"Pity the Fool(s)!"...

Simple, don’t take either one, keep Sam one more year. Trade the second pick for a haul, infuse the team with young talent for years to come. Bring in a veteran to back up Sam if he falters, if he does well with talent around him the QB issue is solved. If he still sucks we will be in a good position next draft to get the best QB from that class.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Fast forward a few months and Wilson is going to have the luxury of playing against defensive talent he’s never come close to seeing *and* he’ll be playing with lesser talent than the teams he’s facing, so we better hope he has some innate courage.

Well, we agree there. Although, I think the roster can be improved dramatically with a good draft. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’m not a huge Fields guy either, but I’m bad at understanding which QBs will be good. But if we’re talking tools and skill sets, I think Fields is the superior guy by a lot. I worry that Wilson has a huge learning curve ahead of him when it comes to the physicality of the NFL game.

5 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Poor JD...

Imagine the pressure...

After these 2 pro-days...

Wilson ahead of Fields?...

Fields ahead of Wilson?...

Lower probability that both will be busts, or that both will be good...

Higher chance that one will be solid and that one will bust...

But who is the right pick?...

Poor Jet fans...

If history holds, lower probability that JD will make the right pick...

Higher probability that 3-5 years from now, JD will be gone...

And we will be sitting here, again, with a top 5 pick...

Analyzing QB pro-days...

5449EDAA-AF9D-46D0-B54F-97428811CDE6.gif

i bet he wished he sat the starters after the raiders game. we all would be talking about #23. 

11 hours ago, Nixhead said:

When we picked three a few years ago Darnold was the right pic at that time correct? So I think it’s more about how we develop the quarterback who we put around the quarterback the system were running and which quarterback is best for that system. They all have talent they all have good physical skills some are  better runners some have a stronger arms some are  more accurate but it’s what we do with the quarterback how we develop them that will make the difference.

Exactly! Sam is the perfect fit for this system and now has 3 years of NFL experience.  Build around him.

12 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

I remember the days Mac was hailed in here for getting to 3

and Darnold was the savior

How far we have come....

And the schmuck had to trade away 3 second round picks.   he passed on 2 TOP QBs to draft a safety.   A QB league and he drafts a safety when we are playing FITZ.     MAC should be at White Castle.   

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Poor JD...

Imagine the pressure...

Poor Jet fans...

Analyzing QB pro-days...

Pressure? What pressure? It’s not like his predecessors have been overly successful. 

If he finds a QB that doesn’t turn the ball over too frequently and even can score some TDs on a regular basis he will be hailed as a king. 

15 hours ago, jetswinbaby! said:

Poor JD...

Imagine the pressure...

Poor Jet fans...

Analyzing QB pro-days...

I hope no one believes whichever QB we draft, if at all, was determined by their pro days

16 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

This decision has already been made...and it was made a while ago.

Source?

Oh, it's just your opinion, right.  My bad.

Yeah, nothing has been decided "a while ago". 

JD would be a inept fool if he had already definitively decided "a while ago".  

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Source?

Oh, it's just your opinion, right.  My bad.

Yeah, nothing has been decided "a while ago". 

JD would be a inept fool if he had already definitively decided "a while ago".  

Logic is my source.

This decision was probably mostly made two months ago.   If JD hasn't made his mind up yet it would be very worrisome.

In fact, I believe the decision to move on from Sam was made last off-season.

• Upvote 1

Back on-topic to the OP:

Fields has the better arm, but Wilson's is more than good. 

Fields has the better mobility, but Wilson isn't a statue by any stretch. 

Fields has played the better, more NFL-like competition.

Fields has more experience (34 games to 30, minor.)

Fields is more of a winner (22-2 in his career).

Fields was more accurate (68.4% to 67.6%, minor.)

Fields threw less interceptions but Wilson had alot more pass attempts.

Fields is bigger, stronger and with a better frame (228 to 210 pounds, both are listed as 6'3", in before doubts about Wilson's height lol)

The biggest concern I have with Fields is the scouting report(s) that he has trouble with decision making and making reads beyond the first receiver, and could have problems at the Pro level very similar to Sam, i.e. throwing Interceptions and making the "dumb" play at the worst moment.

Wilson is near universally described as "smart" and that "He possesses outstanding intangibles, and his ability to quickly process information on and off the field is second to none in this year's draft.".

Ultimately, while I have a bad feeling about Wilson, I have no evidence against Wilson.  Fields however, is every bit the pro prospect Wilson is and then some.

I think I would draft Fields.  But I'd do so worried I might be replicating the same problem we have with Sam, decisions and turnovers.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

The biggest concern I have with Fields is the scouting report(s) that he has trouble with decision making and making reads beyond the first receiver, and could have problems ta the Pro level very similar to Sam, i.e. throwing Interceptions and making the "dumb" play at the worst moment.

Wilson is near universally described as "smart" and that "He possesses outstanding intangibles, and his ability to quickly process information on and off the field is second to none in this year's draft.".

this skill is the key to quarterbacking and is usually the reason qbs succeed or fail.  the last qb the jets drafted who was a good decision maker was pennington and that's why he didn't suck despite his injuries and weak arm.  i don't care how big someone's arm is.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

this skill is the key to quarterbacking and is usually the reason qbs succeed or fail.  the last qb the jets drafted who was a good decision maker was pennington and that's why he didn't suck despite his injuries and weak arm.  i don't care how big someone's arm is.

And lets be clear, Wilson is no Pennington.  His arm may not be quite as strong or his passes quite as bullets as Fields is capable of, but he's no slouch. 

He can (ugh, cliché) "make all the throws".

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And lets be clear, Wilson is no Pennington.  His arm may not be quite as strong or his passes quite as bullets as Fields is capable of, but he's no slouch. 

He can (ugh, cliché) "make all the throws".

right.  the salient point here is that even with a weak arm, pennington was more effective than guys like geno and darnold who can rip it.  i think these pro days emphasize the wrong qb traits, the pure physical ones, but as has been mentioned here, in wilson's case his stature and arm strength was more in question than his decision making so having everyone see him do it in person was more revealing than seeing fields rip it.