All Page 1 Zach Wilson Threads: MERGED

AFJF

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I’m fine with Wilson at 2, and I always enjoy a spirited repartee with bit, but in the interest of fairness, the RSP came out today and Waldman haaaaaates Wilson. Hates hates hates. He has him sixth, behind Lawrence, Lance, Fields, Jones, and Mills (!).

I'm assuming this is the exact order - Lawrence, Lance, Fields, Jones, Mills, Wilson

In that case, interesting. If Lance had more reps in college I would love him. 

Waldman on Fields

The truer statement about Fields is, that like many of the smartest NFL quarterbacks in the game, he has a slow processor in situations where only the fastest processor will do. A lot of people conflate processing with intelligence. When they heard that some NFL scouts believe Fields has a slow processor, they believe it’s a hit-job directed at the young quarterback.

Some have even labeled it a racially-tinged, assassination attempt of the player’s draft capital.

Fields has more than enough intelligence to be an NFL quarterback. The problem is that most people don’t understand what processing means for quarterbacking.

Processing the field encompasses identifying and acting in a timely manner. It’s a product of intelligence, familiarity, intuition, and confidence. Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick are two of the most intelligent quarterbacks in football if you judge this characteristic in the limited manner of the academics of football.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And if you actually had read the screenshot from the article Wilson has a second torn labrum he himself had said he would eventually need surgery for

I was just wondering if you could possibly paste from a larger font Phil.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm assuming this is the exact order - Lawrence, Lance, Fields, Jones, Mills, Wilson

In that case, interesting. If Lance had more reps in college I would love him. 

I have them as a toss up, just think Wilson gets the nod because hes shown a lot more when going through progressions and recognizing what the D is giving him.  Doesnt say Fields cant do it, just he wasnt asked to and struggled when forced to

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Waldman on Fields

The truer statement about Fields is, that like many of the smartest NFL quarterbacks in the game, he has a slow processor in situations where only the fastest processor will do. A lot of people conflate processing with intelligence. When they heard that some NFL scouts believe Fields has a slow processor, they believe it’s a hit-job directed at the young quarterback.

Some have even labeled it a racially-tinged, assassination attempt of the player’s draft capital.

Fields has more than enough intelligence to be an NFL quarterback. The problem is that most people don’t understand what processing means for quarterbacking.

Processing the field encompasses identifying and acting in a timely manner. It’s a product of intelligence, familiarity, intuition, and confidence. Alex Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick are two of the most intelligent quarterbacks in football if you judge this characteristic in the limited manner of the academics of football.

This is Darnolds problem as well

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Waldman on Fields

Well that’s just racist. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

You can’t argue with these folks. 

Wilson played against weak competition but also had inferior receivers and RBs. 

Lawrence, Fields and Jones played tougher competition but had VASTLY superior talent. On both sides of the ball. 

Personally, I feel it better to judge the competition the QB plays against vs the teammates they play with. There have been exceptions to the rule, but it’s generally led me to be right over the years.

Does having Megatron and Julio make one a better QB than if he had Devin Smith and Shaq Evans? Of course, because those guys make reads easier by getting open faster, and they make plays on the ball rather than waiting for the ball to drop into their hands.

Still, I think you learn more about a QB by watching how he plays against various competition. It’s far more nuanced and detailed than I’m willing to get into right now because I hear my kid crying as I type this, but suffice to say I’d rather have a guy like Russell Wilson who has consistently shown his ability to play well regardless of competition even with bad weapinz than a guy like Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers who have both consistently played down to their competition even with HoF teammates.

Put differently, I believe that getting a B with better teammates against better competition is more important than getting an A with scrubs against scrubs. 

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

It’s far more nuanced and detailed than I’m willing to get into right now because I hear my kid crying as I type this

Was he crying because he saw his dad type “it’s far more nuanced and detailed than I’m willing to get into right now” on a football message board?

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Want, hope, faith, dreams whatever we want to call it

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts every day would be Christmas...

Or if you prefer

If leaves and grass were +!+$ and @$$ every day would be Mardi Gras.

but this is Jets Land so...

If hopes and dreams were terrors and screams every day  would be Thanksgiving day 2012 and you'd be a Jets Fan.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Personally, I feel it better to judge the competition the QB plays against vs the teammates they play with. There have been exceptions to the rule, but it’s generally led me to be right over the years.

Does having Megatron and Julio make one a better QB than if he had Devin Smith and Shaq Evans? Of course, because those guys make reads easier by getting open faster, and they make plays on the ball rather than waiting for the ball to drop into their hands.

Still, I think you learn more about a QB by watching how he plays against various competition. It’s far more nuanced and detailed than I’m willing to get into right now because I hear my kid crying as I type this, but suffice to say I’d rather have a guy like Russell Wilson who has consistently shown his ability to play well regardless of competition even with bad weapinz than a guy like Matt Ryan or Phillip Rivers who have both consistently played down to their competition even with HoF teammates.

Put differently, I believe that getting a B with better teammates against better competition is more important than getting an A with scrubs against scrubs. 

He could only play who was on his schedule. 

How is Wilson a mistake at 2 but Trey Lance going top 5?

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Zach is the pick 

14 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Zach is the pick 

That Steve Young interview is in the nail in the coffin. 

Jax has made their intentions clear they are taking Trevor Lawrence. And every single arrow points to the Jets taking Zach Wilson. 

Mormons stick together and I am certain Steve Young, the Mormon former BYU QB whose book Zach wilson listened to on his drives to California, has spoken to Zachs family.  Him saying the Jets have recruited Zach Wilson’s family is a BIG nugget.

Its happening.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, David Harris said:

That Steve Young interview is in the nail in the coffin. 

Jax has made their intentions clear they are taking Trevor Lawrence. And every single arrow points to the Jets taking Zach Wilson. 

Mormons stick together and I am certain Steve Young, the Mormon former BYU QB whose book Zach wilson listened to on his drives to California, has spoken to Zachs family.  Him saying the Jets have recruited Zach Wilson’s family is a BIG nugget.

Its happening.

Young says later in the interview he has talked to Jets coaches and it’s clear the Jets are “locked in” on Wilson. (Jets passing game coordinator Greg Knapp was one of Young’s coaches with the 49ers.)

Young also called Wilson a “generational talent.”

1 minute ago, BroadwayRay said:

Young says later in the interview he has talked to Jets coaches and it’s clear the Jets are “locked in” on Wilson. (Jets passing game coordinator Greg Knapp was one of Young’s coaches with the 49ers.)

Young also called Wilson a “generational talent.”

Any mention of heel clicks?

• Haha 1