The OTHER take of the 49ers moving to 3...

Not a chance. The Giants have been crucified for doing that exact thing. If they planned on that they would have traded down to Miami who inquired and then look to trade down again. I mean there will likely be only 1 non QB off the board when Miami picks at 6. Staying at 2 and selecting a player is incredibly bad value and JD is ALL about value.

34 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

THEY KNOW/FEEL THE JETS ARE NOT TAKING A QB....

To push back on the narrative a bit I find it amazing they give up so much for "either" guy. Usually you move up because you know the guy you are targeting. Also, if its not Wilson, it would be Fields. Fields has shown talent but no one has speculated a team give up so much for him. Maybe the 49ers are hinging on the Jets rolling with Darnold and taking a Sewell at 2 for example. Maybe a total shocker pick, a Pitts or Chase to help Darnold. If you think about it, much funnier things have happened and this would silence the JD critics that he has done nothing to fix the offensive line if he takes Sewell or hasnt given Sam "weapons" with a Pitts or Chase. He can still pick a playmaker at 23. This is the JETS, we have seen these odd picks before. Personally I wouldn't lose my mind sticking at 2 and getting an elite offensive weapon at 2 and rolling with Sam in year 4.  

So while conventional wisdom says if Jets stick with Darnold they HAVE to trade out of 2, I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe I'm totally wrong but we are all guessing at this point. I just find it very suspicious 49ers give up that much for the 3rd best QB in the draft. But hey maybe they did......

We will find out shortly....

Mac Jones, mark it down. He's NFL ready now. 

55 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

To push back on the narrative a bit I find it amazing they give up so much for "either" guy. Usually you move up because you know the guy you are targeting. Also, if its not Wilson, it would be Fields. Fields has shown talent but no one has speculated a team give up so much for him. Maybe the 49ers are hinging on the Jets rolling with Darnold and taking a Sewell at 2 for example. Maybe a total shocker pick, a Pitts or Chase to help Darnold. If you think about it, much funnier things have happened and this would silence the JD critics that he has done nothing to fix the offensive line if he takes Sewell or hasnt given Sam "weapons" with a Pitts or Chase. He can still pick a playmaker at 23. This is the JETS, we have seen these odd picks before. Personally I wouldn't lose my mind sticking at 2 and getting an elite offensive weapon at 2 and rolling with Sam in year 4.  

So while conventional wisdom says if Jets stick with Darnold they HAVE to trade out of 2, I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe I'm totally wrong but we are all guessing at this point. I just find it very suspicious 49ers give up that much for the 3rd best QB in the draft. But hey maybe they did......

while possible i just don't see them staying at two if that were the case.  they could trade the two pick and still pick up some serious oline and wr's with the picks they get this draft.  and then it will most likely carry into next season and beyond.  it might be hard to walk away from a deal that gets some additional picks this season plus no. 1's in 2022 ans 23.  they'd then have 3 first rounders in 2022 and at least 2 in 2023.  the downside is if darnold flops with good players then they'd have to use a lot of those accumulated picks to land the qb.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

In a vacuum this might make sense.  But the Jets were all over Wilson at his pro day and if the Jets arent taking a QB at 2 they have to be moving back and getting more picks.  If Im the Niners theres no way that Im moving to 3 knowing that the Jets will trade their pick and someone else will jump them for the second QB.  And No I dont think there is any chance Douglas stays at 2 and doesnt take a QB. Its just worth too much and the player selected will get a higher salary.  The first 3-4 picks are almost certainly going to be QBs so jumping back to the 6-10 range will guarantee you a blue chip offensive tackle, WR or TE plus a bunch of extra picks.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I wonder if the Niners could have a deal in place with the Jets to move up with a package that includes some players. Jets might want to make sure Jax does what everyone expects first? Coaches love to bring in some of their guys and so far I think they've only brought in Tevin Coleman?

probably a long shot, but another take

I think their cupboard has to be bare at this point.

51 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

In a vacuum this might make sense.  But the Jets were all over Wilson at his pro day and if the Jets arent taking a QB at 2 they have to be moving back and getting more picks.  If Im the Niners theres no way that Im moving to 3 knowing that the Jets will trade their pick and someone else will jump them for the second QB.  And No I dont think there is any chance Douglas stays at 2 and doesnt take a QB. Its just worth too much and the player selected will get a higher salary.  The first 3-4 picks are almost certainly going to be QBs so jumping back to the 6-10 range will guarantee you a blue chip offensive tackle, WR or TE plus a bunch of extra picks.

The Jets are attending all the QB pro days. Here is the thing, we are all looking at this via the Jets mindset that for some reason says WE HAVE to trade out of 2 if we dont take a QB. Im asking you to view the 49ers mindset of gambling that much to take Fields. Like i said maybe they truly believe in him but man thats alot for a guy whos prob a few years away.  I just think we have these blinders on the Jets wont take a Pitts, Chase or Sewell at 2 and im like ehhhhhh....likely? Prob not, but I dont see it out of the cards as so many do. 

Dont think JD not getting one of the big offensive lineman in FA isnt eating at him. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

The Jets are attending all the QB pro days. Here is the thing, we are all looking at this via the Jets mindset that for some reason says WE HAVE to trade out of 2 if we dont take a QB. Im asking you to view the 49ers mindset of gambling that much to take Fields. Like i said maybe they truly believe in him but man thats alot for a guy whos prob a few years away.  I just think we have these blinders on the Jets wont take a Pitts, Chase or Sewell at 2 and im like ehhhhhh....likely? Prob not, but I dont see it out of the cards as so many do. 

Dont think JD not getting one of the big offensive lineman in FA isnt eating at him. 

49ers are not taking Fields. It makes no sense since they did the trade before the pro day. Plus I think it has already been reported their main guys are going to see Jones again.

Lynch watched the Pro Day with the Jets. They know what the Jets are doing. And the Jets would be complete idiots to take a non QB at 2, Since likely the first 4 picks will be QBs. Just not happening. Teams learned from the Giants huge gaffe 3 years ago. You really think one of the most "value" oriented GMs is going to throw away like 2 first rounders of value to take someone that is likely there at 6?

Just cannot see it happening. And if it does, JD is a buffoon. 

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

.  The first 3-4 picks are almost certainly going to be QBs so jumping back to the 6-10 range will guarantee you a blue chip offensive tackle, WR or TE plus a bunch of extra picks.

Which is why I am all for trading back up to Top 10, say with Detroit in this years draft.  I would even use Seattle's 1 next year if I had to, something like 23, Seattle 1, and a 4th for 7 and a fifth. Then take Pitts/Smith/Waddle/Chase/Sewell. Only 2 of them will be gone at that point. And if SF takes Jones it could be just 1 with QBs going in 5 of first 6 picks.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

To push back on the narrative a bit I find it amazing they give up so much for "either" guy. Usually you move up because you know the guy you are targeting.

In 2018, the New York Jets traded the #6, #37 and #49 picks, as well as a 2019 2nd Round Pick to the Indianapolis Colts for the #3 overall Pick.

Sitting at pick #3, and with no advance knowledge of the plans of the Browns or Giants, the Jets traded up to #3 knowing they might get "the third guy" of that QB-heavy draft class.  In point of fact, most people expected both the Browns and Giants to take a QB, the fact the Giants did not is still reviled as a crazy decision to this day.

So yes, teams do trade up for "one of the two/three/whatever" at times, because we did exactly that, just a few short years ago.  We traded up to #3 knowing we could wind up with Josh Rosen or Allan if the Browns took Darnold (which many expected) and the Giants followed that up with Mayfield.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Im not saying that theres no way we take a non QB at 2 but I am willing to wager on it if youre interested.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Which is why I am all for trading back up to Top 10, say with Detroit in this years draft.  I would even use Seattle's 1 next year if I had to, something like 23, Seattle 1, and a 4th for 7 and a fifth. Then take Pitts/Smith/Waddle/Chase/Sewell. Only 2 of them will be gone at that point. And if SF takes Jones it could be just 1 with QBs going in 5 of first 6 picks.

I wouldnt trade next years first.  But I would trade 23 and Darnold or 23 and a third rder to move up to low to mid teens if some interesting prospects were to fall.  Im thinking one of the 3 top receivers or Pitts, maybe the linebacker with issues if he was to fall.  Wouldn t do it for anybody else