All Page 1 Zach Wilson Threads: MERGED

AFJF

3 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Thanks for ignoring the rest of my post.  Wow NFL Dbs can cover? Really?    Is he the first quarterback from a small school playing against "inferior" dbs?  I mean seriously, you gotta stop.   Of course he will need to make an adjustment, that should go with out having to be stated.  I mean I am talking to a group of seasoned football fans, at least I thought I was.   The overall point is with his arm talent and throwing NFL RECEIVERS he will be fine.    He has an NFL arm and then some, that is bottom line.  It would be good if folks could stop looking for reasons for him to fail.   Damn, you must be real fun at 

The small school bad competition criticism is so dumb. 

Remind me who the current best QB in the AFCE played in college? 

Pretty similar schedule. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Gramsci said:

Zach Wilson beat USC and Tennessee as well. It wasn't this year, but he did beat them. 

And after getting off to a decent start through the air vs Tennesee, they stopped throwing the ball for a good stretch.  When they got the ball back inside their own 5 with a minute to go, Wilson drove them down the field for a FG and threw the game winning TD on the first possession of overtime.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

In OT, by 3.  
Technically the kicker beat them. 

Wilson got the ball inside his own 5 yd line with a minute to go and got them in to FG range before throwing the game winning TD in overtime.

Edited by AFJF

16 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans talking themselves into the greatness of a QB prospect who was on the verge of being a college backup six months ago is priceless

Video looks good.  I'm on board if JD drafts him.  Didn't you have similar concerns about Watson?  I need to re-read that necro thread.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

Please don’t start with the daily troll job. Lot’s of posters here are impacted by daily messaging lol

We don’t need to pick sides and have cute “ologist “ team nicknames before he is even drafted 

Tomshane stating bare facts is a “troll job”?

9 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

This is setting up to be such a jet-like disaster.  We give up on Sam after he has back to back horrible head coaches and no supporting cast for an injury prone egg whose claim to fame is making “beautiful throws” facing Butthole State

You, nor’ any of us, are any good at evaluating QB talent. Give it up.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Pretty similar schedule. 

Allen is/was an incredible physical specimen. Wilson might be decent in between IR visits

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Allen is/was an incredible physical specimen. Wilson might be decent in between IR visits

Allen was an awfully awful inaccurate college QB.  In a crap football division. I know, I watched a ton of his games.

You never heard of him before the NFL draft.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

No one on this board did.  I got roasted for saying Watson might be as good as Dak Prescott

You thought Mayfield would bust, I thought Rosen would be great. No one knows sh*t about drafting and evaluating QB’s so we might as well take it back to the old days, take it back to where fans didn’t try to be arm chair GM’s.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

You thought Mayfield would bust, I thought Rosen would be great. No one knows sh*t about drafting and evaluating QB’s so we might as well take it back to the old days, take it back to where fans didn’t try to be arm chair GM’s.

Folks only mention the few guesses they got right, never the multitude of guesses they got wrong.  

Some folks make multiple guesses just so they can say in hindsight "I toldja we shoulda taken dat guy!"

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I like that the Jets haven’t even drafted this guy yet but JN already has a camp who hates his guts and a camp who shamelessly capes for him 

Yup.  I'm on neither side, because I can't find my Magic 8-Ball to make a firm decision like so many others here who already know how Wilson will perform in the NFL.   

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

Well, at least we've identified your evaluation problem.

Be assured, you WILL care about who he's playing against at the NFL level.

Because NFL DB's can actually cover.

The future Amazon delivery truck drivers at DB for North Alabama.....not so much.

Even a casual perusal shows that Wilsons receivers were often 3-5 or more yards open vs. their pathetic opponents DB's

That simply isn't going to happen at the NFL level.

I'd say that no QB prospect in this draft will have a biggest challenge to overcome that Wilson does going from North Alabama DB's or NFL DB's.

Yeah but the WRs, OL and offensive weapons Wilson had will be the competition for those DBs to get those Amazon driver jobs.  The BYU offense was full of crappy players just like the opposing defensive backs.  It works both ways.

Anyone with the "level of competition" argument against Wilson should be evaluating the garbage Wilson had to work with at BYU on the offensive side, but of course the only mention is the garbage he played against on the defensive side.  

That's the big problem with level of competition arguments.  It's not like BYU had an NFL ready offense against juco defenders.  The entire line of reasoning is faulty because of the holes in the underlying logic.  

9 hours ago, JetBlue said:

You have very weird view on life my friend... 

Fair.

I get it, alot of fans simply fall in love with whomever puts on the colors, or is likely to put on the colors in the future.  They see nothing but great things in every new signing or draftee, and if they don't live up, those folks think the signings/draftees will still live up in the future.  It's a bit mindless, but I'm sure it's what they enjoy, and since sports are a pass-time, a hobby, everyone is entitled to enjoy it however they wish.  This is why so much of the board fell in love with Sam, an obviously flawed player to anyone paying attention, and were still calling him "elite" at this or that and the like as late as mid-2020-season.  Same way folks fell in love with equally flawed players, like Geno, Sanchez, and for more than will now admit 

I enjoy it by being a dedicated realist, an objective analyst Monday thru Saturday, and only on Sunday does my inner homer come out, for game time.  I enjoy being critical, being a doubter, being a cynic, telling you why it won't work out.  We have more than enough dreamers who will tell you it will work out.  We don't need more.  We need a few cynics like me and Bit around IMO.

8 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Folks only mention the few guesses they got right, never the multitude of guesses they got wrong.  

I saw Mahomes and Watson for what they were in 2017. In 2018 I said Darnold sucked, and Lamar Jackson was my favorite QB in that draft.

Just try to forget that I loved Christian Hackenberg in 2016.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Pretty similar schedule. 

Mahomes' competition was on the  garbage side too.  I find this "level of competetion" argument they make incredibly flawed.  

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yeah but the WRs, OL and offensive weapons Wilson had will be the competition for those DBs to get those Amazon driver jobs.  The BYU offense was full of crappy players just like the opposing defensive backs.  It works both ways.

Anyone with the "level of competition" argument against Wilson should be evaluating the garbage Wilson had to work with at BYU on the offensive side, but of course the only mention is the garbage he played against on the defensive side.  

That's the big problem with level of competition arguments.  It's not like BYU had an NFL ready offense against juco defenders.  The entire line of reasoning is faulty because of the holes in the underlying logic.  

Because it doesn't actually work that way.

A superior QB can elevate meh talent when playing against meh talent at the college level, where talent gaps can be massive.  

And there is no doubt that Wilson is better than both his supporting cast and his opponents.  With that said, BYU's talent is still worlds better than the North Alabama's of the world he played against.  

But when Wilson is no longer better than his opposition, when he is playing against the top 1% of DB's at the NFL Level, with WR's like ours so far, it's going to be a different world.  Maybe he will rise to it, maybe he is that rare as hensteeth small sized, small school, breakout star at the NFL level.  We'll see.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Mahomes' competition was on the  garbage side too.  I find this "level of competetion" argument they make incredibly flawed.  

Are there any criticisms of Wilson you DO find to be not flawed?

Also, what does Mahomes have to do with Wilson?  Different players of different sizes who played at different schools in different systems against different competition and will play for different teams in the NFL.  They literally share nothing whatsoever, so just because "Mahomes is great" means nothing to Wilson.  We could cite a dozen small school undersized QB's like WIlson who failed at the NFL level, why is the rare success the comparison, and not the more common failures?

16 hours ago, C Mart said:

Exactly!  It’s not talked about enough. There is no market tougher to play in than the NY market because of the media. 

You can trash Darnold and his results all you want but he couldn’t have handled himself  any better than the past 3 years especially during this past seasons disaster. Unlike Gase and Adams the past couple of years he fulfilled his media responsibilities every week. 

Darnold is a great kid.  Great personality, professional behavior and public commentary by him all awesome.  I wish he was a good QB.  I love the kid but hate his play.  I'd rather have a doosh win games than an Eagle Scout lose them.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Are there any criticisms of Wilson you DO find to be not flawed?

Also, what does Mahomes have to do with Wilson?  Different players of different sizes who played at different schools in different systems against different competition and will play for different teams in the NFL.  They literally share nothing whatsoever, so just because "Mahomes is great" means nothing to Wilson.  We could cite a dozen small school undersized QB's like WIlson who failed at the NFL level, why is the rare success the comparison, and not the more common failures?

You conveniently gloss over the arm talent and play making ability which is literally the only thing anyone is comparing between the two. Wilson is the same size as half the NFL starting QBs. Would love to see your list of failed QBs with Wilsons arm talent and production. 

I see two valid criticism for Wilson. 1. Injury history 2. a tendency to leave the pocket to early/prefer chaos over structure (similar to Darnold in this regard). 

2 minutes ago, QB1 said:

You conveniently gloss over the arm talent and play making ability which is literally the only thing anyone is comparing between the two.

Yeah, I hear this every cycle.  Sam supposed had "elite arm talent" and "elite accuracy" too.  I'm willing to bet you posted that claim yourself, Nico, at some point.  We're you also a huge Geno fanboi as well?  Pretty sure you were.