Proud dad of a new Jumbo

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

My daughter just got into my alma mater, Tufts.  Almost certain that's where she'll be going this fall.  Could not be more thrilled since it's nearby, I know the school well, and she will now get to taunt the numerous Pats fans assuming Joe Douglas does his part.

Big Man on Campus | Tufts Now
Just wanted to share with my peeps.

Anyone else have a kid starting college this fall?

Fun fact, the first modern style college football game ever played (depending on a few factors) was between Tufts and Harvard.  And Tufts won.

Dan that is amazing. I didn't know you went there. Incredible school you must be so proud.

Also, I will start being nice to you now that I know you are smart.  :)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Dan that is amazing. I didn't know you went there. Incredible school you must be so proud.

Also, I will start being nice to you now that I know you are smart.  :)

What?  Sexy and Sarcastic wasn't enough reason?

• Haha 1

Surprise update.  We did a diligence trip down to UVA.  My daughter was not really excited about it but we convinced her to take a look before she decided.  Got a tour from an old college fraternity brother who is a dean down there now and surprise, she loved it.

Now she's got some thinking to do, but apparently, instead of a Jumbo, we may have a Cavalier (or Wahoo).  Certainly would make for a better NCAA experience.  Any UVA people out there?

On 3/30/2021 at 8:29 PM, nycdan said:

My daughter just got into my alma mater, Tufts.  Almost certain that's where she'll be going this fall.  Could not be more thrilled since it's nearby, I know the school well, and she will now get to taunt the numerous Pats fans assuming Joe Douglas does his part.

Fun fact, the first modern style college football game ever played (depending on a few factors) was between Tufts and Harvard.  And Tufts won.

GREAT for you!!!! Difference between you and me? I did NOT want my kids to go to my Alma Mater.  happy for you brother!!!!!  

7 hours ago, nycdan said:

Surprise update.  We did a diligence trip down to UVA.  My daughter was not really excited about it but we convinced her to take a look before she decided.  Got a tour from an old college fraternity brother who is a dean down there now and surprise, she loved it.

Now she's got some thinking to do, but apparently, instead of a Jumbo, we may have a Cavalier (or Wahoo).  Certainly would make for a better NCAA experience.  Any UVA people out there?

TONS here in Charlotte.  UVA is a GREAT GREAT school.    Charlottesville a few hours from DC , 4 from Charlotte, 3 from Raleigh.  Great school.  

• Upvote 2

Head football coach there is a buddy. Great dude.

The first ever college football game was Rutgers vs. Princeton.

17 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Head football coach there is a buddy. Great dude.

The first ever college football game was Rutgers vs. Princeton.

Depends on how you interpret it.  Not really a big deal but here is some context for the debate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historically_significant_college_football_games

1875 Tufts vs. Harvard football game Harvard Tufts

Considered the first modern style American football game played in the United States. Significant rule changes made it far more modern than previous games, including each side fielding 11 men at any given time, the ball was advanced by kicking or carrying it, and tackles of the ball carrier stopped play.[4]

https://ase.tufts.edu/athletics/old/menFootball/press/2004-2005/firstgamebuzz.html#:~:text=Tufts University has officially claimed,with that conclusion in 1986.

The Tufts claim is based upon the Rutgers-Princeton game more closely resembling soccer. As Dupont stated, an 1874 game between McGill University in Montreal and Harvard first employed the "Boston Rules" with 11 men on a side, and non-continuous play. Tufts and Harvard later became the first American colleges to play under these rules.

Interviewed by Dupont, Bob Casciola, president of the National Football Foundation/College Hall of Fame, supported Tufts' contention by saying that "the '69 game only allowed kicking the ball … while picking up the ball and running with it to advance the offensive play was central to the '75 game."

• Upvote 1

On 4/4/2021 at 11:14 AM, nycdan said:

Jeez, 2 great schools!  Good problem to have!

A family friend of mine was absolutely brilliant yet still got wait-listed at UVA.  He transferred in after spending a year at Drew University.  Absolutely loved it and still lives in the Charlottesville area.  Met his wife in VA.  She worked at Langley for years, as a spy I assumed.  No idea what he ended up doing even after he explained it a few times. lol.  Their kids are all mini-geniuses. 

• Upvote 1

No, but still paying off tuition from three of them. 

j/k  congratulations!