we love you.  When you suck, we boo you.  I've seen Nats fans boo Zimmerman, literally the face of our franchise since the day it restarted, because he wasn't as good as he was when he was a kid ffs!  NY'ers are unique for that kind of (I'd say mistreatment).

You think NY Jets Players have more pressure than Kansas City Chiefs players?  Or New England Patriot Players?  Or Dallas Cowboys players?  Lol, come on, seriously?  Even more, you think NY media takes Jets players as seriously as those players were taken at their colleges, especially the big super-football schools, where they were the sole focus of a massive football obsessed fanbase and small media?

The only thing about NY that IS special and semi-unique is the massive tax rates, amongst the worst in the Nation (right up with California).  THAT is a legit issue, as it takes money directly out of player pockets.  A few mean fans and sh*tty beat reporters?  You get them everywhere in 2020. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I am with @Warfish and his theory BUT Whitson came to mind almost immediately.

I had to do a little ggogle-fu on him it's so long ago now, lol.

Taken from his wikipedia page from when he was a Padre (pre-Yankees):

"Whitson later told family that he was so nervous before the game that he could barely walk to the mound." for his NLCS showing.

Perhaps Mr. Whitson was ill suited to ANY spotlight, not just that of the Yankees?

And playing under "No you fight me!" Billy Martin would be a stress for just about anyone, only specific to NY because Martin was specific to NY, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Because of the overwhelming popularity of the NFL I think it's less of a thing in football.

I think when guys from small market po-dunk franchises comet to the Yankees or Mets it's a different ballgame though. The media coverage of baseball in NYC is very different than Cincinnati or Oakland.

This could be true for the smallest Baseball markets or markets where Baseball is a third-tier priority, sure, I could see that.

I was focused on the NFL, but I could see a truly tiny-market Baseball player being at least initially a bit iffy about NY Baseball media, sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Because of the overwhelming popularity of the NFL I think it's less of a thing in football.

I think when guys from small market po-dunk franchises comet to the Yankees or Mets it's a different ballgame though. The media coverage of baseball in NYC is very different than Cincinnati or Oakland.

Moreover, now that I am NOT in NY any longer, I see Yankee games at other stadiums. Atlanta, Tampa, Cleveland, Baltimore, Washington for example.  The Yankees are the BIGGEST, by far, draw, in other stadiums. Even when on the road, they are the biggest game in town.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This line of thinking made sense before everyone in the world was connected at all times, there's no safe place no matter who you are or where you play anymore

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jetswin said:

not that i ever thought he was any good however Neil O' Donnell was horrific as a Jet after going to a Super Bowl

True, but I don't think it was "the pressure of playing for the Jets in NY" that did him in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...