Joe Namath Vs Darelle Revis

On 3/30/2021 at 12:30 PM, Greenbloodblitz said:

Okay so now I'll chime in! A few of you guys on here definitely got it right. Joe Namath changed football forever. He's iconic just like the Beatles, Muhammad Ali, Star Wars, John F Kennedy and Martin Luther King.

My father who is now 74 years old said that he watched Namath at Alabama and said he was the greatest football player he ever saw.

What's unfortunate is that younger Generations in general don't understand the struggle and The Changing Times that there were then. In fact they won't understand it until they're in their 40s or 50s. That's just how it is..

Unless you're a historian you can only wax poetic about how great Led Zeppelin was or Jimi Hendrix or the day Bob Dylan plugged in. Or Cassius Clay changing his name to Muhammad Ali and refusing to fight in the Vietnam War.

People were waiting in line for days to see Star Wars. But after all that was when you actually had to wait in line to get concert or movie tickets.

I would think that these days people who actually remember having a beeper LOL, would look back on NWA and Public Enemy as the original hardcore hip-hop!? Maybe even popping an old CD in every now and then?

So my point is unless you're a historian you can't understand what it would have been like to have been there and why these times are so important to each individual generation.

I will say this to the younger guys, that as times change and the world changes around you you will one day hear somebody 20 years younger than you completely disrespect something very endearing to you and you'll tell them they don't know what the f*** they're talkin about!

Trust me I'm spitting absolute truth! Weed was way better when it wasn't legal. You'll see. More so someday you'll understand.

Weed wasn't meant to be sold in stores it was meant for the cool kids and the bad kids who had connections and to break the rules and say f*** you to The Man.

Revis was an excellent player but he was cut from the same cloth as a long line of Muhammad Ali and Neon Deion Sanders wannabes, guys who are good but they're definitely not the original.

One last thought and I'm going to bring Iron Mike Tyson into the mix. For as much of a derelict as this guy was when he was young , you have never once heard him speak negative on anybody in boxing history. He's a boxing historian that has total love and respect for the sport and the people who made it and came before him.

I happen to know some things about a few things. I know that a guy named Jimi Hendrix opened up for a band called The Pink Floyd and in the audience was Paul McCartney, Pete Townsend, Keith Richards, and Eric Clapton. They were all there sitting together to watch this new guy that they heard about, who was about to change everything.

So that's my Peace.

"The bus came by and I got on...."

Great rant!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

The bottom line is his Ints killed them that year.

I wish I had a chance to watch a mostly healthy Namath play.  I wish he was mostly healthy throughout his career.  I know how great his ability was before injuries robbed that from him

You're contention that he killed the Jets is simply ignorance.  Those Jets teams were built and they weren't good in Joe's first couple of years.  There was a core drafted around him that all matured together.  Blaming Namath for our first winning season ever is a little over the top don't you think?  

He was in his third year of pro ball.  He made the Jets and the AFL credible enough to be merged into the NFL because he was fun to watch and he got the team and the league ratings.  The next year he matured and lead us to a SB against one of the greatest teams in NFL history.  

Before drafting Namath the NY Jets had never had a winning season.  The season you're bitching about was Namath's second year as a full time starter.  He didn't start as a rookie until game 6.  That season was another losing season.  The following season we were 500.  The season you blame on Namath was the first winning season in the NY Jets franchise history.   In the following year Namath and the NY Jets won the championship against what at the time was considered the greatest football team in NFL history.  

Posting stats is not facts that prove a theory.  There is context.  He didn't have a script, he called all the plays, he didn't game manage.  He figured it out and he and the team got better.  He made the team relevant to the point that today he is still the most iconic football player in NY Jets history.   The entire country tuned into Jets games because of Joe Namath.  People loved him.  He was a blast and a hell of a good QB.  He came in with no script.  He and the team matured and got better and won a championship.  He is a World Champion and he was great.  He wasn't the greatest ever and doesn't belong in that conversation.  He was simply great enough to belong in the HOF based on what he did.  The fact that he was beloved by the fan base and had the courage to give the team the confidence it needed going into a game against a powerhouse team is not the reason he's in the HOF.  The people who vote saw him and knew he deserved it as a player.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You're contention that he killed the Jets based on what the Jets was is simply ignorance.  Those Jets teams were built and they weren't good in Joe's first couple of years.  There was a core drafted around him that all matured together.  Blaming Namath for our first winning season ever is a little over the top don't you think?  

He was in his third year of pro ball.  He made the Jets and the AFL credible enough to be merged into the NFL because he was fun to watch and he got the team and the league ratings.  The next year he matured and lead us to a SB against one of the greatest teams in NFL history.  

Before drafting Namath the NY Jets had never had a winning season.  The season you're bitching about was Namath's second year as a full time starter.  He didn't start as a rookie until game 6.  That season was another losing season.  The following season we were 500.  The season you blame on Namath was the first winning season in the NY Jets franchise history.   In the following year Namath and the NY Jets won the championship against what at the time was considered the greatest football team in NFL history.  

Posting stats is not facts that prove a theory.  There is context.  He didn't have a script, he called all the plays, he didn't game manage.  He figured it out and he and the team got better.  He made the team relevant to the point that today he is still the most iconic football player in NY Jets history.   The entire country tuned into Jets games because of Joe Namath.  People loved him.  He was a blast and a hell of a good QB.  He came in with no script.  He and the team matured and got better and won a championship.  He is a World Champion and he was great.  He wasn't the greatest ever and doesn't belong in that conversation.  He was simply great enough to belong in the HOF based on what he did.  The fact that he was beloved by the fan base and had the courage to give the team the confidence it needed going into a game against a powerhouse team is not the reason he's in the HOF.  The people who vote saw him and knew he deserved it as a player.

He killed them in 1967 with his interceptions, that is a fact, but please keep telling me about all that yards.

Please don't changev the discussion, at no point have I judged him solely on numbers.  I understand he was great for about an a 4-5 stretch but his Ints cost them the 1967 division title.  I'm not insulting Joe, I'm stating a fact.

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He killed them in 1967 with his interceptions, that is a fact, but please keep telling me about all that yards.

Please don't changev the discussion, at no point have I judged him solely on numbers.  I understand he was great for about an a 4-5 stretch but his Ints cost them the 1967 division title.  I'm not insulting Joe, I'm stating a fact.

Not a fact.  You have not shown any evidence that he's INT's were the reason for any Jets loss.  You also ignore any evidence that his passing yards may have produced wins.  You are judging him solely on numbers.  Get me the game situations were his INT's were the sole reason for the Jets not winning the division.  You're looking at the surface.  You have no clue of the down distance score or situation.  

• Upvote 1

Until Revis blew out his knee, nobody even threw at the guy. Including Peyton Manning in playoff games. Think about that for a second. One of the greatest QBs of all time didnt even throw in his direction - in a friggen playoff game. Teams routinely didnt challenge him for seasons at a time. Other corners have more INTs because QBs threw in their direction - because they werent as good as Revis ever was. 

From about 2008 to 2012 he was the best defensive player in football. Guy was an unreal player. Not only was he the best cover corner, he was also the best tackling corner. Easily the best Jets player of all-time. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barton said:

Until Revis blew out his knee, nobody even threw at the guy. Including Peyton Manning in playoff games. Think about that for a second. One of the greatest QBs of all time didnt even throw in his direction - in a friggen playoff game. 

From about 2008 to 2012 he was the best defensive player in football. Guy was an unreal player. Not only was he the best cover corner, he was also the best tackling corner. Easily the best Jets player of all-time. 

He got thrown at in 11 and 12. Just curious...how would you compare Revis' prime where he just took someone away vs a Ronde Barber who was constantly causing turnovers and negative plays? Ronde did this for like 13 seasons plus too. Rod Woodson as well.

With analytics now etc...a secondary player getting in the backfield and having his hands on the ball as much as he did probably won more games than just taking away a receiver. 

turnovers > coverage imo

12 hours ago, Biggs said:

Not a fact.  You have not shown any evidence that he's INT's were the reason for any Jets loss.  You also ignore any evidence that his passing yards may have produced wins.  You are judging him solely on numbers.  Get me the game situations were his INT's were the sole reason for the Jets not winning the division.  You're looking at the surface.  You have no clue of the down distance score or situation.  

Kids who weren’t even born looking up statz ignoring all context. 

Strong opinions based on the opinions of others with no knowledge of what they spew. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He got thrown at in 11 and 12. Just curious...how would you compare Revis' prime where he just took someone away vs a Ronde Barber who was constantly causing turnovers and negative plays? Ronde did this for like 13 seasons plus too. Rod Woodson as well.

With analytics now etc...a secondary player getting in the backfield and having his hands on the ball as much as he did probably won more games than just taking away a receiver. 

turnovers > coverage imo

How many TDs did he give up from 2008 through 2012? 4? 

I dont recall anyone really throwing at him more in 11' and 12' than 09 or 10'. Maybe they did by a fraction, I dont know.

Revis literally took whoever he was covering out of the game. It was unreal. We might never see it again. 

Your question is interesting. I dont have the answer in terms of analytics. But lets also consider the value that Revis allowed his defensive coordinator to blitz more or shift coverages to cover deficiences in other players/units on the defense. Barber was more part of the scheme he played in. Revis CREATED a scheme for the defense. 

It's a shame he blew out his knee because I think that really set back his late 20's and early 30's, where he could have still been as dominant. If that had never happened, I dont think anyone would question whether he was the best corner of all-time or not. JMO.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Barton said:

Until Revis blew out his knee, nobody even threw at the guy. Including Peyton Manning in playoff games. Think about that for a second. One of the greatest QBs of all time didnt even throw in his direction - in a friggen playoff game. Teams routinely didnt challenge him for seasons at a time. Other corners have more INTs because QBs threw in their direction - because they werent as good as Revis ever was. 

Manning didn’t throw at him because he didn’t have to. Yes Revis was  a phenomenal shut down corner for 2-3 seasons, but in the modern NFL that is not that important or game changing. Indy went 3-4 wide vs the Jets in the 2nd half of the AFC title game in 09 and picked the Jets apart. Yes Revis kept Wayne in check, but Garçon and Collie tore it up vs the the other CBs. You just can’t compare a QB to a CB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 9:08 AM, Biggs said:

They lost the division because of a tie.  In that tie he threw 1 TD and SIX Ints including 2 of them returned fire TDs.  Just stop it.

Putting that aside, the Jets were 7-2-1 with 4 games to play with a 1 game lead for the division.  Over the next 3 games he threw NINE Ints in 3 losses.  A day before the final game of the regular season houston won and clinched the division then with nothing on the line Joe was spectacular throwing 4 TDs with zero Ints in a meaningless game.

Joe's Ints absolutely cost the New York Jets the 1967 AFL Eastern division championship.

On 4/3/2021 at 10:32 AM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Manning didn’t throw at him because he didn’t have to. Yes Revis was  a phenomenal shut down corner for 2-3 seasons, but in the modern NFL that is not that important or game changing. Indy went 3-4 wide vs the Jets in the 2nd half of the AFC title game in 09 and picked the Jets apart. Yes Revis kept Wayne in check, but Garçon and Collie tore it up vs the the other CBs. You just can’t compare a QB to a CB. 

How about the next year in the playoffs when again he completely shut down there best WR again?

QB is a much note important position than corner without a doubt and how was our most important player but Revis was a much better corner than namath a QB.  It's not even debatable.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:29 PM, Peace Frog said:

Kids who weren’t even born looking up statz ignoring all context. 

Strong opinions based on the opinions of others with no knowledge of what they spew. 

I didn't realize throwing 6 Ints including 2 pick 6's in a tie game that eventually was the difference in the division title was meaningless.  Who knew?  Who cares about Ints costing games as long as you can throw for a lot of yards and lose! ??

On 4/2/2021 at 9:17 PM, Matt39 said:

turnovers > coverage imo

He was a million times better than barber or either of the woodsons(rod was a much better S than CB by the way).  ronde played  on an all time great D and wasn't following the next WRs anywhere.  That D was about sapp and brooks and others.

Remember when we had Ty Law in 05?  I think he had 10 Ints but he was awful that season.  Ints can be very overrated fire a CB.  Revis dominated like no CB before him.  Unfortunately his peak didn't last as long as we wanted but he was still great even after the injury until 2016 when it fell apart

On 4/2/2021 at 9:08 PM, Charlie Brown said:

LT of the Giants was the best player I have ever seen --- just saying........

No question about it, he's the best D player of all time.  People forget how bad the giants were when they drafted him.  Their last playoff app was 1963, he changed everything for that franchise.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

They lost the division because of a tie.  In that tie he threw 1 TD and SIX Ints including 2 of them returned fire TDs.  Just stop it.

Putting that aside, the Jets were 7-2-1 with 4 games to play with a 1 game lead for the division.  Over the next 3 games he threw NINE Ints in 3 losses.  A day before the final game of the regular season houston won and clinched the division then with nothing on the line Joe was spectacular throwing 4 TDs with zero Ints in a meaningless game.

Joe's Ints absolutely cost the New York Jets the 1967 AFL Eastern division championship.

Again wrong.  Houston had a better record than the Jets that year.  In the tie game Namath lead the Jets to a 17 0 half time lead.  In the clossing seconds of the first half he lead them into field goal range.  The field goal was blocked and returned for a 71 yard TD.  That's 10 points in a tie game where Namath wasn't on the field and the Houston O wasn't on the field.  

Joe lead the Jets to their first winning season ever in 1967.  The following year he and the Jets won the championship. Your obsession with 1967, Joe's third year in the league and the first year the NY Jets ever had a winning record seems almost absurd for a Jets fan.  If Darnold had lead us to an 8 7 and 1 record last year he would still be on the team and we would have a much brighter future.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2021 at 8:23 AM, Matt39 said:

He dominated for 2 seasons. Rod Woodson has like 70 career interceptions lol. They are not close.

Thats wrong.  Youre confusing that he had the two best seasons by a cb with he only dominated two seasons

Revis didnt get interceptions because his WR was ignored because Revis was covering him.  You cant get 70 ints if the QB refuses to throw your way

35 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He was a million times better than barber or either of the woodsons(rod was a much better S than CB by the way).  ronde played  on an all time great D and wasn't following the next WRs anywhere.  That D was about sapp and brooks and others.

Remember when we had Ty Law in 05?  I think he had 10 Ints but he was awful that season.  Ints can be very overrated fire a CB.  Revis dominated like no CB before him.  Unfortunately his peak didn't last as long as we wanted but he was still great even after the injury until 2016 when it fell apart

Turnovers are overrated. Okay

On 4/2/2021 at 9:08 PM, Charlie Brown said:

LT of the Giants was the best player I have ever seen --- just saying........

There was a thread asking who people thought was the greatest player of all time, I said LT and got the most interesting responses.  One even went off saying that he was the most overrated player ever, that he sold out for sacks and could routinely get beaten because of it 

Total nonsense

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Again wrong.  Houston had a better record than the Jets that year.  In the tie game Namath lead the Jets to a 17 0 half time lead.  In the clossing seconds of the first half he lead them into field goal range.  The field goal was blocked and returned for a 71 yard TD.  That's 10 points in a tie game where Namath wasn't on the field and the Houston O wasn't on the field.  

Joe lead the Jets to their first winning season ever in 1967.  The following year he and the Jets won the championship. Your obsession with 1967, Joe's third year in the league and the first year the NY Jets ever had a winning record seems almost absurd for a Jets fan.  If Darnold had lead us to an 8 7 and 1 record last year he would still be on the team and we would have a much brighter future.  

Houston finished ahead because of that game.  If the jets win that game both teams are 9-5.  I'm not 100% sure if the tiebreaking procedures back then but the Jets would either have won based on winning the only head to head matchup or at worst played a playoff game for the division title.

So they didn't have a 17-0 halftime lead if the blocked kick was returned at the end of the first half?  Not Joe's fault but throwing a pick 6 to cut it to 17-14 was, right? Then trailing 21-20 throwing another pick 6.  Oh and did any of the other FOUR Ints hurt them that day in a tie game?

The Jets had an excellent team around Joe, there was no excuse to fall short in 1967.  You cannot compare what Darnold had compared to Joe. 

They started out struggling in '68 until they started throwing less. They were 3-2(including losing to eventual 1 win buffalo) where he threw 12 Ints in those first 5 games.  He averaged an impressive  268 yds a game during that stretch.  The rest of the season he averaged 201 yds and threw only 5 Ints.  Amazing coincidence how they went 8-1 then won a SB playing like that.

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Turnovers are overrated. Okay

Watch ty law 2005.  10 Ints is really impressive but they picked on him all year long.

As a corner Rod Woodson had over 6 Ints ONE time (8), as a S he had over 6 Ints twice(7 & 8 ) despite playing 11 seasons at CB and only 5 at S.

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

He's just looking at statz.  No context.  A weird hate hill to die on.  

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

He's just looking at statz.  No context.  A weird hate hill to die on.  

Ok, please explain to me with context how throwing 6 Ints including 2 pick 6's didn't cost the jets in a tie game that ultimately cost them the division?

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

And he's actually arguing that turnovers don't matter in accessing a CB in the same thread.  

At no point did I say TOs don't matter but fans that rely on int totals to judge CB play do not understand how to evaluate CBs.  That's very different than 2 pick 6s and 6 Ints in a tie game that cost the division, right?

12 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

At no point did I say TOs don't matter but fans that rely on int totals to judge CB play do not understand how to evaluate CBs.  That's very different than 2 pick 6s and 6 Ints in a tie game that cost the division, right?

You're implying two things.  

First that a you're not just a fan that you have some added insight beyond other fans on this forum.  Clearly complete BS or a complete lack of transparancy on your part.  I suspect BS, since I have a long history of reading your posts and don't see any particular insight that goes beyond the average poster on this board, myself included.

Lets assume you actually have some insider knowledge.  If that's the case you need to work on your communication skills.  Combine that knowledge with a cohesive, logical argument that we "Fans" can understand.  

9 minutes ago, Biggs said:

You're implying two things.  

First that a you're not just a fan that you have some added insight beyond other fans on this forum.  Clearly complete BS or a complete lack of transparancy on your part.  I suspect BS, since I have a long history of reading your posts and don't see any particular insight that goes beyond the average poster on this board, myself included.

Lets assume you actually have some insider knowledge.  If that's the case you need to work on your communication skills.  Combine that knowledge with a cohesive, logical argument that we "Fans" can understand.  

You are good at deflecting, I'll give you that.

Let's just talk Darrelle Revis for a second.  In 2015 he was good not great.  In that season he had 5 Ints, in 2010 when he was superhuman (after returning from injury) he had ZERO Ints.  So you think he was better in 2015 because he had 5 more Ints? Or that he sucked in 2010 because he had zero?  It's silly to compare CBs by Ints.

Now please get back to providing context about a 6 int/2 pick six tie game and how that QB wasn't at fault.

29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

You are good at deflecting, I'll give you that.

Let's just talk Darrelle Revis for a second.  In 2015 he was good not great.  In that season he had 5 Ints, in 2010 when he was superhuman (after returning from injury) he had ZERO Ints.  So you think he was better in 2015 because he had 5 more Ints? Or that he sucked in 2010 because he had zero?  It's silly to compare CBs by Ints.

Now please get back to providing context about a 6 int/2 pick six tie game and how that QB wasn't at fault.

Talk about deflection.  What do the INT's have to do with Revis being better or worse in 2010 vs 2015.  Where is the correlation that less INT's were the reason he was better?

I would make the argument that Revis was so dominating in 2009  when he was ruitenly targeted and had 6 INT's and defended 31 passes that QB's stopped challenging him in 2010.  The tape he put up in the two previous years to 2010 were dominating.  His 2009 season he did have lots of INT's to go with his 31 passes defended.  The lack of INT's were a direct result of the tape that teams had on Revis in 2008 and 2009.   

They lack of INT's in 2010 were the result of the INT's in 2009.  2010 and 2015 it's pretty clear he's production was down and he was again being thrown at.  The INT's were certainly a plus to his less effective overall game not a negative as you're implying.  

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

And he's actually arguing that turnovers don't matter in accessing a CB in the same thread.  

Like I said before, never seen someone play, has stong (and wrong) opinions based upon opinions of others.  

Pretty sure this is an annual hatefest.  

On 4/2/2021 at 9:13 PM, Barton said:

Actually they did throw at him because the other WRs were doubled-up to force more throws Revis's way because he was all alone without help. Hence the entire reason for the Revis Island nickname. e.g. in 2009 he was targeted 100x.

Agree on how great he was on the field, and at his best he was further moved to wherever the bigger (outside) threat would be, but factually he was targeted plenty. Nothing like Deion (or more contemporary for Revis, Asomugha) sticking to the same sideline even if the WR1 was lined up on the opposite side of the field, which naturally caused fewer attempts to his man. 

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

Talk about deflection.  What do the INT's have to do with Revis being better or worse in 2010 vs 2015.  Where is the correlation that less INT's were the reason he was better?

I would make the argument that Revis was so dominating in 2009  when he was ruitenly targeted and had 6 INT's and defended 31 passes that QB's stopped challenging him in 2010.  The tape he put up in the two previous years to 2010 were dominating.  His 2009 season he did have lots of INT's to go with his 31 passes defended.  The lack of INT's were a direct result of the tape that teams had on Revis in 2008 and 2009.   

They lack of INT's in 2010 were the result of the INT's in 2009.  2010 and 2015 it's pretty clear he's production was down and he was again being thrown at.  The INT's were certainly a plus to his less effective overall game not a negative as you're implying.  

The discussion was about certain DBs being better because they had more Ints.  I said judging a CB on Ints was a mistake and you waddled into the discussion to blast me for it.

So QBs stopped going after him which was why his ints went down? You don't say?  You do realize that was the point, right?

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Like I said before, never seen someone play, has stong (and wrong) opinions based upon opinions of others.  

Pretty sure this is an annual hatefest.  

Still waiting for the context about how joe's 6 Ints and 2 pick 6's didn't cost the jets in a game that ended in a tie.

I look forward to you discussing this??