#23 - Who do you want?

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This was literally the worst offense in the NFL, with the least amount of talent.

We've upgraded by adding a #2 WR - that's it.  

I can't believe so many of you are advocating drafting defense.

We're bringing in another young QB - we need to help that kid with putting talent around.  First three rounds should be solely offense.

Saleh as a ex DC isnt going to ignore the defense till the 4th rd. and he shouldnt

if the defense cant stop anyone Wilson will be in more passing downs than he should trying to play catch up.

i think we can agree that after adding 2 WRs hes not going to waste a high pick on another one.

we need an OL , and RB but we have more pressing needs on defense.

whos are CBs?

Hall and Austin. ok whos CB3? Guidry? i sure hope not. and im not so sure on Hall and Austin.

now Poole and Mallet are still FAs. surprised that Poole hasnt signed. 

and this is JDs problem. using the cap money on mostly depth guys then filling starting spots. i know the game hes playing. he doesnt want to overpay. thats fine as long as he gets a good player . if he loses out on them cause of money we got a problem that needs to be addressed early on draft day. we will give up 50 pts a game with these corners.

were switching to the 4-3. whos are LBs?

we signed Davis, after him its Cashman, Phillips, Huff, Zuniga. Langi was released and Hewitt is still a FA. 

that is one scary set of LBs.

i give you #23 to pick an offesive guy, but #34 has to go defense. those corners really scare me.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, doitny said:

Saleh as a ex DC isnt going to ignore the defense till the 4th rd. and he shouldnt

if the defense cant stop anyone Wilson will be in more passing downs than he should trying to play catch up.

i think we can agree that after adding 2 WRs hes not going to waste a high pick on another one.

whos are CBs?

Hall and Austin. ok whos CB3? Guidry? i sure hope not. and im not so sure on Hall and Austin.

and this is JDs problem. using the cap money on mostly depth guys then filling starting spots. i know the game hes playing. he doesnt want to overpay. thats fine as long as he gets a good player . if he loses out on them cause of money we got a problem that needs to be addressed early on draft day. we will give up 50 pts a game with these corners.

we signed Davis, after him its Cashman, Phillips, Huff, Zuniga. Langi was released and Hewitt is still a FA. 

i give you #23 to pick an offesive guy, but #34 has to go defense. those corners really scare me.

This is and was by FAR my biggest worry , I hope and pray to all the gods Douglas does not take your point of view.

Oh we hired yet another D coordinator as our head coach now for the 20th year in a row we have to get him every thing he wants.

We have had the worst offense in the league the last two years and lousy before that.

We have already out spent on defense over offense in FA as usual, as always.

We have no good Rbs, we have no reliable TEs, we medium WR at best, our oline stinks on the whole.

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, doitny said:

whos are CBs?

I really can't disagree more.

I'll make this as simple as possible as to how I view it.

The defense wasn't great but it wasn't close to the worst in the league..

They've now added a top level edge rusher, upgraded DT and will have Mosley coming back...those are pretty good upgrades

The offense was the worst in the league and one of the worst of all times.  

They've upgraded by adding a #2 receiver.  Otherwise that offense is no better than it was

Now, you're brining in another young QB.  This is an offensive league.  Develop that QB and you'll be good for 15 years.  Don't and you're starting over again in three years.  Understanding those stakes - you must do everything you can to support that QB...

Lastly, while I understand the idea that defense can help the offense - the Jets simply can't afford to continue to upgrade the defense when the offense is so bad.  Saleh will have to scheme his way to getting the defense off the field.  There's enough talent there to keep that team competitive.  Right now there's not enough talent on the offense to keep them competitive.

Once you develop the QB you should expect him to carry the offense...That's when you can focus more on defense.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, #90 said:

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah

OLB - Notre Dame

* Best D player in college football. The kid is a BEAST.

(Perfect fit at weak side LB in our new 4-3 D)

I don't care if Lawrence Taylor is available. If the Jets don't protect Zach Wilson than nothing else matters.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

If Wilson is the pick (and I believe that will be the case) then #23 and #34 should both be used to select offensive players. One should be a lineman and the other a receiver or tight end. I'd even be happy if they packaged #34 with a midround pick (or Sam) to move back into the first if someone they like is within reach.

Defense can wait until later in the draft.

• Upvote 1

Geez this board is obsessed with defense and trading back...just take the best offensive player on your board this isn't complicated.  Also the only people who think last years trade back and passing on Claypool are Jet fans who think Mims is gonna be Randy Moss.

• Sympathy 1

I'd like to walk away with 2-3 of those guys after day 2.

T - Teven Jenkins

T/G - Alijah Vera-Tucker

T - Dillon Radunz

T - Walker Little

T - Alex Leatherwood

T - Sam Cosmi

T - Jackson Carman

T - Liam Eichenberg

T - Jalen Mayfield

T - Brady Christensen

T - James Hudson

C - Landon Dickerson

C/G -  Quinn Meinerz

G - Wyatt Davis

C - Creed Humphrey

G - Kendrick Green

G - Ben Cleveland

G - Trey Smith

• Upvote 1

there will be a superior football player available at 23 that plays EDGE, G, T, CB or even LB.  The Jets should take that player.  

If that player is not an OL, the next 2 players selected should be an OL.  That is why signing a FA CB is so important.   There are actually FA CBs available..  OL-we were lucky to sign Feeney.  

1 hour ago, Morrissey said:

I'd like to walk away with 2-3 of those guys after day 2.

T - Teven Jenkins

T/G - Alijah Vera-Tucker

T - Dillon Radunz

T - Walker Little

T - Alex Leatherwood

T - Sam Cosmi

T - Jackson Carman

T - Liam Eichenberg

T - Jalen Mayfield

T - Brady Christensen

T - James Hudson

C - Landon Dickerson

C/G -  Quinn Meinerz

G - Wyatt Davis

C - Creed Humphrey

G - Kendrick Green

G - Ben Cleveland

G - Trey Smith

Couple things I’d quibble with here or there but I largely like this list. I think most if not all of my favorites are on it.

Some of these guys will be available day three, two. All of them I think are in play day two, not saying they aren’t, but some will slide to day three.

Jets are going to repeat the Ashtyn Davis pick at tackle in the third round this year IMO. Roster, value, and scheme fits line up perfectly for it. Quality depth for a year and then take over for Fant (with of course the option to outplay him if that happens).

On 3/29/2021 at 12:24 PM, K_O_Brien said:

Alijah Vera Tucker

Tevan Jenkins

Wyatt Davis

Jaycee Horn 

Zaven Collins

Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah

This.

Owusu-Koromoah is risky for me because he doesn't have a true position and his coverage skills may not translate to the NFL. We learned the hard way with Darron Lee.

Also, I would add Jaylen Mayfield to this list as well as Jaelan Phillips and Terrace Marshall Jr.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:12 PM, doitny said:

whos are CBs?

I do not understand this mindset at all. And I see it here all the time that we need fix everything on defense before addressing offense. 

If Saleh wants to do defense, then it is JD's job to tell him no.

If we draft Wilson. nothing else matters AT ALL other than protecting him and providing weapons.

I literally do not care what our LB group and CB group I am not going to draft for need at those positions.

We signed quite a few defensive players (again) and very little on offense (again)

But if we draft Wilson we cannot repeat the mistake of 2018 when 3 of the next 4 picks were defense, and the 1 offensive player was a receiving TE

Our OL is our worst group. And we did not address it in FA. We have a promising LT, an OK center and an OK LT. We have gaping oozing necrotic sores at G and C and RT can definitely be improved.

CB is not in the same world as OL in terms of need. And with Wilson it is an order of magnitude higher.

Essentially 23 and 34 both need to be OL. And we need to move up if needed.

Don't let Wilson get injured. Don't let him get gun shy. Opposing teams can hang a fifty burger on us every game.

ALL that matters is protecting Wilson and developing him. Address D later. And I have to be honest I am at best lukewarm with Saleh because I see us repeating the same "defense always" philosophy in the draft.

Indy did not protect Luck. He eventually quite because it wasn't worth the effort.

I can't believe anyone is suggesting we go QB, and then prioritize CB and linebacker  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I do not understand this mindset at all. And I see it here all the time that we need fix everything on defense before addressing offense. 

If we draft Wilson. nothing else matters AT ALL other than protecting him and providing weapons.

I literally do not care what our LB group and CB group I am not going to draft for need at those positions.

We signed quite a few defensive players (again) and very little on offense (again)

But if we draft Wilson we cannot repeat the mistake of 2018 when 3 of the next 4 picks were defense, and the 1 offensive player was a receiving TE

Our OL is our worst group. And we did not address it in FA. We have a promising LT, an OK center and an OK LT. We have gaping oozing necrotic sores at G and C and RT can definitely be improved.

CB is not in the same world as OL in terms of need. And with Wilson it is an order of magnitude higher.

Don't let Wilson get injured. Don't let him get gun shy. Opposing teams can hang a fifty burger on us every game.

ALL that matters is protecting Wilson and developing him. Address D later. And I have to be honest I am at best lukewarm with Saleh because I see us repeating the same "defense always" philosophy in the draft.

Indy did not protect Luck. He eventually quite because it wasn't worth the effort.

I can't believe anyone is suggesting we go QB, and then prioritize CB and linebacker  

Top 30 Slow Clap GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If I see any defensive player picked before round 3 my head will explode. 

After Wilson I want C G WR in no particular order in rounds 1-2. 

No exceptions. Saleh is a defensive genius, let him figure it out with what we have. 

We MUST put Wilson in the best position to succeed. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

If I see any defensive player picked before round 3 my head will explode. 

After Wilson I want C G WR in no particular order in rounds 1-2. 

No exceptions. Saleh is a defensive genius, let him figure it out with what we have. 

We MUST put Wilson in the best position to succeed. 

JD doesn’t like OL 

On 3/29/2021 at 4:06 PM, shuler82 said:

I get it. But I also don’t think the offense is in bad shape. The WR room is the best they’ve had in forever, even without a ‘#1’. RBs by committee is fine, and perhaps they draft one in the mid rounds. There’s no TE at 23 worth grabbing.. but yes, I hope they target one later.  The guards need an upgrade, but you should be able to find one to plug in during rounds 3/4. Plus a good offensive system and decisive QB makes the entire OL look better, and everything I’ve read claims Fant, McGovern and GVR are better suited for the new zone blocking scheme. That said, If a good OL prospect slips maybe JD uses 23 or 34. 

The issue is as of today we have Cashman, Davis, Austin and Hall listed in four starting spots. The leads me to think we’re grabbing CB and/or OLB early.. it’s a new regime with no links to the previous drafts, so going offense at all costs probably isn’t their plan.

Where are you seeing Cashman starting? OLB? 

On 3/29/2021 at 4:14 PM, Dcat said:

Someone posted a possibility of Darnold and 23 to Denver for 9.  The thought of that happening has occupied my head all f-ing day.  Not sure which of the gems I'd be taking at 9, but I want to be there.

I'd be beyond happy with this, even if it cost more than that, tbh. Its just that from what we've seen so far from JD, I just CAN'T see this happening. He has done nothing but be conservative with money and make moves to add extra draft capital. I'm not knocking either approach, I'm still in wait and see mode, giving him the benefit of the doubt (for now). 

But until I see him make a trade for something where he is giving up picks... IDK, I'll believe it when I see it. 

22 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Where are you seeing Cashman starting? OLB? 

Personally I don’t see him starting anywhere... but most current depth charts have him sliding to OLB in the 4-3 and the only ones currently on the roster are  him and Davis. We’re going to be drafting a LB high.

• Upvote 1

Position Wise - I'd eliminate Edge & WR - I'd rather see what JFM/Zuniga/Curry can do at the other edge spot, similar to WR I'd rather see what Mims can do - Cole is a decent option as well. We need to keep adding talent at those positions but we don't have the luxury to use a 1st rounder on them IMO post FA. 

The three positions I'm targetting, of which there are many great options would be OL (primarily IOL), CB, and OLB. I'd take any of the following if they are there: 

OLB: JOK

CB: Jaycee Horn, Greg Newsome - MAYBE Caleb Farley depending on the medicals

OL: Teven Jenkens, AVT

Outside of those guys, I am doing everything I can to trade back. I believe those players offer a premium to the next wave of players at their position and I believe the majority of the next tier guys will be picked between 23-and our first 3rd rounder. I'd try and move back with pick 23, and then either use that additional capital to move back into the 2nd with Seattle's 3rd rounder (or if we get a 2nd for Sam, or package Sam and Seattles 3rd - any way to get as many mid 2nd round picks as possible). 

In the 2nd round the players I'd want to target are: 

OLB: Zaven Collins, Jabril Cox

CB: Kelvin Joseph, Tyson Campbell, Ifeatu Something from Syracuse, Eric Stokes

OL: Landon Dickerson, Creed Humphry, Alex Leatherwood, Jalen Mayfield, Quin Meinerez, Kendrick Green, Wyatt Davis

I'd rather have two shots at the 2nd tier guys than to pick one from that group at 23.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 3/29/2021 at 4:55 PM, Morrissey said:

I’d be a pig in sh*t if this was our first 4 picks. Hopefully we sign Nelson via FA.

F0234022-928D-4498-BC18-80E9BDFB71A9.jpeg.bc24c02d7f51cf0384dbffdbfdf19676.jpeg

Agreed. Its funny, I did 5 mocks just for kicks and twice they had TL dropping to us. I guess the algorithm for the sim tries to throw in some wild cards here and there so it's not too boring. A lot of times I see Humphrey dropping to our pick at 66 also ??‍♂️

April can't pass fast enough. 

Screenshot_20210401-144839_Chrome.jpg