The OTHER take of the 49ers moving to 3...

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Jones isn’t getting the hype the other guys are getting  tho.  Why trade up

Because he's exactly the QB Shanahan wants and he cannot risk missing him by getting cute.

Besides, the "hype" has no basis in reality--none of us nor do any of the media types know what an FO is really thinking.  

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Icer said:

They are taking Mac Jones

This tweet essentially confirms that both they are taking Jones and that the Jets are taking Wilson, because the Jets at 2 don't have to hide as much. 49ers knew the Jets were taking Wilson before the trade. I mean it happened an hour after Wilson was measured. The draft now starts at 4.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Because he's exactly the QB Shanahan wants and he cannot risk missing him by getting cute.

Besides, the "hype" has no basis in reality--none of us nor do any of the media types know what an FO is really thinking.  

Wilson sandwiched in the draft between 2 good qbs

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Wilson sandwiched in the draft between 2 good qbs

Hahahahahaaaaaa.

You just said Mac hasn't been "getting the hype" that the other guys are getting and downplayed SF trading up for him.

Now all of a sudden he's the 2nd best QB in the draft?

Your troll game is strong.  

Sewell at #2 is a disaster for this team. We are not ‘potentially’ a minor upgrade at LT away from being competitive. If we were going with LT, it better be in a big trade down scenario. Something like the Miami trade, maybe trade down 4-5 spots twice and closer to the teens than the QB slots at #2. With 49ers breathing down their necks, Jets can ask a fortune to pick Wilson if someone was sold on him. 

Just don’t f*ck it up like Parcells did. Go with Wilson. It’s an easier choice to live with if he busts. No one regrets drafting Darnold. It was the only logical move at the time. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Only scenerio I could imagine this made sense for the 49ers other than they are happy with either of the second tier guys is they knew we had a trade in the works with the Bengals so they can get sewell. If the Jets wanted to trade the pick it doesn't make sense until draft night because the very slim chance lawrence fell you can't be the team that traded out and missed on him. I don't view wilson as a close second personally so I would be all for trading down unless lawrence was there which he won't be.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's extremely unlikely we'd stay at 2 if we weren't taking a QB.

That's Dave Gettlemanesque and if that's what's happening we should all be really concerned about JD.

I think back to JD's first press conference where he stressed that there are no shortcuts to success and that he's going to build the OL and DL to be the foundation of the team. If there aren't any trade offers that meet JD's valuation of the #2 OA I can see him taking the best non-QB premium position with the pick.

It all depends if JD thinks that Sam will at least as good as all the QB's in this draft besides TL. If he gives Sam the SF offensive system that fits his skill set and an OL and WR's.

Gettlemen took a RB at #2 when he needed a QB, Eli was 37 years old and he took a RB.

Sewell is a long shot at #2 but OL has the lowest bust rate of any position at the top of the draft and I won't fall off my chair if he's the pick at #2.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Jones is the second best qb in this draft.  He also impressed a lot of NFL scouts in senior bowl practices

You keep saying it hoping it will make it true, but it's not.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

NFC exec 1 on Jones: “I thought he did really well. I thought he threw the ball well, his accuracy was obvious. He had couple misses early, where you could see how competitive he is. He has a stronger arm than people think, he’s better athlete than people think. And the testing numbers show he’s a better athlete than people think. His movement in drills show it, he threw the ball well on the run.… It seems like he has a presence to him. The drawbacks may be thinking he’s a one-year guy, and there are the arguments on the talent around him. But nobody made those comments on [Joe] Burrow, right? I love Burrow, but he had a lot of good players around him.… I think Jones is a good player. I don’t think he’s elite. But he had good moments, and you saw at all year and at the pro day, the stage isn’t too big for him.”

AFC exec 1 on Jones: “He threw fine at the pro day, most guys do. … Athletically he’s just average. He fits into the pocket-passer category. Had enough arm strength, ball placement was a little off on some throws, but he’s very accurate, he showed a lot of that on film. … The guys love him. You heard ex-teammates chose him over Tua. He definitely has an outgoing personality, you could see him cheering his guys on. … If anything, you worry about the lack of athleticism, when he has to create on his own, and he’s not throwing to first-round receivers all over the place. … He’s not an upper-echelon athlete. Tom Brady isn’t either, but he compensates with anticipation, accuracy, experience. Mac will have to develop that.”

NFC exec 2 on Jones: “I thought it was an efficient workout, a workout that showed good arm strength, very good accuracy, and better athlete than you thought on tape. The impressive thing was that from the Senior Bowl to this workout, he’s improved. His footwork was better, his accuracy was better. And he was working with different receivers at the Senior Bowl, but his top guys at Bama weren’t working out, either. He seemed to have more arm at pro day. … I didn’t think there was anything he didn’t do well, nothing disappointed me. … I wouldn’t say he’s a first-rounder. I think he’ll be a solid pro, and that puts him in second or third round. But for me, not the first round.”

Literally nobody has him rated above Wilson (and I'm not even a Wilson guy).  He does have some people rating him above Fields, which confounds me, but it is what it is.  SF may still pick him ahead of Fields if they feel he matches their system and needs better, but you are trying very hard to fit the square peg into the round hole.  Good luck with your convictions.  It's a weird thing.  You may turn out to be right.

2 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I think back to JD's first press conference where he stressed that there are no shortcuts to success and that he's going to build the OL and DL to be the foundation of the team. If there aren't any trade offers that meet JD's valuation of the #2 OA I can see him taking the best non-QB premium position with the pick.

It all depends if JD thinks that Sam will at least as good as all the QB's in this draft besides TL. If he gives Sam the SF offensive system that fits his skill set and an OL and WR's.

Gettlemen took a RB at #2 when he needed a QB, Eli was 37 years old and he took a RB.

Sewell is a long shot at #2 but OL has the lowest bust rate of any position at the top of the draft and I won't fall off my chair if he's the pick at #2.

funny thing is if Gettleman drafted a QB it would probably have been Sam.

would we have took Allen?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aaron Hernandez said:

I haven't read anything beyond the topic in this thread. We're taking Zach Wilson. Love it or hate it, that's what's happening. SF talked to us first about giving up those picks, it wasn't happening. I don't know if I love it but I wanted Joe Dougles to make a definitive decision and he did

Ok, good source bro

4 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Sewell at #2 is a disaster for this team. We are not ‘potentially’ a minor upgrade at LT away from being competitive. If we were going with LT, it better be in a big trade down scenario. Something like the Miami trade, maybe trade down 4-5 spots twice and closer to the teens than the QB slots at #2. With 49ers breathing down their necks, Jets can ask a fortune to pick Wilson if someone was sold on him. 

Just don’t f*ck it up like Parcells did. Go with Wilson. It’s an easier choice to live with if he busts. No one regrets drafting Darnold. It was the only logical move at the time. 

So Wilson now = Peyton Manning?

I do agree Sewell is on the level of Orlando Pace

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

You keep saying it hoping it will make it true, but it's not.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/03/29/mmqb-inside-49ers-dolphins-trade-nfl-draft

Literally nobody has him rated above Wilson (and I'm not even a Wilson guy).  He does have some people rating him above Fields, which confounds me, but it is what it is.  SF may still pick him ahead of Fields if they feel he matches their system and needs better, but you are trying very hard to fit the square peg into the round hole.  Good luck with your convictions.  It's a weird thing.  You may turn out to be right.

Jones is going to have a better career than Zach Wilson.  Happy?

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

So Wilson now = Peyton Manning?

I do agree Sewell is on the level of Orlando Pace

No not that mistake. I meant the trading out of the top pick for super cheap and giving up the opportunity to draft one of 2 future hall of famers

9 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

THEY KNOW/FEEL THE JETS ARE NOT TAKING A QB....

To push back on the narrative a bit I find it amazing they give up so much for "either" guy. Usually you move up because you know the guy you are targeting. Also, if its not Wilson, it would be Fields. Fields has shown talent but no one has speculated a team give up so much for him. Maybe the 49ers are hinging on the Jets rolling with Darnold and taking a Sewell at 2 for example. Maybe a total shocker pick, a Pitts or Chase to help Darnold. If you think about it, much funnier things have happened and this would silence the JD critics that he has done nothing to fix the offensive line if he takes Sewell or hasnt given Sam "weapons" with a Pitts or Chase. He can still pick a playmaker at 23. This is the JETS, we have seen these odd picks before. Personally I wouldn't lose my mind sticking at 2 and getting an elite offensive weapon at 2 and rolling with Sam in year 4.  

So while conventional wisdom says if Jets stick with Darnold they HAVE to trade out of 2, I wouldn't be so sure. Maybe I'm totally wrong but we are all guessing at this point. I just find it very suspicious 49ers give up that much for the 3rd best QB in the draft. But hey maybe they did......

We will find out shortly....

If the Jets aren't taking a qb they would be trading the pick. If not Douglas should be fired. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

True but throwing in some players Saleh & Shanahan are familiar with plus some picks is worth more to the Jets than other teams. Just a thought that crossed my mind. Probably not happening.

49er MLB Fred Warner could make it possible!!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RSJ said:

I dont see why that would be the case. Franchise LTs are also very valuable incase you missed Mahomes running for his life last month.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

We have a left tackle thats why. Did you see what dolphins got for the 3rd pick? Not moving the pick would be criminal if they dont want wilson. Anyway they are taking wilso so none of this matters 

13 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Actually Allen would have been logical especially after Cleveland and the NY Jets pushed Mayfield ahead of Sam and Barkley was probably the No. 1 prospect on almost every NFL board in that draft. If we don't pick Sam at 3 he could easily have been the 4th or 5th QB off the board.  Sam was not the consensus No. 2 QB in that draft. 

6 hours ago, RSJ said:

I dont see why that would be the case. Franchise LTs are also very valuable incase you missed Mahomes running for his life last month.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

All the SB showed is it’s good to not be down to your backup LT in the SB after already being down to your backup RT, with 3 meh linemen playing in between them. Same with Green Bay.

Injuries to the starters were the main reason for the extra pressure sans blitzing; not because their planned 1st stringers were just pretty-good but not amazing.

For an apples to apples comparison: if/when Sewell gets injured for the big game the Jets will be no better off than KC/GB were vs Tampa.

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Actually Allen would have been logical especially after Cleveland and the NY Jets pushed Mayfield ahead of Sam and Barkley was probably the No. 1 prospect on almost every NFL board in that draft. If we don't pick Sam at 3 he could easily have been the 4th or 5th QB off the board.  Sam was not the consensus No. 2 QB in that draft. 

Yeah, he wasn’t. He was the first QB on probably 25 draft boards. For 2 years. 4th or 5th QB is a laughable statement. Sam wasn’t escaping top 3 in any scenario. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Yeah, he wasn’t. He was the first QB on probably 25 draft boards. For 2 years. 4th or 5th QB is a laughable statement. Sam wasn’t escaping top 3 in any scenario. 

There is absolutely no doubt that both Mayfield and Allen were ahead of Darnold on lots of NFL Draft boards.  It's highly likely that the No. 1 rated player in that draft on almost every draft board was Barkley.  Sam was a very flawed QB and has the personality of toast.