Pro Day observation of Pitts

3 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Cool story bro.

can pitts play qb?

Well, considering it didn't matter help Darnold....you know, the QB to end our QB woes!   If you don't have any talent, it doesn't matter.  Might be time to take a different approach.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Can Zach Wilson stay healthy in the nfl or play well against Coastal Carolina?

PhilC1 on a message board in 84 discussing the QBs in the draft 

“That Todd Blackledge won a national title and played great against great competition thats my guy. Elway went 4-7 what a bum..I’ll pass”

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RogerVick1980 said:

“That Todd Blackledge won a national title and played great against great competition thats my guy. Elway went 4-7 what a bum..I’ll pass”

Did Todd Blackledge tear labrums in both shoulders and break his thumb in his throwing hand by age 21?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Would the Pitts-guys give up #34 and a 2002 first to take him? I think that's the only realistic scenario that might work as a trade-up option? 

I don’t think teams who have QBs would give up the chance to take him or Chase. Right now it’s likely Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Pitts, Chase imo. Unless Atalanta is thinking Trey Lance.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t think teams who have QBs would give up the chance to take him or Chase. Right now it’s likely Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, Chase, Pitts

Yeah you are probably right. You'd have to figure one of Atlanta/Cincinnati/Miami would take him, and Miami wouldn't trade with us anyway. The only realistic shot would be if he lasts to 7 and Detroit, who have Hockenson. 

For that to happen, someone would have to trade with Atlanta for a QB, Cincinnati take Sewell and Miami take Chase. A lot of stars would need to align on draft night. 

17 minutes ago, K_O_Brien said:

Yeah you are probably right. You'd have to figure one of Atlanta/Cincinnati/Miami would take him, and Miami wouldn't trade with us anyway. The only realistic shot would be if he lasts to 7 and Detroit, who have Hockenson. 

For that to happen, someone would have to trade with Atlanta for a QB, Cincinnati take Sewell and Miami take Chase. A lot of stars would need to align on draft night. 

If Atlanta wants to try still with Ryan, he makes sense there.

If Julio is healthy, that is a very tough duo.

5 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If Atlanta wants to try still with Ryan, he makes sense there.

If Julio is healthy, that is a very tough duo.

They have Ridley already. I think they’d probably take Pitts over Chase. But idk it’s probably whoever they graded higher. These types of touchdown scoring prospects will always go ahead of the offensive lineman.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

They have Ridley already. I think they’d probably take Pitts over Chase. But idk it’s probably whoever they graded higher. These types of touchdown scoring prospects will always go ahead of the offensive lineman.

That is a deadly trio of receivers to deal with.

4 hours ago, peebag said:

Can you imagine SF grabbing Pitts and running double formations w/ him and Kittle?

Kittle is always hurt and is going to continue to miss lots of time.  I wouldn’t be overly shocked if they changed their minds went Pitts and stuck with Garropolo 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Can we stop the narrative that he looked like Darnold in the SB.

Mahomes had about three or four passes while falling down and from crazy angles that were super  human that his WR’s dropped that could have been TD’s or big plays..

Nothing about it resembled Darnold except for sub par stats and a loss 

Sorry, how well did the Chiefs offense do?  

That's right....not well.  Last time I checked, Mahomes didn't get the Super Bowl for a couple of crazy angled super human throws.  They lost.  And that's what happens when a great QB has sub-level talent around him.  He loses.  So, Sam Darnold didn't have a chance, considering he isn't as good as Mahomes, and the talent he was surrounded with for three years was barely above college level.

It really is mind-boggling that this is so hard to understand.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sorry, how well did the Chiefs offense do?  

That's right....not well.  Last time I checked, Mahomes didn't get the Super Bowl for a couple of crazy angled super human throws.  They lost.  And that's what happens when a great QB has sub-level talent around him.  He loses.  So, Sam Darnold didn't have a chance, considering he isn't as good as Mahomes, and the talent he was surrounded with for three years was barely above college level.

It really is mind-boggling that this is so hard to understand.

Its possible Darnold was in a bad situation and also stinks both things can be true 

50 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Its possible Darnold was in a bad situation and also stinks both things can be true 

It is VERY possible.  

But you can never know if the team stays bad.  

This is the point that has been suggested by a few on this site that I have personally warmed to:  What if you actually build a team first, THEN go out and get one of those decent QB's.  Every team keeps trying and trying to get one of the 5 elite QB's that completely change the game.  Yet, there are 50 QB's that bust before a top 5 is found.  Meanwhile, the league has 32 teams.  
But EVERYONE seems to think that they can find their QB in the first three picks, and they will miraculously turn into Tom Brady with absolutely zero talent around them.

Well, maybe it truly is time to rethink how to build a football team.  The time of finding one of the top three QB's and putting a decent team around them is over.  

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

It is VERY possible.  

This is the point that has been suggested by a few on this site that I have personally warmed to:  What if you actually build a team first, THEN go out and get one of those decent QB's.  Every team keeps trying and trying to get one of the 5 elite QB's that completely change the game.  Yet, there are 50 QB's that bust before a top 5 is found.  Meanwhile, the league has 32 teams.  
But EVERYONE seems to think that they can find their QB in the first three picks, and they will miraculously turn into Tom Brady with absolutely zero talent around them.

Well, maybe it truly is time to rethink how to build a football team.  The time of finding one of the top three QB's and putting a decent team around them is over.  

In an era where Qb is more important then ever and a great one can hide flaws  on your team ie Brady the last few titles with New England I don’t think teams are gonna stop their chase l for  an elite one and try to build around an average one. Look at who’s winning the SB’s the elite ones..

The Niners got to a SB and still realize how hard it is to win a sB with an average QB and are already looking to upgrade because they realize how important the position is.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

It is VERY possible.  

Agreed, especially when the league is morphing at QB more and more to where you can get a good vet QB under the right situation.

In the past it was almost unheard of for some of the names moved or tossed around to become available.

Also, teams move on from their drafted Qbs earlier all the time.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RogerVick1980 said:

In an era where Qb is more important then ever and a great one can hide flaws  on your team ie Brady the last few titles with New England I don’t think teams are gonna stop their chase l for  an elite one and try to build around an average one. Look at who’s winning the SB’s the elite ones..

The Niners got to a SB and still realize how hard it is to win a sB with an average QB and are already looking to upgrade because they realize how important the position is.

Tampa won theirs because they had already built the team and added the QB last.

Most of KC was built before mahommes got there.

The issue at QB is that you makes thing vastly easier to succeed even with a medium QB if the team is built.  If team talent is bad the QB has almost no chance.

Rams have a built team ... add Stafford

Niners are a built team ...add a guy in this draft.

The most success the Jets have had in like 50 years was with highly suspect Qb (Sanchez) and a built team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 hours ago, RogerVick1980 said:

We drafted Todd Blackledge three years ago.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The issue at QB is that you makes thing vastly easier to succeed even with a medium QB if the team is built.  If team talent is bad the QB has almost no chance.

The most success the Jets have had in like 50 years was with highly suspect Qb (Sanchez) and a built team.

But with an elite Qb the rest of the team doesn’t have to be nearly as perfects as if you have say  a Jimmy G.. it’s a hard cap league so every team even the  team that wins that win a SB has flaws which is why an elite QB is more important then ever.

I just don’t think in today’s  age you can pass up a guy in the draft IF you think he can be your franchise QB.. it will set your franchise back decades 

1 hour ago, RogerVick1980 said:

Yup, and there is 3-5 of them.  And teams stay consistently bad because if you don't have one, you go nowhere.  You can't expect a Sam Darnold, or a Kyle Murray, or a Joe Burrow, or a Baker Mayfield, or a Josh Allen, or a Jared Goff, or a Jameis Winston, or a Sam Bradford, or pick anyone of the dozen other QB's expected to come into a bad team, because lets face it....that is where most of them go, and carry a team to glory.  It doesn't happen.  Tom Brady the anomaly aside, the elite QB's have beat the non-elite QB's by about a 60/40 margin these past two decades.  Most of the elite ones won later in their careers; one winning because of the team and not him (Manning in Denver).

Maybe it's time to stop focusing on the QB so much and build a full team.  I mean, we went further with a better team and a mediocre QB (Mark Sanchez) than we did with a really bad team and one of the better QB prospects the past 5 years (Darnold).  Perhaps its time to stop presuming that you can suck at drafting for a decade and then LO AND BEHOLD!  We get the best QB in the draft class and he does nothing....SHOCKING!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Agree with you, but IMO the team Vinny took into Denver in 98 would have beaten the team Sanchez led into Pittsburgh in 2010

• Upvote 1