I have to admit that I have never seen Joe Namath play as I am a relatively young fan (21). I also fully acknowledge that Joe Namath IMO is the greatest "Jet" of all time due to the super bowl, only 4000 yard season, the guarantee, probably still the face of franchise, and many other accolades.  But as good as Joe Namath was, at Revis's respective position, was he better at his job than Namath was at his? There is a real argument to be made Revis is a top three CB of all time and definitely top 5. As well as his 2009 campaign being the best season from a cornerback to ever play.  Nobody would look at Namath in that tier of QB's. So In short what I am asking is, Although Namath was the greatest "Jet" of all time, Was Revis the greatest "player"?

• Thumb Down 3
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Revis was the best player at his position during his era.

Namath by a mile!!!

Revis was unquestionably a better DB than Namath was a QB.  Namath is one of the worst QB's in the HOF. Revis will be in the top 2-3 CB's in the HOF. And don't worry, I'm 45, and I neve

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

I have to admit that I have never seen Joe Namath play as I am a relatively young fan (21). I also fully acknowledge that Joe Namath IMO is the greatest "Jet" of all time due to the super bowl, only 4000 yard season, the guarantee, probably still the face of franchise, and many other accolades.  But as good as Joe Namath was, at Revis's respective position, was he better at his job than Namath was at his? There is a real argument to be made Revis is a top three CB of all time and definitely top 5. As well as his 2009 campaign being the best season from a cornerback to ever play.  Nobody would look at Namath in that tier of QB's. So In short what I am asking is, Although Namath was the greatest "Jet" of all time, Was Revis the greatest "player"?

Top 3?  Give me a break.  Gil Brandt put together a list of all-time NFL CBs. Revis was not even top 10. He ranked 16th.   https://www.nfl.com/photos/gil-brandt-s-greatest-nfl-cornerbacks-of-all-time-0ap3000000815951 

I saw both play and Namath's impact on the Jets was so much greater than Revis' it's not even a close argument.  Add in that Namath was a QB and Revis a CB.  Then throw in that Revis never gave a crap about winning - or anything other than his contract.  Then top it off with Revis covering 1 player out of 11 on offense and how that didn't help when a team went 3-4 wide.  Revis was a great cover corner for 3-4 years.  Namath was one of the best players in pro football for 4-5 years. No comparison.

• Upvote 3

It's 'Darrelle' not "Darelle". 

On a more serious note, Curtis Martin and Darrelle Revis are my two favorite Jets of All-Time but unfortunately one was a RB and the other a CB; and none of them could do what Joe Namath did @ QB (win us a Super Bowl). 

Namath was before my time but he's still the greatest Jet of All-Time. 

However, if Revis would've led us to a SB win during either 2009/2010? #24 would've gone down as the greatest Jet of All-Time. 

Joe Namath is still the greatest and I pray to God we win another SB during his lifetime; this way I can see him make guaranteed predictions and dance/celebrate just one more time for NY. 

• Upvote 2

Revis was probably the best player, but biggest a$$hole I've ever seen in his prime. Honestly better than anyone in football given the era and what he did. As much as I dislike him now, has anyone seen anyone close to his prime years? Joe though played the most important position and won us a SB

Edit: Honestly I doubt we ever see a corner like Revis again with the modern NFL rules and he shut people down with it

I would pick Revis.  But if he was my favorite all time Jet then I would probably have to pay him an hourly rate for this privilege.  So I am going with Joe. 

(seriously, the love for Joe Namath is incredible.  My dad.  My uncles.  He's this high point for football for them.  The sun is always shining.  The quality of play was perfect.  Everything about the NFL was new.  He saved a franchise and was the face of a whole new era.) 

For the past 27 years or so years as a Jets fan, my life has been none of those things.  Not shiny, or perfect.... or anything fun really.

• Upvote 2

I get all the Revis hate and Namath love. But, Revis was first team all pro 4 times. Joe won that once, aided by the SB victory.  Revis could never touch Joe when it comes to the fans in this city.   But Revis is the better player at his position 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Long time Jet fan here.  Let's not forget Johnny Sample.  The only player to win an NFL championship (he won two of them), an AFL championship and a World Championship.  The latter in Super Bowl III for the NY Jets.  A five time second team all-pro and first team in 1961 he also returned punts and kickoffs throughout his illustrious career. 

In the Super Bowl, he not only had a crucial pick, he knocked the Colts star tight end - Mackey - out of the game with a strategically placed cleat (yeah, there).   His leadership - he was co-captain with Joe - was crucial to the young Jets team in standing up to the Colts in that 16-7 victory. 

Revis was a great professional.  But his career does not measure up to Sample.  I believe he is not in Canton because he left the NFL for the AFL and wrote a "Ball Four" tell all autobiography known for its bluntness.  He also sued the NFL when they claimed that his friend - "Big Daddy" Lipscomb - had died of a drug overdose.  Sample sued them and forced a retraction.

I think he belongs in Canton and I believe that he - along with Joe Klecko - will be inducted one day.   He was a true original.

• Upvote 1

Revis was the single best position player that we ever drafted and played for our team.  It's not even debatable.   There's a slight argument that Winston Hill was close.  If you watched the SB Hill was unquestionable the best player on the team.  He manhandled the vaunted Baltimore Front and linebackers.  He was at the second level blocking for Snell the entire game.  

• Upvote 3
9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

FUKK Revis. 2 holdouts, always him first.

GREAT player, bigger ego. 

Namath may have banged Raquel Welch  THAT puts him number one   

Namath sat out because of a nightclub he owned

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Namath was a better QB during his prime than Revis was a CB in his prime.

That is incorrect, Revis was the best cover corner of all time during his prime.  During Joe's prime(which I would say was 66-69) he threw 79 TDs and 89 Ints.  He had more 20 int seasons than 20 TD seasons.

20 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That is incorrect, Revis was the best cover corner of all time during his prime.  During Joe's prime(which I would say was 66-69) he threw 79 TDs and 89 Ints.  He had more 20 int seasons than 20 TD seasons.

While I agree, it was closer to the truth than I think you or most here are giving Joe credit for...

Can’t just look at Joe’s numbers it was a different time - but if you’re going to - He threw for 4,000 yards in a 12 game season - when no one was even close to touching those numbers.  

For a short period of time Joe was amazing - his knees just didn’t hold up...

• Upvote 2
8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Top 3?  Give me a break.  Gil Brandt put together a list of all-time NFL CBs. Revis was not even top 10. He ranked 16th.   https://www.nfl.com/photos/gil-brandt-s-greatest-nfl-cornerbacks-of-all-time-0ap3000000815951 

I saw both play and Namath's impact on the Jets was so much greater than Revis' it's not even a close argument.  Add in that Namath was a QB and Revis a CB.  Then throw in that Revis never gave a crap about winning - or anything other than his contract.  Then top it off with Revis covering 1 player out of 11 on offense and how that didn't help when a team went 3-4 wide.  Revis was a great cover corner for 3-4 years.  Namath was one of the best players in pro football for 4-5 years. No comparison.

Saw Namath win SB III and I have to agree with my fellow old guy here that It's Not. Even. Close.

• Upvote 3